Sign in to follow this  
Wiki

Campaign Episode 2: ADAPT - Feedback thread ** SPOILER WARNING! **

Guest Ti0n3r

Fun episode but laughable AI :)

Wow, the first mission is so frustrating, I'm not having any fun at all. I'm anything but an Arma veteran, but wtf? Nobody has spotted me, I'm lying on the floor inside a building and suddenly I get shot by the AI through the walls ... It's worse than ever., especially in those lone wolf missions...

Been having a bloody hard time with the new campagin compared to the first one and previous Arma campagins. Did you guys do anything to change the amount of damage the CSAT and AAF could take? As im having a stupidily hard time killing one rifleman yet they are making swiss cheese out of me. Ive actually had it where ive gone through a full 30 round magazine at a distance of less than 50m from the CSAT 6.5mm rifle and just watched as survived to then in turn fire one burst kill me. then ive been struggling to hit the broadside of a barn at 100 meters while they are scoring headshots on me from 300m+ while ives dropped the enemy skill down from 60 to 20.

For the record when i fire, I'm always prone (because its the only way i can score a hit, standing and crouching never hit for me in this campagin. I'm not breathing heavily to stay that im exhusted.

I had none of these issues with the Survive Campaign either

I am having this same issue. Especially when everyone is wearing that "extra armor" grenade vest. They are like Terminators.

At the start of the mission where you hookup with Miller at the house after driving past the road checkpoint everyone one of the CSAT is a grenadier. Near impossible to kill them.

I did not see a memory leak. I run all the .pbo's from a 12GB RAMDISK.

Well... I have played about 3 hours so far and... not bad. I did not realise you could do side missions and skipped the first couple of batches sadly but I am trying a couple but at the same time noticing a few niggling issues.

In the first mission I had to restart the entire thing several times. What would happen is the gun would jam with my ammo indicator turning red and at that point I could not fire, reload, loot, or open and close doors. It was entirely random and only happened on the first mission.

Now for the side missions.

On the one where you get to ambush the chopper it would constantly hover in the air for a few seconds before everyone would jump out and die, the chopper would then fall onto the ground and the pilot would emerge unhurt. Heh. In the next mission where I was scouting for a UAV I double clicked the objective and teleported to the edge of the search area but after finding and eliminating the UAV crew (cannot find the damn UAV anywere if it even exists) I double clicked on the objective to hunt down the special forces and a message popped up about entering a new location but nothing happened. I do not know if I was supposed to quick travel towards the objective or simply look around for a vehicle. Anyways, just putting that last one out there.

Same memory issues for me, for some reason at least the first mission is unplayable after a couple of restarts. Windows will complain about memory and then crash.

Same memory issues for me, for some reason at least the first mission is unplayable after a couple of restarts. Windows will complain about memory and then crash.

Unlike Stratis, which was the main playground in Survive, Altis has much bigger memory footprint.

# Could you please take a look at the system pagefile and check whether it is not disabled or set to low size?

I am having this same issue. Especially when everyone is wearing that "extra armor" grenade vest. They are like Terminators.

At the start of the mission where you hookup with Miller at the house after driving past the road checkpoint everyone one of the CSAT is a grenadier. Near impossible to kill them.

I did not see a memory leak. I run all the .pbo's from a 12GB RAMDISK.

Work is in progress.

Played for a little while, got up to the first hub. If you take any weapon from the armory table, the previous weapon that you had is impossible to pick up, even if I waited for a short while. This resulted in me losing all the accessories I had on my weapon that I scavenged from earlier missions because I did not remove them prior to taking a different weapon.

how to play side missions? if it only can be done by myself alone?

how to play side missions? if it only can be done by myself alone?

I would also like to know of there is a way to do it without having to walk all the way until i find a vehicle, then completing the mission alone. Also, the advantages of doing them and how they work are not totally clear to me:

If i do the hidden weapon cache thing, do i get extra weapons to choose from? Or do i need to scavenge them myself, put them in a truck, drive them back to base and put them in a crate? Does your squad medic get a medkit if you scavenge a medkit for him? etc etc

Also, the lack of ALICE and ambient combat modules is really noticable. If i had not installed TPW mods i would have been pretty much alone on the whole island, except for the couple of guys at the objectives and the occasional dead dude lying next to a perfectly good car in the middle of the road.

I just played a side mission and I'm sooo dissapointed. A couple of reasons:

Mission: Weapon smugglers

It's pitch black, I have NVG and weapon smugglers don't. They spot me and insta kills me even though I'm hiding in the dark. Difficulty: Regular

Does it make sense that they open fire at me in the blink of an eye when they spot me? HELL NO!

Here is an example of how they should react: They scream "HALT! Identify yourself." Then maybe they open fire when there is no answer?

Does it make sense that they just stand there and do nothing when I open fire at them? HELL NO!

Make them run around in a confused manner at least. Even better, make them work togheter to find the intruder (player).

