Feint

RQ-11B RAVEN for Arma 3 - RELEASED!

Looks cool.

Gonna have to give this a go.

Pretty good so far. little bugs here and there but overall usable. Have you tested it out much in MP? Are the markers JIP compatible?

Edited by mycatsaid

Well at the risk of lookin' stupid, I have to report I can't get it working.

I've installed @RQ-11_RAVEN_AB_A3 into the root Arma 3 directory, and RQ11RAVEN into the userconfig directory, but neither adding the backpack via the init, adding the backpack in the editor, nor adding the blanket gives me access to a workable Raven.

I do have CBA installed. I have noo other mods running.

I've installed @RQ-11_RAVEN_AB_A3 into the root Arma 3 directory, and RQ11RAVEN into the userconfig directory, but neither adding the backpack via the init, adding the backpack in the editor, nor adding the blanket gives me access to a workable Raven.

Try adding the backpack through the editor unit menu not through the init. Run over to the backpack and pick it up, then drop it back onto the floor (I don't get the option unless I do that bug maybe?). Scroll your action menu and select disassemble. Next pickup the Raven and click Launch. Once its in the air you should be able to control it through the GCS on the ground (I don't seem to be able to add it to my belt as I have no icon for the GCS).

I made a video test flight I'll post it here in a bit.

Edited by mycatsaid

That's frustrating. When you add the backpack in the editor and start the mission, what happens after that exactly?

That's frustrating. When you add the backpack in the editor and start the mission, what happens after that exactly?

After I walk up to the backpack I am given the options to pick up or open the backpack. Opening the pack reveals an empty pack; picking up the pack puts just an empty pack on my back.

You don't get the option to build the Raven?

Hmm, did you activate the addon in your main menu under Configure > Expansions?

One thing you can try is right clicking on the backpack, as in right click and hold on the backpack. This will "reveal" information about the backpack to you, but you shouldn't have to do that. Hmm. That's a strange bug. Not sure how to fix that.

By the way, the pack is supposed to be "empty" just as the static weapons and UAV backpacks turn into their respective objects.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

Try adding the backpack through the editor unit menu not through the init. Run over to the backpack and pick it up, then drop it back onto the floor (I don't get the option unless I do that bug maybe?). Scroll your action menu and select disassemble. Next pickup the Raven and click Launch. Once its in the air you should be able to control it through the GCS on the ground (I don't seem to be able to add it to my belt as I have no icon for the GCS).

I made a video test flight I'll post it here in a bit.

When you click on Pick up GCS, you should have an addAction added to your pull down menu to drop it. Does that not happen for you?

Edited by Feint

You don't get the option to build the Raven?

Hmm, did you activate the addon in your main menu under Configure > Expansions?

One thing you can try is right clicking on the backpack, as in right click and hold on the backpack. This will "reveal" information about the backpack to you, but you shouldn't have to do that. Hmm. That's a strange bug. Not sure how to fix that.

By the way, the pack is supposed to be "empty" just as the static weapons and UAV backpacks turn into their respective objects.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:38 ----------

When you click on Pick up GCS, you should have an addAction added to your pull down menu to drop it. Does that not happen for you?

Yeah I can do that but in the instructions it says you can "add it to your belt" I thought that meant you can drag it from the ground into your inventory slot for the UAV terminal/GPS. I know what you meant by pickup/drop I do get that option as well. I was just expecting to work the menu while I had the GCS picked up the first time I used it, was a little confusing I guess. Within a few minutes I'd figured it out so I'm sure people will understand it soon.

Yeah I can do that but in the instructions it says you can "add it to your belt" I thought that meant you can drag it from the ground into your inventory slot for the UAV terminal/GPS. I know what you meant by pickup/drop I do get that option as well. I was just expecting to work the menu while I had the GCS picked up the first time I used it, was a little confusing I guess. Within a few minutes I'd figured it out so I'm sure people will understand it soon.

OK, thanks for the feedback. I've edited the instructions to be more clear.

Edited by Feint

Thanks for this long awaiting mod: we use it in ArmA2 with ACE and it was brilliant! And so it is in ArmA3 :yay: Thanks so much for your incredible work!

