Sign in to follow this  
biggerdave

HSO ArmA 3 SLA pack

Literally 3 things left on my to-do list. Expect a preliminary release (basically an unsigned final beta) sometime this week, and a full release, let's say next Monday. Maybe earlier, if there's no huge bugs, and my computer doesn't explode or anything (it has been making some funny noises recently...)

Let's hope it won't!

Really nice screens. Can't wait to try your units in-game :)

Edited by MistyRonin

Set8_Hill.jpg

Today, an successful assault was led on Hill "preliminary release" by a platoon sized element of survivors from the SLAGF 4th Motor Rifles and Tandag Guard. The position has been taken, and we are digging in to prepare for a counterattack by unexpected bug forces.

DOWNLOADS;

Armaholic: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26681

Mega: https://mega.co.nz/#!utt3Ubxb!P0DAIEmy63FUifKHFWx0luYtkidT-8jAG6gYarRO7Js

(There's a download limit on this, but I don't know what it is. If you can upload or seed this, please consider it. If I wasn't on a watchlist before, I definitely am now... the things I do for my work!)

4Shared: http://www.4shared.com/rar/p7IV8mseba/HSO_A3_SLA_Pack_Pre1-1.html

(nb, there's a 3gb download limit per day and 30gb per month - effectively 10 downloads, so please be considerate, if you can mirror this or torrent it, please do. If you can't, don't use this link unless you have to. I'm looking into other options right now.)

A few notes:

-This is provided unsigned, intended for final beta testing and to actually release something. If you want to use it on a big server, wait until the main release, pencilled in for Monday.

-ATGM and MANPADs are really just reskins of the Titan. I would remove them, but right now that's more trouble than it's worth.

-The CDF have been completely overhauled to be more ex-soviet. The Western style troops are still in though, they're now "guard" rather than regulars.

-Some CDF and NAPA soldiers have a habit of wearing multiple belts. This was initially viewed as a bug, though alternate theories suggest the rise of Japanese media culture in the Green Sea region may be to blame for this fashion trend.

-There's clipping with vests and balaclavas. I know what's causing this, but unfortunately fixing it is beyond my abilities.

-A lot of GUI pictures are either wrong, missing or both. This is a relatively minor issue, and is going to be what I'll mainly be fixing up until monday.

-SLAGF pilots have the wrong vest. I remembered I had to fix this literally half way through uploading it. This has been fixed, but rebuilding the PBO, testing ingame to make sure it hasn't arbitrarily decided to stop working, or I made a stupid typo, rebuilding the .rar, and reuploading is about another 2 hours work, and I'm just opening the door to more feature creep... sorry.

-The readme is a bit of a draft for now. And I may have been slightly drunk when I wrote it. Read too heavily into anything written there at your own peril.

Edited by BiggerDave
New Links

I just download it! And it's A HUGE LOT of good content. Awesome work!

I'll give proper feedback when I have tested all.

I'd suggest you to contact Armaholic to see if they can host the files.

I just download it! And it's A HUGE LOT of good content. Awesome work!

I'll give proper feedback when I have tested all.

I'd suggest you to contact Armaholic to see if they can host the files.

If it comes to it, I do have access to the Armedassault.info ftp server, but I don't think I'm supposed to use it for stuff like this (I'm not officially a newsposter), and I know there's some issues with disk space there. Armaholic are usually pretty good at getting stuff rehosted without needing to be pestered about it, so it wouldn't surprise me if their team are already on it :p

I really like the units, there is a lot of variety, and I like the idea that all the sides have at least one "army" and one "guerrilla" ( also the inclusion of regulars, and reserve ). I think it'll become one of my little usual selection of A3 mods.

A couple of uniforms are a bit too bright for me, but are not used widely ( at least I haven't seen them in use by any of the main factions ).

I also dislike the addition of the A3 titan as an AA, it would be cooler IMO to have Stinger and Igla manpads.

But again, really good work. I do believe this mod is gonna give me a huge amount of fun :)

any chance for standard arma:armed assault vehicles? You know bro I really like your stuff, i think it's one of the best thing out there but still u fall in the modders trap. 300mb+

I am just suggesting again. Communities tend to select addons for their game. Adding like 5 of them makes ur game go 1gb.

Still i think its the best and most complete thing out there

I really like the units, there is a lot of variety, and I like the idea that all the sides have at least one "army" and one "guerrilla" ( also the inclusion of regulars, and reserve ). I think it'll become one of my little usual selection of A3 mods.

