fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

Hi Fabrizio_T

Here's a strange bug for you that is definitely related to bCombat in some way.

If I load CBA, bCombat and certain 3rd party maps such as Kunduz, I see the following error popping up on the main screen and periodically throughout a play session:

if ((_priors select _cause)>_priorCur) then
{
_dangerCause = _cause;>
22:53:43   Error position: <_priorCur) then
{
_dangerCause = _cause;>
22:53:43   Error Undefined variable in expression: _priorcur

If I disable bCombat then the error goes away. The thing is, I searched through the various bCombat files and can't find any evidence of _priorcur

I wonder if you might have an idea what is going on?

_priorcur, _priors, and cause will be in the danger fsm

I expect Fab is still developing this mod but may be taking a step back in order to see what impact the marksman update has.

This.

Fab quick thing. Not sure if you've thought about it or not, just wondered if it's worth having units that are in "AWARE" mode and are stationary for over ~20 seconds taking a knee. Just a thought.

interesting suggestion, i considered adding this to COMBAT behaviour (to reduce units visibility / vulnerability without unneeded micro-management) some time ago.

It's feasible, not sure if everybody would like that though. Optional feature?

---------- Post added at 09:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 ----------

I would like to read Fabrizio's input on this.

I installed the Marksmen DLC RC update, and completely disabled bCombat since we can't turn off bCombat suppression (unless I missed something).

Easy. Set:

bcombat_penalty_bullet = 0; 

and (eventually)

bcombat_penalty_explosion = 0

(I'm not sure whether nearby explosions are causing any suppressive effect in vanilla, though)

This way you basically exclude the penalties applied by bCombat just for incoming bullets (and explosions), so they don't add up to vanilla suppression.

At the same time you still retain many other suppression / morale hits which vanilla still does not handle.

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

Hi Fabrizio_T

Here's a strange bug for you that is definitely related to bCombat in some way.

If I load CBA, bCombat and certain 3rd party maps such as Kunduz, I see the following error popping up on the main screen and periodically throughout a play session:

if ((_priors select _cause)>_priorCur) then
{
_dangerCause = _cause;>
22:53:43   Error position: <_priorCur) then
{
_dangerCause = _cause;>
22:53:43   Error Undefined variable in expression: _priorcur

If I disable bCombat then the error goes away. The thing is, I searched through the various bCombat files and can't find any evidence of _priorcur

I wonder if you might have an idea what is going on?

Definetely related to danger.fsm.

It may be caused by having set bcombat_ballistics_native_handler = true for an ArmA3 build not supporting it ( < ArmA 3 BETA build 1.39.129316 ). is that the case?

Alternatively, if you're running a very recent build, it's possibile BIS changed danger.fsm input.

Anybody having the exact same issue? Let me know.

Edited by fabrizio_T

interesting suggestion, i considered adding this to COMBAT behaviour (to reduce units visibility / vulnerability without unneeded micro-management) some time ago.

It's feasible, not sure if everybody would like that though. Optional feature?

Maybe a nice mix of standing / kneeling soilders for AWARE, or letting them change their stance from time to time? And all kneeing for COMBAT behavior?

Definetely related to danger.fsm.

It may be caused by having set bcombat_ballistics_native_handler = true for an ArmA3 build not supporting it ( < ArmA 3 BETA build 1.39.129316 ). is that the case?

Alternatively, if you're running a very recent build, it's possibile BIS changed danger.fsm input.

Anybody having the exact same issue? Let me know.

I've only started seeing it in the last week or so with dev builds, and yes I'm using the native suppression.

By the way, i've just run a quick test with latest DEV version of ArmA3.

I noticed that game is now automatically started via the launcher.

For some reaon this caused my installed version of bCombat to be wiped (as for other mods configured via the EXPANSIONS menu, not via launcher or Steam subscription).

I had to manually restore files into @bcombat folder and to manually install via the launcher (from local folder)

So beware.

Edited by fabrizio_T
typos!

Fab quick thing. Not sure if you've thought about it or not, just wondered if it's worth having units that are in "AWARE" mode and are stationary for over ~20 seconds taking a knee. Just a thought.

Maybe just for grouped units because mission makers tend to place single units in guard posts, and if they'll kneel their LOS will be blocked.

I've only started seeing it in the last week or so with dev builds, and yes I'm using the native suppression.

Tested with bCombat / native bullet detection + latest DEV build: seemingly no issues.

I guess it may be related to some unit types, but it's a blind guess.

Any way to reproduce this? It would help alot.

Why not full version (1.42 released yesterday) Fab ? The new patch should have everything in it that DEV had.

Latest dev + bCombat + Kunduz. No other mods. I consistently get the message popping up at the first main menu screen, and sporadically during a play session.

Runing latest (RC6) CBA and native bullet detection for bCombat and it seems to be fine.

Tested with bCombat / native bullet detection + latest DEV build: seemingly no issues.

I guess it may be related to some unit types, but it's a blind guess.

Any way to reproduce this? It would help alot.

I get the Error too. (native handler + Vanilla + CBA RC6)

maybe you can reproduce it: http://hummelhummel-ag.de/downloads/testmission_latest_t8u.Altis.7z

wait till everything is spawned then radio 0-0-1 i was always overwatchin the AI as zeus.

If I may inquire, how does this only work in SP as opposed to MP? Specifically, in my case, I play LAN MP for the respawn, but I'm playing alone in my own missions. With addons like AGM, and MCC. Would this only work if I played in a Scenario? Thanks in advance for the response as I am wildly unfamiliar with Arma AI related matters.