So now I looted their place and loaded as much stuff as I could in the back of the truck and drive back to base. I'm feeling really good about the loot and that it might be useful in future missions. What happens when I reach base? THE TRUCK AND ALL THE LOOT IS GONE !!! Why is this mission even there? Sure it's nice to fill out the world with side missions to try and make it more alive but it does not work when the quality of the mission is that bad, and there is no reward at completion.

I would also like to know...

If you want any equipment to be available at the armory, then you must take it back to base from scouting. So choose carefully and don't get your car immobilized when you are on your way back :)

The vehicles are not currently saved, but all weapons, magazines and attachments in cargo (and from backpacks in cargo) are saved to weapon pool, so they will be immediately available at the armory once you return back to base.

The other items are not currently saved.

I just played a side mission and I'm sooo dissapointed...

First point - this is not about the mission, it's about the AI. Their behavior also depends on their skill and on your settings in 'Difficulty'.

The answer to your second point is in the spoiler above.

I like the idea of the side missions but...

As above. However, the guerrilas have a tendency to steal your equipment from time to time, but we are currently convincing them to stop doing such a bad thing.

Missions loadout:

Currently your loadout is a bit adjusted to the next mission so you will be given some equipment which is needed to coplete it. You can change it in the armory or just before the mission as it was done in OFP.

Currently your loadout is a bit adjusted to the next mission so you will be given some equipment which is needed to coplete it. You can change it in the armory or just before the mission as it was done in OFP.

A bit? I ended the first mission with CSAT equipment, next mission i start is with only the rifle left, rest replaced. After the end of the mission my rifle is replaced with the AAF one with fancy scope. I customized my loadout in the armory to be better. When i started the mission, everything is replaced. Instead of a tac vest filled with usefull stuff i got a tac vest with 4x 5.56 magazine, 2x pistol mags, 2x chemlights and 6-8 different colored smoke grenades. Additionally to the 2 in the combat dress. The mission definitely does not require 10 smoke grenades ! And the rifle lost the scope. Visiting the armory before the mission briefing was a complete waste of time, like it was in the first campaign iirc. I'm fine if we get a mission specific backpack. And IF a backpack alone is not sufficient the player should be ASKED what he wants to take/let behind. If he fails because of that, his fault. But this is just completely annoying. I hate having to completely re-equip myself before every damn mission.

Feedback first mission:

Initial step is pretty hard because

you get shot at by 2 AAF basically immediately once you get into the ruined village. So you have to find weapons while under fire. Additionally a CSAT helicopter is imbound that will drop 4 guys, and then pepper you with MG on every pass.

The only feasible solution to me was running for the MG, hoping to see the AAF guys still running and then gunning them down. Quickly make for the hills to shoot the soldiers from the helicopter when dissembarking. As well as disabling the rear rotor and killing the 3-4 AAF that follow up. Then i was able to just run to the target

i dropped my backpack and a launcher during the mission 6 times. One time in a house, the both ended up on the ground unretrievable. No menu option to pick them up appeared. 2 time in open space it worked ok. 1 time close to a rock they ended up unretrievable again. The last time i dropped them in open space, and i could pick them up right away again. When i came back they where unretrievable again. Why does Arma always want me to deprive me of my hard earned gear? :936: Annoying

Edited by Fennek

Thank you for answering WattyWatts, and sorry for being in rage mode on friday evening.

Feedback first mission:

Initial step is pretty hard because

you get shot at by 2 AAF basically immediately once you get into the ruined village. So you have to find weapons while under fire. Additionally a CSAT helicopter is imbound that will drop 4 guys, and then pepper you with MG on every pass.

The only feasible solution to me was running for the MG, hoping to see the AAF guys still running and then gunning them down. Quickly make for the hills to shoot the soldiers from the helicopter when dissembarking. As well as disabling the rear rotor and killing the 3-4 AAF that follow up. Then i was able to just run to the target

You can find some dead FIA guys scattered in the ruins before the 2-man AAF patrol sees you, one of the dead has a TRG with ammo you can use to murder them easy and take their ammo and other stuff. The CSAT patrol the helicopter drops off goes to the beach if you don't alert them. You can sneak by through the village and bushes until you reach the MSR. Avoid the trucks/Mraps, cross the road, head down the little valley to stay out of view of the dismounted AAF and the checkpoint and go up the hill to the Brits. It's pretty easy if you're patient and a little bit sneaky.

On Elite Warriors and One Shot, One Kill scouting missions:

These are pretty frustrating if you don't have a mine detector. I was lucky enough to have one for the elite warriors and it was a blast sneaking through the town at night hunting for the COIN guys. They have some nice stuff. A mine detector was not an available luxury for the OSOK (main mission ate my equipment) and it made me ragequit after blowing up after the tenth time. Damn you Zipper5 and your gratuitous use of mines.

in the Gori mission at rebel base (mission hub), game crashes when I go near any of the two offroad trucks. anyone else get this?

I'm afraid the first answer is no - we now have to focus on fixes, not new features.

The vehicles should also be saved, but there are some vital questions that haven't been answered yet:

- should all vehicles be saved? If yes, where to place them (most likely not, the base is not a car park :) )? If no, how to decide, which should be saved and which not?

