fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

Beware the launcher ;)

As long as bCombat is installed, before hitting play doublecheck it's selected in the "MODS" list within the launcher.

Otherwise looks like it won't be loaded, even if it's correctly installed.

Fab no need,i dont have it enabled in the launcher,it still runs fine with steam param.I really dont like that launcher....i missed half a day of bcombat before i figured fix out :D

think I got it running - using just the parameter (no use of the launcher) - its now appearing in the mod section in game as loaded however:

1)When I start a mission its not showing up as having loaded at the bottom right or top left of the screen - I seemed to remember in the older version it did appear long with some of the other mods that were starting up?...so is it really running?

2)Note I just left the .sqf files in the @bcombat folder - so I have no userconfig file for bcombat......

Update - also tried running with both the command line and activated in launcher - but got my original .sqf file error - so really have no idea if bcombat is running

because of the lack of message ingame that the mod is running (note in both cases its appearing in the options menu as a enable mod)confused!

Edited by mac1

redarmy thanks for all your replies.......have to say I am still unsure how to get this working - have followed all the advise in the readme

and there is also lots of advise on this page......

https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat

but still I am struggling to know whether this is running correctly observations so far

1)Firstly tried with the launch options -mod=@bcombat - the mod is appearing in the loaded mods section in game but not convinced its running - I)I get no message in mission to say its loaded ii)the AI seems really stupid and not what I expect from bcombat

2)Then tried to launch it through the new mod front screen with all my other mods i)in game the AI is exactly what I would expect improved dramatically and very good! however ii)I get two persistant error messages "script @bcombat\bcombat.sqf not found" and "FSM @bcombat\FSM\danger.fsm cannot be loaded" - but definitely some part of bcombat is working because the AI is amazing even with the error messages......

3)Confused by the lack of userconfig file! have tried both of redarmy advices i)left the config.sqf underneath the addons folder where it unpacks and also tried moving it to the usual userconfig\bcombat folder with all the other userconfig files for other mods - still not clear where it needs to go if anywhere - note I am not trying to tweak any of the vanilla settings - also note there appear many .sqf files in a lib folder for things like suppression ect they are appearing under my addons folder.

4)Strangely in the in game expansions menu when I run bcombat through the command line it says @bcombat is running when I also enable it through mods splash screen I get two entries in the in game expansions menu i) "@bcombat" is running one and also ii) "bcombat AI mod v0.18BETA is running ?!?

5)Is there any other way I can actually tell that my bcombat is running - this might clear up some of the confusion

Hope someone can help because this confusion is ruining what seems to be an amazing mod for me!

UPDATE: finally got this working by getting the mod from the steam workshop (and it finally shows active when I start a missions) - I don't think the standalone version of this mod seems to work properly with the current build of ARMA3 - at least I couldn't get it to work........

Edited by mac1

I fixed that script error message by changing the folder name to just @bcombat and no 0.18 or whatever behind it, changed it in parameters too and then it worked fine.

I have a problem with the ai accuracy tho, I'm getting sniped by assault rifles from over 200 meters, 1 shot kill and they're not even crouching. How do I turn that down ? I have opened the config file, but it's such a mess, I can't find anything resembling accuracy.

@kendo

actually I did the same I have my folder as @bcombat and by parameter I assume you mean in "set launch options"? as bcombat also - but I am not convinced its working properly - I say this because on my steam version at the start of each mission I get a bcombat running message - with the manual install I never got this message just an assortment of different error messages depending on how I tried to run the mod - out of interest is your @bcombat folder directly in the arma3 folder or does it sit within another "bcombat" folder with no @ at the front? - just noticed my steam install seems to have the @bcombat folder directly in the AMRA3 folder...?

agree the config folder (.sqf) is a bit of a mess - but if you paste it into a word processor seems to display ok - the strange thing is its not in the userconfig folder with all the other userconfig files for other mods - but I think If you want to run non strandard settings you need to paste it from underneath the addons folder into the userconfig folder - I think but the install instructions are not clear.......

my steam install seems to have the @bcombat folder directly in the AMRA3 folder...?

Yep, that's how it should be

@kendo I might give it a try then perhaps that was causing my issue originally - but all my other mods are in a standard folder such as "bcombat" then within that folder are my "@bcombat"

folders - however just noticed steam seems to install the mod folder @"@bcombat" right into the AMRA3 folder.......

out of interest are you "activating" the mod using both the command line and new mod manager together (so you are switching it on twice?) and do you see a bcombat active message at the top right of the game screen every time you start a mission?

I'm not doing anything except having the folder in the right place, but it was originally named @bcombat-0.18 or something and I think the numbers caused the script error on my end. Yes, I get the bcombat is active message

You addon need @bcombat name folder for work. This is very rare, normally, the addons not need special name for work, this is the first addon i see need a special name. In my community, all addons have the prefix @CC_ for maintain and nonconflict reasons, but if a use @CC_bcombat, this give me the not found bcombat.sqf error.

Have another way to use custom name for the main bcombat folder? Thanks.

It also MUST be in the root of the Arma Folder i.e. adjacent to the Arma.exe to work.

