sickboy

Discover, Play, Promote missions and mods withSIX

pIzwzBL.png

Right on time for the holidays we are happy provide you with full mod version control for all your collections,

a new and awesome header for all content pages and many improvements to Play withSIX.

Click here to read all about the new goodies.

Edited by Sickboy

I have no idea how long I've had this problem because I've had a (non-Arma 3) DVD disc in my drive forever, apparently. However, when I don't have a disc (any disc) in the drive, PwS yells at me about inserting a disc into my drive. The only abnormal thing I can think of is that my DVD drive is the D: drive but my A3 install is my E: drive.

Any way to make it stop asking me?

I have no idea how long I've had this problem because I've had a (non-Arma 3) DVD disc in my drive forever, apparently. However, when I don't have a disc (any disc) in the drive, PwS yells at me about inserting a disc into my drive. The only abnormal thing I can think of is that my DVD drive is the D: drive but my A3 install is my E: drive.

Any way to make it stop asking me?

Hi gatordev,

I reckon in some place of the Game Settings probably there is a reference to the D drive, e.g a Game Path, Mod Path, or Synq Path, of one of the Games.

If you find and replace it, the problem should go away.

If you have trouble finding it, please send the logs to our Support page and I'll have a look.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

I liked SixUpdater a lot more than playwithsix. Can we still use six updater?

Hi,

I liked SixUpdater a lot more than playwithsix. Can we still use six updater?

Hi Denco,

Negative, it is EOL (End of Life), the underlying distribution technology and API has evolved a lot since.

What did you like more about SU, maybe we can keep it in mind when making improvements or even the next redesign :)

Hi Denco,

Negative, it is EOL (End of Life), the underlying distribution technology and API has evolved a lot since.

What did you like more about SU, maybe we can keep it in mind when making improvements or even the next redesign :)

With the old SU it was easier to make a repo for a group, we have some issues creating our own repo with PWS. Or we're just noobs and don't understand PWS at all. Is there a better way of creating and sharing our repository?

With the old SU it was easier to make a repo for a group, we have some issues creating our own repo with PWS. Or we're just noobs and don't understand PWS at all. Is there a better way of creating and sharing our repository?

Ah in terms of repos you need to use indeed SU still to create a repo.

Unless Shared Collections feature suffices for your needs. (perhaps with the Version control feature?)

Soon we'll also add custom repo support to Shared Collections. And then soon after we're planning to drop the need for SU for Custom Repo creation all together :)

Hi gatordev,

I reckon in some place of the Game Settings probably there is a reference to the D drive, e.g a Game Path, Mod Path, or Synq Path, of one of the Games.

If you find and replace it, the problem should go away.

If you have trouble finding it, please send the logs to our Support page and I'll have a look.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the reply, Sickboy. I went through all the installed games and I'm not finding any reference to my D: drive in the settings in the app or in the .log file. Very weird. I'll try and push this up to you guys on your support page.

Hi :) is playwithsix service down? been down for a couple days this end
We had a disruption in the web service this morning, it should be back up really soon.

All downloads and other non-web related operations should've been unaffected.

We had a disruption in the web service this morning, it should be back up really soon.

All downloads and other non-web related operations should've been unaffected.

Thanks for the heads up Sickboy :)

Hi Six Team,

I've used your programs for some time and find them very helpful.

I used to have PWS installed and I tried to update after some time of not using it.

Now I download the exe and try and install, but it won't work.

The panel comes up asking "Update Play withSIX from 1.3 to 1.60.904.2" and I click "install" but then I hear some disk activity and then nothing.

I've looked through this thread but couldn't find anything useful. Can you suggest anything I can try? I've looked through my HD but not sure what if anything to delete.

Win 7 64bit (no UAC).

Thanks.

I'm an idiot, I just clicked the "abort and don't ask again" option and it came up with the licencing then loaded! :)

Hi Sickboy

Started using PwS in April & although the interface seemed a bit unintuitive, it worked (really could do with a brief manual, text with a few screenshots would do).

