fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

killswitch;2674575']do the max_proximity and height also change the triggerdistances for the bullet penalty?

Of course.

Love this mod, ive been using it in tests of my USMC mod, especially testing to make sure the UN in the mod can actually fight,

Try these values

bdetect_bullet_max_proximity = 4.5; // (Meters) Maximum distance from unit for bullet (to cause suppression)

bdetect_bullet_max_height = 4.5; // (Meters) Maximum height on ground for bullet (to cause suppression)

bcombat_suppressive_fire_distance = [50, 200]; // (Array) [minimum distance from target, maximum distance from target]

bcombat_targeting_max_distance = [50, 200]; // (Array) [ maximum distance, maximum distance if combatMode is "RED"]

So found in using these that the fight last a bit longer smarter choices are made by the AI and reactions faster...

bCombat v0.16 final was just released. Pick it from here or go to first thread page.

Please remove any previous versions and stick to installation instructions.

Changelog:

v0.16 (FINAL)
-------------

Core features:

* New: Introduced a strong morale penalty for units surprised by enemy fire while in SAFE/CARELESS mode.
* Tweaked: Minor code optimizations.
* Tweaked: Slightly higher AI firing accuracy.
* Tweaked: Units more likely to open fire on nearby threats in CQB.

Great news! Thank you very much.

Fab_T, you must be just just about immune to praise by now, but I'll heap some more upon you anyway. This mod should just be part of the game engine, pure and simple.

Anyway, I have encountered one small bug related to your new surprise feature (I think), and that is if I manage to sneak up on some enemies and surprise them with fire then I get sidechat messages "..penalty for SAFE mode applied", even though I have debugging turned off.

If you're short of ideas for future releases, can I suggest a bit of FSM tweaking so that units only walk around with raised weapons in STEALTH or DANGER mode.

Molto bene grazie!

Was playing with the latest 0.16 last night and they were completely kicking ass. Never seen a firefight like it!

Heh my guys think I'm using Zeus and driving them myself. - lol too good :-)

Fab_T, you must be just just about immune to praise by now, but I'll heap some more upon you anyway. This mod should just be part of the game engine, pure and simple.

Anyway, I have encountered one small bug related to your new surprise feature (I think), and that is if I manage to sneak up on some enemies and surprise them with fire then I get sidechat messages "..penalty for SAFE mode applied", even though I have debugging turned off.

If you're short of ideas for future releases, can I suggest a bit of FSM tweaking so that units only walk around with raised weapons in STEALTH or DANGER mode.

Molto bene grazie!

Hi tpw,

thanks for your report, the issue has been hotfixed into v0.16 package, fix is already available as of now.

Please download the hotfixed v0.16 package (Link is unchanged).

Alternatively, if you wish to fix it the quick'n'dirty way, you may simply open lib/suppression.sqf and comment or remove the whole globalchat instruction contained into line 48.

Thx for appreciation and keep up the good work with your mods.

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Heh my guys think I'm using Zeus and driving them myself. - lol too good :-)

nice to hear this :)

Edited by fabrizio_T

If you would compare this AI mod with ASR_AI, what would be big differences be? I have used ASR_AI since A2OA and now run my A3 server with it, but i'd like to know all "big" AI mods out there.

If you would compare this AI mod with ASR_AI, what would be big differences be? I have used ASR_AI since A2OA and now run my A3 server with it, but i'd like to know all "big" AI mods out there.

Well matter is highly subjective, i'd suggest giving bCombat a quick try in order to personally judge the experience.

It's a matter of minutes. I'd suggest playing Assault on Charkia (take it from Steam Workshop) for an overview of the features.

----

While stable v0.16 is out, the brave may wish to check out v0.17 DEV ( on GitHub master branch ).

Difficulty and firing accuracy are ramped up a bit. CQB is even less forgiving (my thoughest experience so far).

Edited by fabrizio_T

Fab this is the best version yet 0.16 stable...The reactions so much better and the covering top notch...I had fun sniping with my Ai teammate they really put a hurting to the enemy Ai... Still Testing... My make a video of my experience will see, but just popping in here to give you a thumbs up:thumbs-up:

Fabrizio, congratulations - 0.16 is great step forward in your mod :) I want to ask, is there is any possibility to improve AI flanking behaviour in bCombat config file ? (i mean - is there is any line responsible for it)

Edited by potemps

Fabrizio, congratulations - 0.16 is great step forward in your mod :) I want to ask, is there is any possibility to improve AI flanking behaviour in bCombat config file ? (i mean - is there is any line responsible for it)

Flanking is part of maneuvering (fire & movement), so you can't directly address it with a single setting, it would be an over-simplification.

Flanking is effective only as long as it's well cohordinated with some fire action.

ArmA3 AI already includes flanking routines straight out of the box, but many issues cripple this neat feature.

Regarding flanking, bCombat does basically the following:

• Gives AI units more freedom to move: vanilla ArmA 3 units basically shoot on anything in view, whereas with bCombat "4D" criteria (Distance, Direction, Destination and Danger) are factored before taking any shots, hence movement ends playing a bigger role.
  • Allows multiple units to move and flank quicker (given some constraints), letting them individually using cover / moving to destination without formation needs dragging their movement to a crawl.
  • Adds overwatching units, laying suppressive fire and watching moving units. Overwatching units will target enemies threatening units from their group.
  • Lets units better move to cover along the way
  • Adds morale penalties so that units attacked from flank, back and/or high ground suffer behaviour degradation (in accuracy, courage, ...).

