Sign in to follow this  
Hurtz72

FPS issue on new Dedicated Server

Hey guys I need help with an issue I've been having for a week now.

I'll put it in bullet form as it will be easier to read

• Leased a new dedicated server from Hetzner - Windows Server 2012 R2, 4770, 32Gig, SSD, 450 Mbit down 150 Mbit up.
  • Installed ARMA3
  • Copied my server instance over from a previous dedicated server.
  • Installed firedaemon and configure the ARMA3 instance to start in Session 0 (Interactive Services Detection)
  • Installed ASM
  • Done a bunch of other stuff

Server FPS with only one player on it is around 45 fps, the same server instance on another server running with lower specs and windows server 2008 R2 has 50 fps with one player. When a few people connect the server fps goes up and then starts to go down normally as players connect. So it seems like I'm getting throttled some how.

So I try a bunch of stuff after talking to Dwarden to no avial.

• Disabled core parking
  • Disabling UAC
  • Put power options on performance
  • backed out ASM ( all dll's and everything )
  • Tried running without firedaemon and just using a short cut with startup params.
  • Actually had the server reimaged just to be sure
  • Installed everything again.

Same problem 45 - 46 FPS with empty server. Now the fps goes up when players connect and I don't seem to be having a performance problem it's just that I feel that I maybe missing out on some performance somewhere. I'm running the lastest perf binaries. IDK, need some help.

FYI the multiplier does increase on the CPU as players connect and maxes out at 44X @ 3.8 Ghz

<a  href=59MszPC.jpg' alt='59MszPC.jpg'>

Edited by Hurtz72
Updated url

Interestingly enough, I am having the exact same issue, with the exact same server, and exact same host. However, mine is a 2012 R2 virtual machine, on 2012 Hyper-V.

Server FPS drops to below 5 when 40+ players connect.

Really need help

... your screenshot tells us:

'Currently Active power profile is Balanced'

... maybe you didn't set 'high performance' profile correctly ...

Greets,

Fred41

Fred your right and I had it set to high performance before the re-image. I thought the CPUpark utility could set the power options but I had to do I manually through control panel. This seems to keep my CPU frequency higher but it makes no difference to server fps.

<a  href=uQKosEa.jpg' alt='uQKosEa.jpg'>

. removed comment, didnt read your post thoroughly

Still having this issue however performance on the new server is looking pretty good. 50+ players on a TacBF server and server FPS was 35+. I still think that I may be missing out on some FPS but it only seems to be -5fps when the server has no load. As it loads up with 10 - 15 players server FPS increases up to 47 - 48 where at idle it's 45.

I got the same problem on the same server, in arma 2 50 fps server empty, now 47-48 max, don't know.. Didn't investigate about that..

Just to add to this, we've got the same problem with our Arma 2 server. Max SFPS is 46-48 empty.

Specs as follows:

• Leased a new dedicated server from Hetzner
  • Windows Server 2012 R2
  • i7 4770, 32Gig, SATA3, 500Mbit+ down 500Mbit+ up. (You sure you tested this right, it's 200Mbit guaranteed and I've never seen it dip below 350Mbit and thats probably the test server throttling it).

Edited by Cyruz

I don't think it's 2012 as one of the guys in this thread told me on steam that he tried it on 2008 R2 as well.

I'm pretty sure the guaranteed bandwidth that you are looking at are LAN speeds and not WAN speeds. Do a speed test from a website and see.

I don't think it's 2012 as one of the guys in this thread told me on steam that he tried it on 2008 R2 as well.

Actually talking with some other admins they've run servers on 2012 without issues so maybe this is somehow limited to Hetzner boxes.

I'm pretty sure the guaranteed bandwidth that you are looking at are LAN speeds and not WAN speeds. Do a speed test from a website and see.

That is an international test from Germany to the UK, I'd check your configs as those bandwidth numbers are way to low. Hetzner guarantees 200mbit minimum and you're on a 576Gbit internal network. Don't confuse MB/s and Mbit as 70 MB/s is way different than 70Mbit.

