fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

Well, to be fair this video almost proves that with bCombat AI is actually unable to see well at night without NVGs.

Infact you were able to move to about 75 meters in front of an enemy AI squad, on open terrain, without even alerting them ...

So in my opinion night sight is ok.

What i think may deserve some tuning down is how AI units are able to pinpoint gunfire (at short distance) by hearing only, when not directly facing the shooter.

Video won't help in this case, since you were firing basically in front of some enemies, so they can see your muzzle flash. Distance is very close too.

This gives out your approximate position and from such a short distance even some inaccurate suppressive / blind fire would catch you easily.

A better test would be ambushing enemy units from back and from no closer than about 100 meters in my opinion (*), unless we over-existimate the efficiency of suppressors.

I'm doing a few tests with such a scenario, in order to evaluate enemy reaction.

(*) I was told by a "pro" that a suppressed SMG "thud" can be clearly heard in a silent environment even at about 50 meters.

Not sure whether that's true or not, but that's the info i was given.

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

EDIT:

After testing, i've not seen major issues with night visibility / audibility in v0.17 RC.

This said, a minor issue exists, related to muzzle visibility for silenced weapons.

It makes AI units a bit too efficient in seeing incoming fire from silenced weapons.

This has been fixed in my internal testing build.

Fix to be released with next build.

would you like me to do a ambush video test or you do you have pretty much all the data you need?

This said, a minor issue exists, related to muzzle visibility for silenced weapons.

It makes AI units a bit too efficient in seeing incoming fire from silenced weapons.

This has been fixed in my internal testing build.

Fix to be released with next build.

That's great to hear. That's always been a complaint of mine in Arma...shooting suppressed at night, even without an AI mod running, allows the AI to pinpoint the shooter very quickly. Looking forward to the next update.

hi fabrizio, my unit is throwing a smoke grenade when in fight but i dont want him to do like this. is there a way to turn it off? - i think its caused by bcombat.

hi fabrizio, my unit is throwing a smoke grenade when in fight but i dont want him to do like this. is there a way to turn it off? - i think its caused by bcombat.

Yes, it is a feature of bcombat. You could try to edit the config.sqf in your mod folder (or simply take the grenades from their inventory).

set bcombat_allow_smoke_grenades = true; to bcombat_allow_smoke_grenades = false;

--------

@ fabrizio. I'm back to version 0.16 and the level of awareness feels normal/authentic. In v0.17 they feel like super hearing aimbots.

Edited by max1944

@ fabrizio. I'm back to version 0.16 and the level of awareness feels normal/authentic. In v0.17 they feel like super hearing aimbots.

in v0.17 aiming accuracy is handled differently, yet i don't think they're aimbots.

It's a matter of preference i guess.

Is it possible to configure bcombat to prioritize an emphasis on travel? I find myself getting extremely frustrated watching a high commanded squad being controlled by MCC/GAIA traversing a set of waypoints through a string of fields/hedgerows to flank an enemy only to be bogged down by hearing a rifle report of the enemy they're moving to engage (but not being fired on by) and be set to aware mode and do the tedious bounding leap-frog dance needlessly. I feel like the bounding movement should be reserved for moments when the squad is or (has been) under fire, otherwise they need to move with a sense of urgency rather (to save their other squad's asses) than caution. I've been playing with the overwatch option, the hearing ranges, adding WW AIcover, and a myriad of other longshot experiments. Changing the overwatch settings only seems to work sometimes (leaning towards "rarely"), whether it's set to machine gunners only or not.

Is it possible/plausible to tie the bounding movement only when a squad is fired on...like trigger it on suppression only? Or is the bounding movement routine absolutely hard coded to the aware mode? Other than completely turning enhanced hearing off, are there any configuration settings that would emphasize movement (jogging/sprinting) and only have AI react cautiously when absolutely needed?

