fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

[*] Dynamic teamplay: units are now able to dynamically merge / split teams: given their task, reciprocal position and planned destination they are now able to choose whether to go alone, or in teams.

[/Quote]

Now THIS is moving in the right direction.

Now THIS is moving in the right direction.

Teams not groups, just to be clear ;)

Now i've witnessed some really brutal 2 vs 2 squad fighting in the forests on Gorgona (go gheck this little, but beautiful map: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?188076-Gorgona-Italy-(terrain)).

I've had a few intermittent errors popping up, other than that upcoming version is playing really fine imho.

---------- Post added at 23:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:58 ----------

Ok, after some thorough testing, i finally decided to release an update to bCombat v0.18 BETA.

The updated files are available only on GitHub: https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat

Changelog to be updated.

The intended audience are bCombat enthusiasts ;)

Other people may want to wait for a fine-tuned, polished official release.

Debug mode is ON: you know the drill, set bcombat_dev_mode = false;.

Files are subject to change before v0.18 FINAL release.

I noticed no major showstoppers, still problems may occur: install and try at your risk.

ONLY if you're running latest beta, try setting in config.sqf :

bcombat_ballistics_native_handler = true;

This in order to run the brand new BIS-powered close-bullet detection instead of bDetect.

Edited by fabrizio_T

[quote name='fabrizio_T;2881193

Please doubleheck installation instructions: https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat

Be sure there are no old leftovers before reinstalling.

In my opinion' date=' it's likely you're not installing bCombat into ArmA3 main folder, or bCombat folder is not named as expected.

Let me know if issue persists.[/quote']

Thank you, i downloaded it manually and installed it as pws wasn't installing it in the correct place and i just assumed it would. I cant launch it with playwith six collections without them telling me to install whats already there but a quick entry into the startup params and all is working good!

OK 2 errors so far I get in RPT

0:06:45 Error in expression <x domove _nearpos;

}
else
{
_x domove _rpos;

};

_leader setVariable ["bcomb>
0:06:45   Error position: <_rpos;

};

0:06:45   Error Undefined variable in expression: _rpos
0:06:45 File @bcombat\lib\common.sqf, line 1928

0:10:25 Error in expression <( 100 - _level ) / 100) ^ 1.33; 

_unit setSkill ["aimingAccuracy", ( (( _unit g>
0:10:25   Error position: <setSkill ["aimingAccuracy", ( (( _unit g>
0:10:25   Error Type Number, expected Number
0:10:25 File @bcombat\lib\suppression.sqf, line 422

Game plays well and the AI are the same deadly AI as with 0.18. Good job!

Try the old fashioned way (ie not PwS) and things will be absolutely fine !

Try not to be so dismissive of SIX. We know it's the lazy way and bit of a clunky program but it admittedly makes things more convenient for quite many, As an added bonus when you couldn't get your muggle friends to use even simple mods before it's existence you now have something that they are willing to try.

Also the screaming for bcombat.sqf should be considered a BUG, not a feature. The previous versions 0.15? or before worked fine before from the library/files/Arma3 folder where SIX puts every mod (I assume it's called library/files on english systems, it's where most games put save files and other such things). Something has either changed in the mod or bohemia patches so it does not understand using that folder anymore at all. Thus if you wish to play with it on SIX you must make a copy of the bcombat folder and paste it in the steam arma installation folder so it stops asking for bcombat.sqf. Should be considered a bug.

Also out of all the AI mods I really like this one and consider it the best. They're not uber soldaten who spot you and one shot you on sight but when engagement starts you have to take cover. Really digging the balance and the movement on 0.18.1. Also the only AI mod with really active developement still I think. Haven't tried it multiplayer yet but what features don't work in it? Doing a headless client for the AI seems an option if it's resource intensive. Just wondering why the advertisement as only SP mod?

Edited by Juhak

OK 2 errors so far I get in RPT

0:06:45 Error in expression <x domove _nearpos;

}
else
{
_x domove _rpos;

};

0:06:45   Error position: <_rpos;

};

0:06:45   Error Undefined variable in expression: _rpos
0:06:45 File @bcombat\lib\common.sqf, line 1928

0:10:25 Error in expression <( 100 - _level ) / 100) ^ 1.33; 

_unit setSkill ["aimingAccuracy", ( (( _unit g>
0:10:25   Error position: <setSkill ["aimingAccuracy", ( (( _unit g>
0:10:25   Error Type Number, expected Number
0:10:25 File @bcombat\lib\suppression.sqf, line 422

Game plays well and the AI are the same deadly AI as with 0.18. Good job!

