Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Campaign Episode 2: ADAPT - Feedback thread ** SPOILER WARNING! **

Due to moving PC, my save from Survive was deleted. In order to play the Adapt campaign I used the cheat to unlock it. When I finished the first mission the it took me back to main screen and all the missions were locked again. I unlocked them again and started the second mission with completely different gear. Please unlock the second campaign separately from the first BI. Any way around this?

When you select the mission unlocked (after using the cheat) instead of hitting replay select revert (I would suggest selecting the first ADAPT mission)

When you select the mission unlocked (after using the cheat) instead of hitting replay select revert (I would suggest selecting the first ADAPT mission)

Seems to have done the trick. Thanks very much.

It would be nice if this was better described in-game. I had no idea how to go on side missions until I was half way through the campaign.
Yeah, this was a definite mark against ADAPT in my book... it's one thing to not "hand hold", it's another to basically omit a solid mention of "how do I try to do side missions", even if it was in an otherwise throwaway line... the "ambient" dialogue preceding the appearance of particular side mission is one thing, it's another when the game doesn't prompt you with "oh hey, if you want to deal with the tasks that you're seeing out there, go out there and do them instead of reporting in".

Speaking of which, I'd prefer that the immediate boundaries (imagine a gate "between the wire") of the camp be considered the boundary at which the game prompts you "go on scouting patrol or not?" considering that it's not like there's added gameplay from setting the boundary further out... though that boundary being so far out from the camp entrance was admittedly nice for when I was returning. :D

The worst part though? Only my character's worn inventory is saved... but not the contents of his quadbike, which also wasn't saved at base. :mad:

P.S. Just tried a Revert to a completed scouting to try and recover the gear, and instead I get started from the beginning.

Yeah, this was a definite mark against ADAPT in my book... it's one thing to not "hand hold", it's another to basically omit a solid mention of "how do I try to do side missions", even if it was in an otherwise throwaway line... the "ambient" dialogue preceding the appearance of particular side mission is one thing, it's another when the game doesn't prompt you with "oh hey, if you want to deal with the tasks that you're seeing out there, go out there and do them instead of reporting in".

Speaking of which, I'd prefer that the immediate boundaries (imagine a gate "between the wire") of the camp be considered the boundary at which the game prompts you "go on scouting patrol or not?" considering that it's not like there's added gameplay from setting the boundary further out... though that boundary being so far out from the camp entrance was admittedly nice for when I was returning. :D

The worst part though? Only my character's worn inventory is saved... but not the contents of his quadbike, which also wasn't saved at base. :mad:

P.S. Just tried a Revert to a completed scouting to try and recover the gear, and instead I get started from the beginning.

That's not even saved for me... don't know why. Gonna redo it later. Grabbed an AAF vest and helmet specifically because they offer more protection. Nope, not saved... :mad:

I need help, when trying to meet Orestas he, and the two fellow AAF soldiers try to shoot me and when i kill them it says friendly fire. Any suggestions?

Are you running MCC? I have the same problem and suspect it's due to the way MCC handles faction relations (Ithink it resets AAF to hostile-to-all at mission start)

So far so good.... I'm lovin' the campaign, especially now that I've added bcombat to the mix..... great stuff.

Here is what I believe is the best mod list for the game during the campaign:

1) Blastcore and Blastcore tracer.

2) bcombat

3) blood mist

4) CBA

5) JSRS 2

6) status hud

7) sthud

8) VTS Ballistic (adds wind...makes it much harder)

9) VTS WeaponResting

10) WW_AIMenu (in case an AI gets stuck...I've already used it once in the campaign).

I don't want to add too many mods...... I'm keeping it somewhat basic.

The only problem I've encountered is on the second mission..... Miller never showed up at the rendezvous spot, I think it was because bcombat put him in the prone position and he never made it over. I replayed the mission and Miller showed up the second time. Also, on another mission, the AI would surrender to my group ...I think that is because of bcombat as well (I played this in Dev. Branch without bcombat and got different results).

