fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

http://puu.sh/cxZ8c/860d3adda4.png (110 kB)

Looked everywhere on how to disable this HUD item. I'm running 0.17 from PWS.

Is it in the config sqf?

In your @bCombat folder there is a config.sqf that you can edit. In the top part of that there is a "debug" setting that is set to "true", change this to "False" and problem solved.

so the new version 0.17, you dont need userconfig files? as it is not included

The config.sqf only overwrites the default settings. So if you are fine with the default settings, then you don't need it; if you want to change them, get it from here (click "Raw" to download).

But is the "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\userconfig\bcombat\bcombat_config.hpp" still used? It only has AI skill settings in my case.

But is the "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\userconfig\bcombat\bcombat_config.hpp" still used? It only has AI skill settings in my case.

I do believe that he/ FAB stated a while ago, that the userconfig is no longer used.. its all compiled in the .pbo.. because steam i think...

In the config.sqf, line 22, where it says:

bcombat_dev_mode = true;

Try changing it to false and see if the box disappears.

Alright, thanks! There's now something in it's place that says "bCombat 0.17 is now running", I think I'll just have to live with that(or backdate to 0.16?)

Alright, thanks! There's now something in it's place that says "bCombat 0.17 is now running", I think I'll just have to live with that(or backdate to 0.16?)

If you wish to get rid also of those startup hints then change bcombat_startup_hint = true to false, line 287.

Then add bdetect_startup_hint = false just below.

---------- Post added at 22:36 ---------- Previous post was at 22:35 ----------

I do believe that he/ FAB stated a while ago, that the userconfig is no longer used.. its all compiled in the .pbo.. because steam i think...

Yes, removed ( I hope temporarily ) in order to get Steam packaging done and not needed anymore.

All the mod is packaged into .pbo, as of v0.17 RC.

Nothing more is needed, except for custom configuration ( in Steam case then you'd need config.sqf, to be put into your @bcombat folder).

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:36 ----------

I seem to be having a problem with units spawning without NVGs, this happens with units spawned in editor and with Zeus.

Without NVGs the AI have are severely effected at night and do not spot or shoot at ranges greater than 50 meters.

I have tested this with all Vanilla units CSAT,AAF and NATO all spawn with NVGs in the vanilla game but do not with this mod enabled

Is this intentional or is this a bug with the current build?

It's a feature, but i do agree that it would be better to have it disabled by default.

Solution already posted, though (thx redarmy).

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

The config.sqf only overwrites the default settings. So if you are fine with the default settings, then you don't need it;

Ditto ;)

Edited by fabrizio_T

Yes, removed ( I hope temporarily ) in order to get Steam packaging done and not needed anymore.

All the mod is packaged into .pbo, as of v0.17 RC.

Nothing more is needed, except for custom configuration ( in Steam case then you'd need config.sqf, to be put into your @bcombat folder).

what if you're not using the steam version, do you still need the userconfig files?

Hi,

I know the mod supports only single player, but I'm wondering what will happen if I try to run it on a dedicated server?

what if you're not using the steam version, do you still need the userconfig files?

I'm playing without. No error message. Works.

A further clarification on how various bCombat versions work

Whatever the version you download (Armaholic, WithSIX, GitHub, Steam), you don't need to install anything else to play (except for CBA).

Just if you wish to override defaults you have to edit config.sqf.

All bCombat versions, except Steam Workshop version, already include an editable config.sqf for this purpose.

STEAM only:

If you have Steam Workshop version of bCombat and wish to customize your install, you have to separately download config.sqf from here and put into your @bcombat folder. I'd suggest to put auto-update off for bCombat if you are running an edited configuration (or your config.sqf will be wiped on mod update).

---------- Post added at 09:31 ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 ----------

Hi,

I know the mod supports only single player, but I'm wondering what will happen if I try to run it on a dedicated server?

It should work, basically.

I have an issue where I tell my AI squad members to hold fire - and they don't.

Is this the cause ? CBA perhaps ?

Supplementary question, can bcombat be used in mods ? Is it possible/allowed/ridiculous ?

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 17:16 ----------

Hi,

I've been using it for co-op with friends (I'm hosting) and it works a treat.

Edited by thefinn

It's like nearly every ai Mod, as long the ai spawn on server side nothing strange will happen. In cause of Zeus and headless client you should not expect much.

There has been a discussion about the "Hold Fire" command in the AI discussion forum. Apparently there are circumstances where the AI will open fire when told to hold fire, and there is no foolproof way of preventing this with the commands available.

Speaking of HOLD FIRE, the main difference between vanilla and bCombat is that the latter clears units to open fire ALSO if they're generally fired upon (e.g. bullets hitting near or flying by very close).

Vanilla ArmA AI units *DO* break HOLD FIRE commands as soon as they feel "compromised", meaning they know enemy units detected and identified them as foe.

Not sure whether this is a bad thing actually, looks to me more a (raw) feature than a bug.

It's possible to force units to HOLD FIRE by script ( unit setCombatMode "BLUE" ), but that's a different story.

Supplementary question, can bcombat be used in mods ? Is it possible/allowed/ridiculous ?

Do you care to elaborate? I don't understand the question.

Edited by fabrizio_T

I switched from 0.16 to 0.17 and now the AI is incredibly aware of stealth kills (with suppressors). It is now impossible to eliminate the two guards on the "Breaking Even" mission silently. On "Bingo Fuel" they hear silenced kills from 100m away and run to my position like bloodhounds (see picture).

Is there a way to turn down the (stealth kill) awareness to the level of the 0.16 Version? I would like to compare the config.sqf but I unfortunately erased the old 0.16 copy.

Edited by max1944

I switched from 0.16 to 0.17 and now the AI is incredibly aware of stealth kills (with suppressors). It is now impossible to eliminate the two guards on the "Breaking Even" mission silently. On "Bingo Fuel" they hear silenced kills from 100m and run to my position like bloodhounds.

Thanks for reporting, i'll doublecheck this.

Could you meanwhile provide a link with the old 0.16 version?

Edited by max1944

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R7V2QkvL1E&feature=youtu.be

This shows that ai can see with no nvgs with recent test of Bcombat 0.17....

Well, to be fair this video almost proves that with bCombat AI is actually unable to see well at night without NVGs.

Infact you were able to move to about 75 meters in front of an enemy AI squad, on open terrain, without even alerting them ...

So in my opinion night sight is ok.

What i think may deserve some tuning down is how AI units are able to pinpoint gunfire (at short distance) by hearing only, when not directly facing the shooter.

Video won't help in this case, since you were firing basically in front of some enemies, so they can see your muzzle flash. Distance is very close too.

This gives out your approximate position and from such a short distance even some inaccurate suppressive / blind fire would catch you easily.

A better test would be ambushing enemy units from back and from no closer than about 100 meters in my opinion (*), unless we over-existimate the efficiency of suppressors.

I'm doing a few tests with such a scenario, in order to evaluate enemy reaction.

(*) I was told by a "pro" that a suppressed SMG "thud" can be clearly heard in a silent environment even at about 50 meters.

Not sure whether that's true or not, but that's the info i was given.

---------- Post added at 13:24 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

EDIT:

After testing, i've not seen major issues with night visibility / audibility in v0.17 RC.

This said, a minor issue exists, related to muzzle visibility for silenced weapons.

It makes AI units a bit too efficient in seeing incoming fire from silenced weapons.

This has been fixed in my internal testing build.

Fix to be released with next build.

Edited by fabrizio_T