olds

Real Armor Mod

The upcoming version of RAM in the not-too-distant future will synchronize damage behavior between RHS & vanilla vehicles for you (armor, anti-tank weapons, and large calibers). So you will be able to mix and match vanilla with RHS if that's your thing. This will undoubtedly take at least 1-2 more passes before it gets properly polished for both RAM and RHS, but it's progressing. :)

That is great, many thanks.

The upcoming version of RAM in the not-too-distant future will synchronize damage behavior between RHS & vanilla vehicles for you (armor, anti-tank weapons, and large calibers). So you will be able to mix and match vanilla with RHS if that's your thing. This will undoubtedly take at least 1-2 more passes before it gets properly polished for both RAM and RHS, but it's progressing. :)

very good news:yay:

Ram + ace3 = awesome

Is there any possibilities for collaboration between these two mods?

Perhaps even integration ?

Remove Armored PBO from ACE (they will add I think)

Not currently--our approaches are quite different. I'm guessing one or two ACE modules will end up incompatible with RAM (& RHS)--so Hydro's suggestion is a good one: simply remove those and use whatever else you'd like from ACE. We'll post specifics once we identify them.

very sad to hear that ace are only strict going their way, making other big mods just incompatible. The deleting way is okay but in the end im deleting half of ACE to stay compatible and community all use other "version" from its mod. Why not making all RAM style? Is it right that CUP vehicles also will use RAM? If so, we will kill all vanilla armor content ;) For me personal RAM is the only way to play Arma. All want realistic and you are the one that can deliver it. Why try to reinvent another way? This ACE armor hmm, it was okay in Arma2 but never felt as comprehensible as RHS armor now do.

Edited by Numrollen

very sad to hear that ace are only strict going their way, making other big mods just incompatible. The deleting way is okay but in the end im deleting half of ACE to stay compatible and community all use other "version" from its mod. Why not making all RAM style? Is it right that CUP vehicles also will use RAM? If so, we will kill all vanilla armor content ;) For me personal RAM is the only way to play Arma. All want realistic and you are the only one that can deliver it. This ACE armor stuff is nothing to talk about.

ace is, afaik, dedicated (nou is) to have a certain approach to how the damage is handled - i am sure he can provide details. It is not implemented into the mod yet.

Olds and Bakerman are also dedicated (with RHS) to push the way the armored vehicle and damage to those is handle in a different way (which involves changes to the original content's models, or later, having a set framework for the way new models are created) - besides config changes.

Both approaches are good directions and i am not sure why you see it as a sad move. The whole idea about modding is to push the boundaries a bit. I am uncertain how you can judge something that is nowhere near finished and/or implemented...

As long as i cant use both methods at the same time it is sad! ;) Even if i could use both methods, they should deliver the same result and feeling. RHS use RAM, so even i would like to use the ACE version, it wont work with RHS right? It would be cool to have the same base for the realistic audience. It will get more and more frustrating in the future to understand what needs to be done when i want to use several mods. Mo mods, mo problems ;)

Edited by Numrollen

In general, I think everyone's trying to avoid causing breakage so players can use multiple mods wherever possible. But Pufu is right, we shouldn't jump the gun as ACE is in early stages. Let's wait and see.

Vis-a-vis RAM vs whatever ACE might cook up. I'd like to say that I really appreciate the 'lighter' touch that RHS tends towards where scripting is concerned and I believe from chatting to Olds in the CUP channel once that this parallels his philosophy; work with the game engine to maximize its potential rather than trying to strong-arm every situation with scripts and extension calls. The fact that both RHS and CUP have control of all of their vehicle sources means they're well placed to use geometry and materials to great effect. There's room and cause for differing approaches.

But Pufu is right, we shouldn't jump the gun as ACE is in early stages. Let's wait and see.

Dont get me wrong, i love ACE, RHS, RAM and all the other mods that increase so much the gameplay. Im happy to play a game with such a nice community even with usual blach sheeps ;) In some eyes even i am a black sheep to not everytime for everything thankful and just stfu. Critic is not only negativ.

Apologies for the delay everybody, but we ran into some unforseen problems with the way damage is handled in Arma 3. Surprise surprise! :D

Actually a lot of people think this feature is broken--but after a bunch of testing, we figured out how to make damage consistent. The basic guidelines for doing so have been added to the Biki.