Anyway....carry-on.

I came across the side missions by standing in the armory, kept seeing them pop up and I realized there was more to do... But of course, it took me a while to realize how exactly to do it, so yeah, it does need to be described better. Perhaps not saying "Patrol" on the pop-up when walking out of the base, and instead make it consistent with the objective that says "Scouting". Took me a minute to connect the two.

Also I'm glad I figured out how to get around the game losing my stuff when going between missions (like not having NVGs when you get to Bomos, making the side missions impossible due to the complete darkness); instead of leaving the equipment in your inventory and going to report in, first go to the armory and stash EVERYTHING you want to keep there. Only after the briefing should you get what you want to take. I've been able to keep a helmet, spare NVGs, and a backpack by doing this. Really helps being well prepared for the side missions. It's a shame that the devs didn't just take the equipment they think you don't need and throw them into the armory. Much better than straight up deleting them.

Bonus tip: to make some long walks/drives shorter, don't forget about the + and - keys speeding up and slowing down time! I had to play through the second mission twice, and it only took a few minutes the second time going at 2 to 4 times speed. Quite convenient.

I came across the side missions by standing in the armory, kept seeing them pop up and I realized there was more to do... But of course, it took me a while to realize how exactly to do it, so yeah, it does need to be described better. Perhaps not saying "Patrol" on the pop-up when walking out of the base, and instead make it consistent with the objective that says "Scouting". Took me a minute to connect the two.
My initial impression of ADAPT is that, at least in the early stages, it went too far away from the "hand holding" of SURVIVE towards the "no idea what's supposed to be going on, or how to proceed with a task" of A2.
Also I'm glad I figured out how to get around the game losing my stuff when going between missions (like not having NVGs when you get to Bomos, making the side missions impossible due to the complete darkness); instead of leaving the equipment in your inventory and going to report in, first go to the armory and stash EVERYTHING you want to keep there. Only after the briefing should you get what you want to take. I've been able to keep a helmet, spare NVGs, and a backpack by doing this. Really helps being well prepared for the side missions. It's a shame that the devs didn't just take the equipment they think you don't need and throw them into the armory. Much better than straight up deleting them.
That we're having to figure out "how to get around the game" is itself a problem with the current implementation. Moreover, the above does nothing to help you if you completed a patrol but the spoils of war were in your vehicle.

In addition to the teammate AI being seemingly unable/unwilling to break contact, such as during:

the convoy ambush in Supply Network, I found that the Hints -- and the corresponding Field Manual entries -- weren't clear about how to "achieve" certain commands... and that I have to say "achieve" is itself a problem with the unit commanding design, period. In particular, I couldn't find a way to order the AT guy specifically to use his RPG-42 against the rear Ifrit, nor a way to order my group of five to position themselves for an L-shaped ambush, except by attempted manual ordering of individuals at wherever I was pointing, then ordering them to hold fire until I ordered them to open fire. This was particularly a problem since my general tactic for this was to initiate contact with two explosive charges placed side by side touched off right before the front Ifrit could drive over them, then to rush forward past cover and round the furthest front corner of the Zamak Ammo and gun down the driver, then hop in the Zamak Ammo and try to maneuver back into a position concealed from the rear Ifrit and its troops' fire, while trying -- futilely -- to get any of the AI teammates in the vehicle we'd arrived in -- an off-road to return to base... moreover, the AT guy in particular would almost perpetually hold off on getting in until it was too late! Had I been able to have confidence that the AT guy's opening attack would be an RPG-42 Alamut shot against the rear Ifrit, I trust that the initial contact and therefore the course of the ambush overall could have gone far more smoothly and cleanly.

Bonus tip: to make some long walks/drives shorter, don't forget about the + and - keys speeding up and slowing down time! I had to play through the second mission twice, and it only took a few minutes the second time going at 2 to 4 times speed. Quite convenient.
Oh my gosh I was using this so, so much...