SJ

It also MUST be in the root of the Arma Folder i.e. adjacent to the Arma.exe to work.

SJ

Please read again my post :p

I have the mod in the arma 3 root folder, this is not the problem, the problem is the name of the addon folder.

Sorry mate.. not trying to be difficult just pointing out the fact... If it doesn't help you, I'm sorry

You addon need @bcombat name folder for work. This is very rare, normally, the addons not need special name for work, this is the first addon i see need a special name. In my community, all addons have the prefix @CC_ for maintain and nonconflict reasons, but if a use @CC_bcombat, this give me the not found bcombat.sqf error.

Have another way to use custom name for the main bcombat folder? Thanks.

ok so to explain why this is happening.... its actually pretty simple...

@bCombat is in a very BETA state.... its incomplete! from the very beginning it was never completely compiled... since there are several files that are needed to operate this mod, it stands to reason that those files will need to be located in an orderly fashion. To do this you use a file path..... IE c:/ programfiles/ steam / steamapps/ common/ arma / @bCombat/ "file name here"

its that simple.. when you rename the folder the file path that has ben designated to locate that file, no longer exists... because you changed the folder name to @CC_bcombat... It is looking for a file contained with in a folder named @bCombat...

Thats why it will not work.. because its not a completely complied mod...

And furthermore.. considering that most mods are on PLaywithSix renaming their original folders would make it "MORE DIFFICULT" to maintain.. And on top of that how do you brows threw your mod list and locate a mod easily when their ALL NAMED with the SAME prefix.... it seems a bit asinine... but thats just me. I havn't been around the forums as long as you, however, i am pretty well adept at keeping my servers mods up to date, and find that keeping the original mods folder name is EASIEST.. as when you go to get the update you have the original file name there.. and its no a matter of searching for the renamed folder that contains what you need... you look for the exact same folder... my 2 cents on that... but i digress..

that is why you cannot rename @bCombat... So dont... And it will work just fine!!!!!!

a famous saying is needed here

if its not broke dont fix it...if the mod folder isnt broke... DONT RENAME IT!!

Edited by Lordprimate

Hello, first sorry for my english because I'm French. ^^

I post here because when I launch the mods it always says that "bcombat.sqf" si missing and in game it says that "danger.fdm" can't be loaded.

But the mod still works perfectly, is that normal ??

Sincerely,

Hello, first sorry for my english because I'm French. ^^

I post here because when I launch the mods it always says that "bcombat.sqf" si missing and in game it says that "danger.fdm" can't be loaded.

But the mod still works perfectly, is that normal ??

Sincerely,

Hi,

A "bcombat.sqf" not found error and / or a "danger.fsm" error definiteley witness some installation path issues.

This means mod is actually just PARTLY working.

Once again, please stick to installation instructions, as shown here:

https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat

1. Extract the bCombat zip package anywhere.

2. You have to rename the branch folder ("bCombat-master" or "bCombat-vX.XX") to "@bcombat"

3. Move "@bcombat" folder from extraction location to your ArmA 3 main folder ( usually: \steamapps\common\Arma 3\ )

4. Launch ArmA 3 and activate bCombat from "Configure / Expansions" menu.

Some more notes about latest step (4):

Some people may prefer hardcoding mod activation into ArmA3 main EXE shortcut, you may do so alternatively.

Recently we were forced to start ArmA3 via the official launcher: be sure bCombat is shown and active within the launcher.

Otherwise, if you've manually installed bCombat, you can add/activate it manually in the launcher ( it has an option for installing a mod from the file system ).

Edited by fabrizio_T

Thank you very much for the help ! :D

Now I can fully enjoy this awesome mod ! :)

Hey, that mod looks good!

But I have some questions:

1. Does it work when I am going like: Play>Multiplayer>New>Lan>Choosing map and mission>Playing with myself (Sounds bad XD) with a zeus and spawning AI's with zeus?

2. How do I know that the Bcombat is activated and working and actually doing his work?

Btw I am Using PWS..

Edited by HydroBull3T

Yes, as long as the mod is running on the Client that is spawning the units, i.e. a local Zeus Client or a Server then the Ai will spawn with bCombat engaged

SJ

Yes, as long as the mod is running on the Client that is spawning the units, i.e. a local Zeus Client or a Server then the Ai will spawn with bCombat engaged

SJ

Thanks very much sir!.

Hello, sorry for my english because I'm French. ^^

I just post here because I wold like to know if we could play ZEUS with this mod.

Any parameters to change ?

SIncerely,

Jack,

---------- Post added at 19:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:01 ----------

Ohh and I forgot ! ^^

Please how do you make that the AI skill level is random in ZEUS like in Vanilla ??

Hey - I guess I'm really late to the party. First of all thank you for this mod, it's like a brain upgrade for the AI!

My group just ran a small (4 vs 16 enemies) test run of bcombat 0.18 (running on dedicated).

Scenario:

We invaded Charkia from the south with AR team up on the SE hill fo the Mine and TL/Grenadier advancing directly from S. Enemy teams were split up in 4 man fireteams (no grenadiers) dispersed throughout Charkia. Test went for about 4 hours.

