Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Campaign Episode 2: ADAPT - Feedback thread ** SPOILER WARNING! **

How many Levels comes within the Adapt Campaign addon? Cause i think i recieved a bug, cant finish mission "Bingo Fuel" i think that was the Missionname

This has been spoiled in the first post of this very topic.

I agree with what some people are saying about the solo- 'Scouting' missions. Please, at least let us take a small (up to 4 man) team with us, and provide some kind of default transport. Using TPW_MODS is a godsend here because at least you can wait by any road and commandeer passing civilian vehicles. Also a radio check in before leaving on a scouting mission would be a nice touch - just some dialogue between Kerry and Stavrous/Miller to acknowledge and endorse Kerry going off as a lone wolf. At the moment it feels weird sneaking off a supposedly secret base to get stuff done. (At present, If I were the FIA, I'd be suspicious, and watching Kerry very closely as to what he got up to and why he kept sneaking off all the time. :-) )

Will be fixed today.

The original condition was

1+ Medikit or 7+ First aid kits

I just completed the 'vet' mission by grabbing 3 FAK's at the 'Illegal Weapons' location. even if you change it to the above, that is available at the nearby 'road block', or just by scavenging bodies. maybe you should just change it to a generic "find medical supplies" mission, and just mention where the old veterinarian building is. it's just kind of awkward when you're able to complete a mission without going to the location you were told about. maybe if there was a fairly 'clever' way to do that, but just picking up FAK's elsewhere doesn't seem to qualify...

---------- Post added at 12:02 ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 ----------

I agree with what some people are saying about the solo- 'Scouting' missions. Please, at least let us take a small (up to 4 man) team with us, and provide some kind of default transport.

that's what I thought at first, but I've found that they're actually pretty well balanced for a solo player. they've also conveniently placed transportation in various locations (you can usually find it if you leave camp via the 'road'). playing solo you also don't have to worry about the silly friendly AI that never wants to retreat...

yeah, I agree, but definitely not realistic.

So far I enjoy the second episode, but I found issue in second scouting mission. There is side mission with sniper in factory complex and I was there like for 30 minutes and I search everywhere and only thing I found was mines, sniper nowhere.

he's (probably) there, but pretty well hidden. it took me awhile to find him...

big hint in spoiler:

the mine you found was probably the trip-wire he has setup at the bottom of his ladder. he also has a spotter with him

---------- Post added at 12:08 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

yeah, I agree, but definitely not realistic.

I agree that the whole "I'm gonna sneak off and do my own thing" is awkward

edit: I guess the context is you're supposed to be on 'patrol'. but that seems kind of contrived when you get all this specific information on where to go

Edited by daze23

that's what I thought at first, but I've found that they're actually pretty well balanced for a solo player. they've also conveniently placed transportation in various locations (you can usually find it if you leave camp via the 'road'). playing solo you also don't have to worry about the silly friendly AI that never wants to retreat...

So a simple answer would be to add a few more opposition AI to the scouting missions if you feel like using a team. (Sorry that's a bit glib I know. :-) ) I agree that there *REALLY* should be a 'drop whatever you are doing and run that way NOW!' command for the friendly AI (or more perhaps a fifth mode 'override' to compliment 'stealth', 'combat', 'aware' and 'safe', to get the AI to ignore known targets and just do whatever you say. :-)

he's (probably) there, but pretty well hidden. it took me awhile to find him...

big hint in spoiler:

the mine you found was probably the trip-wire he has setup at the bottom of his ladder. he also has a spotter with him

Strange, I look everywhere and there was mines everywhere, but no sniper. Maybe it is caused by CBA, I play with JSRS2. I will try it without any mods.

So a simple answer would be to add a few more opposition AI to the scouting missions if you feel like using a team.

but they might not really 'fit' in many of the locations. if you add more AI, some of those "checkpoints" will look more like a "base". if you're already expected to take out around six enemies by yourself, it seems you would have to add quite a few to balance it for a bigger squad. also the transportation if often a ATV, and that would present a problem for more than two players

all in all I like the solo optional missions. I think their implementation is a little awkward, but I think they're a nice change of pace. it gives you an opportunity to really slow down and think about how to approach these situations

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 ----------

Strange, I look everywhere and there was mines everywhere, but no sniper. Maybe it is caused by CBA, I play with JSRS2. I will try it without any mods.

