Sign in to follow this  
Rob

Ww2 major loses

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bogo @ Sep. 05 2002,18:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">European Military and Civilian Casualties

The important part is that Empty cells indicate information is unavailable, not that there were zero losses. Otherwise, you might conclude from this information that Italy did not fight in WWII, for example.<span id='postcolor'>

LOL

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bogo @ Sep. 05 2002,09:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"><Snip>

Wich source have u used?<span id='postcolor'>

The data came from "World War II: The Encyclopedia of Facts and Figures" by John Ellis.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Sep. 05 2002,19:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 04 2002,23:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">France lost a lot of civilians, but i guess some of them were part of resistance.<span id='postcolor'>

not every frenchman was a resistant , in fact , we can consider that actually less than 5% of the french population resisted (by resistaing , i mean fighting with a gun in your hands and participating to sabotage actions)

most of the losses were due to the german and then allied bombers

then come the german represails against the french population<span id='postcolor'>

I heard an interesting radio program that said 10% of French actively resisted and 10% collaborated.

In the north, not to complicate matters with Petain.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It seems funny how the Americans didn't loose 1! single soul out of WW2, and its strange how the US, Britain and France were the one to loose nothing compaired to the other countries.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yea loose nothing, tell that to My great gran who lost 7 brothers in WWII to the germans  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rhubarbman @ Sep. 05 2002,21:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It seems funny how the Americans didn't loose 1! single soul out of WW2, and its strange how the US, Britain and France were the one to loose nothing compaired to the other countries.

<span id='postcolor'>

Yea loose nothing, tell that to My great gran who lost 7 brothers in WWII to the germans  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

They weren't civillians though surely.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rhubarbman @ Sep. 05 2002,22:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">no, but he puts it as tho the lose of someoen from the UK during WWII was "nothing"<span id='postcolor'>

Don't be so toutchy I don't know anyone whose family has not lost people in the war. Mine certainly did on air, sea and land.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rhubarbman @ Sep. 05 2002,23:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">no, but he puts it as tho the lose of someoen from the UK during WWII was "nothing"<span id='postcolor'>

I think the point he whant's to make is that we europeans payd a much greater then the american's. Take the russian's over 10 million civilians people where killed. confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 04 2002,23:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">cause the war never reached US soil. except for pearl habor. but then pealr harbor was a military installation.

soviets lost a lot since they were relying heavy on human numbers, Germany was the perpetraitor who fought in all fronts.

France lost a lot of civilians, but i guess some of them were part of resistance.

but llok at china.civilian death is 3 times that of soldiers. wow.gif<span id='postcolor'>

an untrue statement smile.gif

What this so called SMART FIGURES never include are the after-war deaths and you would be surprised how many there were. Germany & Russia had terrible years of starvation. The tscheck republic and russia both prosecuted communities that had german roots.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Albert Schweizer @ Sep. 06 2002,00:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What this so called SMART FIGURES never include are the after-war deaths and you would be surprised how many there were. Germany & Russia had terrible years of starvation.<span id='postcolor'>

Right, but those numbers are hard to estimate - most of these people didn't starve to death, but they died of illness that they possibly would have survived if they had had a better nutrition, better housing or sufficient medical care. Hard to guess who would have died anyways and who died because of the post war situation, especially considering children and old people...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ Sep. 05 2002,21:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ran @ Sep. 05 2002,19:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RalphWiggum @ Sep. 04 2002,23:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">France lost a lot of civilians, but i guess some of them were part of resistance.<span id='postcolor'>

not every frenchman was a resistant , in fact , we can consider that actually less than 5% of the french population resisted (by resistaing , i mean fighting with a gun in your hands and participating to sabotage actions)

most of the losses were due to the german and then allied bombers

then come the german represails against the french population<span id='postcolor'>

I heard an interesting radio program that said 10% of French actively resisted and 10% collaborated.

In the north, not to complicate matters with Petain.<span id='postcolor'>

really hard to estimate , the resistance wasn't an organised militia , simply different "cells" with varied effectives , motives , missions and equipement , the cells were grouped under the command of a departemental and regionnal commandements , each of theses structures were under the control of the CNR (conseil national de la resistance) wich depended of degaulles himself (i've simplified my explanation a lot , but still ... it gives you an idea)

the resistance was composed of almost every politic preferences , from communists to gaullists , religions , christians , jews , protestant , every origins : workers , high ranked administration members , old noble familly members , more or less rich people , from every ages ...

the strength of the resistance was the fact that if someone was captured and/or killed , he was immediatly replaced

the number of 5%/10% is only for the "active" resistance , responible of the serious actions such as sabotages , assasinations etcc .....

loads more of french did the "passive" resistance , litenning to the BBC programs , celebrating things such as the 11 november armistice by putting flowers on the monuments while it was prohibited , same goes for the 14 of jully , slowing down i_f not stopping the military industry which was under the control of the germans and wich served the german war effort

the collaboration ...... depends what you mean by collaboration .... (for a girl) the fact of meeting frequently a german officer ? practisng black market ?

sure that a lot of people did collaborate effectively with the germans , it's a shame for the french nation .......

some firefights have even been seen between two resistance factions just to get their hands on weapon container sent on the french soil by the allies , one great exemple of this confrontation between different faction is the paris liberation , you HAVE to read "is Paris burning ?" it's a fantastic book , shows you the last hours of the "Gross Paris" festung and how the "ville lumiÄre" avoided the varsovie's fate