Sign in to follow this  
Alabatross

Will recent high sales affect the future of BI games (ArmA4)?

Let's talk about getting ArmA 3 to the point that it needs to be at before we even mention an ArmA 4. ;)

I think the alternative is fairly obvious, that being BI could have cut the larger costing, less paying project Arma, in favor of the higher grossing, less resource intensive DayZ. Anybody who doesn't think that Arma 3 wasn't a hair's breath away from being cancelled is kidding themselves but that by no means implies they would have quit on a project as lucrative as DayZ. Jeez, the Alpha is still at Steam #1 for almost a full month strong!

Um, how would they have cut Arma 3 in favor of DayZ if DayZ had never existed? Did you read the post I was replying to?

You're willfully deluding yourself if you think that Semiconductor was referring to Arma 3. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but how is DayZ unoriginal either? Whether or not you like DayZ (I thought it got boring fast) it is undeniably an original idea, and one that spawned several copycats.

Let's talk about getting ArmA 3 to the point that it needs to be at before we even mention an ArmA 4. ;)

No kidding. It's shocking how many people are already looking forward to the next game when this one hasn't even been out a year and content is still being added to it. I don't feel like I've got my money's worth out of this one yet, and I didn't even pay full price.

Yeah, a bunch of programmers so ArmA4 will have all the features. :)

Or, what I said, get some people who can take a look at the code, bring in experience from other development studios and other engines, and can work on some major improvements, for Arma 3.

Oh, and ordinarily, wouldn't the mods close this thread with a statement a la "DayZ discussion belongs on DayZ forums" or something like that? Yeah, thought so.

And as a retort to your argument, I don't understand how ArmA 3 is unoriginal, if you can name another game like it outside of the ArmA series, please tell me. Also, you contradict yourself. You say its successful (albeit for 14 year olds, which even though they are annoying, its not like they don't pay for the game) and then say its not very popular.
Of course I can, there is a game that way better than Arma (well, graphics might be a little bit outdated): VBS! :D I was actually talking about DayZ, not Arma 3. :) Concerning development expences: the point is that Arma players are generally more demanding than DayZ players. BI don't need to make an OA-sized DLC with lots of new content and features to keep players intrested in game, a couple of hats/masks/gestures/festive weapons per quarter would probably be enough.
Yeah, but how is DayZ unoriginal either? Whether or not you like DayZ (I thought it got boring fast) it is undeniably an original idea, and one that spawned several copycats.
Well, I think that survival in zombie apocalypse is hardly an original idea. There are thousands of games that use "survival in zombie apocalypse" setting, from Left4Dead and Dead Space to Lone Survivor and Plants vs. Zombies, not to mention all those games and movies that involve zombies. I agree that DayZ have original gameplay mechanics compared to other zombie survival games, but those mechanics are inherited from Arma, they aren't something brand-new. Anyways, that's only my personal opinion. :) Edited by Semiconductor

Usualy, we had zombie games like L4D etc before dayz. Small areas, just shooting hordes of zombies. I was never zombie fan (or how to say it?). But dayz, is really something new and different, a survival game with zombies in it, where worst enemies are people and not zeds.

According to MCV Magazine (Issue 770, Friday 10th January).

£20 Million in revenue was made in shifting 1 Million Dayz copies in the first 4 weeks of being on sale.

Well, I think that survival in zombie apocalypse is hardly an original idea. There are thousands of games that use "survival in zombie apocalypse" setting, from Left4Dead and Dead Space to Lone Survivor and Plants vs. Zombies, not to mention all those games and movies that involve zombies. I agree that DayZ have original gameplay mechanics compared to other zombie survival games, but those mechanics are inherited from Arma, they aren't something brand-new. Anyways, that's only my personal opinion. :)

You missed the point, the game has zombies yes but they are not the true obstacle, the real survival challenge is against other people and how they react and that is why people play the game. Yeah zombies has a little influence but that isn't the mass appeal, the appeal is about the human interaction and spin the wheel roulette that comes with it when you're probably not getting killed by bandits on the word go....a world where people can do whatever they want within the limits of the game..a scary thought.

If I had the game I'd probably do this every night to have some fun with the psyche's of random passerbys.

(ending is justice) Edited by NodUnit

BIS have big plans for Arma 4. It's going to be set in North Korea and feature authentic, on-site researched locales.

(are we allowed to joke about the Lemnos thing yet?)