Anyway, this delayed our damage and hitpoint standardization process and we are still getting things back on track. Once we've reworked the formulas, we will be releasing as promised. Just at the moment both Bakerman and I are also low on free time so the answer to progress is "slowly but surely".

Edited by Olds

I am curious. If arma 3 vanilla models cannot be edited, how is this way of implementing a model based damage system ever going to work for vanilla vehicles?

Since according to your documentation the A3 models have been evolving since alpha to include some new ways of doing things. Are you hoping that BIS will change their older arma 3 models to that new way?

Or have the old models been already upgraded as soon as BIS has decided to do armor models differently?

BI itself has been moving away from the "Old Arma" method of hitpoint placement. Looking at recent revisions of the game (2015), you will notice that their tanks in particular largely follow the "modified" approach.

Or is there something I am missing about this whole thing?

I am curious. If arma 3 vanilla models cannot be edited, how is this way of implementing a model based damage system ever going to work for vanilla vehicles?

It will work to a partial extent. Though not with the kind of detail you can make with modded content (RHS, etc.).

Since according to your documentation the A3 models have been evolving since alpha to include some new ways of doing things. Are you hoping that BIS will change their older arma 3 models to that new way?

Or have the old models been already upgraded as soon as BIS has decided to do armor models differently?

Or is there something I am missing about this whole thing?

No, it's a good question. BI vehicles will work better than they used to because they have been "cleaning up their act" with regard to armored vehicles (at least). Modded content will always have the superior potential however, because it can implement all the features and recommendations--whereas we have no control over what BI does.

I'm not too worried about the discrepancy because the BI vehicles are in a future-fictional setting. So what does it mean to quibble about "realism" there? However, if you want to make a sim-accurate historical vehicle (an M1A1 firing an M829A1 sabot, or a T-34/85 firing a BR-365, etc.)--we are giving you have the ability to do so.

RAM v0.1.0

Download Mega

Download Dropbox

Download Armaholic

Download Server Key

Requirements

FAQ

• What is this? Real Armor Mod, it improves some armor related things
  • Who is it for? Anybody, but it's especially recommended to those who use both RHS and other mod or stock content together
  • Server or client? Both, all machines should run the full mod
  • What does it do? HEAT warheads spawn a projectile on impact, which enables engine AP simulation
  • Is this script intensive? Nope, there's a tiny script that runs once on HEAT impact and the rest is done by the engine
  • Why is this not part of the game? Good question!

Changelog

• Improved HEAT script functionality
  • Improved performance by using hitPart event
  • Added tandem HEAT warheads
  • Added RHS warhead compatibility for all vehicles
  • Added RHS armor compatibility for all warheads
  • Removed vehicle hitpoint tweaks
  • Improved tank damage consistency with a slight armor debuff

Mod Makers

• Can my mod support this? Certainly and painlessly. All you need to add to your warhead is one config value which supports multiple warheads like tandem and triple HEAT. For example:
    // Projectiles are spawned in sequential order per frame
    ais_ce_penetrators[] = { "ais_ammo_heat_tandem", "ais_ammo_heat_base" };
  • How do I customize my HEAT warheads?
    // Parent rocket that gets fired
    class RocketBase;
    class MyLittleRPG : RocketBase
    {
       ais_ce_penetrators[] = { "MyLittleRPG_projectile" }
    };
    // Child projectile(s) to spawn on impact
    class BulletBase;
    class ais_ammo_heat_base;
    class MyLittleRPG_projectile: ais_ammo_heat_base
    {
       // Adjust caliber etc, default can penetrate 600mm RHA
    };

• Like 8

Thanks, that's great news! :D I was thinking about AAF vs US/RU scenario for quite some time but that incompatibility always stopped me. :)

The new version has been frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

news_download_a3_3.png

Real Armor Mod v0.1.0

required_addons.png

Community Base addons A3

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

I'm not sure if it's been asked, but does this work with other modded content that used BIS's form of damage, such as massi's armour and rockets? Essentially, is it now possible to have battles between Massi's tanks and RHS's tanks?

I'm not sure if it's been asked, but does this work with other modded content that used BIS's form of damage, such as massi's armour and rockets? Essentially, is it now possible to have battles between Massi's tanks and RHS's tanks?

Who is it for? Anybody, but it's especially recommended to those who use both RHS and other mod or stock content together

This looks like just what the doctor ordered.   B)   I'd love to see a video or test mission which demonstrates its utility.  I've installed it and will keep checking it out.