fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

bCommand should (eventually) take care of broader tactics and lesser strategy, meaning groups level instead of unit level (=bCombat).

Focus would be on threat evaluation and decision making.

I really hope somebody else will do this effectively in the meantime. Less work for me ;)

So I understand that you are comming back to flexi AI concept ? :)

^^ I think that would be a superb idea, once bCombat is 'finished'.

So I understand that you are comming back to flexi AI concept ? :)

Well, bCombat was born by accident: working on FlexAI / ArmA2 (e.g.

) at some point i started feeling AI just didn't worked fine, at unit level.

Basically AI behaviour and survivability were bad due to accuracy being too high, stance handling being poor, units prone to frantically fire on anything into view, no suppressive fire nor (appreciable) suppression effect, uneffective usage of cover, robotic reactions, ...

All these issues had negative effects on the tactical level, managed by FlexAI:

* there was no point on flanking, since AI was not penalized by being fired on flank / back;

* there was no point on trying suppressing enemy, since it did not suffer any penalty;

* AI maneuvering was hindered by all the above problems;

So in order to get FlexAI working i had to try to address these problems first. It was 2011 and ArmA3 had to come.

Here goes bCombat.

I guess time will come to go back to the root and further develop FlexAI / bCommand. I have no hurry.

There's plenty of stuff to be done already within bCombat, which proved to me a massive task.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Any other Mods?

Yep shit loads... But no other Ai mods.

SJ

Yep shit loads... But no other Ai mods.

SJ

Yeah same on our side but the mod didn´t seem to work. Especially not with spawned units.

fabrizio, I just wonder if you are going to eventually submit bCombat to MANW contest. If yes, count on my vote and support.

fabrizio, I just wonder if you are going to eventually submit bCombat to MANW contest. If yes, count on my vote and support.

Well, maybe i'm wrong, but i guess bCombat does not fit any of the contest categories?

Well, maybe i'm wrong, but i guess bCombat does not fit any of the contest categories?

Oh, I didn't think about it. I read the rules but don't remember anything about your mod not being fit for the contest. Will read the rules again.

Ive got two questions.

I was thinking about use bCombat with MCC generated missions - anybody tested it ? Is there is any conflicts, do i need to disable some features in bCombat cfg ?

And second questions is about multiplayer...As far im trying to follow this thread, i know there is no problems, but I want to know, do I need to disable some features to make it work ? I just want to play some 3 players coop missions with my friends ;)

Thanks in advance for your answer.

Edited by potemps
my poor totally unprofessional english language :)

I have been using bCombat for some time. I was using 0.15 until today, but decided to upgrade. I noticed 0.16 seems much easier, which I suspect seems to be because my team mates seem much better. Anyone else confirm?

How can I bring back the difficulty, any suggestions? Perhaps I should play with custom difficulty settings? Are there any suggested play settings?

I'm play on the beta branch - I know it isn't recommended but I like the daily changes :)

Hey Fabrizio_T,

First I must say I totally love bCombat. It provides some painfully missed "intellect" to the AI and thus gives a much more believable feeling to the whole of the game.

Now to prevent you from drowning in praise (it must suffice to say I would rather not play ArmA3 without your mod from now on), to the point at hand:

Just for you and others to note, in the Campaign pt.2, mission "breaking even" your mod seems to set the AI to a level of alertness, that breaks some mission script. Whatever you do in the beginning of said mission (hold fire/open fire), it makes no matter.

Whether you stayed fire or opened fire, the radio goes "dammit Omega...", either because "Slingshot" thinks you shot to early or not in time. There seems to be no way to fullfill your initial objective whatsoever.

After I deactivated bCombat (and bCombat alone) all went as intended, so I'm pretty sure it is directly related to your mod.

Please do not take this as any form of criticism. I just wanted to have this point noted so others need not wonder...

I am very curious reagarding the further developement of bCombat.

All the best!

Would it be possible to add in ASR style skill groups for different types of soldiers?

Hey Fabrizio_T,

First I must say I totally love bCombat. It provides some painfully missed "intellect" to the AI and thus gives a much more believable feeling to the whole of the game.

Now to prevent you from drowning in praise (it must suffice to say I would rather not play ArmA3 without your mod from now on), to the point at hand:

Just for you and others to note, in the Campaign pt.2, mission "breaking even" your mod seems to set the AI to a level of alertness, that breaks some mission script. Whatever you do in the beginning of said mission (hold fire/open fire), it makes no matter.

Whether you stayed fire or opened fire, the radio goes "dammit Omega...", either because "Slingshot" thinks you shot to early or not in time. There seems to be no way to fullfill your initial objective whatsoever.

After I deactivated bCombat (and bCombat alone) all went as intended, so I'm pretty sure it is directly related to your mod.

Please do not take this as any form of criticism. I just wanted to have this point noted so others need not wonder...

I am very curious reagarding the further developement of bCombat.

All the best!

Thank you for feedback, i'll check out that mission again.

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 13:48 ----------

I have been using bCombat for some time. I was using 0.15 until today, but decided to upgrade. I noticed 0.16 seems much easier, which I suspect seems to be because my team mates seem much better. Anyone else confirm?

How can I bring back the difficulty, any suggestions? Perhaps I should play with custom difficulty settings? Are there any suggested play settings?

I'm play on the beta branch - I know it isn't recommended but I like the daily changes :)

Try playing on veteran settings, unless you're already doing this.

