fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

Thought about a STEAM release Fab ?

Thought it. Did it ;)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=314397752

Steam support is a bit cumbersome though.

For instance config.sqf (if you manually copy it) is going to be removed on mod auto-update, it seems. Not handy :(

---------- Post added at 17:21 ---------- Previous post was at 17:20 ----------

Fabrizio, I am very pleased by improvements in AI responsiveness. Medics heal ASAP and the rest also felt very good. Keep it up. Love it.

Thank you, your feedback is highly appreciated.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

Hopefully a non-PWS version too :)

Care to clarify?

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:22 ----------

You may expect some insights on the features of v0.17, as much changed under the hood, ranging from hearing to investigate behaviour, to prioritization of special actions (heal, support), blind / suppressive fire and fire vs. movement balancing. Explanations will come.

For the moment let me enumerate a few new settings introcuced into config.sqf: with the current RC:

bcombat_stance_prone_min_distance = 50;    		// (Meters) Disallows AI to go prone as areaction to suppression events under the specified distance (distance is computed from nearest enemy)
bcombat_skill_multiplier = 1;    				// (0-1) It's intended to reduce skill value at will. Unit skill is multiplied by this value. It affects accuracy as well.
bcombat_skill_linearity = 1.5;    				// (0-1) linearity of skill: final skill is ( <original skill> * <bcombat_skill_multiplier> ) ^ <bcombat_skill_linearity>. It affects accuracy as well. 
bcombat_skill_min_player_group = 0.5;			// (0-1) enforce minimum skill for units in player group. Meant to counterbalance the effectiveness of AI led groups.

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:32 ----------

Thanks man! It's you who should receive 0.8 of what I paid for my copy of ArmA 3.

Keep it for ArmA4 ;)

It does work, as long as you run it on server only (e.g. no player led AI groups).

Which errors occur when having clients also use it with player led AI?

killswitch;2789453']Which errors occur when having clients also use it with player led AI?

There would be be locality issues.

So i won't encourage doing this.

Fabrizio, could you comment on the following?

In the infantry showcase, unedited regular level, using bCombat significantly changes the AI behavior but moderately influences the balance in the mission, I.e. I still lose my squad before reaching the village and struggle to survive upon entering the village, similarly to vanilla arma 3. But when I throw in the 556 762 ammo damage mod it changes everything dramatically. Enemy AI gets obliterated and my whole squad manages to reach the village without much effort on my part.

How would you explain this?

Fabrizio, could you comment on the following?

In the infantry showcase, unedited regular level, using bCombat significantly changes the AI behavior but moderately influences the balance in the mission, I.e. I still lose my squad before reaching the village and struggle to survive upon entering the village, similarly to vanilla arma 3. But when I throw in the 556 762 ammo damage mod it changes everything dramatically. Enemy AI gets obliterated and my whole squad manages to reach the village without much effort on my part.

How would you explain this?

It's weird, i'm not sure what 556 762 mod is actually doing, but i consider the final outcome to be wrong.

BLUFOR is not supposed to win that scenario in my opinion (sure Player can outweight this, but AI vs AI wise that's it).

Basically BLUFOR attacks frontally from lower ground an entrenched enemy who has recon units patrolling higher ground. Last but not least balance of forces favours the defender.

Looks to me an "arcadish" scenario which is designed to be challenging for the player, but tactically absurd.

EDIT: that's my 2 cents obviously.

Edited by fabrizio_T

It's weird, i'm not sure what 556 762 mod is actually doing, but i consider the final outcome to be wrong.

BLUFOR is not supposed to win that scenario in my opinion (sure Player can outweight this, but AI vs AI wise that's it).

Basically BLUFOR attacks frontally from lower ground an entrenched enemy who has recon units patrolling higher ground. Last but not least balance of forces favours the defender.

Looks to me an "arcadish" scenario which is designed to be challenging for the player, but tactically absurd.

EDIT: that's my 2 cents obviously.

It increases damage inflicted by popular rifle ammo.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24204

Anyway, I thought this weird outcome could tell you something useful about AI in ArmA.

Speaking of which. Your mod I said to decrease AI precision. Care to elaborate?

It increases damage inflicted by popular rifle ammo.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=24204

Anyway, I thought this weird outcome could tell you something useful about AI in ArmA.

Speaking of which. Your mod I said to decrease AI precision. Care to elaborate?

I would say it's influencing AI indirectly, by just altering bullets lethality.

Or better said it alters the balance of lethality across sides.

Within bCombat accuracy in average is lower than vanilla.

This happens primarily because units are usually in a suppressed state, ranging from light to severe.

Any suppression state causes degradation in accuracy, courage, skill in general.

Wounds also account for accuracy reduction.

Another cause of indirect reduction in accuracy is that AI units do suppressive fire (they do it massively in v0.17RC).

AI units do blind fire and fire when slowly moving. This kind of shooting is obviously pretty inaccurate.

The experimentally verified lethality of a single bullet within bCombat, on regular settings, ranges in average from 0,03 to 0,01, meaning you get 1 casualty each 30 to 100 bullets fired.

Compared to vanilla that's a pretty forgiving, conservative percentage.

I'd consider this as an improvement, as it allows for tactical movement.

Shame accuracy in ArmA3 seems to work contrary to reality: much accurate at long range, way too inaccurate at point blank.

I hope BIS will finally nail a better balance.

Edited by fabrizio_T

I'm surprised and honoured that bCombat is at the moment the most popular ArmA3 addon of the day (2nd in the week) on Steam Workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?searchtext=&childpublishedfileid=0&section=items&appid=107410&browsesort=trend&requiredtags%5B0%5D=Addon&p=1&days=1

I't a small thing and will last just for a split-second, but feels important to me. That's incredible.