- some cars have random texture (and offroads have random number of doors and rear mirrors). How to make it consistent across mission? If it's even possible.

- saving the car status - fuel, damage, cargo - should we give every enter-able vehicle an identity? If it gets immobilized somewhere, should it stay saved or should it be deleted after you return to base?

- how to make sure there will always be some vehicle near the base, so player won't have to walk few km on his own to get any and it won't look too artificial?

At least allow saving of uniforms, hats and stuff. Cant be so hard. I scavenged all that to get unique look to see all was lost later....

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Also in last mission of stratis campaing I saw AI medic got stuck after he healed me. Maybe its genereal dev branch AI issue and not campaing related one.

Thank you for answering WattyWatts, and sorry for being in rage mode on friday evening.

On Elite Warriors and One Shot, One Kill scouting missions...

This is a lesson learned a hard way indeed.

But - if you have troubles finding mines at night and/or don't have a mine detector - you have to AdaptTM - try to find some or visit the AO during day and your odds will be much better.

Nevertheless, we can add an extra sentence into the task description to warn you about this danger.

You'll make Zipper sad, as he is completely innocent in this matter :)

Edited by WattyWatts

I just tried the first mission of "Adapt", and oh boy.

I can say with complete honesty that thus far, I have never once come across such a joyless, unfun, poorly designed, poorly thought-out, genuinely bad gameplay-experience thus far in ArmA 3.

Firstly, it's a stealth-section.

A stealth-section.

In this game, where enemies can see and shoot for kilometers, wear camouflage, and quite literally spawn and move about all around you.

What the fuck were they thinking?

To make it perfect, you spawn with a pistol. Note that this isn't a regular pistol - the kind that protects you and shoots enemies - but one apparently designed by the mentally disabled, shortly before being fired and punished for gross criminal incompetence. The pistol cannot hit anything beyond the range of "squirt gun". I have literally seen airsoft pistols with better accuracy than that wretched piece of cunt. For this reason, the game recommends you explore ruined buildings for vital weapons and supplies. Problem is; BI has placed enemies either in direct proximity of said ruins, or within rifle range. Should you by chance come across a ruin that does not have at least two patrols fucking around three feet away from it, you can bet your ass a heavily armed helicopter will land right next to it and drop off a full fireteam as soon as you come close. So the game first recommend/force you to explore ruins, and then make a point out of punishing you at every turn for doing so.

Again; what the fuck were they thinking?

For all I know, the game might improve significantly as soon as you meet up with the squad at the top of the hill. But I haven't gotten that far because not only is the level an un-entertaining slog through frustration, anger and hate, you can look forward to re-starting all the way back at the fucking beach each time you die, meaning you get to experience all that fun and good gameplay, all over again.

Difficulty: "Regular".

Urrrgh. I'm going to go punch something, now.

Edited by St!gar

yeah, i think the way ai is, just doesn't suit stealth, so i would really adamantly suggest BIS drop the entire stealth aspect(at least for daytime, their vision seems appropriately poor at night).

i currently just walk away and do a circle around the map or do some exploit on poor ai(shooting out vehicles tires to make them eject, then taking their vehicle and killing every single one of them) to get around. using cover and buildings just doesn't work very well, because the stealth aspect is very bad. hiding in grass and foliage is inconsistent, you don't know why they spot you behind huge brush, might be geometry issue, you just don't know and cannot take calculated risks as you could in ofp, where the foliage system was simpler, but reliably covered more of your body.

the performance was an issue, as i said, even on the smaller scale hit and run missions during night time. city raids go into single digits. the last section i basically went around town with a thermal scope up at all times, it helps the fps by making everything 2 or 3 shades of colors with no details. optimization needs heavy work.

in terms of content, narrative, realism, etc the first episode was a solid 6/10, but i felt adapt deserves something of 3/10, it just didn't feel "military" enough. it felt like arma 2's campaign, except low tech and you're fighting with insurgents, not force recon. it didn't have that ofp or arma feel. it felt very generic as well. buff tattooed guy leading you around mostly linear paths. i finished this campaign in less than 3 hours, mainly due to rushing. i didn't want to savor it, it wasn't interesting.

some elements like ambush convoy with explosives would be better as a single player scenario.

I love this campaign!

The part where you have to sneak through the town I went in the hard way.I waited for 2 greenbacks to enter back side of

building and ambush them.I didnt get them right away but had to flank them with CSAT guys patrolling the area.

It was very intense playing, awesome mission design.No more hand holding, exactly what I love.

St!gar if you play it smart, you won't even have to use the pistol, which is actually fairly accurate BTW. I can easily hit targets at 200m with it which is crazy if you compare it to any IRL pistol.

St!gar:

Strange, I ignored ruins and run stealthy directly towards hill to RV point. Mission done without any frustration.

St!gar:

Strange, I ignored ruins and run stealthy directly towards hill to RV point. Mission done without any frustration.

I started it 5/6 times but it was good.