All in all it's more complex than that, but this may give a general idea.

bCombat does not introduce any explicit flanking destination (waypoints) though, since that's out-of-scope for a low-level AI mod and potentially mission-breaking.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Well matter is highly subjective, i'd suggest giving bCombat a quick try in order to personally judge the experience.

It's a matter of minutes. I'd suggest playing Assault on Charkia (take it from Steam Workshop) for an overview of the features.

I did just that fabrizio as i've been using ASR_AI since ArmA2 so getting me away from that is like me telling my mum i love her.....wouldn't happen! LOL! Anyway so far i'm impressed mate, ASR_AI is disabled.....and bCombat is currently in use, both are excellent AI mods in their own right! Keep up the good work mate, looking forward to future updates! ;)

To me, ASR AI does not do things right. I gave it a try and disabled it after a couple of minutes. Units were more or the less as dumb as in vanilla. The feeling (and that is a big part) was also wrong. Smoke grenades does not cut it and it looks awful when they deploy it in a so robot-like fasion.

bCombat is the first AI mod in the history of the series (!) I am satisfied with. No other mod comes close, in my opinion.

Huge up for fabrizio.

Edited by Bouben

Thanks again for informing us about the updated version mate :cool:

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

fabrizio:

I have noticed that AI is not using crouched run when moving. They used to do that but it is not happening anymore. They prefer to run normally (even under fire) and then crouch and go prone. I would love to have them running crouched again when in contact. The immersion was far better and unit survivability too.

Not sure what is causing it.

fabrizio:

I have noticed that AI is not using crouched run when moving. They used to do that but it is not happening anymore. They prefer to run normally (even under fire) and then crouch and go prone. I would love to have them running crouched again when in contact. The immersion was far better and unit survivability too.

Not sure what is causing it.

I'm not seeing major problems with stance, but that's subjective.

I guess animation tweaks made by BIS may have affected movement speed eventually, since nothing changed recently in bCombat stance-wise.

Units are still supposed to prefer moving crouched when in contact, while they're cleared to stand up to briefly sprint whenever needed.

However, a single threshold speed ( default is 3.6 m./sec. ) controls whether units should crouch/run or stand/sprint .

Try opening lib/common.sqf and look for line 1307, which reads:

case ( _time > _timeout_mid && _speed >= 3.6 ): {  // sprint

Change 3.6 to a slightly higher value, such as 3.8 or 4.0.

This way units will keep crouching longer, before threshold speed is reached.

Don't overdo it, units getting accidentally "locked" into crouch stance will run slower and tire faster: this would reduce their overall survivability.

Please keep in mind that bCombat custom stance handling kicks in after unit is being fired upon or when some special .fsm events are triggered.

Custom stance handling times out if no further events happen in a while, so you will still see some standing behaviour whenever vanilla behaviour kicks back in.

Edited by fabrizio_T

I'm not seeing major problems with stance, but that's subjective.

I guess animation tweaks made by BIS may have affected movement speed eventually, since nothing changed recently in bCombat stance-wise.

Units are still supposed to prefer moving crouched when in contact, while they're cleared to stand up to briefly sprint whenever needed.

However, a single threshold speed ( default is 3.6 m./sec. ) controls whether units should crouch/run or stand/sprint .

Try opening lib/common.sqf and look for line 1307, which reads:

case ( _time > _timeout_mid && _speed >= 3.6 ): {  // sprint

Change 3.6 to a slightly higher value, such as 3.8 or 4.0.

This way units will keep crouching longer, before threshold speed is reached.

Don't overdo it, units getting accidentally "locked" into crouch stance will run slower and tire faster: this would reduce their overall survivability.

Please keep in mind that bCombat custom stance handling kicks in after unit is being fired upon or when some special .fsm events are triggered.

Custom stance handling times out if no further events happen in a while, so you will still see some standing behaviour whenever vanilla behaviour kicks back in.

Thanks, will try that.

Right now, they stand up even when under fire and I know that it used to be different. Will see what the config can do.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:40 ----------

OK, I have changed it to 4.0 and it is much better. Thanks, fabrizio.

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

fabrizio, do you have any plans to tweak infantry behaviour when attacked by enemy vehicles and they have no means of destroy it?

How crucial is for an infantry to not move when prone in order to not be spotted by a vehicle? Also, does FLIR really help AI enemy vehicles a lot?

Edited by Bouben

I love the mod, it really opens up the battlefield and makes it much more dynamic, but the game still has that meat-grinder feel to it since the OFP days. I can't play a mission without losing most of my squad, especially if the AI is leading. It's possible to minimize casualties with micro-management as a squad leader, but it feels t forced.

For Arma3 my baseline is the Combined Arms showcase. Right now even wit the AI set to novice by the end of securing the base there was a total of 4 AI left. That just doesn't feel right. I'll accept some casualties, but there has to be a way to make the friendly AI better at surviving the battle.