Is it possible to configure bcombat to prioritize an emphasis on travel? I find myself getting extremely frustrated watching a high commanded squad being controlled by MCC/GAIA traversing a set of waypoints through a string of fields/hedgerows to flank an enemy only to be bogged down by hearing a rifle report of the enemy they're moving to engage (but not being fired on by) and be set to aware mode and do the tedious bounding leap-frog dance needlessly. I feel like the bounding movement should be reserved for moments when the squad is or (has been) under fire, otherwise they need to move with a sense of urgency rather (to save their other squad's asses) than caution. I've been playing with the overwatch option, the hearing ranges, adding WW AIcover, and a myriad of other longshot experiments. Changing the overwatch settings only seems to work sometimes (leaning towards "rarely"), whether it's set to machine gunners only or not.

Is it possible/plausible to tie the bounding movement only when a squad is fired on...like trigger it on suppression only? Or is the bounding movement routine absolutely hard coded to the aware mode? Other than completely turning enhanced hearing off, are there any configuration settings that would emphasize movement (jogging/sprinting) and only have AI react cautiously when absolutely needed?

Bounding movement is tied to Vanilla COMBAT behaviour (as well as STEALTH).

That's some very special behaviour which is triggered automatically, unless group was assigned a CARELESS behaviour.

It may be triggered just by some enemy coming into sight, which usually does not make much sense.

We can't do much to exclude COMBAT behaviour, unless BIS finally gives us some override.

It's some years we debate this matter and i've asked for a simple forceMove command to be added for ages now ...

---------- Post added at 11:01 ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 ----------

max1944's reply is right ;)

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 ----------

That's great to hear. That's always been a complaint of mine in Arma...shooting suppressed at night, even without an AI mod running, allows the AI to pinpoint the shooter very quickly. Looking forward to the next update.

Err ... i was speaking about a bCombat issue, not a vanilla issue. Somewhat worsening behaviour.

To be fair i'd say vanilla gameplay with silenced weapons works more credibly now .

I remember having issues with detection in the past (as you pointed out), but looks to me that recent builds (1.30+) lessened these problems.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Bounding movement is tied to Vanilla COMBAT behaviour (as well as STEALTH).

That's some very special behaviour which is triggered automatically, unless group was assigned a CARELESS behaviour.

It may be triggered just by some enemy coming into sight, which usually does not make much sense.

We can't do much to exclude COMBAT behaviour, unless BIS finally gives us some override.

It's some years we debate this matter and i've asked for a simple forceMove command to be added for ages now ...

Ah that's quite a bummer, but at least it's good to see you're aware of how annoying it is. I guess all we can do is keep hoping BiS adds what is needed.

in v0.17 aiming accuracy is handled differently, yet i don't think they're aimbots.

It's a matter of preference i guess.

Hi Fab, :)

so which version should i pick when i would to have this kind of good AI? My version is propably outdated i think, have you a link for this "good AI" version :) ?

Maybe aimbot was the wrong term, it is more like a super hearing wallhack. They heard a suppressed (Mk18 ABR) shot from 160m away and ran exactly to my position (picture).

Did you tried the start of the "Breaking Even" mission. The task requires to eliminate the two guards undetected which is possible with 0.16, but with 0.17 it fails immediately until one gurard is hit. For me it is a game breaking circumstance.

Edited by max1944

Err ... i was speaking about a bCombat issue, not a vanilla issue. Somewhat worsening behaviour.

To be fair i'd say vanilla gameplay with silenced weapons works more credibly now .

I remember having issues with detection in the past (as you pointed out), but looks to me that recent builds (1.30+) lessened these problems.

Perhaps I didn't word that quite right. But to be honest, I haven't played A3 without bCombat in....a long time and probably since before 1.30. If vanilla is better now, great. If you're able to tweak bCombat to match vanilla or make it better, even better. Hopefully that will happen with your update.

Regardless, thanks for the continued updates/support.

Hi Fab, :)

so which version should i pick when i would to have this kind of good AI? My version is propably outdated i think, have you a link for this "good AI" version :) ?

I'd say v0.17 will be the reference, as some features are improved over v0.16.

The issue reported here is with silenced weapons and in my opinion it will be lessened thanks to the "muzzle" fix.

I'm not overly concerned about hearing abilities.

By default hearing radius is bigger in v0.17 and seems fine to me, but hearing can be tweaked ( or removed ) into config.sqf.

