Sign in to follow this  
twisted

infantry needs.

Infantry is the beating heart of arma3. and it's been imporved on since arma2. With good things like recoil that doesn't return exactly to start, effort is needed. Pretty authentic weapon sway based on stance (although this does beg for weapon support on objects, etc).

but having put a couple hundred hours into the game, i feel their are elements that need improving to round out the experience. Ome you might have thought of yourself, some maybe not.

* Weight and corresponing movement speed/ intertia of each weapon accurate to real world expecations. so big weapons like the LMG's (10kg+) take langer to move then smaller SMGs.

** Working bipods (deployable via hotkey and working like an accessory in inventory)

* resting weapons on supports like walls, fences, tables, vechiles, etc if they are at right height/position for great weapon stability. a real wide used tactic when using firearms and needed more control over sway.

** recoil to the right and left. currently there is only (AFAIK) vertical and back recoil.

** less mechanical recoil animations of the character holding the weapon while it's fired. right now the gun pushes up or back very mechanically without it feeling like a human holding the weapon. Personally feel there's shitload of work needed here as how it is now.

* auto weapon raise/lower when close to walls.

* proper reaction to being shot depending where. and sorting of armour over protection as it is now. Currently ongoing in dev branch i think. But beyong protection we need limps, disabled limbs, bleeding out, incapatation, occasional knock down of character on bullet impact even if protection reduces damage taken.

* LMG's that fire from the hip and cannot be held up long to fire like rifles. The sway should increase quite quickly as these are pretty damn heavy.

* weapon ready down (aka held towards ground at about 45' angle) rather than all characters pointing guns at each other. Bad doctrine as you dont ever point your gun at what you are not ready to kill.

** Scoping time. Aka length of time taken to scope in should be noticably different between iron sights to acog to long range sights. With the closer range sights being faster to line up and sight through of course.

* option to snap in to sights like iron sights rather than having the long arm effect(aka seems like the weapon is held out at arms length away from you) when selecting them and then having to hold RMB to zoom in properly. Zoom in is a consious effort to focus on the target and this delay is frustrating every time. for peripheral vision dont go to sight mode.

* authentic fatigue system that takes carried weight into account. dont dumb it down please. make it like it would be reaislitically expected to be. An doctrine that I'd say could be the measure of things for Arma3.

These few things will take the infantry side of combat up to the next level for MP and SP.

Edited by twisted

That's quite a well thought out post.

Just something that comes to mind regarding L and R recoil - even though we all know not to snatch at triggers, I imagine there would be a lot of that going on judging by how players spam shots off in all the YT videos I've seen. Be nice to see that reflected in game.

Just a little thing that popped into my mind yesterday:

Keybind for opening parachute. I couldn't find one under Controls. The H-key seems to be free, for example. One less scrollmenu item.

The recoil in Arma 3 reminds me of Finnish Defense Force mod. It had lots of recoil but the weapons were also powerful. Not the case in Arma 3.

Imo, recoil needs to be toned down on assault rifles and damage upped on pistols. Everything shoots like a peashooter/paintball gun now. Some more, some less. For example with Rahim, I need 2-5 shots to kill anything. It stops being a sniper rifle and enters the territory of an assault rifle when it takes so many shots. I'm pretty sure even the Mk18 is more effiecient than Rahim. I don't ever use silencer so that isn't a consideration.

The guns using 5.56mm ammo I don't even consider equipping. 8 shots to kill anything...really. Would be more efficient to run up to the enemy and knife them.

With the Lynx I can kill a soldier with 1 shot just about anywhere on his body. My kind of gun. Sadly a free sniper slot is rare in MP.

There is another consideration here.

If carryweight started to matter, the guns should do more damage. Simply because right now we NEED 20 mags of ammo because guns do very little damage. If the damage was doubled, the amount of magazines required should also decrease by half (especially if the weight was doubled and affected our soldiers stamina in a meaningful way).

Edited by mamasan8

Agreed- but how is this

* weapon ready down (aka held towards ground at about 45' angle) rather than all characters pointing guns at each other. Bad doctrine as you dont ever point your gun at what you are not ready to kill.

different than simply hitting L-CTRL twice?

Agreed- but how is this

different than simply hitting L-CTRL twice?

good point. difference is it becomes the default. and stops every character looking like theyre always aiming at everything which is so immersion breaking.

that is an animation issue. when soldiers turn in aware mode or above, they point their weapons up. i like red orchestra 2's system. your weapon's always pointed down or in a relaxed position until you use ironsight or fire. in arma 3, you need to press fire or raise weapon key, then use iron sight or fire. an unnecessary and unintuitive extra step that does not reflect how soldiers can raise muzzle and fire quickly.

Fully agree with weapon down, also it becomes annoying having to continuously lower it when interacting things in the game, I bound my key to 1XCTRL as it happens often I also dont like seeing weapon raised when not shooting at something.

The first post should really find a way into the game. would save a lot of mods and of course and make the game much more realistic. Even for arcade players this would be a benefit.

Suppression effects are needed for the infantry side.

Suppression effects are always a touchy subject in first person shooters. You have those who want it and those who don't.

However, suppression is what routinely determines the outcome in most real engagements. Almost every battle drill (from armies all around the world) are built around suppressing the enemy while another element finishes off the enemy. Tactics differ around the world. In the western way infantry combat you will see battle drills that focus more on direct fire engagements while other friendly elements close in to destroy. Far eastern tactics differ in that many are centered around destroying the enemy with indirect fire, BUT with keeping the enemy in one area by suppressing them with direct fire weapons.