Having been away/ill for some time, I launched PwS a few days ago & allowed it to update. It doesn't see any of my installed mods, even those (e.g., asr_AI3) that it had succesfully downloaded in April. It says "not installed" for every one of the >200 mods in my A2 directory, and for the >100 in my A3 directory. The location of my modfolders has not changed at all. Some do not use the default names, but that can be remedied; however most use the names assigned by the author(s).

It may be due to assumptions about location that appear to have been built into PwS. I have a 256 GB SSD with three directories: Win 7 ©, A2 (N) and A3 (O). Non-sequential partition letters result fom migrating existing W7 and A2 directories rather than reinstalling (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Also I only allow essential programs to be installed in "C" both because of space limits and to reduce the amount of temprary storage (downloads, non-essential programs like office suites, pictures, etc. are all in directories on my 1TB hard drive). While the A3 'page' in PwS allows me to access the A3 directory, for A2 the only listing it opens is "Libraries" - from which one can go nowhere else. Why not open a normal Explorer-type window? Note that I did manually enter the directory paths for both game folders.

Please could you tell me where the logs are stalled, and by what name? A system-wide search for *.log located lots of files but nothing related to PwS. They might help discovering why the latest version of PwS seems unable to find any mod folder in either game directory.

Final question: limited to mobile BB, I have to watch bandwidth use carefully (GBP24 + 20% VAT per GB overuse). In April when I had temporary access to a fast landline I downloaded the AIA Terrain Data Pack. I would like to upgrade to AiA SA when/if I can get PwS working. Is there a way of getting PwS to use the AiA DTP as a base to upgrade from? Perhaps by simply renaming the mod folder to whatever would be correct for AiA SA? This could also be useful for other on bandwidth-limited or slow connections, ofc.

Cheers

Orc

Your DE mirrors seem to have gone to shit. Random files seem to get stuck at 0% when downloading from there, and the download speed seems to be really slow. I've been hearing similar reports from others. I've tried AIA_TP and two RHS packs, and they failed on seemingly random pbos within their downloads.

I had to resort to blocking their domains through hosts as I couldn't find any built in way to force a mirror. App then fell back to the US mirrors which had better download speed than the DE ones ever did for me and had no issues.

Your DE mirrors seem to have gone to shit. Random files seem to get stuck at 0% when downloading from there, and the download speed seems to be really slow. I've been hearing similar reports from others. I've tried AIA_TP and two RHS packs, and they failed on seemingly random pbos within their downloads.

I had to resort to blocking their domains through hosts as I couldn't find any built in way to force a mirror. App then fell back to the US mirrors which had better download speed than the DE ones ever did for me and had no issues.

Hi Sniperwolf,

Thanks for the headsup!

We've found and addressed an error in the forwarding configuration, do you find it improved now?

Hi Sniperwolf,

Thanks for the headsup!

We've found and addressed an error in the forwarding configuration, do you find it improved now?

Didn't get a chance to try it earlier, but seems to work ok now. Tried with a few random addons.

Edit:

Spoke too soon I think, same symptoms.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Question for premium users? Do you notice good speed at the start then drops dramatically when you only have a couple files left to download? I thought buying premium was about faster download speed as part of the deal.

PWS is not very stable after the last few updates. Hit "update" or "diagnose" then crashes.