Hey Fab, how do I disable the debug balls over units heads? I've poured through the config and can't find anything. It's a bit distracting

Hey Fab, how do I disable the debug balls over units heads? I've poured through the config and can't find anything. It's a bit distracting

in the config.sqf look for

bcombat_dev_mode

set it to false so it looks like this:

bcombat_dev_mode = false;							// (Boolean) Toggle feature on / off
bcombat_debug_levels = [];							// Debug levels
bcombat_debug_chat = true;							// Debug in chat

thx, i'll try.

Maybe Zeus related.

Tested mission in editor (SP), with latest DEV build. No issues.

I'll test with Zeus later.

just tried to run the latest version and I get the error "script @bcombat\bcombat.sqf not found" - any ideas how to solve?

You haven't installed it correctly. Please follow the install directions on first post.

kremator thanks for the reply

you mean the instructions at the bottom ?

actually followed them exactly and still get the error - although I assumed the branch folder he is referring to is the "@bcombat" folder and unsure what the configure/expansions menu is - all mods on ARMA3 need to be selected in the pre loading splash screen nop I think (I am playin steam version) - please correct if I have made a mistake - note have also deleted all my userconfig files although I note there are .sqf files appearing under the addons folder (have been told the .hpp config files have been replaced by .sqf files in a few mods now.......) but bcombat latest version does not use userconfig files now - so am confused!

Extract the bCombat zip package anywhere.

• You have to rename the branch folder ("bCombat-master" or "bCombat-vX.XX") to "@bcombat"

• Move "@bcombat" folder from extraction location to your ArmA 3 main folder ( usually: \steamapps\common\Arma 3\ )

• Launch ArmA 3 and activate bCombat from "Configure / Expansions" menu.

actually followed them exactly and still get the error - although I assumed the branch folder he is referring to is the "@bcombat" folder and unsure what the configure/expansions menu is - all mods on ARMA3 need to be selected in the pre loading splash screen nop I think (I am playin steam version) - please correct if I have made a mistake - note have also deleted all my userconfig files although I note there are .sqf files appearing under the addons folder (have been told the .hpp config files have been replaced by .sqf files in a few mods now.......) but bcombat latest version does not use userconfig files now - so am confused!

• You have to rename the branch folder ("bCombat-master" or "bCombat-vX.XX") to "@bcombat"

• Move "@bcombat" folder from extraction location to your ArmA 3 main folder ( usually: \steamapps\common\Arma 3\ )

Add the bcombat launch parameter manually in properties/arma3/steam

redarmy thanks will give it a try......

1)I am guessing you mean you right click in the steam on ARMA3 then you add under set launch options? - what exactly do you add (its a noob question but I have never started any of my mods like this always in game menu - but after the changes to ARMA you normally need to activate all the mods through the special pre start screen?

2)the .sqf files I guess I just leave under the addon folder and it doesn't support any userconfig files anymore ?

redarmy thanks will give it a try......

1)I am guessing you mean you right click in the steam on ARMA3 then you add under set launch options? - what exactly do you add (its a noob question but I have never started any of my mods like this always in game menu - but after the changes to ARMA you normally need to activate all the mods through the special pre start screen?

2)the .sqf files I guess I just leave under the addon folder and it doesn't support any userconfig files anymore ?

Exactly-go to steam,arma3. Right click arma 3/select properties,select "set launch paramater/and this line " -mod=@bcombat " WITHOUT quotes. Make sure the bcombat folder in your Arma3 directory is name @bcombat

---------- Post added at 16:39 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Where are you putting the config.sqf file?it should be in @bcombat folder

OR copy it,and put it in the userconfig folder,tell me if that works

It's the stupid game loader's fault. Steam used to ask if you want to open the game or open the launcher. Now as of late it just chooses the loader. I hate the loader, it's stupid. And yes, is does mess with BCombat, Fab mentioned something about it wiping stuff not long ago.

Anyway there is a way to avoid the stupid loader and not have to manually add parameters. Simply go to (your relevant drive letter here -->) c:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Arma 3\

find your arma3.exe file, right click hold and drag it to the desktop. Let go on the desktop and choose the option create shortcut here.

You will need to have steam open first, but just load the game from that shortcut.

In the game's main menu you go to Configure and then Expansions and simply load the mods there with a check box. Although you need to reboot for any enabling/disabling takes effect, it's way easier to do that adding text commands.

It's the stupid game loader's fault. Steam used to ask if you want to open the game or open the launcher. Now as of late it just chooses the loader. I hate the loader, it's stupid. And yes, is does mess with BCombat, Fab mentioned something about it wiping stuff not long ago.

Anyway there is a way to avoid the stupid loader and not have to manually add parameters. Simply go to (your relevant drive letter here -->) c:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\SteamApps\Common\Arma 3\

find your arma3.exe file, right click hold and drag it to the desktop. Let go on the desktop and choose the option create shortcut here.

You will need to have steam open first, but just load the game from that shortcut.

In the game's main menu you go to Configure and then Expansions and simply load the mods there with a check box. Although you need to reboot for any enabling/disabling takes effect, it's way easier to do that adding text commands.

Beware the launcher ;)

As long as bCombat is installed, before hitting play doublecheck it's selected in the "MODS" list within the launcher.

Otherwise looks like it won't be loaded, even if it's correctly installed.