If so, you may want to tweak skill settings within userconfig\bcombat\bcombat_config.hpp.

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

Ive got two questions.

I was thinking about use bCombat with MCC generated missions - anybody tested it ? Is there is any conflicts, do i need to disable some features in bCombat cfg ?

And second questions is about multiplayer...As far im trying to follow this thread, i know there is no problems, but I want to know, do I need to disable some features to make it work ? I just want to play some 3 players coop missions with my friends ;)

Thanks in advance for your answer.

About MP: this is untested by me, but many people report bCombat working fine.

For sure you have to disable fancy_moves.

Can't comment about MCC.

---------- Post added at 13:54 ---------- Previous post was at 13:51 ----------

Would it be possible to add in ASR style skill groups for different types of soldiers?

Do you mean somewhat randomizing units' skill across groups?

Do you mean somewhat randomizing units' skill across groups?

So you could have it so, say a BLUFOR SF soldier, is more skilled than an insurgent. But actually, some form of skill randomisation would be good.

So you could have it so, say a BLUFOR SF soldier, is more skilled than an insurgent. But actually, some form of skill randomisation would be good.

a good way to implement this is to have AI with lower skill set be more reckless and insurgent like while a full skilled soldier is like Navy Seals or MARSOC or even 75th Rangers

It might be good if there was some form of modifier so that the higher the skill level, the less the various morale modifiers affected them. Be a nice way to simulate hardened veterans vs green troops.

It might be good if there was some form of modifier so that the higher the skill level, the less the various morale modifiers affected them. Be a nice way to simulate hardened veterans vs green troops.

bCombat works this way already.

Morale penalties are roughly inversely proportional to skills.

Thanks for a great mod! As a "editor player", It really saves me a lot of nerves. Does it influence the behavior of AT and AA soldiers in any way? Some people say they notice a difference, but not me. If not, would it be possible for you to include an option to force units with launchers to use them immediately on spotting a motor enemy? They get super frustrated and stupid every time I play.

Hi Fabrizio

Great mod, just starting to play with the settings. One issue - the bcombat_allow_friendly_capped_damage parameter does not seem to have any effect, whether set at 0, 1, or anything in between. Moreover, whatever I set it to it inactivates kju's "DisabledFriendlyFire_Server_F_PvPscene" addon. This works fine in A3 (unless bcombat is running) either alone or with various mods like asr_ai3, tpwcas, etc. Nothing in the RPT to suggest that anything is kaput.

I've been using the Combined Arms Showcase to test various addons - one thing that happens is that the choppers drift while unloading & mash some of the grunts. Plus the usual problem of AI drivers (in this mission, the AMV Marshall) cheerfully running over allied infantry.

Cheers

Orc

A3 v1.18.

I've been using the Combined Arms Showcase to test various addons - one thing that happens is that the choppers drift while unloading & mash some of the grunts. Plus the usual problem of AI drivers (in this mission, the AMV Marshall) cheerfully running over allied infantry.

I think bCombat only affects infantry AI, not vehicles.

Thanks for a great mod! As a "editor player", It really saves me a lot of nerves. Does it influence the behavior of AT and AA soldiers in any way? Some people say they notice a difference, but not me. If not, would it be possible for you to include an option to force units with launchers to use them immediately on spotting a motor enemy? They get super frustrated and stupid every time I play.

AT/AA units are not explicitly ordered to do anything special.

That said, bCombat strengthens targeting: this means that as long as some unit is ordered to target something and target is in sight, it's more likely to aggressively attack it.

This is specially true for low distance engagement and applies to any infantrymen, including to AA/AT units.

So you may spot differences or not, it really depends on which orders leader is giving to its troops.

Leader's skill matters as well as units skill.

It would be useful to be able to force AT to do anything, but usually this des not work as intended (e.g. units keep switching weapon and/or refuse to fire even if ordered to).

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 ----------

Hi Fabrizio

Great mod, just starting to play with the settings. One issue - the bcombat_allow_friendly_capped_damage parameter does not seem to have any effect, whether set at 0, 1, or anything in between. Moreover, whatever I set it to it inactivates kju's "DisabledFriendlyFire_Server_F_PvPscene" addon. This works fine in A3 (unless bcombat is running) either alone or with various mods like asr_ai3, tpwcas, etc. Nothing in the RPT to suggest that anything is kaput.

Cheers

Orc

A3 v1.18.

bcombat_allow_friendly_capped_damage sets the maximum damage any units may suffer from friendly fire (player fire excluded).

0.8 for instance means that units can get damaged no more than 80%.

Are you seeing units killed by AI friendly fire with bcombat_allow_friendly_capped_damage < 1?

By the way, bCombat does not mess with vehicles, it disables itself for units not on foot.

Out of pure curiosity what would happen if it didn't disable itself when a unit enters a vehicle?

Out of pure curiosity what would happen if it didn't disable itself when a unit enters a vehicle?

I'd say we would see tank drivers would getting suppressed by light arms fire ...

That's just an example.

fab, i really love your mod. i play a lot using enemy occupation system (EOS). within the EOS folder, there is an AI_Skill sqf. does this file conflict with bcombat? does it alter the behavior of eos units when used concurrently with bcombat?

2 things:

1. Do units lose skill when they take hits?

2. Would it be possible to change the AI rate of fire? I find the autoriflemen run out of ammo insanely quickly.