Sign in to follow this  
pipyn1970

ai view distance

Hi guys can someone please help me with this? I've been trying to get my head around it for ages but it's beyond me.

all I want is to stop ALL ai calling out targets over 300m. At the moment, I'm building a mission where the enemy drop mortars in triggers. The problem is the ai are "seeing" them from 1.5ks away & they are behind a hill!!!! How can I stop this & also how can I stop them calling out targets over 300m?

any help would be great please

many many thanks

paste this into the Init line of your Mortar Units:

this setCaptive true;

this will make them ignored by all AI.

for the 300m restriction i need to search a little bit, will tell you if i find something

E: you need to play around with the value:

this setSkill ["spotDistance",0.3]; // i have no clue how much 0.3 will be in meters ingame

for more AI manipulations look here

do you want all AIs (friendly and enemy) to have this restriction?

Edited by Lappihuan

@ Lappihuan - I tinkered with spotDistance in a stealth mission some time ago and from my observations, 0.3 would allow for a ~300m spot distance.

Thanks guys for the help.

Ye im trying all sorts of ways i can think of to stop friendly ai from call out targets they just wouldn't see in real life & trying to stop enemy riflemen shooting us at daft ranges.

Many thanks once again guys

then you can create a init.sqf inside your mission folder and past that inside it:

{
   _x setSkill ["spotDistance",0.3];
} forEach allUnits;

then all units that are present on mission start (placed in editor) will have this spotDistance.

E: woops i somehow overread that you only want friendly AI..

for that you can use this when using BLUFOR:

{
   if (side _x == WEST) then {
       _x setSkill ["spotDistance",0.3];
   };
} forEach allUnits;

and change WEST to EAST, GUER or CIV if you play on other sides.

@ Lappihuan - I tinkered with spotDistance in a stealth mission some time ago and from my observations, 0.3 would allow for a ~300m spot distance.

So this means spotDistance 1 will be 1km and that is the max spotDistance for AI?

Edited by Lappihuan

It would seem so, though I'm not saying AI couldn't spot past 1km. However in the stealth mission I did, 0.2 - 0.3 worked very well and the AI only seemed to notice me @ ~ 200 - 300m respectively.

I thought spotDistance value is multiplied by AI general skill. And there are like 20 different ways you can set AI skill. And god knows which one is master over another.