One issue: When I add the backpack (classname) in editor to a crate, get it out of the crate to my inventar and then to the ground - I can´t get no options for the Raven!

When I add only the backpack in editor (from backpack menu) on the ground and test mission, I have all options for the Raven and it works very well!

Do you understand my problem?

Man glad to see you finally got this released. Thanks your hard work looks great :)

i found a few issues in mp

Duplication of a single backpack:

if there is more then 2 players on a dedicated server and you go to assemble the drone the action some times looks as if it has not worked so you do the action again and a again untill it assembles. For me I do not see the drone assemble each time but other players see a duplicated drone fully built on the deck and can disassemble it and recreated a new backpack duplicating the drone fully and then drop it on the floor and any one can pick it up

Messed up launch:

This has happened twice now i assemble the drone pick it up and launch the drone drops to the deck and the sound continues to play but there is no way to control the drone or remove it other then

(nearestobjects[(getpos player),[],10])

GCS Flying:

Some times when you drop the GCS it will float up in the air for about 10secs then like magic be on the deck where its ment to be

I think you should be put it into a UAV

Now that there are many issues such as: Exit button and the camera button to throw grenades conflict must rely on carrier

When I add the backpack (classname) in editor to a crate, get it out of the crate to my inventar and then to the ground - I can´t get no options for the Raven!

When I add only the backpack in editor (from backpack menu) on the ground and test mission, I have all options for the Raven and it works very well!

Does the addAction appear after a few seconds? In my testing, I found that sometimes the addAction would not appear, and then after a few seconds it would. Not sure why this happens. Working with backpacks and any other thing on the ground in Arma 3 is a pain in the ass and I'm not sure what I can do to fix this.

i found a few issues in mp

Duplication of a single backpack:

if there is more then 2 players on a dedicated server and you go to assemble the drone the action some times looks as if it has not worked so you do the action again and a again untill it assembles. For me I do not see the drone assemble each time but other players see a duplicated drone fully built on the deck and can disassemble it and recreated a new backpack duplicating the drone fully and then drop it on the floor and any one can pick it up

Messed up launch:

This has happened twice now i assemble the drone pick it up and launch the drone drops to the deck and the sound continues to play but there is no way to control the drone or remove it other then

(nearestobjects[(getpos player),[],10])

GCS Flying:

Some times when you drop the GCS it will float up in the air for about 10secs then like magic be on the deck where its ment to be

I'm sorry, those issues sound very frustrating. One of those issues is an Arma3 bug (objects not appearing and moving to their correct position using createVehicle and then setPos). But I'm not sure about the other issues. It sounds like your computer isn't communicating well with the server or something. I am obviously not very good at multiplayer coding. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to fix this, I would appreciate any direction you can offer.

I think you should be put it into a UAV

Now that there are many issues such as: Exit button and the camera button to throw grenades conflict must rely on carrier

If you have a problem with the default key mapping, you can change the exit key to a different key to work around throwing a grenade with the G key. Not sure why some keys get locked out when in camera view (almost all of them) and why some don't (G and N). I've personally changed my inventory key to G and my "launch grenade" key to I. That solved the issue of me hitting G to exit the camera view.

I add the backpack through VAS and all work fine to me,no bugs so far.

But I wanna ask can you add the GCS as a item that can add to our inventory like a normal UAV Terminal?It's not Convenient to drop the GCS and use it and I can't share the UAV to other.I've test with my mates for a while,only the man launched the RQ-11 can control it by using the GCS,others can't,I think if one can just launch it and let another guy to control it well be better,just like the seals did in the movie Act of Valor .

Really nice addons ! but i have some remark and some question :

1- On my server only the UAV operator can see the laser (the tactical one) is it normal ?

2- Can you make a version wich doesn't use the backpack slot a sort of small suitcase which you can put into a backpack ? so you can put some stuff on it and it doesn't restrict the backpack slot

3- Do you plan to add a sort of broadcast code wich you can enter in your GCS to have the controll of it ? (or make a different screen to let the other guy see what you see)

It's awesome Feint!!