It's a matter of balancing and it's highly subjective.

Keep your current version, switch to v0.17 FINAL when released ;)

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

Perhaps I didn't word that quite right. But to be honest, I haven't played A3 without bCombat in....a long time and probably since before 1.30. If vanilla is better now, great. If you're able to tweak bCombat to match vanilla or make it better, even better. Hopefully that will happen with your update.

Regardless, thanks for the continued updates/support.

Some vanilla AI issues where definetely lessened.

For instance the insta-knowledge of any targets shared across groups is still there, but at least looks like its effects have been mitigated.

This actually improves bCombat behaviour as well ;)

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

Maybe aimbot was the wrong term, it is more like a super hearing wallhack. They heard a suppressed (Mk18 ABR) shot from 160m away and ran exactly to my position (picture).

Did you tried the start of the "Breaking Even" mission. The task requires to eliminate the two guards undetected which is possible with 0.16, but with 0.17 it fails immediately until one gurard is hit. For me it is a game breaking circumstance.

I'll try "Breaking Even" with the "fixed" v0.17 dev version in order to check the outcome.

Hi Fabrizio!, probably answered earlier, but it's just a quick question. Do you have plans for MP, or when do you think you will start working o it?

Thanks!

Fabrizio, did you manage to adjust the level of awareness in v0.17? If it would be the same as in 0.16 it would be fine by me.

Fabrizio, did you manage to adjust the level of awareness in v0.17? If it would be the same as in 0.16 it would be fine by me.

I've tweaked a bit accuracy (lowered) and reduced awareness for silenced weapons.

It plays well in my opinion.

I had no chance to finalize and publish v0.17 final as i wished, sorry for that.

Dayjob takes its toll on my time, currently.

Does bCombat works together with every Mods or do i need to config some stuff like in ASR AI?

If config needed: How? Examples?

Does bCombat works together with every Mods or do i need to config some stuff like in ASR AI?

If config needed: How? Examples?

In my totally humble opinion there might be issues.

Both mods are messing with awareness factors (seeing/hearing and lots of other things)

That couldn't be good.. (imho again)..

Misunderstanding incoming? :confused:

I tought more about CAF Aggressors, CSAT Alternativ, BWMod, etc. as is said "other Mods". I wouldn't use twice AI Mods like this at the same time.

/Edit:

Does every Unit work with this mod or do i need to integrate some extra Mod config?

How can i verify if bcombat is working on my dedicated server? I know it worked when I hosted a game on from my arma 3 client, but now there are no debug balls. how can i check?

Fabrizio i havnt tinkered with bcombat in a while,but have got the new update.

I saw that the skill config is no longer needed/used.

Is there now any way to adjust the AIs spot distance?

Currently testing two enemy groups staring 1000km away on an airfield,on opposing ends,moving them closer to each other gives me the results that AI(with high vanilla skill settings) only see each other at around 300meters-400meters.

So im asking,is that normal for bcombat....and is it somehow tweakable?

Thanks

is there any way to tweak the grenade accuracy/frequency? it seems like AI have perfect throwing accuracy even when they shouldn't know your exact position - a lot of the time multiple AI will all throw nades to my exact position at once.

also, I've been testing in the editor and I can't get the AI to track me down if I hide in a building, even if I fire a bunch of times with them standing outside the building.

Edited by SSD

How well is this mod functioning in Multiplayer now? I heard it does not work very well in Multiplayer but that was awhile ago. Surely it has been further optimised to MP by now?

the focus is SP at the moment as far as i know !

i personally couldnt get it running on dedicated, but I think there are several people who did- it should theoretically work as long as you only run it serverside and not on the clients (thats how fab explained it)

Edited by [styr]killswitch

A late thanks for the update to this mod fabrizio_T, will this be your last ever update now?

Edited by Gepanzert-Faust

A late thanks for the update to this mod fabrizio_T, will this be your last ever update now?

For sure no.

Yet i've traveling a lot and having many job tasks to deal with, so for the moment my spare time is zeroed.

Once i'm done with all this, bCombat will move on.