The scouting is just very badly done, from a immersion perspective (apart from how unclear is the system, as everyone has pointed out).

I mean, you are a soldier in insurgent camp, and after hearing by chance a pair of guys talking between them (they weren't even talking to you!), you chose to go your merry way alone without saying anything to anyone to "make war"?? Is this Skyrim where you are a hero doing dungeon raids???

Oh my gosh I was using this so, so much...

Same here , since OFP haha

atleast they could give us some random civ car there but no, we have to walk all the way there :D

Edited by RobertHammer

In addition to the teammate AI being seemingly unable/unwilling to break contact, such as during:

Hello fellow goon. AI won't do break contact because they don't know the concept of breaking contact, unless it's in a scripted situation, they don't know how to do it, after 12 years they still haven't coded that into the game. The whole concept of running away while being shot is alien to them. If they are being shot, they are in combat mode, that means covering fire, advance slowly, going prone, going from cover to cover and watch directions, etc.

Hello fellow goon. AI won't do break contact because they don't know the concept of breaking contact, unless it's in a scripted situation, they don't know how to do it, after 12 years they still haven't coded that into the game. The whole concept of running away while being shot is alien to them. If they are being shot, they are in combat mode, that means covering fire, advance slowly, going prone, going from cover to cover and watch directions, etc.

Yep, and that's how an armored vehicle destroyed my whole squad (12 AI) that were in outside at less than 8 meters from the woods. They decided to keep going prone, saying "GO, I COVER!!"stuff and running from rock to rock in open fields while the enemy vehicle plays the shoot the duck game with them.

Totally crazy. :confused:

I'm really enjoying the campaign, I must say. I just hope it's not too short.

A few criticisms though:

• The Side Missions could be implemented better. I only figured out they existed halfway through Adapt.
  • The purpose/benefit of the side missions is unclear. By completing them, is there any knock-on effect in the campaign?
  • I, like everybody else, seem to lose AI teammates because they refuse to disengage and because...
    you spend most of this campaign RETREATING!!!!
    ....this is a big problem. You're better off leaving them behind before you set off if you want them to survive

Anyway in the overall, and playing the campaign as a lone soldier with "mobile targets (AI)" that distract enemy from sooting at me, talking about mission execution and argument.... i liked it. Main missions are well planned and don't have any critical bugs, and argument is good (at least i remember the names of the main characters), but needs some tweaks like:

1º) Explaining how can you do side missions

2º) Explaining that there is a tactical map where you can choose between missions

3º) Making AI less agressive and more obedient to your orders (you are the leader, they are suposse to follow your orders)

I, like everybody else, seem to lose AI teammates because they refuse to disengage and because...

you spend most of this campaign RETREATING!!!!

....this is a big problem. You're better off leaving them behind before you set off if you want them to survive

3º) Making AI less agressive and more obedient to your orders (you are the leader, they are suposse to follow your orders)

After YEARS now finally this issue seems to get a bit more of widespread attention and significance.

Let's hope BIS see it this way too... Because one thing is clear: It really is a PITA!

eis0.jpg 1hgb.jpg

So far so good.... I'm lovin' the campaign, especially now that I've added bcombat to the mix..... great stuff.

Here is what I believe is the best mod list for the game during the campaign:

1) Blastcore and Blastcore tracer.

2) bcombat

3) blood mist

4) CBA

5) JSRS 2

6) status hud

7) sthud

8) VTS Ballistic (adds wind...makes it much harder)

9) VTS WeaponResting

10) WW_AIMenu (in case an AI gets stuck...I've already used it once in the campaign).

I don't want to add too many mods...... I'm keeping it somewhat basic.