it could have something to do with the mods

more hints in spoiler:

for me he was on a roof top you could only really see from the east or south (and I approached from the NW). I actually found him by accident when I climbed up the ladder to see if a I could get a better view from up there. and found out the hard way that there was a trip wire at the bottom when I climbed back down... I actually didn't see any other mines, but maybe I was 'lucky'

it could have something to do with the mods

more hints in spoiler:

for me he was on a roof top you could only really see from the east or south (and I approached from the NW). I actually found him by accident when I climbed up the ladder to see if a I could get a better view from up there. and found out the hard way that there was a trip wire at the bottom when I climbed back down... I actually didn't see any other mines, but maybe I was 'lucky'

ok maybe it was caused by CBA,

I tried it without and I found him in second floor of apartment building. And yeah you were lucky, there was mines everywhere, I had mine detector and I found about 10 mines in the complex.

Edited by EvroMalarkey

As for the sniper:

Look for the wrecked FIA offroad, he's in the building to it's front right (It's a barracks)

Similar concept for 'Elite Warriors'

except there are more groups (wrecks).

CBA will not break your campaign.

Edited by Best2nd
CBA

As for the sniper:

Look for the wrecked FIA offroad, he's in the building to it's front right (It's a barracks)

For me they were on top of one of the industrial buildings. It's random it seems

For me they were on top of one of the industrial buildings. It's random it seems

Yes. There are 4 possible spots he can spawn in.

he was on top of the industrial building for me too. although there may be a few spawn points, as people seem to find him elsewhere

To BIS dev:

SOme subtitles, briefing sentences and overview texts haven't been translated into French.

I think enemy AI's firing accuracy is way high even in regular mode. When I peep up my head, they shot down my head...(even though he is just a rifleman not a specop unit)

I think reducing skill level of enemy AI is needed.

Just a little feedback: Don't make the player command AI if your AI is still broken. I'd rather take orders from some stupid AI than give orders to AI that won't follow them. At least make the friendly AI as skilled as the enemy AI. Because it doesn't matter what the difficulty/skill levels are set to. The enemy AI is always super skilled, super accurate, and the friendly AI is always dumb as f***. I know some people complained about this for Survive, but I'd rather have dumb but invincible AI, so that the mission(s) can play out the way they're intended to, than to always end up alone trying to complete a mission because the AI are too dumb to follow orders and shoot back.

It's not just reducing enemy AI skill level (which I doubt BI will do). They need to up friendly skill level. They need to seriously cut down on whatever calculations and considerations the AI are making. Because, while they may be taking into account terrain, and smoke, and visibility, and BI knows whatever else, they are severely handicapped to the point where they are indecisive. And it seriously seems to be only the AI that are under your command/in your group that suffer from this problem to this extent. Sure, other AI (friendly and enemy) end up doing this crap, but it's not nearly as bad as the ones within your own group.

Again, I'd be ok with commanding a fireteam within an AI-led squad, but to do that you need to make commanding realistic, that is, giving the team leader within a group the ability to command a team while being in an AI-led squad. Make it configurable, like "team = 1;/team = 2;" and "teamleader = 1;/squadleader = 1;" per each config-defined team. Beside the fact that you keep putting the player in your FPS-reducing forests, the limiting AI is the only other major thing hindering your game. It breaks the game. Can't get through the campaign because of it.

Just finished ADAPT, the following are my (heavily spoilered) impressions

TL;DR/Non-Spoiler: ADAPT is fucking awesome.

Doing this in order of missions

Mission 1 (Signal Lost)-I thought this mission was a great opener to the episode, loved the part when you walk over the ridge, the melancholy music starts playing, and you see CSAT/AAF bombing the shit out of Kavala. I liked how you had to sneak around, trying to get geared up off of the dead body's before the AAF patrols or the CSAT helicopter party's spotted you. Very fun and epic. (Also, I think I noticed a easter egg. If you ask James where to find supplies, he says that he "thought you americans liked freedom?" I think this is a reference to all the players asking for more freedom once they played SURVIVE, since asking him on where to find the supplies actually narrows down your freedom to play the mission the way you want.)

Mission 2 (Common Enemy)-Even though there wasn't much in this mission gameplay wise (all you did was walk to miller, shoot 3 dudes, and you were done), I loved the tense, guerilla atmosphere of "oh shit, its just like 4 of us in a offroad trying to sneak through two armies"

Mission 3 (Supply Network)-I thought the concept for this was good, again, more guerilla style warfare with the convoy ambush, but unfortunately its very hard to pull off due to a few things. The first is that the vehicles drive so close to each other that its very hard to take out either of the Ifrits without also taking out the truck. Also, if you don't manage to kill all the CSAT in the area in a short amount of time, one of them will hop back into the truck and drive off. Don't know if this was intentional, but its annoying. Also, with the derpy AI pathfinding, it was very hard for me to get my guys in a position where they could not be seen by the convoy in time. Liked the ending, fit in with the title of the episode.

