Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Campaign Episode 2: ADAPT - Feedback thread ** SPOILER WARNING! **

Just finished it.

The AI are of course the biggest detriment to what was otherwise a fairly well written, immersive story. At the end I found myself excited that NATO had finally arrived so it did suck me in.

But your AI teammates just kill so many missions. On the final one I had to finish the 2nd half by myself because they all just froze in the town and wouldn't respond to orders.

Just finished it.

The AI are of course the biggest detriment to what was otherwise a fairly well written, immersive story. At the end I found myself excited that NATO had finally arrived so it did suck me in.

But your AI teammates just kill so many missions. On the final one I had to finish the 2nd half by myself because they all just froze in the town and wouldn't respond to orders.

Are you running any AI mods with the game? I haven't reached the end yet so I can't tell you if it happened to me ...... but during the mission where you have to take the supply truck I used the "bcombat" mod and my AI acted perfectly. When we had to engage the enemy, both sides (enemy and my squad) went at it ....they all took cover or went prone and then they had at one another. Some of the enemy even surrendered when they knew they were out-gunned.

I survived it on my first run also using a timed satchel and by driving the pickup like mad and only had to reload because some NPC friendlies didn't drive far enough from the blast radius causing friendly fire.

I did this mission first time escaping on foot through the wood, helo is less likely to spot you that way

What skill does your enemy AI have?

Are you running any AI mods with the game? I haven't reached the end yet so I can't tell you if it happened to me ...... but during the mission where you have to take the supply truck I used the "bcombat" mod and my AI acted perfectly. When we had to engage the enemy, both sides (enemy and my squad) went at it ....they all took cover or went prone and then they had at one another. Some of the enemy even surrendered when they knew they were out-gunned.

never the less, some of us would like to see the AI in the vanilla game improve

I just finished after being stuck on the last level. It's a really good story. Dat ending tho. Took me by surprise.

never the less, some of us would like to see the AI in the vanilla game improve

For sure. A lot of times I was able to just hijack an enemy MRAP and splatter them while they kind of screwed about looking at me and going prone while shouting but never doing anything.

So basically the only solution to successfully end this mission is to know what will happen next and to put yourself out of harm's way before anything happened.

Quite a lot of people were able to finish the mission without knowing what's about to happen, we've gathered so much from forum posts here, around the web, or from youtube videos. Feedback tracker doesn't mention this mission being unbeatable on the first run either.

If more people find it to be overly challenging, we will do our best to make it more accessible.

I was able to finish it without any trouble on enemy AI skill on 0,8 :)

Just finished the game. It has some really great ideas but overall it suffers in execution.

I noticed that the loadouts that the missions "adjust" you to seem to have a certain amount of randomization in them, also given that you are always allowed to go to the armory prior to the mission I really don't see any reason necessitating any sort of involuntary adjustment to the player's loadout between missions.

Also the adjustment has twice given me 40mm grenades while simultaneously handing me a rifle with no grenade launcher. And chemlights for missions that happen during the day.

Yes, I'm using bcombat.

Quite a lot of people were able to finish the mission without knowing what's about to happen, we've gathered so much from forum posts here, around the web, or from youtube videos. Feedback tracker doesn't mention this mission being unbeatable on the first run either.

If more people find it to be overly challenging, we will do our best to make it more accessible.

It's good to see that the devs take in what they read and maybe make some changes to what is there already. :)

I would really like to know the reason that with the side missions being so far away and no means of transport to get there,wouldn't it be better for us to have at least a few quad bikes lying around?

Good campaign though,enjoying it a lot,

Cheers,

Mick. :)

Just finished it. To sum it up: Fantastic. I can't wait for the next episode to be released. The story is really awesome and believable. That mysterios Miller-plot... - I'm really looking forward to what's about to come.

