Sign in to follow this  
lugiahua

Scouting missions...?

Currently I am doing second optional scouting mission in Episode 2

I wonder if I did something wrong, but how am I suppose to assault enemy strong holds or armored convoy with only a rifle?

One of the objectives was to assault an enemy immobilized convoy...only turned out later there were two MRAP type car, both armed with HMG, and guarded by more than 10 men! And I got a rifle and some grenades...

In Arma2 such type of mission are done by squads, sometimes with indirect fire support. Did I miss something before starting the mission? Am I really going to finish all those objectives alone?

Check the armory and all the deceased you find/make and you won't have only a rifle with a few grenades.

If you get near the objective and realize that your chances to succeed are not currently that great, you simply have to improve your odds - make a plan, evaluate all possible approaches, get better equipment and return later. Adapt. There are no limitations (except time limit to next main mission briefing), so use all your combat skills, get familiar with guerrilla tactics, attack when you have a solid chance to succeed and you'll win.

To the immobilized armor - there are not two MRAPs, just one and one knocked-out APC. Also check the task description, you don't have to get them all...

Ah, thank you. I managed to knock out that car with grenades.

but now I ran into a different problem. I am on the third scouting mission, the one after "Topolia".

There seems an invisible minefields around the road intersection of grid 051144, between me and the objective "Air Domination". No matter if I was driving or on foot, some random mine would kill me.

I simply can't get close enough to the objective without instant death.

Is this part of the map design? or did Dev forgot to remove the boundary limit?

I believe these are the new hi-tech CSAT mines preventing any unauthorized person getting into the high-secured Kavala sector. Try to take the longer, but safer way along the southern coast.

Currently I am doing second optional scouting mission in Episode 2

I wonder if I did something wrong, but how am I suppose to assault enemy strong holds or armored convoy with only a rifle?

One of the objectives was to assault an enemy immobilized convoy...only turned out later there were two MRAP type car, both armed with HMG, and guarded by more than 10 men! And I got a rifle and some grenades...

In Arma2 such type of mission are done by squads, sometimes with indirect fire support. Did I miss something before starting the mission? Am I really going to finish all those objectives alone?

simly by trying, trying, failing and more trying man. I know the mission you speak of, actually this is the last mission i done before stoping playing. I died like 5 times, trying to assault stoped convoy, wherey ou have to kill AAF crew. Using few underbarel granade shots, disabled strider, i killed it's crew, then frew 4 granades behind the wall and killed lots there, some tried to surround me i quickly reacted and killed them, then killed the rest. Hard but not impossible, isn't that many people were asking at first episode, difficult missions?

I may be missing something, but is there a point to these tasks besides exploring Altis for fun? I reverted my game back to Bomos once I realized I was missing out on scouting missions (after beating the next story mission, so not too far... no spoilers though). I went off on one, picked up a medkit, a new vest and backpack, and some first aid kits, a new optic for my gun ... then went to accept the mission to see what would happen. All of these things went missing. My gun was replaced, as expected, but the optic on it disappeared, the vest was gone, not to be found in the chests ... and so were all those first aid packs and the medkit. It was a little disappointing, tbh. I was assuming you'd be able to hoard gear this way to prep for your missions.

I may be missing something, but is there a point to these tasks besides exploring Altis for fun? I reverted my game back to Bomos once I realized I was missing out on scouting missions (after beating the next story mission, so not too far... no spoilers though). I went off on one, picked up a medkit, a new vest and backpack, and some first aid kits, a new optic for my gun ... then went to accept the mission to see what would happen. All of these things went missing. My gun was replaced, as expected, but the optic on it disappeared, the vest was gone, not to be found in the chests ... and so were all those first aid packs and the medkit. It was a little disappointing, tbh. I was assuming you'd be able to hoard gear this way to prep for your missions.

They save the weapons and some equipment you acquired during side missions, so you can arm your team with better weapons.

I got several missile launchers and machine guns by the later of the chapter, my team simply blast the way into objective...even against enemy MBTs and helos. (My team shot down maybe three or four helos, and one jet throughout the chapter).

Supposedly you will be able to save other equipment even cars in the later update, but I personally wish I could have team mates during patrols.

They save the weapons and some equipment you acquired during side missions, so you can arm your team with better weapons.

I got several missile launchers and machine guns by the later of the chapter, my team simply blast the way into objective...even against enemy MBTs and helos. (My team shot down maybe three or four helos, and one jet throughout the chapter).