Maybe they could use some of the dough to hire better AI programmers for their driving and especially flying parts.Seeing an attack chopper in 2014 fly exactly over the enemy just like Ofp/A1/A2 doesn't scream mil sim,more like kamikaze sim.

BIS have big plans for Arma 4. It's going to be set in North Korea and feature authentic, on-site researched locales.

(are we allowed to joke about the Lemnos thing yet?)

whats your source for arma 4 being korean?

whats your source for arma 4 being korean?

It's a joke/sarcasm ;)

Edited by Papanowel
forget the smiley

Let's be happy Bis is making money.

The cash flow will only help the studio.

That would be great DLC to be honest

Actually... yeah it would be! It would be awesome.

I agree that DayZ have original gameplay mechanics compared to other zombie survival games, but those mechanics are inherited from Arma, they aren't something brand-new. Anyways, that's only my personal opinion. :)

the actual "mother" of dayZ comes from arma. people like to forget it but before dayZ there were several DZS-dynamic zombie sandbox servers doing exactly what dayZ does minus persistent sql data saving. and the most popular server (tonic's) was very PvP focused much like dayZ. in fact, my whole "dayZ gang" from the early days were guys i got to know on these servers. not to belittle anyone's achievements but in my opinion rocket just saw what was popular and added it to his persistent stuff he made for his clan (usec) way before even thinking about zombies. it was a clever combination of taking persistence and adding it to the zombie apocalypse sandbox thing that Craig made. not to mention the walking dead had just launched. perfect timing ;)

That would be great DLC to be honest :D

actually would not mind to see chinese army next, since they are in csat in my memory.

You're willfully deluding yourself if you think that Semiconductor was referring to Arma 3. :rolleyes:

I just realized how much of an idiot I sounded like in that post D:

*sigh* i know you're going to hate me but:

§8) Post in the right forum & right thread

Please ensure you make new threads in the correct forum, if you're unsure of which forum to post in feel free to ask a moderator. If a thread exists for the topic you wish to post about you must use it, for example all ACE questions belong in the ACE thread. All addon/mod questions belong in the thread for that addon/mod. In the case of DayZ discussions they should be posted on the DayZ forums, this includes problems with the Modification. The troubleshooting forum is not for problems with Addons and Mods!

-Closing-

A few PM's asked for a way to re-open the thread. Here it is. Please do not discuss pro's and con's of the game DayZ itself.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

the actual "mother" of dayZ comes from arma. people like to forget it but before dayZ there were several DZS-dynamic zombie sandbox servers doing exactly what dayZ does minus persistent sql data saving. and the most popular server (tonic's) was very PvP focused much like dayZ. in fact, my whole "dayZ gang" from the early days were guys i got to know on these servers. not to belittle anyone's achievements but in my opinion rocket just saw what was popular and added it to his persistent stuff he made for his clan (usec) way before even thinking about zombies. it was a clever combination of taking persistence and adding it to the zombie apocalypse sandbox thing that Craig made. not to mention the walking dead had just launched. perfect timing ;)

Agreed , I often wonder what these guys would have done with a chernarus , I recall when the DayZ mod came outit reminded meof a concepti had read 8 months earlier here

http://www.sandswept.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=180

Good luck to em all but I really do hope A3 benefits and we can finally get horses in Takistan

EDIT: didn't see myke's indication :P

Edited by Zek

Do we actually know about BI team assignments and team size Dayz vs. Arma?

I believe the biggest cake receives the biggest development support

I believe the biggest cake receives the biggest development support

Indeed. You see, ArmA has always been a cupcake. Maybe a large cupcake, but a cupcake nonetheless. However, it's a cupcake that makes your eyes roll back into your head as the combination of some of the best flavors in the world hit your taste buds. It is the Dr. Pepper of the culinary gaming world.

DayZ, on the other hand, is a wedding cake. A big, chocolate, wedding cake. It's kind of tasty, true, but it's only one flavor, and you would only want a slice, whereas with the cupcakes you just keep going back for more... ;)

Please FFS change the title of the thread and remove the word "ARMA 4"

I don't want to hear or think such possibility at least for the next 3 years..

I m waiting ARMA 3 to grow and become the game i always dreamed..

does BIS benefit from DayZ standalone sales?

if yes, it would be good because in the last news BIS told us they will invest more in ArmA 3 after 3rd episode of campaign release.