2 things that bothered me:

1. The scouting took hours. While it is a nice feature, I think it should concentrate on areas close to the camp. Especially during the last stage (Topolia or something), you will have to drive and walk (in case you're atv scratched a fence or something and was instantly disabled) for hours to get to those locations. In most cases I did never reach the target area, because I got shot by some tank standing 1km away from me, or a static GMG somewhere at a towns entrance. really annoying.

2. The mission where you've got to sneak through enemy territory to rv with Miller at the boats. It's insane, the AI will spot you every time, poceeding without contact seems to be impossible, I had to stick by the coast to the right and bypass the whole area to accomplish the mission.

Apart from that, the missions were great (diversity, yay!), music was good, voice acting was great, waiting for AI squad to regroup in combat situations was not so great (since 2009, Bohemia!, do something about it already!).

2. The mission where you've got to sneak through enemy territory to rv with Miller at the boats. It's insane, the AI will spot you every time, poceeding without contact seems to be impossible, I had to stick by the coast to the right and bypass the whole area to accomplish the mission.

Why would you do it any other way? The objective is to avoid contact. Why would you try to go through the enemy positions?

Where the hell do you guys hide to avoid being spotted by the Exit Strategy chopper?

I hide in a house, while my team mates were prone in bushes about 200m away from the LZ. This should be enough. We can't actually choose goods spots because we don't know what the chopper will fly over on the first pass.

I strongly suspect a bug, given reports of people having their entire team in houses. It's on the bugtracker, too.

Where the hell do you guys hide to avoid being spotted by the Exit Strategy chopper?

I hide in a house, while my team mates were prone in bushes about 200m away from the LZ. This should be enough. We can't actually choose goods spots because we don't know what the chopper will fly over on the first pass.

I strongly suspect a bug, given reports of people having their entire team in houses. It's on the bugtracker, too.

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16981

Pretty far in now. Great experience so far, except for the AI pathfinding making things extremely difficult at times.

On Bingo Fuel for example it was just impossible to move through the town in the beginning without losing all or most men... I had them hold their fire and they kept moving through the town so spread out that they always ran into one of the tank teams... frustrating. I hated the mission for that in the beginning and only made it through the town alone one time. Playing the rest of the mission on my own was such a great experience though and incredibly difficult. Sneaked into the base without killing anyone and cleared out the other base all on my own (Team Kappa was moving AWAY from the base instead of approaching it, no idea why) So all in all it was the mission i had the most fun with although i played it in ways i wasnt meant to...

I am curious if some players should think again about the way they approach certain missions. For example, I thought the Bingo Fuel mission was pretty easy- because the map is big and nobody tells you to walk right next to enemy positions. Crossing the highway was quite tensing... yet felt pretty easy to me, because I wasn't crossing it through the town. Walk a bit away, wait for enemy patrols to disappear and then get all your men on the other side. That's it. I lost nobody in this mission and there was no black magick involved.

Still, I strongly agree with people who rage about the squad ai. It was driving me mad at times, especially when my guys (let's call them idiots from now on) run out of ammo (which happened often and fast). I tell my idiots to pick up shit from a dead guy and then they spend the next 10 minutes with running to whatevertown, doing whatever. Sometimes - if I get lucky - they pick up other weapons at some point in time... And a minute later they are out of ammo again. It's madness.

Or that mission where you have to take out the mortar after a while... It was actually easier to do this alone, telling my idiots to stay back at the base. By the love of god, they don't have any AT guns, they are running out of ammo fast and the enemy comes with many soldiers and armored vehicles... Yet when I tell them to get the fuck out of that deathtrap they just don't want to listen. Makes me feel like they all deserve to die.

Also, I had to reload A LOT in various missions because of various reasons (idiotic squad mates, enemies killing me from a very long range without me seeing them, or just lots of unlucky moments). So yeah, Try&Error approach was what got me through the campaign in the end.

