olds

Real Armor Mod

Hey, quick question: how is performance calculated in regards to KE rounds? I've taken a look through the config and noticed that the caliber values seem to use the same maths as the HEAT penetrators, but shells also have different hit values. I'm guessing that the hit values are stated to describe damage to soft vehicles, and caliber in regards to penetration, and if that were correct it would make for a pleasantly easy thing to configure, but I'm looking for confirmation as to how the system works and I understand that it might be more complicated than that.

If I understand the question:

• "hit" and "caliber" are independent in RAM (& RHS)
    • the first tells you how much damage the weapon does to a component (hull, track, etc.) IF it penetrates armor
    • the second tells you how much armor the weapon penetrates

Caliber--and another config value called "airFriction"--are very precisely estimated for each weapon to give very close to real-life weapon trajectories and armor penetration (based on the speed and angle of the impact). For your own weapons you can make these values as accurate as you like (if you need help with estimates, let me know). Reading this might help clarify.

Determining "hit" values on the other hand is as much art as it is science. But Bakerman and I understand it as well as anyone does (maybe better than Bohemia  :lol: ). I'll add a guide to doing it to the RAM wiki when that's ready. For the time being, read this if you're interested.

P.S. Before anyone asks again, vanilla vehicles and weapons are hosed and frankly if/until BI releases their full configs to the community, they will stay that way. Personally I don't care b/c I don't play Arma for the fantasy setting anyway (hence RHS, CUP, etc.).

So let me make it clear. Sorry if I had to make you explain it once again.

I use both Vanilla and RHS armored vehicles (along with ACE3). AFAK RHS already has RAM on it, so actually that makes it incompatible with vanilla weapons and armoured vehicles. So for it to work fine, you only have to use Vanilla assets with Vanilla assets, and the same with RHS assets. Not mixing them. That's easy to grasp.

But what about adding RAM on top of that? As it is stated on its Armaholic page:

"Who is it for? Anybody, but it's especially recommended to those who use both RHS and other mod or stock content together"

What I understand from this is that @RAM addon would give Vanilla assets the required modifications to make them compatible with RHS.

What I don't really get is the meaning of the paragraph I quoted from you. Am I able to properly mix RHS and vanilla assets if adding @RAM on top of that?

Sorry for the confusion, I wrote that and English isn't my first language.

You are correct. You are able to mix and match with this addon. RAM allows you to use both RHS and vanilla units in the same mission without major issues.

What the addon does is enable the RAM armor on all vehicles, that includes RHS, vanilla and any other mod.

Given, recent improvements in the game engine and RHS, is this addon still relevant?

Will this mod ever progress beyond version 0.1.1?  The low version number doesn't inspire confidence or a sense of importance.  If many people were using and testing it, you'd think that more revisions would be released.  It seems to work, but I can barely tell the difference...  Some vids showing with vs. without would be cool.

New mod v0.1.1 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey Olds , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

Is this mod still functional post-Eden update?

I like the idea of a universal armor value when combining vanilla style armor with RHS configured armor. Do they still "play nicely together" using RAM?

Thank you Olds. My group is now actively using your mod, along with RHS of course.
I have made certain changes to your mod you may be interested.

I made the HEAT projectile "AIS_HEAT_JET" inherits from "ShellBase" instead of "BulletBase", to better reflect the fast declining energy of HEAT projectile upon impact (more like an exploding penetrator, the BIS's "ShellBase", than a hard projectile). Also I made its "airFriction" very big to simulate its spreading and losing energy on its travel. "indirectHitRange" was increased so that it would cause some "Splash" damage to crew in light armor.

class AIS_HEAT_JET: ShellBase
{
  airFriction = -0.1;
  indirectHit = 20;
  indirectHitRange = 2;
};

Besides that, I made one edit on vanilla "Sh_120mm_APFSDS".

class Sh_120mm_APFSDS: ShellBase
{
  simulation = "shotBullet";
};

It is very strange that vanilla tank APFSDS shells are of "ShellBase", which makes them "exploding penetrators" like HEAT, while other AP/APFSDS of lower calibers like "B_30mm_AP", "B_30mm_APFSDS" and "B_40mm_APFSDS" are of "BulletBase", which makes them correctly hard penetrators. By editing the "simulation" of "Sh_120mm_APFSDS", the tank AP shells now behave much more reasonable.

Have been playing with RAM mod along with a modified AGM_armor mod. Now RHS plays like a modern WoT. Haha.

care to share? :D

This mod is a true must have, and your changes sound interesting ;)

So, does this mod work on vanilla and CUP? It's not that clear for me.

Hi, is there a chance for a workshop version (I'm trying to keep my server as accessible as possible, so I prefer workshop mods only), or is it a no-go for you?

EDIT: It appears that Olds wasn't seen online since december. Well...

I think this mod functions properly. I just played the tank showcase mission and RA made HUGE difference. Instead of loosing my whole platoon in first 2 minutes I was able to finish the mission without any casualties at all.

Not sure if i get the real purpose of the mod.

Firing at the side of the Leopard 2 (AAF) with a RPG-32, 5 times, only makes the tracks orange.......

With all the updates to the RV4 engine these past 3 months (for Apex), is this mod still working 100%?

Seems to work my end well but have not tested in MP

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Not sure if i get the real purpose of the mod.

Firing at the side of the Leopard 2 (AAF) with a RPG-32, 5 times, only makes the tracks orange.......

That's realism...

A single Challenger 2 in the Middle East got hit by over 75 RPGs in a single day. The only damage caused to the tank was it's optical sights.

Tanks are extremely tough, and you should only be able to destroy them with either:

a) Lucky shots with an RPG (very lucky), that penetrate through the rare weak points in armor.

b) Well placed shots with Guided Missiles (even then, another Challenger 2 was hit by 15 RPGs and a Milan anti-tank missile and was fully operational after light repairs the following day)

c) Air Strike (e.g. Air to Ground Missiles

b) Kinetic Projectiles from other vehicles (e.g. 25mm AP rounds - 125mm + AP Rounds), again, depending where you hit.

If tanks could not survive hits from some of the more common rockets and military weaponry, then they would not be used so extensively and with so much effect.

Cheers

• Like 2

Does anyone have v0.1.0? I'm interested in what kind of changes were made, I know they were removed for a reason, but I would like to take a closer look.

• Like 1

Hi i tried this mod and i saw problem

all tank in this game can be destroyed by hitted in front of hull amv-7 40mm apfsds.

I serched 40mm apfsds armor penetration

most penetration round may have 170mm in 2000m

but it can't penetrate MBT's in front of hull in third generation tank

I know this is an ancient thread and my post will bring it back up to the top but does anyone know where this mod can be found now?

3 hours ago, Nichols said:

I know this is an ancient thread and my post will bring it back up to the top but does anyone know where this mod can be found now?

Real Engine contains the MOD Real Armor, author's comment:

Real Armor by Olds & Bakerman with the clean-up [real_armor.pbo]
Adressing many requests to fix vanilla and RHS armor I found it appropriate to implement a Real Armor script that normalizes the armor properties of every vehicle making the vehicle damage model more realistic.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2127693591&searchtext=Real+Armor+Mod

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AtomicBoy said:

Real Engine contains the MOD Real Armor, author's comment:

Real Armor by Olds & Bakerman with the clean-up [real_armor.pbo]
Adressing many requests to fix vanilla and RHS armor I found it appropriate to implement a Real Armor script that normalizes the armor properties of every vehicle making the vehicle damage model more realistic.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2127693591&searchtext=Real+Armor+Mod

Thanks for the link.