soul_assassin

RHS: Armed Forces of the Russian Federation A3 WIP Thread

Oh my, glad to see you are back!

BTW any news on the Tigr? Last time it was posted, it was in a pretty complete state.

I too am interested in that, was hoping to see it in Arma 2 but it'd be even better to see it in 3.

I guess you´ll be able to use the information on guided missile speeds I collected for the Arma 2 mod?

I too am interested in that, was hoping to see it in Arma 2 but it'd be even better to see it in 3.

Last I saw it was finished model wise and nearly finished texture wise and running in Arma 3 back in march...

You should try to get Lord Jarhead on board ^^

If you can´t do that then please just make the weapons inherit standard sounds where possible. My main roblem with the awesome looking weapons and vehicels in your Arma 2 Mod was that they all had custom sounds that sadly were of much lower quality than the Sounds of JSRS. Because of that they are never used in our MP sessions. (We use your Infantry through a replacement pack. Those uniforms are simply awesome.)

Maybe "lower" quality, but at least realistic. Dont get me wrong, JSRS is a great mod, but its vehicle sounds (especially tracked) are nowhere near "realistic".

Human nature is very interesting. In our mind we often substitute what sounds real and what sounds nice. Often you are completely certain how one thing sounds and then listen to it in real life and know completely that "that didn't sound anything like I imagined". It''s a shame really. In our mod at least we were completely sure that AK sounds came from an AK, the diesel engines in the BMPs had different sounds than those in BMDs. I'm sorry it didnt sound "real" to most people. Sadly we didnt have a sound guy at all to prettify them all. Having someone like Jarhead and his technical knowledge together with our research would have made all the difference.

Human nature is very interesting. In our mind we often substitute what sounds real and what sounds nice. Often you are completely certain how one thing sounds and then listen to it in real life and know completely that "that didn't sound anything like I imagined". It''s a shame really. In our mod at least we were completely sure that AK sounds came from an AK, the diesel engines in the BMPs had different sounds than those in BMDs. I'm sorry it didnt sound "real" to most people. Sadly we didnt have a sound guy at all to prettify them all. Having someone like Jarhead and his technical knowledge together with our research would have made all the difference.

I guess they main problem with your sounds was that they were:

A: too quiet

B: Were missing all the features JSRS provides, like the distance script (nothing you can be blamed for :) )

And I agree that a teamup of you guys + someone who knows how to get your sounds into the game properly would make all the difference. Maybe you should try team up with NouberNou? In my Opinion it would be awesome to have this incorporated into ACE and ACSE. Pufu seems to be working with you guys and I guess he is still involved with ACE. I hope that the mod will be ACE compatible this time :p

I guess they main problem with your sounds was that they were:

A: too quiet

B: Were missing all the features JSRS provides, like the distance script (nothing you can be blamed for :) )

And I agree that a teamup of you guys + someone who knows how to get your sounds into the game properly would make all the difference. Maybe you should try team up with NouberNou? In my Opinion it would be awesome to have this incorporated into ACE and ACSE. Pufu seems to be working with you guys and I guess he is still involved with ACE. I hope that the mod will be ACE compatible this time :p

It is again a question of manpower. Its very hard for us to build an awesome mod, and then also make sure it is compatible with other awesome mods, and has features of other awesome mods. We have to draw the line somewhere. I mean take JSRS. It takes a tremendous effort to make that mod. And thats just a sound mod, no models, no textures, no fumbling with physx, no making icons for editor, no making sure that vehicles are compatible with ACE armor. At the same time RHS has a very complex development IT structure, so when taking on new members we have to spend a considerable amount of time training them (svn, bugtracker etc.) without knowing really even if these people will deliver on their promises in the end.

NouberNou is a close friend and we discuss with him ACE compatibility from time to time.

---------- Post added at 12:35 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Head over to our FACEBOOK page for a new exclusive WIP image of the BMP-3M.

1. no, i am not part of ACE since A2 version was released. But i have a good relation with sick and noubernou etc

2. this is my own opinion, and by no means reflects RHS view (where SA has the final saying anyways): ACE is a mod based on features. To achieve those features, some of which really innovative/realistic/groundbreaking etc, they change a lot of the inheritance, as well the way things needs to be done from the get go. To have RHS content available and compatible with ACE, one of the following needs to be done:

a) have RHS content (as in models in mlod format) transfered over to ACE to get them in (which is something i am fully against due to a huge number of factors, none of which having something to do with ACE team, ACE mod or their developers).

b) have RHS create content and features using ACE guidelines and inheritance and dummys and so forth, which will most likely create issues for users (such as myself) that choose not to use ACE for one reason or another.

