fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

2 things:

1. Do units lose skill when they take hits?

Yes

2. Would it be possible to change the AI rate of fire? I find the autoriflemen run out of ammo insanely quickly.

I'd say this falls under mission design more than a need for radical changes like RoF. Don't want your MGers to run out of ammo? Run an ammo support unit beside him, or give him a ruck with more of it.

I'd say this falls under mission design more than a need for radical changes like RoF. Don't want your MGers to run out of ammo? Run an ammo support unit beside him, or give him a ruck with more of it.

What if I have no control over this, if I want to play with other user made missions? Plus its a major pain in the ass to get them to take ammo from other units.

This is what has to happen in real life, so why should it be any different in arma3?

This is what has to happen in real life, so why should it be any different in arma3?

Because in real life its possible to control the rate of fire your machine gunners are firing at? Because you don't have to micromanage your subordinates to an insane degree in real life just to get them to pass over ammunition? If the AI just went over to the nearest ammo bearer and took the ammunition when they needed it, or the ammo bearer went over to them automatically, then I could see your point, but they don't. Even before we factor in that in a lot of missions, it's not accounted for at all.

Because in real life its possible to control the rate of fire your machine gunners are firing at? Because you don't have to micromanage your subordinates to an insane degree in real life just to get them to pass over ammunition? If the AI just went over to the nearest ammo bearer and took the ammunition when they needed it, or the ammo bearer went over to them automatically, then I could see your point, but they don't. Even before we factor in that in a lot of missions, it's not accounted for at all.

I've experimented a bit with tweaking AI rate of fire by script, with poor results.

Looks to me a tweak it's unlikely to work, unless done at weapon config level. Which is something i dislike.

I am always amazed how can anybody put out such a stupid statement. This is incredible. Incredible.

Is it possible to have a script that every one in a while split the ammo between the squad (except the player)?

This is not much realistic but it would be an acceptable compromise I think

I am always amazed how can anybody put out such a stupid statement. This is incredible. Incredible.

Did you forget the /sarcasm part ?

Did you forget the /sarcasm part ?

Completely, man. Thanks for letting me know. I thought that it was strange that YOU wrote it. Hard to tell what is sarcasm when put in text.

I've been running some tests with 0.16 now both in singleplayer (mostly editor) and our dedicated server and I'm experiencing some issues concerning the detection features (in sp and mp) - the sceanrios contain the player and an enemy group with no waypoints ore other features. bcombat is definitively running (debug enabled, startup hint showing), no other mods except CBA were running-

So while firing at at an enemy group (without actually hitting someone) in ranges from 150 to 500 meters i experienced problems like:

- the units were no not suppressed at all (debug balls stayed white) or

- the soldiers in range of the bullet are suppressed, lay down but then stand up again (not alerted) like nothing happened- rest of the units dont even move a foot

- additional to this units not seem to hear gunshots and also not investigating, although in range (also tested with higher ranges, lower hearing coefficent)...

Since I experienced problems both in SP and MP I really dont know what causes this problems - So if anybody experienced similar issues or can think of a sulution fell free to share your thougts

regards

What happens if you give them a simple waypoint? Just curious.

Two questions:

Is there any particular reason this isn't on Play withSIX?

Is this mod compatible with Iron Front for Arma 3?

I'll be checking this out when I come back from holiday so I'll probably find out but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

killswitch;2693015']I've been running some tests with 0.16 now both in singleplayer (mostly editor) and our dedicated server and I'm experiencing some issues concerning the detection features (in sp and mp) - the sceanrios contain the player and an enemy group with no waypoints ore other features. bcombat is definitively running (debug enabled' date=' startup hint showing), no other mods except CBA were running-

So while firing at at an enemy group (without actually hitting someone) in ranges from 150 to 500 meters i experienced problems like:

- the units were no not suppressed at all (debug balls stayed white) or

- the soldiers in range of the bullet are suppressed, lay down but then stand up again (not alerted) like nothing happened- rest of the units dont even move a foot

- additional to this units not seem to hear gunshots and also not investigating, although in range (also tested with higher ranges, lower hearing coefficent)...

Since I experienced problems both in SP and MP I really dont know what causes this problems - So if anybody experienced similar issues or can think of a sulution fell free to share your thougts

regards[/quote']

According to BIS AI units without any waypoints are not completely initialized. Try giving them a waypoint as suggested.

That said seems to me something is possibily broken with your bCombat installation.

Please doublecheck bcombat_config.hpp is present within <Arma 3 folder>/userconfig/bcombat/.

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 16:11 ----------

Two questions:

Is there any particular reason this isn't on Play withSIX?

Is this mod compatible with Iron Front for Arma 3?

I'll be checking this out when I come back from holiday so I'll probably find out but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

It's not on withSIX because mod is not currently packaged into .pbo.

