Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Rate the second episode!

Rate the second episode!  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Rate the second episode!

I don't believe this should be here, but rather the dev discussion only as its not released on stable and trolls being trolls, will post spoilers.

Haven't finished it yet, I find Survive to be better gameplay wise, I never liked the fact that you must command an unit in Arma 2 campaign and now we need to :(

7/10 as of now.

How about an "i dont intend to play it" option, just to see how many are all-in for the mp-play

Well, if you don't wanna play it, don't bother posting it then ;)

Just finished it.

8/10

I liked it a lot, probably better than Survive in my opinion.

I really enjoyed the opening mission, and especially the first scene.

Thanks

Craig

Finished it, I wish I could change my vote...9/10, really liked Kerry in this episode.

EDIT: One thing I didn't like is that one mission is the same as a showcase.

Edited by Holden93

You got to kill a character who you play as in a showcase. I approve.

Which mission was this? If you don't mind hint it. I didn't notice it.

I give 9/10, really like it. Except third patrol mission that I keep getting killed by random mines near obj, still can't beat it after 2 hours.

Which mission was this? If you don't mind hint it. I didn't notice it.

I give 9/10, really like it. Except third patrol mission that I keep getting killed by random mines near obj, still can't beat it after 2 hours.

It was the one where

you had to help a defecting officer from the AAF. You could either blow up some vehicles or destroy a chopper. The "Hydra" character, who you played as for both helicopter missions in the showcase section, dies in this mission if you choose to destroy the chopper. I found the best way to do it was to sneak to the enemy patrol with an automatic weapon, hide behind them, then shoot them all down with one magazine. Then I put the smoke on the main road, as well as my explosive charge, before having Orestes call in the chopper.

E: just finished the whole episode. Who are you, mister Miller? WHO ARE YOU REALLY?

Edited by steamtex

hi, does anyone know when part two willbe released?

ingame it says 21.01.14 (today) but steam don't update arma3

thx 4 answer

It's 8AM in Europe give them time...

---------- Post added at 07:01 ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 ----------

It was the one where

you had to help a defecting officer from the AAF. You could either blow up some vehicles or destroy a chopper. The "Hydra" character, who you played as for both helicopter missions in the showcase section, dies in this mission if you choose to destroy the chopper. I found the best way to do it was to sneak to the enemy patrol with an automatic weapon, hide behind them, then shoot them all down with one magazine. Then I put the smoke on the main road, as well as my explosive charge, before having Orestes call in the chopper.

E: just finished the whole episode. Who are you, mister Miller? WHO ARE YOU REALLY?

I liked the end, when Miller somehow

disappeared

BI, you're doing an awesome job with this campaign, very realistic but with an interesting plot at the same time.

Can't wait for Win!

The first campaign really was great. I enjoyed it a lot, and really think Bohemia delivered an astonishing part1 of the campaign.

I've been looking forward to Adapt for months now. Too bad it was a big failure and a huge disappointment.

The first campaign part took me four hours, and I rarely died, which means I didn't use much time doing things over again. The second one definitely took me less than four hours, and I died so many times, having to revert to previous saves and do a lot of gameplay over and over again. It was disappointingly short. Now, I know that all these side-missions that we could do were there to lengthen the gameplay-time, but to me, it's just filler. I want the story, the important parts. Not some side-things.

The enemy bots had hawk-eyes. They could immediately see you through any tiny black-covered window from a good distance away, even when they weren't looking towards you, and there were many other houses around them. The first mission was a good example of this. I must have died.... 15 times before I managed to beat it? Many other friends of mine rage-quit the first mission because they had the same problem. And yes, I was playing on easy.

Whilst your friendly bots, they were more realistic combat-wise. But then again, they were stupid as bread. Whenever you'd get into a vehicle, and command them to get in, they just either walk very slowly around in circles, or crawl around in circles on the ground to "secure the area" before they get in. You're sitting there like "Hey, Guys, Get the heck in, we've gotta get to the extraction point to complete the mission, and we've got a whole army of enemy vehicles incoming!" *Team crawls around on the ground like nervous turtles*.

The whole way the missions were programmed and laid out was also disappointing. A good example is when there are four teams, including yours, in a treeline just outside an enemy base. The leader tells you to command your team to attack the guards, and so you do. What does the team do? *Team crawls slowly towards the enemy base*, because they have to be stealthy, but they also have to get closer to shoot the guards even though they have long-ranged and scoped weapons. Where's the logic? Then the leader goes "Damn it, Omega! You're too slow and you've lost your chance to take them out! We're moving in now!" ...... Seriously, dude? -_-

The team had a life of their own. They didn't always follow your orders. Their instincts could take over some times. "Come on, let's retreat, team! Follow me!" *No, there are enemies, we must keel them before we can move!*

The men under your command disobeys your orders, and then you get the blame for not getting them back to safety.

Though, they were usually good shots. Sometimes, maybe even a little better than myself. And the campaign did have a few decent moments.

