Sign in to follow this  
Polymath820

Poor Frame Rates no matter the setting on my system

I am having the same problems, I have tried every fix in the book and have gotten next to zero increase in fps. I get 45-60 in singleplayer but when I join a server it all goes to hell and I get about 10-15fps. What makes it even worse is I just went and bought a gtx 760 for $300 thinking my old graphics card was the problem but that didnt help at all. I have a i7 920 3.7ghz also so my system should be able to handle this game no problem. I'm in the same boat as you buddy.

i7-990x

Standard 72,000 rpm 1tb Seagate

2x GTX 670

12gb ddr3 12800 Munshkin

1000 PSU

(Up to date Nvidia drivers)

Was playing with video settings on and offline. Whatever setting I put the game on it doesn't seem to effect the FPS much. Online I could drop settings to low with about 14 people on a server and would not effect FPS dropping or increasing from 24 FPS. Very disapointing. Auto detect sets my video settings to some crazy maxed out settings, which I don't run, but is relatively stable it seems on single-player.

i7-990x

Standard 72,000 rpm 1tb Seagate

2x GTX 670

12gb ddr3 12800 Munshkin

1000 PSU

(Up to date Nvidia drivers)

Was playing with video settings on and offline. Whatever setting I put the game on it doesn't seem to effect the FPS much. Online I could drop settings to low with about 14 people on a server and would not effect FPS dropping or increasing from 24 FPS. Very disapointing. Auto detect sets my video settings to some crazy maxed out settings, which I don't run, but is relatively stable it seems on single-player.

Are you using Hyperthreading? I am not sure how Arma 3 is compared to Arma 2 but I gained 15 fps average by just disabling Hyperthreading.

I've spent a lot of time in my BIOS and I don't think I have ever seen the ability to turn off Hyperthreading. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm not accusing you of lying, but I didn't think that was a thing you just turned off.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 MB

I think 72,000RPM is not quite right, I don't think SAS drives even run that fast don't you mean 7,200RPM? I also started thinking I wonder if this problem is not what the CPU or the GPU are doing but what the Northside Bridge and the Southside bridge are doing on the motherboard and the FSB to the CPU I wonder if people who get great FPS have a fast FSB because I know for a fact I have a 100Mhz FSB but the "really high performance ones" have 400Mhz+ meaning it can shunt data to and from the CPU in larger quantities.

Everyone post your FSB clock speed and northbridge.

"Northbridge typically connnects CPU, RAM, BIOS ROM, and PCI Express (or AGP)" The northbridge speed is key to the systems communication to and from all of the "high speed components"

The Southside Bridge communicates with the HDD etc (Low speed components)

I've spent a lot of time in my BIOS and I don't think I have ever seen the ability to turn off Hyperthreading. Maybe I'm wrong, and I'm not accusing you of lying, but I didn't think that was a thing you just turned off.

ASUS Sabertooth X58 MB

Check the 4th picture down HERE

Intel HT technology = Hyperthreading.

I think 72,000RPM is not quite right, I don't think SAS drives even run that fast don't you mean 7,200RPM? I also started thinking I wonder if this problem is not what the CPU or the GPU are doing but what the Northside Bridge and the Southside bridge are doing on the motherboard and the FSB to the CPU I wonder if people who get great FPS have a fast FSB because I know for a fact I have a 100Mhz FSB but the "really high performance ones" have 400Mhz+ meaning it can shunt data to and from the CPU in larger quantities.

Everyone post your FSB clock speed and northbridge.

"Northbridge typically connnects CPU, RAM, BIOS ROM, and PCI Express (or AGP)" The northbridge speed is key to the systems communication to and from all of the "high speed components"

The Southside Bridge communicates with the HDD etc (Low speed components)

Northbridge speed is nowadays 2ghz or higher. FSB is just a base number that everything else in the system is multiplied with. 10x for NB, 13x for HT link, multiplier for CPU (mine is 20 since I have 4 ghz CPU), 8x for my RAM.

Those are defaults on my system.

Of course I can tinker with them when I overclock but benchmarks show that HT link speed has minimal effect and upping NB speed brings with it system instability quite fast. So best bet is to stick close to default values on those two.

Everytime you increase something, you have to increase voltage which brings extra heat which leads to instability at a certain point.

I'm running 215 FSB now (200 is default) but I don't see a huge gain. Actually I don't see a gain at all in Arma 3, not after yesterdays patch at least. 3Dmark gives me a few hundred extra points but that benchmark reacts much more to overclocked GPU.

Edited by mamasan8

ASUS Sabertooth X58 MB

Yes you can turn it off, It will be under the CPU configuration tab.

I think 72,000RPM is not quite right

Yea, decimal point is off. Raptor drives run at 10,000RPM. My mistake

Also, wouldn't disabling HT essentially be halving my "FSB" speed? Since my understanding of the technology is that it is a duplex information "highway" between my CPU and NB/SB.

Edit: More on point, why would disabling HT potentially solve the problem of Video settings not responding to Frame rate drop or Increase? Why would my Frame Rates potentially increase? Is there a theory? I don't mind trying, but I do like to understand why I'm doing something.

Edited by Chocolate
Additional question

HT benchmarks

http://www.overclock.net/t/671977/hyperthreading-in-games

Conclusion: Minimal difference but HT turned on adds another 5-15 C of CPU temp.

Also this from Arma 2 version of Dayz:

"PROBLEM: Really low FPS. (i7-processor)

SOLUTION: Disable Hyperthreading.

WHY: Because."

Source: http://steamcommunity.com/app/224580/discussions/0/828940351669908128/

Edited by mamasan8

Much appreciated. I have never heard a discussion about HT as an aspect of performance. The idea to have HT benchmarks never crossed my mind.

Between the Benchmark findings and "Because" I think I'll just let HT stay on unless I want to overclock in the future.

Between the Benchmark findings and "Because" I think I'll just let HT stay on unless I want to overclock in the future.

Having disabled HT to see if it improves performance I found it to provide a negligible improvement. It did however allow me to clock it slightly higher.