Still, I strongly agree with people who rage about the squad ai. It was driving me mad at times, especially when my guys (let's call them idiots from now on) run out of ammo (which happened often and fast). I tell my idiots to pick up shit from a dead guy and then they spend the next 10 minutes with running to whatevertown, doing whatever. Sometimes - if I get lucky - they pick up other weapons at some point in time... And a minute later they are out of ammo again. It's madness.

yep, getting AI to rearm can be very annoying. why do I have to go to 'more options' to get to 'inventory'? shouldn't that be on the first page of options (instead of a list of guns in the area. how would I know which to pick when they're mostly the same, and could be far from the unit I want to rearm?). and then if they're in 'combat' mode, they will run around the world before doing what they're told. I've found the best way is to make them move next to the body you want them to loot, and then do the 'inventory' thing

Edited by daze23

I am curious if some players should think again about the way they approach certain missions. For example, I thought the Bingo Fuel mission was pretty easy- because the map is big and nobody tells you to walk right next to enemy positions. Crossing the highway was quite tensing... yet felt pretty easy to me, because I wasn't crossing it through the town. Walk a bit away, wait for enemy patrols to disappear and then get all your men on the other side. That's it. I lost nobody in this mission and there was no black magick involved.

There are definately invisible borders in the adapt campaign that prevent you from running around obstacles too much.

In Bingo fuel i tried to get arround the town far to the west when suddenly my teammates were reporting mines. Those mines were not to be seen on the ground or map, yet they killed me 5 seconds later without me moving. Same thing happened to me with the fuel truck one time. I took a right turn when leaving the base instead of a left turn and when the objective got updated the road i had followed looked a lot safer than going back along the road where Kappa was fighting a couple of survivors. The thing is that my truck suddenly exploded while driving that road and i am pretty sure there was absolutely nothing shooting me.

So yeah, i usually think around the corner in missions, but in the Adapt campaign A3 will only let you do that to a certain extent...

In the end you might find ways to avoid contact somewhere, but that doesnt change the fact that there is a definite way through the town that is nearly impossible to take because of stupid AI movement

Edit: Was about to finish and ran into this: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16926

Edited by Kavoriken

It's good to see that the devs take in what they read and maybe make some changes to what is there already. :)

I would really like to know the reason that with the side missions being so far away and no means of transport to get there,wouldn't it be better for us to have at least a few quad bikes lying around?

Good campaign though,enjoying it a lot,

Cheers,

Mick. :)

In both of the first two side missions I've found quad bikes just after leaving the camp... Idk what direction you left though, that could have been the cause. Leave down the road and you should find one. Also I've found plenty of other vehicles around so I've been quite happy with the side missions. Gives me plenty to do =3

Or that mission where you have to take out the mortar after a while... It was actually easier to do this alone, telling my idiots to stay back at the base. By the love of god, they don't have any AT guns, they are running out of ammo fast and the enemy comes with many soldiers and armored vehicles... Yet when I tell them to get the fuck out of that deathtrap they just don't want to listen. Makes me feel like they all deserve to die.

Also, I had to reload A LOT in various missions because of various reasons (idiotic squad mates, enemies killing me from a very long range without me seeing them, or just lots of unlucky moments). So yeah, Try&Error approach was what got me through the campaign in the end.

Yes now x-6-y is such a mess, close door, close door,...close door,close door,take xxx, take, xxx, take xxx, take yyy, take yyy, take yyy, ... inventory... solute...what the hell is it telling? I don't care the door and I really care that the man I choose can move to the position I choose and finished the action quickly. But now, what a mess...

Well then I guess I'm the most unlucky person in the world =). A couple of my tries ended with last autosave (after you blow up the truck) occured right when at first Ifrit GMG and then a helicopter already locked me down, so every load finished with me dead in next second. And I was on foot, mind you, NOT in the vehicle. And what about blowing up the truck before capturing it? It should be "Mission Failed" or it goes in some other direction, not continue like nothing happened, and when you arrive at hiding point Miller (or whoever that was) telling you to blow it up.