But all in all, this part2 was mainly a huge failure and a huge disappointment. That's why I'm giving it a 3/10. Now I'm just sad, and am not hyped for the next mission because I'm afraid it'll be as lousy as this or maybe even worse. I really hope Bohemia gets their mind together and deliver a part3 being better than the part1, because they owe that to us now, IMHO.

The first campaign really was great. I enjoyed it a lot, and really think Bohemia delivered an astonishing part1 of the campaign.

I've been looking forward to Adapt for months now. Too bad it was a big failure and a huge disappointment.

The first campaign part took me four hours, and I rarely died, which means I didn't use much time doing things over again. The second one definitely took me less than four hours, and I died so many times, having to revert to previous saves and do a lot of gameplay over and over again. It was disappointingly short. Now, I know that all these side-missions that we could do were there to lengthen the gameplay-time, but to me, it's just filler. I want the story, the important parts. Not some side-things.

The enemy bots had hawk-eyes. They could immediately see you through any tiny black-covered window from a good distance away, even when they weren't looking towards you, and there were many other houses around them. The first mission was a good example of this. I must have died.... 15 times before I managed to beat it? Many other friends of mine rage-quit the first mission because they had the same problem. And yes, I was playing on easy.

Whilst your friendly bots, they were more realistic combat-wise. But then again, they were stupid as bread. Whenever you'd get into a vehicle, and command them to get in, they just either walk very slowly around in circles, or crawl around in circles on the ground to "secure the area" before they get in. You're sitting there like "Hey, Guys, Get the heck in, we've gotta get to the extraction point to complete the mission, and we've got a whole army of enemy vehicles incoming!" *Team crawls around on the ground like nervous turtles*.

The whole way the missions were programmed and laid out was also disappointing. A good example is when there are four teams, including yours, in a treeline just outside an enemy base. The leader tells you to command your team to attack the guards, and so you do. What does the team do? *Team crawls slowly towards the enemy base*, because they have to be stealthy, but they also have to get closer to shoot the guards even though they have long-ranged and scoped weapons. Where's the logic? Then the leader goes "Damn it, Omega! You're too slow and you've lost your chance to take them out! We're moving in now!" ...... Seriously, dude? -_-

The team had a life of their own. They didn't always follow your orders. Their instincts could take over some times. "Come on, let's retreat, team! Follow me!" *No, there are enemies, we must keel them before we can move!*

The men under your command disobeys your orders, and then you get the blame for not getting them back to safety.

Though, they were usually good shots. Sometimes, maybe even a little better than myself. And the campaign did have a few decent moments.

But all in all, this part2 was mainly a huge failure and a huge disappointment. That's why I'm giving it a 3/10. Now I'm just sad, and am not hyped for the next mission because I'm afraid it'll be as lousy as this or maybe even worse. I really hope Bohemia gets their mind together and deliver a part3 being better than the part1, because they owe that to us now, IMHO.

What I hated most is the fact that you MUST command the AI, this was one of the reasons people complained about A2 campaign, I really hope we'll play as a normal soldier on Win and not as a squad leader. AI is just retarded, don't get me wrong, I liked this episode but most of the times I rambo'd everything because of the AI.

This is what happens:

1)AI meets enemy

2)Friendly AI starts fighting

3)You order them to fall back or move into cover but hey, first they need to kill every enemy otherwise they can't move or they crawl (seriously, why the heck to they ALWAYS go prone? )

4)Once the enemies are gone they move into cover, but before that they need to check for 5 hours for the area to be safe.

5)Repeat step 1

6) ???

7)Stop playing

Mmmh... well,

I loved Arma 2 Campaign Harvest Red.

Still not end this one, but i like it very much.

Playing in Veteran, using AI with mods, No problems at all until now.

INMERSIVE AND CHALENGING, just what i want in ArmA universe. Period

I honestly haven't had any problems with the AI yet. Once they did all die, but that was because I put them in that situation. I agree with Lordaltair, very immersive, and very challenging.

Good stuff.

-Craig

The campaign is solid, good story, nice missions. But what ruins both parts of the campaign for me is that nearly all missions have a time limit. You always have to run and do everything in a hurry and so you take too many risks. I understand that if you are under enemy pressure it's realistic, but it shouldn't be every mission. I feel like always fighting the clock and not the enemy.

Damn you BI!! Cliff hanger or what! You guys better get a rattle on as I need to know what dafuq's going on here!

But great job so far thanks :)

Aside from a few... issues... with AI squadmates (that other people have already said quite a lot on, so there's not much else I need to add), I quite enjoyed it. Especially the:

Convoy ambush, very nice callback to resistance!

The side missions were a nice touch, but I think ultimately the format of the scouting scenario wasn't particularly good (especially with limited quick/autosaves actived in the difficulty settings). I would have preferred something more along the lines of the side missions from the original ArmA campaign (optional missions that are still structured in the traditional scenario format).

Don't get me wrong, I like the open-world design, but I think "Skyrimmin' it" works against the Flashpoint formula here.

It was good, but had problems. I'd say... 7/10, if I'm giving it an honest score.