Supposedly you will be able to save other equipment even cars in the later update, but I personally wish I could have team mates during patrols.

What I really would have wanted was saving of the gear that you brought back in your vehicle because your personal gear was at capacity... but no, the vehicle's seemingly gone upon completing the patrol, and so are the contents therein. :( This was after I took out an Enemy Checkpoint, by means described herein:

The 'trick' for me was getting out of the vehicle from a distance that you're not so quickly spotted and bracketed with bullets or grenades -- I've since come to believe that this is why my vehicles kept getting wrecked -- and approaching on foot at an angle, so that the walls of the checkpoint block one of the static weapons, and then nailing the tower guards -- the guards on the ground didn't seem to notice them being killed -- and then the visible static weapon gunner from afar, in my case with a MRCO-equipped Mk18 ABR. They're the three main threats from afar, and killing them means that your challenges afterwards are individual enemies -- the low stone rows are just high enough to serve as cover while prone -- and not being killed by the other static gunner when you close in to clear the checkpoint. Ironically, one of the upsides of an individual enemy getting so up close as to actually be on the same side of my cover was that I was able to crawl over to his body after killing him and recover his gear while staying in prone throughout.

Yeah, I played the campaign the second time after stable version came out. It is far easier with a long range sound suppressed weapon. Took out whole check point without enemy even spotted me.

I also brought RPG42 to take out armored cars.

Hasn't try the third scouting mission yet, hope I will find a way around the mine field this time.

I wasn't clear on how to save all the loot. Now I know... you have to actually bring it back ON YOUR PERSON, and then deposit it in the armoury crates. Only guns/optics/mags will save, but that's at least stuff you can gear your squad with. I totally didn't RTB until I cleared the map, so I only came back with what I had on my person... tried depositing everything and that seemed to work out okay. I have a DMS/Mk-18 now doing the (second base)'s missions. And... sadly... not nearly enough AT for the amount of shit I'm running into.

Anyone know if gear given to your squad in the briefing screen comes back to you? Or do you lose it? I was thinking about finding enough guns and launchers to gear up my entire squad next time I get to do side missions... but I haven't had the chance to test it and don't want to waste my time if I don't get the gear back.

Oh. Not really a spoiler, but I found a mortar on the map while I was out exploring. I disassembled it, chucked it in my ATV, and then carted it around to places I wanted to blow the crap out of stuff at. It is... the best feeling.

These scouting/patrol missions are something i didn't know about, how are these side missions initiated as i would like to give them a go before i get to deep into the main Campaign. Cheers.

These scouting/patrol missions are something i didn't know about, how are these side missions initiated as i would like to give them a go before i get to deep into the main Campaign. Cheers.

If you have overheard the conversation, simply leave the base and go for an adventure.

You can also leave the base without knowing of these side quests and if you get closer to one, it will be activated.

Can u pick up team for scouting? A but silly playing Rambo :)

This was exactly why I visited today - I can't figure out how to bring a squad with me? At the moment I'm just rambo'ing it alone and thats even less realistic than COD! At least COD gave you some fake friends to work with.

Anyone know how to do this? I'd be VERY surprised if it was a design decision, I must be missing something?

The scouting missions themselves were nice - what Lato and Guy mentioned: having no team, is what makes them weird.

Also protip for those who are having difficulty finding hidden enemys during the sniper/specop mission:

If you see a building that's barricaded in a non-map-standard way, this building has enemies in it. Also typically the enemies are located near dead FiA soldiers

I've got the feeling that these were a great Idea, not entirely thought through. Why no effect on the main campaign? Why no teammembers (Buddy teams are a rule even for guerillas)?

Resistance even had persistency in personell and vehicles. It had been done before. What's the hitch?

Unfortunately it's the time. If we were better supplied with this rare commodity, most of the features you all have mentioned would have been implemented.

Lack of persistency of vehicles and other gear is to me -- and vehicle cargoes -- is more annoying than other issues at the moment...

Unfortunately it's the time. If we were better supplied with this rare commodity, most of the features you all have mentioned would have been implemented.

Why was it not delayed then?

I just finished the campaign, but I didn't know about these missions! Is there any possibility to play them even if then campaign is finished? Was there already such missions in the first episod?

Why was it not delayed then?
You mean delayed again... remember, "ADAPT" was originally projected for December 2013.

Thanks for the clarification,do you know if it will be included in a patch of some sort,ie: the ability to take teammates with you on side missions,would make the campaign a whole lot better,

Cheers,

Mick. :)