My point is you can't create a "military simulation" without having a suppression effect.

I would also say those who don't want it and think that bullets whizzing by their head would have no effect on them precisely returning fire to point targets have never been suppressed in real combat before.

Well, that's the thing, isn't it? It all depends on how the person reacts to gunfire. The reality of it is that good suppression means that if you move, you die. There isn't any magic blur that stops you from doing anything else, just you and your instinct of self-preservation (which is kinda lacking atm in Arma imo).

Personally, when I hear a large thuds and cracks and I know it's not my friends I go low and cheese it to the nearest solid-looking object (suppression at work). It really depends on the person, and in my honest opinion it would disagree with me if I had an artificial handicap to compensate for lack of skill.

Play Ghost Recon 1 for an hour in singleplayer and you will know what it is like to be suppressed when you hear an MG3 chewing up the side of the wall you are behind. No hokey blur effects or stupid limitations needed :)

* Weight and corresponing movement speed/ intertia of each weapon accurate to real world expecations. so big weapons like the LMG's (10kg+) take langer to move then smaller SMGs.

This is in ACE mod. It shouldn't be included in normal arma. Arma is successful BECAUSE it's made for both casual and hardcore fans.

** Working bipods (deployable via hotkey and working like an accessory in inventory)

Completely Agree. There ARE mods for it, and it's in ACE. But with that ungodly sway, and obvious bipods on the freakin guns, you should be able to deploy, WITH the motion. It shouldn't take That much effort and would polish the game quite a bit.

* resting weapons on supports like walls, fences, tables, vechiles, etc if they are at right height/position for great weapon stability. a real wide used tactic when using firearms and needed more control over sway.

Same reason as above. you forgot people's shoulders.

** recoil to the right and left. currently there is only (AFAIK) vertical and back recoil.

This might be cool, but I'm not sure how it could be executed very well.

** less mechanical recoil animations of the character holding the weapon while it's fired. right now the gun pushes up or back very mechanically without it feeling like a human holding the weapon. Personally feel there's shitload of work needed here as how it is now.

I feel this is lower priority. Yes, it could use polishing, but there's a lot bigger fish to fry (Content, Bugs, etc) before attacking animations that do the job fine.

* auto weapon raise/lower when close to walls.

I'm on the fence for this. It could just end up being an ungodly headache and abused. For example, what happens when you walk through doors? If an enemy is camping through the door, and your gun goes up every time you pass through, you're even MORE defenseless while in a main killzone.

* proper reaction to being shot depending where. and sorting of armour over protection as it is now. Currently ongoing in dev branch i think. But beyond protection we need limps, disabled limbs, bleeding out, incapatation, occasional knock down of character on bullet impact even if protection reduces damage taken.

This again falls to ACE mod. You're going for more involved healing systems. I stand by arma should be CASUAL in it's vanilla state.

* LMG's that fire from the hip and cannot be held up long to fire like rifles. The sway should increase quite quickly as these are pretty damn heavy.

This would be interesting, but all the LMGs in game are held at the shoulder. Maybe for MG's like the M60 or something which requires a shoulder strap. AGAIN, this is straying into serious, not casual.

Double tap control, this is already implemented.

** Scoping time. Aka length of time taken to scope in should be noticeably different between iron sights to acog to long range sights. With the closer range sights being faster to line up and sight through of course.

Not sure what you're talking about... are you talking about zeroing into the shot or actually seeing out of the scope?

* option to snap in to sights like iron sights rather than having the long arm effect(aka seems like the weapon is held out at arms length away from you) when selecting them and then having to hold RMB to zoom in properly. Zoom in is a consious effort to focus on the target and this delay is frustrating every time. for peripheral vision dont go to sight mode.

double tap numpad - or buy TrackIR or TrackNOIR. Work arounds, yes, but they get the job done.

* authentic fatigue system that takes carried weight into account. dont dumb it down please. make it like it would be reaislitically expected to be. An doctrine that I'd say could be the measure of things for Arma3.

Again, this falls to ACE. There is a certain 'weight' system implemented, but it's more about "How much crap can I stuff in this backpack" rather than weight. I disagree for vanilla arma.

In case you're reading this, and going 'WTF IS ACE', a quick description.

ACE stands for Advanced Combat Environment. It is a very large, and very loved ARMA 2 mod. It ties in with ACRE (Advanced Combat Radio Environment), and allows for pretty much everything you're talking about.

For example, if you're a sniper, you need the following gear.

-Spotting scope (For your spotter to help spot targets)

-Rangefinder AND batteries (Rangefinders will not operate without batteries)

-Kestral Gauge (For measuring Wind speed and directions, so you can adjust to shoot into the wind)

-Cheat Sheet (To tell you what the measurements from the rangefinder and kestral are telling you, and how much you need to tune your optics elevation and wind)

-Spare Barrel (Because once in a blue moon your barrel will go b0om.)

JUST to name a single instance.

Edited by KingScuba

Double tap control, this is already implemented.

Gonna have to disagree with you on that. It's currently only a switch between a relaxed stance and a combat stance. Not at all like how it could be made, wich would be several times better for all infantry players. Reminded me that I have to update my thread on the matter.