soul_assassin

RHS: Armed Forces of the Russian Federation A3 WIP Thread

Well, hopefully, release is sooner than later. ;)

I wonder tough, how vehicles behave in game, especially their FCS.

How to castigate BIS for all stuf that we are getting mad in A3? Realese superb mod by RHS. Guys, you've showed us, that models can be made by commmunity moding groups with quality, even higher than original stuff made by game Devs that are earning money for this. Once again you've proved that RHS is something more than a studio... From all of my heart, THANK YOU for your effort.

The camo bits of RShG-2 tube texture makes it appear a bit like it's made of concrete.
But it's what the texture is like IRL :omg: (not to the touch but to the look)

When it's released you will all know about it :P

Yeah, because I'll party so hard to celebrate it that I'll appear in the TV worldwide :yay:

I hope it comes before 2015 :)

Yeah, it would be really nice if initial version of both RHS AFRF and USAF would be released this summer. :)

Yeah, it would be really nice if initial version of both RHS AFRF and USAF would be released this summer. :)

With the information that we have at hand that is quite unlikely.

The Russian part is supposed to be their main focus right now ( that in may they said that they advanced really much, and there were mainly just details to correct ).

On the US part, well, it's out of focus and their members are supposed to be assisting with the Russian release...

Although it would be nice a US "demo version" along with the Russian units just to have a few toys to play.

It will be released in two weeks

If you played IL-2, you will know what this means. If not, you will figure out :p

Or 3-4 falcon weeks if you ever dropped by BMS foruns lol ... ;)

No matter how many time it takes, it´s going to be awesome nonetheless (thou the anxiety is killing us ;)

Yeah, because I'll party so hard to celebrate it that I'll appear in the TV worldwide :yay:

Just don't party too hard.

can-stock-photo_csp1149617.jpg

Hello everyone! I'm going to try something that is a bit different than normal--even though we try to show a lot of progress, we don't always get a chance to talk about our development process in an informal way, or delve into the behind-the-scenes work that goes into creating the assets. Hopefully this is a step towards changing that. So grab some popcorn and a drink... I hope it's not that boring. :p

banner.jpg

If you haven't guessed so far, the topic of this week is the workhorse of the United States armored forces--the M1 Abrams tank! As someone who is a huge armor fan in the ArmA series, getting the Abrams "right" (or as "right" as possible) was one of my biggest pet projects in USF so far. Even after chipping at this thing over a year with the help of researcher Damian90 (plus three remodels and countless total retextures along the way) it's still nowhere near finished. In a direct departure from violently enforced RHS doctrine, I'm going to shoot myself in the foot and outline the Abrams versions that are planned to feature in the first nebulous release of United States Armed Forces:

M1A1AIM

M1A1AIM (TUSK I)

M1A2SEPv1

M1A2SEPv1 (TUSK I)

M1A1HC (Afghanistan 2013)*

*Don't tank this as a sign that we are including the USMC in the first patch--it's already finished, so I have no intention of holding onto it.

With the exception of the M1A1HC, you'll notice that most of these vehicles are configured as they appear in the 2006-2008 time frame. This is intentional--the more modern variants will come later. While the M1A1AIM, M1A1AIM (TUSK I), and the M1A2SEPv1 were featured heavily in our announcement material, we haven't really shown the others. So, here!

M1A1HC (Afghanistan 2013)

3_s.jpg

M1A2SEPv1 (TUSK I)

5_s.jpg

As you can see, these are still extremely work-in-progress. Again, extremely work-in-progress. Texturing is always ongoing, and we are still implementing features like the loader's pintle and further cosmetic changes. Who knows, the Abrams might look totally different when we release.

2_s.jpg

In the end, though, a bunch of models without proper configging, scripting, and animation isn't worth anything to anyone (unless you're on Polycount, or something.) Luckily for us, we have the fantastic Reyhard helping us out. I can't sing his graces enough--I can't push my poor Southern English far enough to appropriately describe my joy seeing the Abrams come alive. Lately, he's been working on the fire control system for the vehicle. While it is simpler when compared to the fire control systems featured in Armed Forces of the Russian Federation's T-72s, T-80s, and Sprut, it is still extremely fun to use. By using the action key, the laser range finder will automatically feed targeting data into the firing computer and adjust the main gun accordingly. To end a high note, I'll leave you with some WIP shots:

4_s.jpg

1_s.jpg

(T-80U by the illustrious T-80 guru Kenji and texture by Vasmkd -- good target for the M1A2! facebook-like-icon.png)

Thanks for reading everyone--if this is a trend worth keeping up, we'll be sure to have more of these in the future.

Edited by Gurdy

I'm going to try something that is a bit different than normal--even though we try to show a lot of progress, we don't always get a chance to talk about our development process in an informal way, or delve into the behind-the-scenes work that goes into creating the assets. Hopefully this is a step towards changing that. So grab some popcorn and a drink... I hope it's not that boring. :p

[...]

Thanks for reading everyone--if this is a trend worth keeping up, we'll be sure to have more of these in the future.

I can only talk for myself, but I really enjoyed reading your "dev report", it felt short :D

I think that it allows us to appreciate how much you are working on the mod, and shorten the waiting.

BTW although I'm not specially fan of tanks, it was really cool to see the Abrams you are cooking. Looks really good, and as I have been using Reyhards mods for a few months, I can say that his work in the scripting part is outstanding.

Red Hammer Studio you are awsome, thanks for giving us real weapons and equipments !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeha, if you can write even longer don't hold yourself out, I can't remember when I was excited last time like

now reading your report.Direct combat thread that I remember might be indirect reason however : D

(damn that Humvee were so sexy!)

Thanks for your report, model is so good looking!

I have one comment which I'm thinking about.Since bore of tank bore is observed for extended

periods of time, would be worth it to put more detail, (either textured or modeled) there?

Greetings!

I must say, it was allways a pleasure and honor to help Gurdy and RHS team in research for US AFV's, and hopefully I will be able to help more in nearest future if possible and asked for. ;)

So, splendind work there on M1's.

BTW RHS M1's models are actually probably the most realistic models of these tanks in ArmA series, the only close to this kind of quality was fantastic model made by Fishkopff, his M1A1HC was later reused to create M1A2SEPv1 by King Homer and co. for OFP and later reused for ArmA1 ACE1 mod (yeah I am that old to remember these glorious times! ;)).

Edited by Damian90

Small question over here: will tanks and IFV's have modeled interiors?

Some IFVs will, some won't (BMDs, for example, won't). No tanks are planned with interiors.

Oh and by the way, "dev report" form is really nice idea, I also enjoyed it!

I enjoy this information (instead of just pictures) very, very much - thank you. :) I also look forward to your quality work! I have only skimmed half of this thread, but perhaps someone can tell me whether they intend at all to release an M1 - ie, 105mm Abrams?

I really enjoyed that. So on tanks, will we get more variants like the ABV and the bridge-laying vehicle? I think those would be cool for combat engineering.