Mission 4 (Exit Strategy)-Another awesome mission, loved the guerilla feel once again. Chose to blow up the chopper (It was easy for me to hide from it, my squad derped out in the beginning and decided to walk around in circles when the ifrit showed up, leaving only me to take on the heli), and that explosion was so satisfying.

Mission 5(Breaking Even)-The best mission in the campaign, and in my opinion one of the best arma campaign missions I've ever played, it was so epic watching the MGs suppress the outpost in the dark while all 3 squads advanced. Then the defending was equally epic, with the dudes on the static guns pumping out lead, and then the retreat was a visual spectacle/very high tense. Also liked the urban combat against the mortars. A mix of all the best ArmA infantry combat has to offer

Mission 6(Bingo Fuel)-Mission idea is cool and solid, but the two things letting it down are that you have a huge squad, and that they are all your average arma AI. If your not stealthy during pretty much any point in this mission, you are screwed (due to the amount of amour that's hanging about everywhere) and even with hold fire and stealth commands on, a squad of 7 AI is just too big and unwieldy to hide. If I had done this mission with 7of my buddies, I think this may have came in just behind Breaking Even.

Mission 7(Within Reach)-Not really much of a mission. I did like the stealth aspect, however, you can easily avoid being detected at all by simply sticking to the northern coastline and pushing around the mountain. Mission would have been a lot better if there was at least a strider or something patrolling around the road circling the mountain.

Mission 8(Attention Deficit)-Not much to say, a remake of a showcase mission (night). Made better though by the fact that you have a small squad. NVG's would be nice though.(TIP: If you come in from the northwest, you can loot the weapons depot for a Nightstalker scope, which you can then use for the rest of the mission, and take it back to base and use it for the rest of the campaign :D)

Mission 9(Beyond Recognition)-Cool mission, as episode-enders tend to be. Best part by far was when the CSAT SF showed up, when they cut the lights and the you-are-not-going-to-survive-this music kicked in, I was practically crapping my pants. Especially after they sniped my last 2 squadmates before I even knew they were there.

On the scouting missions overall, I think that upon leaving the base, you should be given at least 2 squad members and a vehicle. It's pretty ridiculous for one guy on foot to go take out multiple objectives, some of which are guarded by armed vehicles and 8+ infantry. Also the last set of scouting missions take place at night, and I have not found a way to obtain and keep NVG's prior to that last set, very frustrating(Ended up driving my quadbike in pitch-black for something like 10 minutes, then getting blown up by Mora that I had no chance of seeing)

Overall, BI nailed that Guerilla feel in this episode, no vehicle combat (which wasn't needed, in my opinion) and managed to make this episode better than the first. Can't wait for episode 3.

Also, one last tip. I would NOT recommend using the default TRG or the Mk.20 in any of the missions. The 5.56 round is rubbish for killing people. Takes something like 5-8 hits EVERYTIME. Grab a MK18 or a Rahim off of dead CSAT SF for 1-3 hits to kill, or use one of the 6.5mms (mx or katiba) for 2-5 hit kills.

---------- Post added at 01:57 ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 ----------

Offtopic from my review of the episode.

After perusing through this thread, I've noticed that people are reporting different times for different missions. I don't know if this is a intended feature to add randomness, or just a bug. But either way, it can be frustrating when you get the short end of the stick (such as when you are scouting, and have to travel 3km in pitch black darkness with no NVG's.)

Here are the times I had while going through the missions:

Signal Lost-Late afternoon

Common Enemy-Night

Supply Network-Midday

Exit Strategy-Evening

Breaking Even-Very early morning (before sunrise)

Bingo Fuel-Afternoon

Within Reach-IDK but it was freaking foggy

Attention Deficit-Night

Beyond Recognition-Night

I have seen people posing different times than me for Bingo Fuel and Breaking Even

It also seems like the times for all the scouting missions vary, I went out scouting something like 6 times, and lost track of which time was on which.

Edited by Westonsammy

Thanks for the release guys, enjoying it so far.

Patrol and Associated Side Objectives:

More needs to be done to communicate to the player that one needs to go "scouting" to fulfil the side objectives marked in orange on the map. I was running round the camp trying to find ways to "start" these missions. Additionally, seems odd that the player can only go scouting "solo" as far as I know, especially when one is going to attempt to take on objectives. Would feel more coherent to me if one had the option to take a small team (maybe a 4 man fireteam) with you.