Tested it with a friend, he sent the Raven up with tactical laser but only he could see the green laser.

Great bit of kit mate, thank you. However ive got 3 issues.

1) when I add the code to either my init or an ai, we dont have the back pack on our backs. Its just not there.

2) when I add it to a vehicle in the editor, I don't see it.

3) I can't put it into a vehicle in game, but I can get my ai to out it in

I can only use it If I place it on the ground from within the editor.

Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

I add the backpack through VAS and all work fine to me,no bugs so far.

But I wanna ask can you add the GCS as a item that can add to our inventory like a normal UAV Terminal?It's not Convenient to drop the GCS and use it and I can't share the UAV to other.I've test with my mates for a while,only the man launched the RQ-11 can control it by using the GCS,others can't,I think if one can just launch it and let another guy to control it well be better,just like the seals did in the movie Act of Valor .

My original plan was to be able to hand off the raven controls from one player to another. That's why if you ever played with the Arma2 version, I changed the way the control interface worked. In Arma2, it was locked to the person that launched the Raven. But I did a lot of work for the Arma3 version to make is to that the controls could be accessed by another player. But if that's not working, that stinks. I'm going to see if there's someone I can work with on getting the controls to work between different players. For now, looks like you might just have to control it one person at a time.

The idea behind the codes is to allow one GCS to control multiple Ravens. Not sure how to implement that idea, and it was taking me so long to figure it out that I decided to just release the Raven so people could at least use it in its current form before I implemented that feature. I'm a big fan of that movie too. :)

Really nice addons ! but i have some remark and some question :

1- On my server only the UAV operator can see the laser (the tactical one) is it normal ?

2- Can you make a version wich doesn't use the backpack slot a sort of small suitcase which you can put into a backpack ? so you can put some stuff on it and it doesn't restrict the backpack slot

3- Do you plan to add a sort of broadcast code wich you can enter in your GCS to have the controll of it ? (or make a different screen to let the other guy see what you see)

Too bad to hear the laser is only visible locally. Not sure if this is able to be fixed but I'll see what I can figure out once I get some multiplayer help.

For now, I'm sticking with the backpack. The issue is that if I allow the backpack to store items, then those items disappear once the backpack is destroyed in the process of making the Raven. I could read the contents of that backpack and have those items fall on the ground or something, but it's a whole can of worms that I don't want to open. That's why it's just simply easier for me to have the backpack not able to store items.

As for your idea of making the Raven and GCS collapse down to a briefcase, I'm a little against that idea because the real world Raven is stored in two large cases that can't even fit into a backpack. The backpack is kind of a gameplay compromise to keep it more fun than dragging around two cases by car.

It's awesome Feint!!

Tested it with a friend, he sent the Raven up with tactical laser but only he could see the green laser.

Yeah, sorry about the laser. I wish there was an easier way to make that laser work the same way as the lasers on the guns. But I'd have to completely change the way the addon works and it would end up sucking. I almost dropped the idea of the tactical laser entirely because it was causing me so many issues. But I decided to leave it in for singleplayer because it's fun. I'll look into seeing if I can fix it for multiplayer, but it doesn't look good.

Great bit of kit mate, thank you. However ive got 3 issues.

1) when I add the code to either my init or an ai, we dont have the back pack on our backs. Its just not there.

2) when I add it to a vehicle in the editor, I don't see it.

3) I can't put it into a vehicle in game, but I can get my ai to out it in

I can only use it If I place it on the ground from within the editor.

Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Are you putting quotes around the backpack classname? If you do that, you won't get an error and the backpack won't show up. So to add the backpack to your unit in the editor, the correct code should be:

this addBackpack B_MAV_B_BACKPACK;

The backpack is just a regular old backpack. Nothing special about it. So if you are having problems with the backpack like putting it into a vehicle, I suspect you would be having those problems with any standard backpack in the game. I don't see how my packpack is any different. But maybe I'm wrong about this. But I'll do a test on this and see if I can duplicate the problems you described here.

I'm having the same issue as Pipyn1970, correct mod folder is added; the backpack doesn't appear with

and when I put a VAS ammo box the backpack appears, but there is nothing inside or no usage from it.