Problems:

- Micro-managing the AI was horrible. They need a degree of autonomy... it was so clearly obvious they were NPCs that it was immersion breaking.

- Having to re-do your loadout (and losing anything that wasn't a gun/attachment for a gun) in the process was annoying. They should've given you a more complete briefing pre-mission to facilitate proper loadouts pre-briefing screen. Keeping the NVGs would've been nice, at least!

- I enjoyed being able to explore Altis but more thought could've been put into it, more content put on the map. Early on I found a mortar, which was cool, but that was basically the most cool thing I found... and crashing your car was basically a death-sentence of having to walk everywhere.

- Sidemissions not having any effect besides getting you gear to complete missions was frustrating.

- I disagree that taking the AI out on sidemissions would've been nice. The AI are idiots. That would've been awful. It's unrealistic, sure, but unless the AI behaved better I wouldn't bother.

- Clearing an objective then having to inventory manage to get all the resources back to base was annoying. Clearing an objective should automatically have Kerry call in a pickup or something so you didn't have to personally lug all the contents of the crates home (or at least, the crates should've been pickupable and movable)

Plot thoughts:

Oh cliffhanger. The writing is pretty blatant in making out Miller to be a dick, but I would be disappointed (and surprised) if he ended up being worse than just a dick.

The worst part must being forced to command the AI when I have no previous experience with commanding AI. The challenge was just thrown at me like "Here, it's your problem now!". Yes, there was a little menu where you could get some hints, but you had to leard all of the AI commanding on your own. And you never got the chance to learn how to command them without ruining something in the mission so you'd have to revert. You didn't learn from your mistakes; you died from your mistakes.

And to top it off: I complained to my friend that the AI are stupid as bread, crawling around on the ground. He said you can command them to be in different behaviours. This made me recall seeing that option; you can order them to be stealthy, or defensive, or aggressive, etc. etc. if I remember correctly. This would, in some cases, fix their problems. But NOOO! Bohemia disabled that possibility in the campaign. Whenever you try to force that command, it's faded out in a weak grey color.

Conclusion: Bohemia throws the commanding at you and expects you to master it, with no mercy to let you learn it in any quick or easy way in the campaign, but then they also disable your possibility to master it, giving you zero chance to actually put it to good use. :mad:

It's like a father who's taking his son out to hunt deer. He places the bow in the boy's hands and says "I've got confidence in you son. After all, you have been practicing with bow earlier, so you should be able to kill that deer over there", then he hands the boy an arrow with a tennis-ball pushed onto the tip of it. "That's just for safety, so you don't hurt yourself or anyone else. Now kill that deer and make me proud!".

Edited by Skaara Dreadlocks

you can order them to be stealthy, or defensive, or aggressive, etc. etc. if I remember correctly. This would, in some cases, fix their problems. But NOOO! Bohemia disabled that possibility in the campaign. Whenever you try to force that command, it's faded out in a weak grey color.

Either you're using a mod that is messing with the command menu, or you need more practise using it. Behaviour commands are certainly not disabled in the campaign. That would be ludicrous.

So... It was very nice experience, I must say.

What made it so enjoyable:

- excellent voice acting. It may be sometimes underestimated, but when well done, it adds a lot to immersion factor;

- free roam scouting missions idea (may be for sure expanded and improved though);

- interesting and convincing plot (not that I have any guerrilla experience) :);

- overall well mission design - some nice moments, nearly no frustrating parts;

- other things like nice animations, music...

- all goodies, Arma game brings on my screen, too many for listing.

What was irritating:

- disappearing equipment, especially notorious theft of NVGs + night missions;

- too small car/truck trunks and overflowing boxes at base;

- especially in guerrilla warfare my collecting weaponry and stuff activity should have bigger meaning in some way, than it had;

- island is extinct. No civilians at all (well, there are some bodies...), only we, them, and animals watching all this war insanity around. Pity, avoiding civilian losses (or not) could be some nice tactical choises factor, also civilians en masse could play some role in the plot, partisans should be somehow dependent on locals support/sympathy;

- all issues, Arma game brings on my screen. One above all - AI (beeing in the same time one of the biggest advantage, it is about certain aspects only), that for example sometimes do not respond in any way not only on close shooting or killed comrades, but also ignoring own wounds (noted during sniping one of the checkpoints, perhaps soldiers was looped in some idle animation).

So, it should be 7.5, but will be 8, cause after finishing there was credits, and at the end of special thanks, just above supporters... I found my nickname listed. I understand, this is just dynamically pasted profile name as thanks for playing or something like that - very nice touch anyway.

Edited by Rydygier

Either you're using a mod that is messing with the command menu, or you need more practise using it. Behaviour commands are certainly not disabled in the campaign. That would be ludicrous.

Yes, yes it is ludicrous. I haven't installed any mods, and I'm completely certain of what I've seen. If you played it on a higher difficulty than the easiest, that might possibly allow for control of the AI's behaviour, but I wouldn't know. Either way, commanding AI's behaviour should not be disabled even on the easiest difficulty.

Did you select some units (F1-F10) before you issued the command?