Thank you, looking into these now.

EDIT:

Error #1 was fixed, as it was a simple typo i missed.

Fix is published on GitHub, only change was in line 1928 of lib/common.sqf

Error #2 is sneaky, thought it was fixed already, but it wasn't.

Looking for the culprit.

EDIT2:

Also the second error is gone i guess.

It could be caused by uninitialized units disembarking from vehicles, or by units spawned at runtime.

Incomplete initialization was the culprit for both cases: i reworked a semaphore to take care of the issue.

Download updated package from GitHub to get both errors fixed:

https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat

Sorry for inconvenience, thanks Kremator for reporting.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Try not to be so dismissive of SIX. We know it's the lazy way and bit of a clunky program but it admittedly makes things more convenient for quite many, As an added bonus when you couldn't get your muggle friends to use even simple mods before it's existence you now have something that they are willing to try.

Also the screaming for bcombat.sqf should be considered a BUG, not a feature. The previous versions 0.15? or before worked fine before from the library/files/Arma3 folder where SIX puts every mod (I assume it's called library/files on english systems, it's where most games put save files and other such things). Something has either changed in the mod or bohemia patches so it does not understand using that folder anymore at all. Thus if you wish to play with it on SIX you must make a copy of the bcombat folder and paste it in the steam arma installation folder so it stops asking for bcombat.sqf. Should be considered a bug.

I'll make this short Juhak (if that is your REAL name) about PwS as this is a bCombat thread. Just look at the problems people have in using it with not just this mod. Sure I was an evangelist of it at the start but you are right it IS clunky, and I'm afraid causes more hassles than it solves. It is NOT Fab_T's issue to sort out PwS issues for bCombat - hence why I wrote 'Try the old fashioned way'. You should have seen what I wrote before I toned it down. We will have to agree to disagree I'm afraid to say.

Now .. back to THIS thread. Fab I have been playing more with the new beta and I love it. The AI seem much more responsive now (unless you put 250 AI within 100m of eachother, hehe) -you know I love BIG battles. Anyway, I found the AI pushing up under cover of smoke and I haven't seen that before with 0.18. Going to experiment later on with a platoon engagement to see how they split and flank.

Also out of all the AI mods I really like this one and consider it the best. They're not uber soldaten who spot you and one shot you on sight but when engagement starts you have to take cover. Really digging the balance and the movement on 0.18.1. Also the only AI mod with really active developement still I think. Haven't tried it multiplayer yet but what features don't work in it? Doing a headless client for the AI seems an option if it's resource intensive. Just wondering why the advertisement as only SP mod?

Hi Juhak and welcome.

Regarding SIX, please consider i'm not the person packaging the mod for distribution, nor i have real control on what's released there.

One limitation of SIX is that requires mods to be put outside ArmA3 folder, which clashes with the opposite requirement by bCombat (we may debate whether this is orthodox or not, but there're reasons on my side for this choice).

The bcombat.sqf error isn't really a bug, but a consequence of the package not being installed on WithSIX as per-instructions.

If that's not possible, the way around would be to distribute via WithSIX a packaged version of the mod, which can be mantained, updated and released by me (albeit with a lesser frequence).

I do this already for Steam workshop version of bCombat.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not bashing WithSIX nor criticizing the wise people managing it, it's just that how bCombat is handled there is something out of my control.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Hi fabrizio_T

I've had a bit of a play with your latest updated Beta using native bullet detection and it all seems to be working an absolute treat. AI are fantastic and a realistic challenge when using bCombat, as far as I'm concerned.

Regarding bDetect: please allow me to thank you for your initial brilliant concept of bullet centric detection which you developed to its logical extreme as bDetect, and which Ollem and I used in TPWCAS and TPW EBS respectively. I'm very pleased that there is now native close bullet detection, but you've made it possible for workable suppression prior to this.

Hi fabrizio_T

I've had a bit of a play with your latest updated Beta using native bullet detection and it all seems to be working an absolute treat. AI are fantastic and a realistic challenge when using bCombat, as far as I'm concerned.

Regarding bDetect: please allow me to thank you for your initial brilliant concept of bullet centric detection which you developed to its logical extreme as bDetect, and which Ollem and I used in TPWCAS and TPW EBS respectively. I'm very pleased that there is now native close bullet detection, but you've made it possible for workable suppression prior to this.

Thank you for your feedback.

