fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

Hi Fabrizio!

Is there a way to remove completely the EH handledamage, I mean, not aplly it at all? Could I do the same for the setskill command?

I'd like to give it a shot :cool:

About reinforcements, radios will fill the gap.

It's quite some time i'm developing the feature since it is tricky to have done it right, however development goes on.

Mortars can be an interesting feature even for group level tactics.

Some time ago i made a script allowing single foot units to transport, assemble, disassemble and fire mortars on their own.

It also allowed also player to direct their fire (point and click target), when playing as leader.

All in all it was a raw piece of code, but it may be worth refining.

hell yeah this is what i needed to hear please take your time i can die in peace now :D

Hi Fabrizio!

Is there a way to remove completely the EH handledamage, I mean, not aplly it at all? Could I do the same for the setskill command?

Today I'll be trying your revive Giallustio with bcombat to see how they work together.

Hi Fabrizio!

Care to elaborate more about your questions?

What do you mean, you want to make units invulnerable?

I opened the cfg and I saw those lines:

bcombat_damage_multiplier = 1.0;					// (0-1) Damage multiplier. Received damage is multiplied by this value. Only infantrymen are affected. Zero makes units invulnerable.

bcombat_skill_multiplier = 1;    					// (0-1) Unit skill is multiplied by this value. It affects accuracy as well. Allowed range is 0 to 1
bcombat_skill_linearity = 1.25;    					// (0-1) linearity of skill: 2 means quadratic
bcombat_skill_min_player_group = 0.5;				// (0-1) enforce minimum skill for units in player group 

I'm assuming that you're using an HandleDamage event handler and a setSkill command. Is there a way to prevent the mod to run those commands?

It seems that I can't place the mod outside the Arma 3 folder, "bcombat.sqf is missing"

I opened the cfg and I saw those lines:

bcombat_damage_multiplier = 1.0;					// (0-1) Damage multiplier. Received damage is multiplied by this value. Only infantrymen are affected. Zero makes units invulnerable.

bcombat_skill_multiplier = 1;    					// (0-1) Unit skill is multiplied by this value. It affects accuracy as well. Allowed range is 0 to 1
bcombat_skill_linearity = 1.25;    					// (0-1) linearity of skill: 2 means quadratic
bcombat_skill_min_player_group = 0.5;				// (0-1) enforce minimum skill for units in player group 

I'm assuming that you're using an HandleDamage event handler and a setSkill command. Is there a way to prevent the mod to run those commands?

It seems that I can't place the mod outside the Arma 3 folder, "bcombat.sqf is missing"

HandleDamage is used only for 2 purposes:

* handling bcombat_damage_multiplier when set to some value different than 1

* Avoiding friendly kills if bcombat_allow_friendly_capped_damage = true.

Other than for these cases bCombat does not fiddle with damage.

SetSkill is interactively used in order to manage AI behaviour, it's not possible to skip it without breaking bCombat internal mechanics.

Finally, bCombat should be placed into Arma 3 folder, it's a known limitation.

Would it be possible to make the AI not running into the Fireline? It happens sometimes when i shot towards the enemy that my AI Squadmates are moving and running directly into my bullets ^^

I've found a nice video showing bCombat v0.18 BETA in action (ArmA2 units):

* Much smoke popping at about 2:05

* A unit fleeing at 2:45

* Precision CQB grenade lobbing at 3:05, but action is clipped.

* Violent "cornering" at 3:26 ( some other mod kicks in, as the "killed" BLUFOR unit acts in a bizarre way )

* Nice grenade lobbing at 8:20 ;)

overall, a hail of gunfire and a prolonged fight.

Shame pathfinding looks sometimes troublesome on that map.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Hm... I´m wondering if it´s working as it should in Multiplayer or not? Several guys says yes but fabrizio always says "only singleplayer"? What is now correct?

Yes, it works in MP. Please read other posts, as this keep creeping up every so often !