Thank you to everybody who subscribed, i hope you enjoy this stuff.

This, as well as support shown from people here over time is really motivating for me.

Thank you again, people.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Could you tell me where i change the IA skill

because suddenly i notice the ia precission its horribly low although :confused: I do not think that this is related with the mod because Strangely enough,

The same thing happens with other IA mod

my game options are:

skill 0,75

precission 0,45

any advice I'd really appreciate it.

I also like the new he suppression increases.

sorry my English

salute

I'm surprised and honoured that bCombat is at the moment the most popular ArmA3 addon of the day (2nd in the week) on Steam Workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?searchtext=&childpublishedfileid=0§ion=items&appid=107410&browsesort=trend&requiredtags%5B0%5D=Addon&p=1&days=1

I't a small thing and will last just for a split-second, but feels important to me. That's incredible.

Thank you to everybody who subscribed, i hope you enjoy this stuff.

This, as well as support shown from people here over time is really motivating for me.

Thank you again, people.

It shows how much important is AI for Arma community.

Could you tell me where i change the IA skill

because suddenly i notice the ia precission its horribly low although :confused: I do not think that this is related with the mod because Strangely enough,

The same thing happens with other IA mod

my game options are:

skill 0,75

precission 0,45

any advice I'd really appreciate it.

I also like the new he suppression increases.

sorry my English

salute

You have an extremely low precision value (0,45) in game options.

Please revert your settings to regular or veteran, this should solve the issue.

Take care.

You have an extremely low precision value (0,45) in game options.

Please revert your settings to regular or veteran, this should solve the issue.

Take care.

Interesting, as for me, 0.35 is still fairly accurate. I have reported, during the times of difficulty interface changes, that precision value has negligible effect on accuracy.

Interesting, as for me, 0.35 is still fairly accurate. I have reported, during the times of difficulty interface changes, that precision value has negligible effect on accuracy.

It does make less difference, yet accuracy is affected, at least in my case.

I just did a comparative check, with precision = 0.35 vs "normal" precision (it should be about 0,70).

3 run each on assault on Charkia, bCombat v.0.17RC:

precision=0.35: minimum 2 casualties, maximum 4 casualties for 1000 bullets fired.

precision=normal: minimum 7 casualties, maximum 12 casualties for 1000 bullets fired.

3 runs is not enough to get reliable results, but i definitely can see some difference.

Edited by fabrizio_T

It does make less difference, yet accuracy is affected, at least in my case.

I just did a comparative check, with precision = 0.35 vs "normal" precision (it should be about 0,70).

3 run each on assault on Charkia, bCombat v.0.17RC:

precision=0.35: minimum 2 casualties, maximum 4 casualties for 1000 bullets fired.

precision=normal: minimum 7 casualties, maximum 12 casualties for 1000 bullets fired.

3 runs is not enough to get reliable results, but i definitely can see some difference.

You should probably test it in isolated cases with bullet tracking scripts. Combat is too dynamic for this.

You should probably test it in isolated cases with bullet tracking scripts. Combat is too dynamic for this.

i have an AI targetRange mission i made originally for ArmA2/FlexAI accuracy testing buried somewhere.

It would come in handy to doublecheck this if i'm able to find it ...

EDIT: the data i posted was calculated based on bullet tracking though (bDetect output).

Edited by fabrizio_T

i have an AI targetRange mission i made originally for ArmA2/FlexAI accuracy testing buried somewhere.

It would come in handy to doublecheck this if i'm able to find it ...

EDIT: the data i posted was calculated based on bullet tracking though (bDetect output).

Tell me the results when ready. I am interested in your findings. Thanks.

i feel now the difference with 0.70 precision hehe

thank you Fabrizio

Hi Fabrizio!

Congratulations on the Steam Workshop poplarity! I install manually but I've subscribed and rated your mod.

A question. You said the damage adjustor mod I've linked affects AI/balance in an odd manner so I've ditched it (based on the infantry showcase example). What damage multiplier values for bCombat would you personally recommend? Won't increasing it trigger sume inadvertent effects e.g. make 20 mm cannons wipe out buildings or something? :)

Hey Fab,

got some of these in my rpt.log, maybe you know what to do with it :)

Error in expression <unit) in ["SAFE", "CARELESS"] ) then

{

if( { !(isPlayer (leader _unit)) } ) t>

Error position: <if( { !(isPlayer (leader _unit)) } ) t>

Error if: Type code, expected Bool

File @bcombat\lib\suppression.sqf, line 109

Error in expression <unit) in ["SAFE", "CARELESS"] ) then

Hey Fab,

got some of these in my rpt.log, maybe you know what to do with it :)

Hi,

i am aware of that problem, more a hassle than an issue.

It's already fixed, you just have to re-download the package from GitHub, or just the bcombat.pbo.

See my previous message for reference:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?171436-OPEN-BETA-SP-bCombat-infantry-AI-Mod&p=2788710&viewfull=1#post2788710

---------- Post added at 07:10 ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 ----------

Hi Fabrizio!

Congratulations on the Steam Workshop poplarity! I install manually but I've subscribed and rated your mod.

A question. You said the damage adjustor mod I've linked affects AI/balance in an odd manner so I've ditched it (based on the infantry showcase example). What damage multiplier values for bCombat would you personally recommend? Won't increasing it trigger sume inadvertent effects e.g. make 20 mm cannons wipe out buildings or something? :)

Personally i keep damage multiplier to default, since i how BIS will finally fix damage values.

Altering it however won't affect anything else than infantry units on foot (it changes the amount of received damage, not the power of the bullet).

Edited by fabrizio_T

Thanks again for informing us about the updated version mate and sorry for the delay (see email reply) :cool:

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!