We ( you, Ollem and me ) had good times working together on shaping suppression for ArmA3. It was pleasing, instructive and interesting.

Now the PROs are finally moving. It was about time ;)

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

UPDATE: bCombat v0.18 FINAL released on GitHub and Steam

Armaholic release following soon.

Release notes:

• Debug / dev mode is OFF by default
  • NVgoogles now not removed by default
  • Surrendering now disabled by default

Regarding WithSIX: to anybody of the SIX staff eventually stumbling here: please refrain using GitHub package for WithSIX bCombat version, use this .pbo packed version instead.

It's the same as Steam Workshop package, hence you'll not be able to configure it via config.sqf (not bundled), unless you download and save it seperately.

However, i strongly recommend GitHub version of the mod to "power users".

Edited by fabrizio_T

Thanks mate

Been seeing this error popping up with some regularity:

Error undefined variable in expression: _items

@bcombat\lib\common.sqf line 349

I'm using JSRS 2 if it makes any difference.

Thanks mate

Looks like it's some modded weapon.

Scripting command "primaryWeaponItems" fails on it.

However i think issue is now possibly circumvented, try merging this updated common.sqf:

https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat/blob/v0.18/lib/common.sqf

Downloadable v0.18 is already patched for others.

Let me know whether the fix works. Ty.

Edited by fabrizio_T
refactoring of messages ...

Downloading now and testing Fab

OK some testing results. Looks good so far, with no errors I could see.

Edited by Kremator

Thanks mate

Still not solved.

Looks like primaryWeaponItems is broken on some units, such as mk8 mortar (possibly other static weapons too).

It basically does not return an array as expected.

Looking for a workaround.

EDIT: fixed with a "isNil" check. Published.

By the way, did you ever try issuing a FIRE ARTILLERY command to a mk8 mortar unit within your group positioned on a slight slope (position cursor over target, press F-number of unit, then FIRE ARTILLERY) ?

It's broken, horribly broken ... try yourself and see him rolling over.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Thank you for your feedback.

We ( you, Ollem and me ) had good times working together on shaping suppression for ArmA3. It was pleasing, instructive and interesting.

Now the PROs are finally moving. It was about time ;)

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 ----------

UPDATE: bCombat v0.18 FINAL released on GitHub and Steam

Armaholic release following soon.

Release notes:

• Debug / dev mode is OFF by default
  • NVgoogles now not removed by default
  • Surrendering now disabled by default

Regarding WithSIX: to anybody of the SIX staff eventually stumbling here: please refrain using GitHub package for WithSIX bCombat version, use this .pbo packed version instead.

It's the same as Steam Workshop package, hence you'll not be able to configure it via config.sqf (not bundled), unless you download and save it seperately.

However, i strongly recommend GitHub version of the mod to "power users".

Thanks for the info, will update with this in mind :)

Still not solved.

Looks like primaryWeaponItems is broken on some units, such as mk8 mortar (possibly other static weapons too).

It basically does not return an array as expected.

Looking for a workaround.

EDIT: fixed with a "isNil" check. Published.

By the way, did you ever try issuing a FIRE ARTILLERY command to a mk8 mortar unit within your group positioned on a slight slope (position cursor over target, press F-number of unit, then FIRE ARTILLERY) ?

It's broken, horribly broken ... try yourself and see him rolling over.

Does it look like this?

PhysiX..powered by a company that´ll try to sell you 4GB VRam cards that actually have only 3,5GB (and 0,5GB of really slow VRAM)

Does it look like this?

PhysiX..powered by a company that´ll try to sell you 4GB VRam cards that actually have only 3,5GB (and 0,5GB of really slow VRAM)

Yes. Nice feaure.

hey Fabrizio, thank you for the update.

Do I understand it correctly that native bullet detection works only in the developer version of the game; not in the latest stable build?

Thanks for the latest update. First fire fight it was immediately noticeable just how much more the AI move, the fight was so dynamic and the AI moved so much better never staying in spot for too long. The fight moved through a town so fluidly that I was hard to keep up with them. Well done, this is just brilliant.

Thanks for informing us about the updated version mate :cool:

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

hey Fabrizio, thank you for the update.

Do I understand it correctly that native bullet detection works only in the developer version of the game; not in the latest stable build?

I'd like to know that too.

Fabrizio, do you have any plans to make this wonderful mod MP compatible on dedicated servers? Playing coop with bCombat would be a dream come true!

Variable, as far as I know it does work on dedi servers (at least that is what I have found).