The 200 megabit garantee is internal LAN speeds on their 1 gig network only which doesn't apply to WAN speeds, if you had two servers on the same network then you would get a full gigabit, 200 mbit garanteed, but this doesn't apply to connections from the internet which is the speeds I posted in the OP. Thanks for the lesson on bits vs bytes but this is in no way the issue.

Anyone figure this out yet.

Edited by Hurtz72

Hurtz - have you tried the 1.10 performance binary that is currently being tested? We are with Hetzner as well and do not experience this although we are running 2008 R2.

Ya Savage I've used every perf binary that has been put out since christmas.

A few admins that are with Hezner already replied here and also others that have sent me a PM and they are reporting the same issue. I wonder if it's something in the BIOS. The server I have has a MSI board. Any hetzner leasers using an MSI Haswell Board?

<a  href=wBRoIvb.jpg' alt='wBRoIvb.jpg'>

Edited by Hurtz72

The 200 megabit garantee is internal LAN speeds on their 1 gig network only which doesn't apply to WAN speeds, if you had two servers on the same network then you would get a full gigabit, 200 mbit garanteed, but this doesn't apply to connections from the internet which is the speeds I posted in the OP. Thanks for the lesson on bits vs bytes but this is in no way the issue.

Anyone figure this out yet.

Not to keep picking at this but that's still not right. Use iPerf between your dedicated box and something that has a decent non-consumer grade connection (e.g. 100mbit+). Doing this I saw 500mbit both ways from different geographical locations e.g. not in the same data centre. Not trying to argue but I don't want people to read your posts and think it's gospel. I'd like to re-open a theory however.

I've tried an VPS on NFO and it's also capping at 48 fps and then dropping to 46fps regardless of load. I really think this might be related to something in Server 2012. Can anyone with the same OS provide anything to counter this?

Looks like you're entering desperation territory so just some ideas:

Havent touched this myself and don't know if it's involved: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server#Arma3.cfg

Also, maybe try temporarily uninstalling QoS Packet Scheduler and all those other optional items from your LAN connection (be careful doing this or you could lose remote access!).

Make sure Antivirus isnt interfering.

Check the SMART status of your hard drive (Hetzner have a tool for SMART tests) and run a performance test on it to check read/write speeds

Edited by jumbobreakfast

We're getting exactly the same issue here - server (when idle) remains at ~45 fps.

ddcca17e10e197cc97e134088441ab95.png

Running high performance settings:

5074d1f45d7b796f8d158b4415e89a05.png

Server is also rented from Hetzner. Specs here:

http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/ex40

Edit: Apparently this is a Windows Server 2012 thing and nothing really to worry about.

Edited by Goodson

Win-2012 server for some oddball reason will run an A3 server at around 45-48fps when idle.

This is a known issue and not something specific that you have done wrong.

This happens to me aswell on 2012 but also on Windows 8.

Have the same issue here.

Hetzner

Xeon e3-1245v2

16GB DDR3 EEC

1gbit flat.

Windows Server 2012 R2.

36c7d4001c.png

6116304f27.png

Edited by cookiezzz@project-irc.info

I thought this was a known issue with 2012 (never reaches 50fps)? Does NOT happen on 2008 R2 (ex40 with Hetzner).

Didn't realize it was the same with Arma 2....

Intentional necro, just fyi :)

I'm installing a new server for exclusive a3 use, and read this thread back when it was active. It has always been in the back of my mind somehow and ... well. Since I'm installing a new one I just wanted to check.

Is this still an "issue"? Was there ever an actual issue in a form that running a3dedi on 2012 generally got worse fps than running on 2008 or was it just an oddity when the a3-server was idling and had no job to do?

I've been googling a bit on it and this is the only thread I've found with some actual numbers ... so that's the reason for the necro :)

my test Linux server is running at 50 some times even goes to 52 fps lol