ACE is, at least for me, an optional mod, just like RHS or FFAA or CSLA etc. It isn't the "community platform", nor it is mandatory. In a perfect world, RHS would be compatible with ACE by default, just like it would be with any other mod that doesn't change BI configs, without us having to change vanilla configs to accommodate ACE. Now, i understand why ACE needs to create workarounds and change things to get their features in, but this is, at least from where i am standing, a decision that shouldn't affect other modding groups. One could think the other way around: ACE is not compatible with RHS, and not RHS is not compatible with ACE...

To conclude, ACE for A3 hasn't even seen light of day, so most of the "ace compatibility" thing is moot anyways...

The problem with JSRS is that the author probably didnt see (hear) real tanks or other tracked vehicles in motion. He also has no idea how incredibly loud the engine of these vehicles. So, for example, you absolutely dont hear any track noise inside. Or, the engine sound is actually amplified inside, not damped, totally deafening. In the mod, outside track noise level is vastly exaggerated. (see video above for comparison) Im saying these from experience, I have driven various types, like VT-55, BLG-60, MTLBu, BMP-1 or GSP-55.

Again JSRS mod is great, the weapon sound effects are very well done. Just vehicles are off.

The problem with JSRS is that the author probably didnt see (hear) real tanks or other tracked vehicles in motion. He also has no idea how incredibly loud the engine of these vehicles. So, for example, you absolutely dont hear any track noise inside. Or, the engine sound is actually amplified inside, not damped, totally deafening. In the mod, outside track noise level is vastly exaggerated. (see video above for comparison) Im saying these from experience, I have driven various types, like VT-55, BLG-60, MTLBu, BMP-1 or GSP-55.

Again JSRS mod is great, the weapon sound effects are very well done. Just vehicles are off.

Its probably a trade off with the vehicle sounds? Can you imagine the uproar if the vehicle sounds 'were' that loud in game!

Everyone would moan that they couldn't hear ppl/comms on VON/teamspeak etc etc

Anyways, good to see this coming to Arma3 :cool:

Edited by ck-claw
spelling lol

Its probably a trade off with the vehicle sounds? Can you imagine the uproar if the vehicle sounds 'were' that loud in game!

Everyone would moan that they couldn't hear ppl/comms on VON/teamspeak etc etc

Anyways, good to see this coming to Arma3 :cool:

The BMPs in arma 2 jsrs were loud as fuck inside we stopped even bothering to attempt a short briefing inside one as it's just people shouting 'WHAT?' at each other for most of it.

Yeah I know what you are saying. Sadly LJ isn´t that much into vehicels. There was a vehicle Soundmod for Arma 2 that had really awesome sounds (don´t know what it was called) sadly the author disappeared and the mod wasn´t continued.

Human nature is very interesting. In our mind we often substitute what sounds real and what sounds nice. Often you are completely certain how one thing sounds and then listen to it in real life and know completely that "that didn't sound anything like I imagined".

+1. The M4 sounds for example in Jsrs in A2 are unfortunately out right absurd. They sound very nice, but when you pull your head out of the sand, it is in fact impossible not to recognise that an M4 doesn't sound like a mechanical tool: The bullet being fired sounds more than the bolt moving around IRL, as opposed to Jsrs. I love Jsrs for the distance sounds, but everything else is what I'd expect from CoD or BF, it sounds nice, and people with zero experience will always be very keen to believe that the good sounding sounds are also realistic sounds.

but everything else is what I'd expect from CoD or BF, it sounds nice, and people with zero experience will always be very keen to believe that the good sounding sounds are also realistic sounds.

Kinda funny considering the work put into the sounds in Battelfield...

http://vimeo.com/20869893

i agree, the DICE sound engine is incredibly realistic with all of the sounds recorded from the actual weapon.

Well, for starters, the game developers always seem to alter the sounds quite a bit. And second, I've become sort of skeptical when I hear claims about "we've gone to amazing lengths to record realistic gun sounds ever" for the 10th time, and everything sounds different for the 10th time.

Looking forward to your stuff, RHS has been 100% quality since the days of OFP!

**If you at any point would like to use my Mi-28N model that was the basis for the CMA one just send me a PM. It was reduced in polycount for Arma back in the day, it is not a bad model overall.

cheers for the offer, will keep it in mind when i/we get there.. :d

Hi guys,

I would like to congratulate Soul_Assasin! You are making great work. I bought ARMA 2 and 3 only because of your work.

I have one question for you because i couldn't find this anywhere else. Do your addon will contain contain multiplayer co-op mission as well as new russian units or it'll be ready without the campaign? I really can't stand why there's no other-side campaign in ARMA 2/3 as it was in OFP (love the Red Hammer)

Regards!

Hehe, wow I just realized there is an A3 AFRF thread. Anyway I'm back from many months of hibernation and ready to roll again. Check our facebook page for some latest goodies;)