I've found a nice video showing bCombat v0.18 BETA in action (ArmA2 units):

* Much smoke popping at about 2:05

* A unit fleeing at 2:45

* Precision CQB grenade lobbing at 3:05, but action is clipped.

* Violent "cornering" at 3:26 ( some other mod kicks in, as the "killed" BLUFOR unit acts in a bizarre way )

* Nice grenade lobbing at 8:20 ;)

overall, a hail of gunfire and a prolonged fight.

Shame pathfinding looks sometimes troublesome on that map.

Another dumb question .. What map is that ? I have the aia SA up can't find it

That other mod is probably AGM, I did some testing with the latest version and I must say you did a very nice job man. AI is very responsive and the firefights are much more enjoyable, thank you for your awesome work :)

That other mod is probably AGM, I did some testing with the latest version and I must say you did a very nice job man. AI is very responsive and the firefights are much more enjoyable, thank you for your awesome work :)

Thank you and as i wrote above, nice video.

So no files are going into the "userconfig" folder? I can't figure it out from the installation instructions! Every single file stays within the bcombat folder... ?!

... and when running Arma it still say "bcombat 1.17 dev" but it is 1.18 ?

Edited by fragmentpruts

I've just published a minor update to v0.18 BETA on GitHub, here is the changelog for most important changes:

* Command "setUnitPosWeak" used for stance handling, so that it can be overridden by issuing a "setUnitPos" command
* Small shooting accuracy buff to machinegunners
* Further (subtle) prioritization of moving vs. firing for a unit which is not threatened. This to further compensate for ArmA 1.3X increased frequency of enemy detection signals

Debug is off by default.

---------- Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

So no files are going into the "userconfig" folder? I can't figure it out from the installation instructions! Every single file stays within the bcombat folder... ?!

... and when running Arma it still say "bcombat 1.17 dev" but it is 1.18 ?

You should see "bCombat 1.18 BETA" instead, it's likely you have a conflict between different versions of the mod.

Check your installation, follow installation instructions shown on GitHub.

Userconfig is not needed.

EDIT: my fault, forgot to update mod version in mod.cpp. Fixed now.

---------- Post added at 20:29 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Fab, what sort of flanking maneuvers are built in to bCombat?

Now that's a question.

Answer is lengthy and boring, are you sure you're willing to read it?

;)

Edited by fabrizio_T

I often see the group leader fall back quite a bit from the battle (ie it almost looks like he is running away BUT NOT!) while sending troops in. Is this normal behaviour ?

I often see the group leader fall back quite a bit from the battle (ie it almost looks like he is running away BUT NOT!) while sending troops in. Is this normal behaviour ?

Probably some pathfinding issue, like when units move back and forth.

I'd say not caused by bCombat though, except IF leader is actually moving towards some cover.

In that case movement should be no more than bcombat_cover_radius settings (meters) AND leader should have been fired upon immediately before ...

fab, this is probably not strictly related to your mod but do you know if AI is vertically aware of obstacles in their LOS and if they are capable of adjusting their stances in order to gain LOS over the obstacles again?

fab, this is probably not strictly related to your mod but do you know if AI is vertically aware of obstacles in their LOS and if they are capable of adjusting their stances in order to gain LOS over the obstacles again?

I'd say they don't. They just know they haven't a clear LOS.

It can be scripted (bCombat does massive use of LOS real-time checking, especially in CQB), but computational power would be overkill when many units are on the battlefield.

Edited by fabrizio_T

I'd say they don't.

It can be scripted (bCombat does massive use of LOS real-time checking, especially in CQB), but computational power would be overkill when many units are on the battlefield.

So you think there is currently no way for AI to use correct stances according to their needs and LOS (i.e. not going prone when in need of shooting from a tower)? I am thinking of Men of War series where AI is obviously aware of their LOS and stances and can adapt accordingly (I am not talking about predefined "cover positions"). I haven't noticed Men of War being too resource heavy. But I am not well educated in this field.

And how is bCombat benefiting from the "massive LOS real-time checking" you have mentioned? Could you please elaborate a bit what is going on?