Positive things we noted:

- AI "hunting" you down when you are pulling back or going into hard cover is really eerie, never before have we been pinned down that good, even in a CQB-ish environment.

- Smoke grenade throwing surprised all of us and forced us to do a tactical retreat because we lost sight of our prior contacts. Great!

- "Investigative" behaviour was really something we hadn't thought of. Some AI was actually flanking us trying to check out the vehicle we had abandoned. When we returned to the vehicle to regroup we got wasted

- Worked fine on dedicated, barely any performance hit (2-3 fps).

Negative things / Constructive feedback:

- Open field combat. Once the AI charged us into open terrain, they seemed a bit clueless, sometimes even wandering in "careless" mode while flanking, made them very easy to take down

- Retreat mode - as soon as we had outrun the enemy AI (about 800ms or so), they all turned around and moved to their prior positions, it would be cool if a buddy team remained to act as spotters at position of last place of engagement.

Questions gathered:

- How does server difficulty profile / skill setting influence bcombat? The impression was that they were a "tad" more accurate than usually and engaged at longer ranges.

- Does AI decide that they have the winning hand and "rush"? We had the impression that although we at first overwhelmed them with firepower (AR team suppressing & 40mm grenades), eventually they decided that they had the numbers going for them and advanced aggressively (was totally ok, we just weren't sure if that was bcombat or vanilla behaviour).

- Is bcombat inclusive to units on static weapons? We had the impression that one guard on a .50 cal was playing in god mode (do they use thermal?).

- Is bcombat inclusive to units on static weapons? We had the impression that one guard on a .50 cal was playing in god mode (do they use thermal?).

Yeah actually I'm wondering about that line of questioning too. I made a mission where a lone sniper hides in the Bystrica forest and fires on enemy forces in a town from a distance. The idea of the mission was to keep moving through the woods, inflicting damage, then moving off through the cover again, taking advantage of a scope and range... but when I tried to hit a checkpoint, the guy on the 50cal (RHS) picked me off quicker than I could even get my aim straight on him. I'd fire, miss (because of the range), then get chopped in half my a hail of 50cal. And that's prone on the ground, as close to the corner of a tree as possible to aim without the gun barrel being obstructed! I mean IRL, I don't even know if someone without a scope could even spot a target like that- let alone drill it with only 3 rounds fired. I haven't even revised that mission yet, because the laser aim really defeated the whole concept behind being a lone gunmen against a town full of defenders. I think at the time I figured everyone was laser aiming equally (so didn't bother just taking the HMG out), but now Lukio mentions it, it really was only the 50cal hitting me every time.

ok so to explain why this is happening.... its actually pretty simple...

@bCombat is in a very BETA state.... its incomplete! from the very beginning it was never completely compiled... since there are several files that are needed to operate this mod, it stands to reason that those files will need to be located in an orderly fashion. To do this you use a file path..... IE c:/ programfiles/ steam / steamapps/ common/ arma / @bCombat/ "file name here"

its that simple.. when you rename the folder the file path that has ben designated to locate that file, no longer exists... because you changed the folder name to @CC_bcombat... It is looking for a file contained with in a folder named @bCombat...

Thats why it will not work.. because its not a completely complied mod...

And furthermore.. considering that most mods are on PLaywithSix renaming their original folders would make it "MORE DIFFICULT" to maintain.. And on top of that how do you brows threw your mod list and locate a mod easily when their ALL NAMED with the SAME prefix.... it seems a bit asinine... but thats just me. I havn't been around the forums as long as you, however, i am pretty well adept at keeping my servers mods up to date, and find that keeping the original mods folder name is EASIEST.. as when you go to get the update you have the original file name there.. and its no a matter of searching for the renamed folder that contains what you need... you look for the exact same folder... my 2 cents on that... but i digress..

that is why you cannot rename @bCombat... So dont... And it will work just fine!!!!!!

a famous saying is needed here

if its not broke dont fix it...if the mod folder isnt broke... DONT RENAME IT!!

I modified files and i replaced all \@bcombat\ entries with \@cc_bcombat\ and now works.

hello.

About 6 months ago I tried installing bcombat on a dedicated server and the whole thing did not work. Have there been any changes? Can I somehow get bcombat to work on dedi now? Also, how?

And if there is a way, there surely must be a way to verify that the mod is running correctly, yes?

thanks!

hello.

About 6 months ago I tried installing bcombat on a dedicated server and the whole thing did not work. Have there been any changes? Can I somehow get bcombat to work on dedi now? Also, how?

And if there is a way, there surely must be a way to verify that the mod is running correctly, yes?

thanks!

To verify if it is installed correctly - in the server startup you should see an entry like

11:19:54 bCombat AI mod v0.18 BETA | @bcombat | false | GAME DIR | 87ec114ddd9373f3f419aa805c11c91e3051bd3 d | 7dad1112 | /home/arma3/private/mods/@bcombat

To verify that it is actually running, you probably can turn

bcombat_dev_mode = false; to = true;

then the little spheres above the AI heads should be visible (Just guessing). Even without that running, it is pretty visible when AI starts throwing smoke/frag grenades or clear buildings where they suspect an enemy.