I am with you on that, some patrol objs are clearly "combat patrol", like conducting raids against enemy positions. Should be done with small teams like in Arma2 instead of solo.

(An Army truck driver takes on whole base of enemy SF doesn't sound very realistic)

In the base there is an area called "Squad"...I wonder if you could recruit solders from there in the future...

----------

Also, on the mission 5 Breaking Even, one of my man doesn't have a vest...he could only carry a rifle and two mags.

I wonder if this is a glitch?

Edited by Lugiahua

Just a little feedback: Don't make the player command AI if your AI is still broken. I'd rather take orders from some stupid AI than give orders to AI that won't follow them. At least make the friendly AI as skilled as the enemy AI. Because it doesn't matter what the difficulty/skill levels are set to. The enemy AI is always super skilled, super accurate, and the friendly AI is always dumb as f***. I know some people complained about this for Survive, but I'd rather have dumb but invincible AI, so that the mission(s) can play out the way they're intended to, than to always end up alone trying to complete a mission because the AI are too dumb to follow orders and shoot back.

It's not just reducing enemy AI skill level (which I doubt BI will do). They need to up friendly skill level. They need to seriously cut down on whatever calculations and considerations the AI are making. Because, while they may be taking into account terrain, and smoke, and visibility, and BI knows whatever else, they are severely handicapped to the point where they are indecisive. And it seriously seems to be only the AI that are under your command/in your group that suffer from this problem to this extent. Sure, other AI (friendly and enemy) end up doing this crap, but it's not nearly as bad as the ones within your own group.

Again, I'd be ok with commanding a fireteam within an AI-led squad, but to do that you need to make commanding realistic, that is, giving the team leader within a group the ability to command a team while being in an AI-led squad. Make it configurable, like "team = 1;/team = 2;" and "teamleader = 1;/squadleader = 1;" per each config-defined team. Beside the fact that you keep putting the player in your FPS-reducing forests, the limiting AI is the only other major thing hindering your game. It breaks the game. Can't get through the campaign because of it.

The only problem I had with AI is driving.

If your AI are not shooting back than there is something seriously wrong with your game. I don't even understand most of your arguments...

Also, on the mission 5 Breaking Even, one of my man doesn't have a vest...he could only carry a rifle and two mags.

I wonder if this is a glitch?

Wow! Totally forgot about this! Yeah, the grenadier spawns without the vest. It's definitely a glitch.

Have you tried playing with bcombat mod enabled? Completely revolutionized SP game experience for me at least and it doesn't break the campaign. :)

Edited by Battlefieldbully

Have you tried playing with bcombat mod enabled? Completely revolutionized SP game experience for me at least and it doesn't break the campaign. :)

Yep, first mission was much more tense and 'stealth' compared to without it. Hadn't made it too far yet as I don't have the time, but it's looking good.

I'm experiencing multiple hangs, where the game will pause for 5-10 seconds before resuming, almost as if the game crashed.

It happened once or twice in the first mission, but it got several times worse in the Ambush mission.

It kept occurring after I placed the charges and was waiting for the convoy to pass. The game had autosaved right before that, and it kept happening on each reload.

I've since been forced to restart the mission

For reference:

CPU: i7 920

GPU: 9750 Boost

RAM: 6Gb

HD: 256gb SSD

Enjoying the Campaign so far though, good work BIS

ATTENTION!!!

The mission in which we are supposed to

return to Stratis

, the guy at the beginning drop us before the village cause he hasn't enough fuel.

However, Falcon tells us that

there are enemys in the village, and there shouldn't be here if Miller's team managed to kill the officer

It's fucked up, because

in bingo fuel, we had the choice whether to deliver the fuel to Miller - and the officer they talk about is dead, OR to deliver the fuel to the FIA - and in that case, our driver SHOULD have enough fuel

So, whatever we do in

mission Bingo Fuel

, it's look like nothing happened.

In mission

Bingo Fuel

I delivered the fuel to Miller's team and they killed the guy, but then, in mission

in which we return to stratis

, he tells me

that the guy should have died

WTF???

ATTENTION!!!

Thank you for reporting, this should be fixed in the upcoming dev branch update.

How to complete 'Mysterious Cache'? Don't tell me I have to swim there... Hmm...

I guess I have to Adaptâ„¢ and take on those assault divers guarding the Osprey.