This is by design, as mod is BETA and keeping it unpackaged allows for config.sqf variables tweaking without the need of restarting the game (you just reload the mission).

Not sure about IF compatibility.

not on withSIX because mod is not currently packaged into .pbo.

This is by design, as mod is BETA and keeping it unpackaged allows for config.sqf variables tweaking without the need of restarting the game (you just reload the mission).

Not sure about IF compatibility.

Firstly, thanks for answering my questions. I just tried some basic missions in the editor and I'm extremely impressed! It blows my mind that something like this was not part of the original game, the difference is astounding.

When I have more time tomorrow I'll check if it works with IF, thanks again.

EDIT: Have successfully tested with Iron Front. Downside to this mod is the drop in frames, I guess now that the AI actually has half a brain my CPU is being put through its paces. Its a shame because it means I cannot record footage at an acceptable frame rate. Kudos though, the mod is an incredible improvement to the AI.

Edited by TotalEclipse

The mod doesn't show up in the Expansions menu ingame even though i extracted everything to where it's supposed to be. What am i doing wrong?

The mod doesn't show up in the Expansions menu ingame even though i extracted everything to where it's supposed to be. What am i doing wrong?

Can you describe exactly your file order ie. Program Files/Arma3/@bcombat/addons

If I remember correctly, last time I installed I had to create the @bcombat folder

Can you describe exactly your file order

I tried to write down the file order but the forum said it was a link and i am not allowed to post links, i can't even quote your post. :butbut:

I have my [at]bcombat folder in steamapps[slash]common[slash]Arma 3 and in that folder are the folders addons, fsm and lib along with some files (paa, sqf, txt etc.)

I also copied the userconfig folder into steamapps[slash]common[slash]Arma 3 and inside userconfig[slash]bcombat is bcombat_config.hpp

Isn't this the correct placement?

I haven't played and modded a BIS game since the original Flashpoint so i am very confused.

I tried to write down the file order but the forum said it was a link and i am not allowed to post links, i can't even quote your post. :butbut:

I have my [at]bcombat folder in steamapps[slash]common[slash]Arma 3 and in that folder are the folders addons, fsm and lib along with some files (paa, sqf, txt etc.)

I also copied the userconfig folder into steamapps[slash]common[slash]Arma 3 and inside userconfig[slash]bcombat is bcombat_config.hpp

Isn't this the correct placement?

I haven't played and modded a BIS game since the original Flashpoint so i am very confused.

Hi, copy bcombat folder into your main arma 3 folder (the one in steamapps/common etc.) Make sure its called "@bcombat". Open it....inside you will find "userconfig", cut it and paste is into your main arma 3 folder. Now all you need is to place "modline" to your shortcut or use custom luncher (Arma 3 launcher by head is a good one)

About that modline - this is taken from armaholic : You'll also need add a Launch Parameter to Steam, in order to do so right-click on ArmA 3 Alpha and click Properties and then Set Launch Options. In the window that opens enter in: -mod=@mod_name

this is a short guide on installing mods :) http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=20866

If you still need some guidance, send me a personal message and i ll try to help best to my ability (though my time is limited, im learning for finals :D)

Thank you! I didn't know i needed a launch parameter. It works now. Splendid!

fab, i really love your mod. i play a lot using enemy occupation system (EOS). within the EOS folder, there is an AI_Skill sqf. does this file conflict with bcombat? does it alter the behavior of eos units when used concurrently with bcombat?

any feedback regarding this?

any feedback regarding this?

I don't run EOS, so i don't know specifically.

However any mod tweaking AI skills will alter bCombat presets.

That does not means it will break it.

---

Just a small update: i've recently published a few changes into v0.17DEV GitHub branch.

Target prioritization tuned and some presets changed for performance.

Check it at your risk, it's DEV quality.

I'm further working on radio communication, i'd like to get it done "right" (e.g. no instant communications between groups, dampened accuracy in position reporting for far units ).

Edited by fabrizio_T

I don't run EOS, so i don't know specifically.

However any mod tweaking AI skills will alter bCombat presets.

That does not means it will break it.

---

Just a small update: i've recently published a few changes into v0.17DEV GitHub branch.

Target prioritization tuned and some presets changed for performance.

Check it at your risk, it's DEV quality.

I'm further working on radio communication, i'd like to get it done "right" (e.g. no instant communications between groups, dampened accuracy in position reporting for far units ).

This is good news on bCombat updates.

I know it's a SP version but somepeople said it's working at MP Also,The question is, Should all player need bCombat or only server side need it.

hmm im dabbling over using this and ASR... This sounds impressive and has received good applause.

However im really looking for a mod which other than ai features - has an auto healing medic.. Will this include this soon, or has already.

Cheers

I think the automedic is something that the community have wanted/needed for a long time. As much as I would love Fab to add it into bCombat I don't think it fits the scope of the project. However if we could convince him to make one (that would fit seamlessly with bCombat) then that is another matter ;)