Type: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException
   Invalid enum value '' cannot be deserialized into type 'Six.Core.Domain.Options.ViewType'. Ensure that the necessary enum values are present and are marked with EnumMemberAttribute attribute if the type has DataContractAttribute attribute.
Source: System.Runtime.Serialization
TargetSite: Int64 ReadEnumValue(System.String, Int32, Int32)
Data:     [smartStackFrames=System.Collections.Generic.LinkedList`1[system.Object]]
StackTrace:
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.EnumDataContract.ReadEnumValue(String value, Int32 index, Int32 count)
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.EnumDataContract.ReadEnumValue(XmlReaderDelegator reader)
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.EnumDataContract.ReadXmlValue(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, XmlObjectSerializerReadContext context)
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.ReadDataContractValue(DataContract dataContract, XmlReaderDelegator reader)
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.InternalDeserialize(XmlReaderDelegator reader, String name, String ns, Type declaredType, DataContract& dataContract)
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.InternalDeserialize(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, Int32 id, RuntimeTypeHandle declaredTypeHandle, String name, String ns)
      at ReadMissionOptionsFromXml(XmlReaderDelegator , XmlObjectSerializerReadContext , XmlDictionaryString[] , XmlDictionaryString[] )
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.ClassDataContract.ReadXmlValue(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, XmlObjectSerializerReadContext context)
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.ReadDataContractValue(DataContract dataContract, XmlReaderDelegator reader)
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.InternalDeserialize(XmlReaderDelegator reader, String name, String ns, Type declaredType, DataContract& dataContract)
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.InternalDeserialize(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, Int32 id, RuntimeTypeHandle declaredTypeHandle, String name, String ns)
      at ReadUserSettingsFromXml(XmlReaderDelegator , XmlObjectSerializerReadContext , XmlDictionaryString[] , XmlDictionaryString[] )
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.ClassDataContract.ReadXmlValue(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, XmlObjectSerializerReadContext context)
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializerReadContext.InternalDeserialize(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, Type declaredType, DataContract dataContract, String name, String ns)
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.DataContractSerializer.InternalReadObject(XmlReaderDelegator xmlReader, Boolean verifyObjectName, DataContractResolver dataContractResolver)
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializer.ReadObjectHandleExceptions(XmlReaderDelegator reader, Boolean verifyObjectName, DataContractResolver dataContractResolver)
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializer.ReadObject(XmlDictionaryReader reader)
      at System.Runtime.Serialization.XmlObjectSerializer.ReadObject(Stream stream)
      at Six.Core.Tools.XmlTools.[](String )
      at ‰..(UserSettingsStorage )
      at Six.Core.Domain.Options.UserSettingsStorage.()
      at Six.Core.Tools.FileTools..[](Func`1 , String[] )
      at ‰..(UserSettingsStorage )
      at Six.Core.Domain.Options.UserSettingsStorage.()

Question for premium users? Do you notice good speed at the start then drops dramatically when you only have a couple files left to download? I thought buying premium was about faster download speed as part of the deal.

PWS is not very stable after the last few updates. Hit "update" or "diagnose" then crashes.

We're investigating the speed issues experienced by some users, as well as inability to download certain files.

One Support topic tracking the issue is available at: https://getsatisfaction.com/withsix/topics/unable-to-update-and-install-mods

Details like location, and which mods could help.

Regarding the error you posted; this should've been a temporary issue in one of the BETA builds, if you keep running into it, you should allow it to restore the settings from a previous build, e.g 1.60 or 1.61.

It's also possible to remove the affected setting from the XML file as well. We're working on improving our settings storage strategy to prevent such issues in the future.

Hope this helps.

sadh4yI.jpg

Starting strong in 2015 we focused our efforts on polishing the client and adding new goodies for community players.

Following the successful launch of moderated collections, many communities have been asking for a better integration of their custom repositories with our collection system.

So, wait no more! WithSIX now supports moderated collections with custom repo content. This means you are now able to publish and share your collections with mod version control like you used to, but with the new feature of being able to add custom repository content to your collections.

Read more...

Considering the news above, are there any plans to have a standalone repo manager tool that's not tied to that old beast Six Updater?

Question:

I have some mods on my SSD in the base game's folder, but then I have another folder defined as "Mods Directory" in the game settings. Why do the mods on my SSD show as uninstalled? I've only copied them from my other folder to my SSD since they are common between groups that I play with. Can this behavior be corrected?

Starting strong in 2015 we focused our efforts on polishing the client and adding new goodies for community players.

Following the successful launch of moderated collections, many communities have been asking for a better integration of their custom repositories with our collection system.

So, wait no more! WithSIX now supports moderated collections with custom repo content. This means you are now able to publish and share your collections with mod version control like you used to, but with the new feature of being able to add custom repository content to your collections.

Read more...

Awesome, have you got an ETA on the speed fix for premium users?

I have uninstalled, re-installed, and get more crashes than ever, about 30 today check you emails :( Not sure if this is part of premium but it is frustrating when you press something to update or diagnose it crashes. Even just having it running in the background WithSIX crashes without touching anything. Stability appears to be bad.

Edited by deVilspaWn