The only problem I've encountered is on the second mission..... Miller never showed up at the rendezvous spot, I think it was because bcombat put him in the prone position and he never made it over. I replayed the mission and Miller showed up the second time. Also, on another mission, the AI would surrender to my group ...I think that is because of bcombat as well (I played this in Dev. Branch without bcombat and got different results).

Anyway....carry-on.

[OT] Speaking of bCombat and campaign, please stick to recommendations posted here:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?171436-OPEN-BETA-SP-bCombat-infantry-AI-Mod&p=2603613&viewfull=1#post2603613

It's a shame latest stable build breaks part of the mod features ...

BIS, can you please look into selectWeapon ( http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16783 ) ?

yep, they're pretty easy to miss. they need to be better explained when you get to the first 'camp' where they're available

I have put the "briefing" and map on youtube. At least I think that's all the briefing you get anyway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVfjfEjDiyc

[*]The purpose/benefit of the side missions is unclear. By completing them, is there any knock-on effect in the campaign?

I was going to ask this. I'm going to do all of them because I enjoy playing the game but... why complete the objectives, in game? You do win supplies, can you make the next main missions easier??

During the first mission "signal lost" I find with difficulty the spotter team but nothing happens the mission does not display anything?

I am the only one with this problem?

During the first mission "signal lost" I find with difficulty the spotter team but nothing happens the mission does not display anything?

Read the map with the given coordinates, when you are near they inform you about the mines, approach them by south

I had this problem, when you first pick up the radio Kerry would say his 1st line of dialogue then the rest of the verbal exchange wouldn't trigger so even if you made your way to the two guys it wouldn't complete the task as you didn't have the relevant information.

I disabled all mods and it then fixed itself. I can't be sure but given that it arose from a radio conversation it could well be ACRE that is the problem

Are you running MCC? I have the same problem and suspect it's due to the way MCC handles faction relations (Ithink it resets AAF to hostile-to-all at mission start)
thanks for that

2º) Explaining that there is a tactical map where you can choose between missions

this campaign uses the tactical map?

I find myself utterly frustrated with the Elite Warriors side mission

After killing 4 guys and systematically checking every building in Syrta (marking each house off in the map after clearing it) in 2 hours the mission remains unfinished. At one point I resorted to running around town in time compression hoping to draw fire to at least give me some indication of where they are. I cannot tell if I have missed something or the mission itself is broken.

This brings me to a global problem with all the side missions in Adapt and even some of the main missions.

There is a severe lack of;

1. Intelligence related to the mission

2. Criteria for accomplishment of any given of objective

Most of the time as the player I end up stumbling across the win condition instead of making conscious decisions to do things that bring me towards victory. If you tell me to go to the veterinary clinic to find "something" and I pick up a medikit that completes the mission as far as I am concerned that win condition happened completely arbitrarily and I haven't actually accomplished anything.

At varying degrees of experience with the ArmA series how is the player supposed to deduce that the medikit is somehow more important than say 10 FAKs? Keep in mind that in terms of campaign experience up to this point at no point has the campaign educated the player as to the utility and limitations of the medikit outside the ingame "manual".

And yet paradoxically Kerry seems to have a clairvoyant awareness of what constitutes victory even if you the player do not as evidenced by his inner monologue every time you kill that last enemy.

There is also no feedback as to how accomplishing any of these missions actually helps the resistance in a tangible way. So I just nabbed the smuggler cache, ok cool but what did that do? I brought back the medikit, does that mean I get medics in the next mission? In most triple-A sandbox games the rewards for side quests are telegraphed very clearly. Again, Kerry talking to himself is one thing but he doesn't tell you HOW winning made a difference.

The TLDR version;

1. Tell me what I need to do in order to win in certain terms that I made judge my competence towards that end.

2. If you aren't going to tell me, at least give me a hint (mission intel) so that I can at least make autonomous decisions in the right direction.

3. Telegraph how what I am doing relates to the world in a tangible sense.

Yes I just made a Deci & Ryan reference there.