Now that I´ve finshed the Episode, here is some feedback:

Signal lost:

Very nice Mission and a good opening to the episode. I played it with bCombat and it was really intense playing hide and seek with patrols as they tried to hunt me down.

Common Enemy:

Again a very nice mission. I didn´t like that the two guys in the back of the offroad were just sitting there with their gear and their guns while we were driving towards an AAF checkpoint. The rest of the mission was very good.

Supply Network:

Nice hit and run mission with a nasty surprise at the end

Breaking even:

Another nice Mission but I never managed to kill the two guards on the towers without beeing detected. The rest of the Mission was good.

Exit strategy:

I really liked the idea of this mission. First I tried to go for the helicopter ambush but somehow the helicoper spotted me every time before landing, even I was hidden in a house. Or maybe it spotted the dead patrol? bCombat might be responsible for this. I restarted the mission and assaulted the repair point, that worked.

Bingo Fuel:

What a long mission. Crossing the highway was easy but I got into some heavy contact as we approached the friendly unit on the southern side of the highway. I was chased by AAF Patrols for quite some time after that. Made it very intense but I also had to revert quite a lot. I delivered the cistern to Millers guy but never received the eliminate HVT Task. At that moment I didn´t know about that and drove my guys back to base.

Within reach:

Now that was easy. I didn´t see a single enemy apart from a vehicle patrol. Maybe I´m just super sneaky. But it was nice that I didn´t have to fight my way through hordes of enemys for a change.

Attention Deficit:

A remastered Night showcase mission. You did a pretty good job on that. While it was still essentialy the same Mission it had a totally different feel to it. I liked that I could choose my insertion point. That was very well done.

Beyond recognition:

Almost a flawless mission. Two things: I was lucky that I had picked up a RPG, otherwise I wouldn´t have known how to deal with the Gunship. And after the town was secure Kerry said that we had suffered some losses wich was not true (I still had all my men).

Scouting Missions: I didn´t like them very much for various reasons:

1. Why am I always alone? It would be nice to be able to recruit at least one other dude, or have your squad with you so that you can scanvenge weapons and equipment for all of them.

2. Why is the equipment not saved? I have to find a new GPS, new NV googles and a new backpack every time... During the last scouting mission I found some plate carriers and took them all for my team. Sadly they weren´t saved either.

3. The performance seems to degrade the longer the mission goes.

And now to the final cutscene:

So Millers team isn´t UKSF? I think they are part of some PMC organisation that tries to provoke a flashpoint situation on Altis. To me it seems as if they managed to provoke the AAF attack on Nato, and then the Nato retaliation on CSAT. Very interesting!

Now that I´ve finshed the Episode, here is some feedback:

And now to the final cutscene:

So Millers team isn´t UKSF? I think they are part of some PMC organisation that tries to provoke a flashpoint situation on Altis. To me it seems as if they managed to provoke the AAF attack on Nato, and then the Nato retaliation on CSAT. Very interesting!

yep, I'm playing through Survive again, trying to pick up on clues. like the first time you fly over Maxwell, and there's a heli dropping off 5 guys (and they mention Maxwell had already been broken down).

yep, I'm playing through Survive again, trying to pick up on clues. like the first time you fly over Maxwell, and there's a heli dropping off 5 guys (and they mention Maxwell had already been broken down).

That's Miller and CTRG.

Good campaign. Like the story line.

Few problems.

I have lost allot of soldiers. They just stay still when you have to retreat. Or they will still engage and fight. Even when I order disengage, hold fire. Nothing will seem to make them retreat.

also the weapon pool. Nothing saves. Bingo Fuel was annoying because of this. I didn't have NV Goggles. So I revert to mission before (breaking even) to steal some from dead enemy's. Finish mission. Put them in the containers. Do briefing. Bam. Everything i collected gone. Helmet. The AAF Chest protector i use for armor. All gone.