--Update--

this addBackpack "B_MAV_B_BACKPACK";

The above does indeed work, quoting added the backpack for me; dropping left me assemble and I'm not flying around Zargabad looking in peoples windows :p

Edited by ColinM9991

My original plan was to be able to hand off the raven controls from one player to another. That's why if you ever played with the Arma2 version, I changed the way the control interface worked. In Arma2, it was locked to the person that launched the Raven. But I did a lot of work for the Arma3 version to make is to that the controls could be accessed by another player. But if that's not working, that stinks. I'm going to see if there's someone I can work with on getting the controls to work between different players. For now, looks like you might just have to control it one person at a time.

The idea behind the codes is to allow one GCS to control multiple Ravens. Not sure how to implement that idea, and it was taking me so long to figure it out that I decided to just release the Raven so people could at least use it in its current form before I implemented that feature. I'm a big fan of that movie too. :)

Too bad to hear the laser is only visible locally. Not sure if this is able to be fixed but I'll see what I can figure out once I get some multiplayer help.

For now, I'm sticking with the backpack. The issue is that if I allow the backpack to store items, then those items disappear once the backpack is destroyed in the process of making the Raven. I could read the contents of that backpack and have those items fall on the ground or something, but it's a whole can of worms that I don't want to open. That's why it's just simply easier for me to have the backpack not able to store items.

As for your idea of making the Raven and GCS collapse down to a briefcase, I'm a little against that idea because the real world Raven is stored in two large cases that can't even fit into a backpack. The backpack is kind of a gameplay compromise to keep it more fun than dragging around two cases by car.

Yeah, sorry about the laser. I wish there was an easier way to make that laser work the same way as the lasers on the guns. But I'd have to completely change the way the addon works and it would end up sucking. I almost dropped the idea of the tactical laser entirely because it was causing me so many issues. But I decided to leave it in for singleplayer because it's fun. I'll look into seeing if I can fix it for multiplayer, but it doesn't look good.

Are you putting quotes around the backpack classname? If you do that, you won't get an error and the backpack won't show up. So to add the backpack to your unit in the editor, the correct code should be:

The backpack is just a regular old backpack. Nothing special about it. So if you are having problems with the backpack like putting it into a vehicle, I suspect you would be having those problems with any standard backpack in the game. I don't see how my packpack is any different. But maybe I'm wrong about this. But I'll do a test on this and see if I can duplicate the problems you described here.

That would be fine if you fianlly made it,good luck.

And I think if you can make the RQ-11 controlled by the normal UAV Terminal in ARMA3 will be fine and maybe that's also a easier solution

Good news! I was able to fix the addAction not appearing if you added the backpack to a vehicle via init. This might solve the problem of the addAction not showing up in other situations as well. :)

DOWNLOAD 2.1 HERE:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/auxyx45dgegfg8k/RQ-11_RAVEN_ARMA3_VERSION_2.1.7z

Good to hear that,but I have to tell you I have test in a recon mission with 4 mates in my squard(all human players)yesterday,and I was the guy with RQ-11,and I dont have any addAction problem you talked above.I was using VAS 2.2 to add the backpack to me and it all worked fine with no bugs,maybe using VAS will be the best solution I think.And I wanna tell you during the mission I get in a KA-60 for transport and the RQ-11 worked with the vehicles fine,I can get in it with the RQ-11 attaching to my waist and when I got out the RQ-11 still on my waist,and no bugs after I did that.That's really nice I think

---------- Post added at 09:06 ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 ----------

But after that test mission I also find some shortcomings,I think maybe a Direction control functions in the Camera Feed mode will be fine,now when I wanna change a position while I was in Camera Feed mode I have to first exit the Camera Feed mode and then use the Next Target to change the position of RQ-11.That's not convenient.So if we can make the RQ-11 move in Camera Feed mode will be very nice.

And the video in the Camera Feed mode is not very clear and makes us hard to see the enemies and small objects,so I think maybe add some lock icons to mark the enemies in the Camera Feed mode would be fine,just like the RQ-11 can lock enemies in its Camera Feed mode in the movie Act of Valor,that should be coolï¼:yay: