fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

I'd like to know that too.

Fabrizio, do you have any plans to make this wonderful mod MP compatible on dedicated servers? Playing coop with bCombat would be a dream come true!

Native bullet detection works only with latest ArmA3 DEV builds, as far as i know.

As reported by many people, bCombat already works on dedicated server, except for minor issues (fancy animations).

I've even seen the "fancy Roll" on a dedicated so it does work.... NEVER seen any of the surrender mechanism's work though. But everything else seems to work well.

SJ

Woooo SetUnitPos works now :yay: (now towers aren't there for ornamental purposes :)

Thank you for your feedback.

We ( you, Ollem and me ) had good times working together on shaping suppression for ArmA3. It was pleasing, instructive and interesting.

Now the PROs are finally moving. It was about time ;)

Yes thanks for all your work in A2 and continued in A3 (Fab, Ollem, TPW) - it's nice to see BIS adding such a core feature after all this time!!

:yay:

Hmm the playwithsix doesn't work for me :-(

Greetings,

How does it not work for you, can you give some details ? I have quickly tested the mod with the latest version and could not reproduce it.

Greetings,

How does it not work for you, can you give some details ? I have quickly tested the mod with the latest version and could not reproduce it.

I just dont see any ai behavior changes at all, also when i open the @bcombat folder, and compare it to the armaholic version, there are alot of files witch isn't in the pws version. The addon in the pws version is also alitlle smaller 0.97 kb i think and the one from armaholic is like 1 kb? Maybe it is packed in a different way i dont know or im doing something wrong (i only use pws to start the game and have used it for acouple of years now). I see the mod working when i use the armaholic version.

Sixt

After a massive amount of editing, I've gotten this mod to work on a server. However I ran in to some problems. Maybe you or other users can give some input. I was able to have Bcombat running efficiently on a dedicated Linux server and people join and play. Only afterwards did things get funny. With how you have built the mod, would each user need to have the mod running as well, or would it be server only?

I've even seen the "fancy Roll" on a dedicated so it does work.... NEVER seen any of the surrender mechanism's work though. But everything else seems to work well.

SJ

Do you use a headless client as well, or just the server? How do you have it set up, if so?

Great update I have to say. Been testing it on our dedi with a bunch of blufor patrolling a town and opfor attacking from various sides and was astonished how dynamic the firefight was.

However I am still not quite sure how I feel about the way you calculate hearing distance. Sniper rifles do not differ too much from assault rifles when it comes to muzzle velocity (quite often they are in fact even slower) but are a lot louder. Thus I would prefer an absolute hearing distance for us to set which does not rely on other, sometimes 3rd party, values. In addition to this you could put an option for us to whitelist the classnames of the sniper rifles we use and have us set a different absolute hearing distance for them as well(or a coefficient modifying the base hearing distance by 2 or whatever, this way you could even leave the calculation for hearing distance). So if a shot is fired from one of the whitelisted weapons (which to be fair should not be too many usually) they can hear it from farther away.

Just my two cents since I often end up playing the overwatch-recon-sniper role and I always have to force-roleplay myself into changing positions.

I do not know if this is even doable but I look forward to your reply.

Edit.

I still think that from an regular infantry viewpoint this mod is amazing. Enemies pop in and out of cover, bullets flying left and right (and not just 2 or three straight in your face, as with vanilla ai :D) But shooting someone from far away and not really doing much more than causing a bit of commotion, if anyone even gives a shit, is the only, and really the only issue I have so far ai wise.

Edited by stoffl

Do you use a headless client as well, or just the server? How do you have it set up, if so?

That particular test was just bcombat > root of the A3 folder and all works fine.

We do use HC on some other missions and you basically just mirror the bcombat installation into the root of the HC

That particular test was just bcombat > root of the A3 folder and all works fine.

We do use HC on some other missions and you basically just mirror the bcombat installation into the root of the HC

That's great, thanks. For some reason I had the idea that it would break if using it on a headless client as well - not sure why - so I haven't been using it recently. Looking forward to giving it a go again!

Fabrizio, do you have any plans to make this wonderful mod MP compatible on dedicated servers? Playing coop with bCombat would be a dream come true!

As reported by many people, bCombat already works on dedicated server, except for minor issues (fancy animations).

Thanks! Fabrizio, I recommend on adding the following to the first post - "The mod was not designed for MP, but have been teested and found to working well on several dedicated servers with no sideeffects other than some minor issues". I guess something in this line will limit the quantity of people like me who read the OP that say that it's SP only and came asking if you have any MP plans.

SJ

I searched the thread and couldn't find any details regarding this animation issue on dedicated. Could you please elaborate of what should be expected?

What should be expected? No fancy anims.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

After a massive amount of editing, I've gotten this mod to work on a server. However I ran in to some problems. Maybe you or other users can give some input. I was able to have Bcombat running efficiently on a dedicated Linux server and people join and play. Only afterwards did things get funny. With how you have built the mod, would each user need to have the mod running as well, or would it be server only?

As long as you play with AI which is local to server (e.g. COOP) there's no need to install on clients.