A couple of uniforms are a bit too bright for me, but are not used widely ( at least I haven't seen them in use by any of the main factions ).

I also dislike the addition of the A3 titan as an AA, it would be cooler IMO to have Stinger and Igla manpads.

But again, really good work. I do believe this mod is gonna give me a huge amount of fun :)

Some of the alternate uniforms are designed for different environments, so they might look a bit jarring when they're used out of place. If they don't seem to be used, they're probably designed for Terrains where the default schemes would be too out of place (except for 6-Color. That's just there because it's what RACS used to use :p )

MANPADS aren't really done. I do want to replace the Titan with something like a Stinger and the Titan knock-off with something like a Strela. Like I said, none of the "big" launchers are really done, the soldiers just been included for completions sake/as placeholders/to avoid breaking stuff if I remove them.

any chance for standard arma:armed assault vehicles? You know bro I really like your stuff, i think it's one of the best thing out there but still u fall in the modders trap. 300mb+

I am just suggesting again. Communities tend to select addons for their game. Adding like 5 of them makes ur game go 1gb.

Still i think its the best and most complete thing out there

A big addon size is to be expected - it's a big addon! I could maybe offer an alternate version with reduced texture quality (since that's were most of the data is), which would have a smaller file size, say, around half, maybe less, if all the 2048*2048 textures were resized to 1024*1024. I don't know how that would work with the key system, though. (I don't think it'd be an issue - AiA have done something similar with their island pack, and I haven't seen anyone complain about it)

Vehicles aren't really my area of expertise, especially with the new PhysX system (I say "new", the games been out for over year now :p , you know what I mean, though). I am considering just doing the textures for some common vehicles (T72s, BMPs, Hinds and so on) so people can use them alongside stuff like AiA or the RDS tank pack.

do this unit pack support ALIVE at the moment?

It should. I haven't tested it recently, but it did work - unless ALIVE have changed how things work there shouldn't be any problems. Right now RACS and the SLA airforce/navy don't have a full set of groups defined yet, so they might be a bit iffy.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Dude!..... Incredible First Effort here. Love the Camos and you get Man of the year for porting the Generals! Everything is looking awesome. Let me know if you need any help. The Reserve Helmet is awesome btw!

Lamar

Outstanding job !:yay: this add so much variety of interesting gear, allowing us to use a hundred of possibilities way beyond the basic SLA/Racs thing. I was thinking about doing a cold war era campaign, and this might help.

The only negatives things I see are maybe the DBU 6 color uniform which is too yellowish to my taste, I think it should be more bright like the DBU 6 color cap pattern you used.

_The weapons, but that's not your fault,I think that some mlods like the m16 begins to look a bit oldish since arma 1.

_And some Vests are clipping like the PASGT one. By the way any chance you make a m69 flak vest ? :p

Edited by JackBender

Outstanding job !:yay: this add so much variety of interesting gear, allowing us to use a hundred of possibilities way beyond the basic SLA/Racs thing. I was thinking about doing a cold war era campaign, and this might help.

The only negatives things I see are maybe the DBU 6 color uniform which is too yellowish to my taste, I think it should be more bright like the DBU 6 color cap pattern you used.

_The weapons, but that's not your fault,I think that some mlods like the m16 begins to look a bit oldish since arma 1.

_And some Vests are clipping like the PASGT one. By the way any chance you make a FLAK jacket ? :p

Flak Jacket - probably not, I don't know what I'd use it for, and it'd be a bit too similar to the plain PASGT vest.

BDUs - are bugged (I messed up the layering, so the textures are too dark/oversaturated on this model). Fixing now.

Models - Can't really fix the vests (all my attempts to solve it have just made things worse :p ). I could maybe improve the texture on the M16, though, which might make it look a lot nicer, but, it'd be a lot of work, so I probably wouldn't be able to get it done by Monday. Realized M16 textures were a bit poorly implemented - one 1024*2048 texture and one 2048*2048 texture that was barely used. Switched to 2 2048 textures, and added a very tiny amount of weathering, and it's basically made it look a million times better. (plus, IIRC the engine doesn't like rectangular textures, so it shouldn't make any difference performance-wise. I might be wrong there, though. Wouldn't make much difference, anyhow.)

Edited by BiggerDave