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

Thanks! Fabrizio, I recommend on adding the following to the first post - "The mod was not designed for MP, but have been teested and found to working well on several dedicated servers with no sideeffects other than some minor issues". I guess something in this line will limit the quantity of people like me who read the OP that say that it's SP only and came asking if you have any MP plans.

I searched the thread and couldn't find any details regarding this animation issue on dedicated. Could you please elaborate of what should be expected?

I'll consider mentioning MP features into first post, thanks.

Ignore the fancy anims, they're just a couple rolling animations i've added in order to add some variety to AI behaviour.

Whether they work or not does make any functional difference.

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

Great update I have to say. Been testing it on our dedi with a bunch of blufor patrolling a town and opfor attacking from various sides and was astonished how dynamic the firefight was.

However I am still not quite sure how I feel about the way you calculate hearing distance. Sniper rifles do not differ too much from assault rifles when it comes to muzzle velocity (quite often they are in fact even slower) but are a lot louder. Thus I would prefer an absolute hearing distance for us to set which does not rely on other, sometimes 3rd party, values. In addition to this you could put an option for us to whitelist the classnames of the sniper rifles we use and have us set a different absolute hearing distance for them as well(or a coefficient modifying the base hearing distance by 2 or whatever, this way you could even leave the calculation for hearing distance). So if a shot is fired from one of the whitelisted weapons (which to be fair should not be too many usually) they can hear it from farther away.

Just my two cents since I often end up playing the overwatch-recon-sniper role and I always have to force-roleplay myself into changing positions.

I do not know if this is even doable but I look forward to your reply.

Edit.

I still think that from an regular infantry viewpoint this mod is amazing. Enemies pop in and out of cover, bullets flying left and right (and not just 2 or three straight in your face, as with vanilla ai :D) But shooting someone from far away and not really doing much more than causing a bit of commotion, if anyone even gives a shit, is the only, and really the only issue I have so far ai wise.

I'll consider your suggestions, yet they'll require some effort to be coded.

---------- Post added at 12:33 ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 ----------

Thank for support serjames, you're actually the bCombat MP authority ;)

I can confirm the PwS version, is missing all the config files etc. Only showing the Addon and Key folders.

The latest versions don't have a userconfig folder

There was never a config folder. You directly edit the "config.sqf" inside @bCombat folder.

OMFG!!!!!!I always loved this but could never use it.The remove NVG's thing just would not change in my configs meaning noone ever had NVG's.I asked for help here and tried so many things.AND NOW YOU FIXED IT!!!Thank you so much.Downloading.So is PWS version ok or should I go with Armaholic?

okay i keep getting the bcombat.sqf not found error

what does this error mean ? how will it affect my game?

ive read the forums and i dont have the nofilepatching turned on

i downloaded latest version, placed in arma3 common folder,

ive tried installing it exactly per github but i must be missing something really simple..

rename it to @bcombat

The main folder right ?cus there is the main folder which I rename @bcombat .... Then a folder inside it also name @bcombat ....

I did that... Still get the error...I've used the arma 3 official mod launcher , and the startup command .... Still get it

Didn't have this with v.17

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

The main folder right ?cus there is the main folder which I rename @bcombat .... Then a folder inside it also name @bcombat ....

I did that... Still get the error...I've used the arma 3 official mod launcher , and the startup command .... Still get it

Didn't have this with v.17

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

There shouldn't be a folder named @bcombat inside of it. That's the folder you want in Arma 3 folder. Inside @bcombat should be addons, fsm, lib folders and some files. You've got one too many levels of folders.

There shouldn't be a folder named @bcombat inside of it. That's the folder you want in Arma 3 folder. Inside @bcombat should be addons, fsm, lib folders and some files. You've got one too many levels of folders.

Correct.

Thanks Jackson Snow.

okay heres my testing for 18 final , played about 10 hours or more and inspected almost everything bcombat 18 has to offer and i gotta say this is just awesome its with no doubt the best AI mod for A3 around ( tried many AI mods ) i saw how AI retreat to the city if its behind them ( if near them ) and take cover trying to maintain defensive parameters ( setting defensive parameters ) this is totally new to arma i have never seen them do this before ( played A2 - A2OA ) and saw them how they react to heavy fire and move while under heavy fire this is what BI really need to implement in their vanilla game i can't describe how much this mod can change the game ( im an SP lover ) yes it lacks some certain features which makes you forget them if you play arma 3 + this mod ( bcombat ) anyway i want to suggest some features for the next release if there will be

1- AI call for support from near friends ( if theres any near by on some distance ) while they are taking a heavy beat by the enemy " CAS if theres any fighter or heli flying around - ARTYs - or any other unit from the same faction )

2- AI use the buildings ( they do take cover now near buildings but they don't garrison inside them )

3- more love for the tanks to make them as lethal as they should because tanks and APCs sucks now and very stupid they don't use their guns in a proper way and they are very easy targets for player and AI

these are just suggestion and in my opinion these are the only features Bcombat lacks at the time.

cheers