fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

hmm, we run on a dedicated 24/7 server with no troubles, but as you suggest this is a windows based box... ?

SJ

@Fabrizio..

I m testing this with Rydygier's Pilgrimage mission.

(*I m not running other AI behavior mods)

To be honest..i was (negatively)surprised when i tried to take by surprise 3 enemy AI's sitting around a campfire.

It was nearly impossible.

In a time frame of 3-5 seconds-most of the times the 3rd person could get me with sniper's precision.

No..i like the AI as a formidable opponent but as a suggestion..maybe there should be a more

obvious penalty on reaction times/precision when AI is attacked by surprise.

I've been testing it in Multiplayer with a friend of mine and we were positively surprised. I really thought there would be some issues, but we experienced none. Absolutely no problems and everything was working as intended. We didn't try anything fancy like J.I.P. though.

As for the mod itself, I'm quite happy with it. There's really nothing I would change. When enemies are suprised they do react quickly (like humans would), but aren't too accurate (which again is what a human reaction would look like). Suppression finally has some effect, infantry isn't as dumb as it used to be, it's really starting to feel like you're fighting players. Mission accomplished, I think :)

Thanks for this great mod, I'll never play without it again.

@Fabrizio..

To be honest..i was (negatively)surprised when i tried to take by surprise 3 enemy AI's sitting around a campfire.

In a time frame of 3-5 seconds-most of the times the 3rd person could get me with sniper's precision.

No..i like the AI as a formidable opponent but as a suggestion..maybe there should be a more

OK so what are your AI settings ? Skills etc ?

'lo Krem

I m playing on Veteran with approx. 0.7 skill // ~0.7 precision

Either way i think AI skills are overridden by @bcombat (*look at userconfig)

The enemySkill and enemyPrecision values can't be overwritten. CfgAISkill (that's what the userconfig is modifying) just interpolates your enemySkill/enemyPrecision and the mission editor skill/skill set via setSkill.

The enemySkill and enemyPrecision values can't be overwritten. CfgAISkill (that's what the userconfig is modifying) just interpolates your enemySkill/enemyPrecision and the mission editor skill/skill set via setSkill.

Thanks lukrop but..let me understand.

Even if i have 0.7 or 0.8 or..whatever in difficulty settings-i thought launching the mission/editor the userconfig values will kick in and values such as aimingSpeed//aimingAccuracy//spotTime

will be bcombat's predefined..right? :confused:

*I also want to ask Fabrizio about the suppressed weapons coefficient and/or AI's hearing.

Are suppressed weapons (although no subsonic ammunition) make a difference regarding detection?

Edited by GiorgyGR

I know the mod is tagged as SP mod but since I've read several times that it's working in MP quite well I thought I give it a try. Sadly, if the mod is loaded by the dedicated server, it throws you back to the mission selection screen just after loading, before entering the briefing screen. It throws some errors about not finding @bcombat\unit.sqf. The file is there and everything else too. Since it's the Linux dedicated server there might be something funky going on with the paths. Especially back-slash versus forward-slash. Just wanted to drop that here. :)

I am also getting the message about the unit.sqf file not being found in SP. I have deleted everything, re-installed, re-downloaded and re-installed and the message still persists. This is happening for 0.16 but didn't happen in 0.15.

Thanks lukrop but..let me understand.

Even if i have 0.7 or 0.8 or..whatever in difficulty settings-i thought launching the mission/editor the userconfig values will kick in and values such as aimingSpeed//aimingAccuracy//spotTime

will be bcombat's predefined..right? :confused:

enemySkill and enemyPrecision (in your profile file/difficulty settings) are the base values. Every unit skill, set via editor or setSkill, is interpolated the way it's defined in CfgAISkill.

So for example if you have enemySkill=0.7 the unit has a spotDistance skill of 0.5 and you use the BIS default CfgAISkill, the resulting spotting skill would be 0.21. Because 0.5 would be interpolated between 0.2 and 0.4 resulting in 0.3. Now multiply 0.7 with 0.3 and you have your absolute spotting skill of 0.21.

I hope it's somewhat understandable, I'm struggling to describe the behaviour in english. :)

wasnt arma2 better than arma3, how come it wasnt made for arma2

In fact it was as a part of TPWCAS but this is a version for Arma 3.

enemySkill and enemyPrecision (in your profile file/difficulty settings) are the base values. Every unit skill, set via editor or setSkill, is interpolated the way it's defined in CfgAISkill.

So for example if you have enemySkill=0.7 the unit has a spotDistance skill of 0.5 and you use the BIS default CfgAISkill, the resulting spotting skill would be 0.21. Because 0.5 would be interpolated between 0.2 and 0.4 resulting in 0.3. Now multiply 0.7 with 0.3 and you have your absolute spotting skill of 0.21.

I hope it's somewhat understandable, I'm struggling to describe the behaviour in english. :)

Thank you very much lukrop.

Yes it's clearly understandable :)

So...maybe official bcombat's difficulty settings should be standardized/strongly recommended for clients/servers

to ensure close-to-human abilities&&behavior :/

Anything new with Bcombat, been away for awhile sometimes this game just frustrates me and I have to step away. P.s. I have the latest ver but dont really see a whole lot of a difference in Ai they still react slow and if close shots happen they get up and run like idiots. Plus trying to understand this new Ai difficulty thing they added skillFriendly=0.85000002;

skillEnemy=0.85000002;

precisionFriendly=0.72999996;

precisionEnemy=0.72999996;

aiLevelPreset=3;

skillAI=0.050000001;-----------------------------what is this how does it work?

precisionAI=0.050000001;---------------------what is this too because there is a precision already so does this do?

I've come across a problem, AI units are pretty much invincible to Artillery strikes. I noticed this in two missions then set up a test with the support module in the editor, same story, then I disabled bCombat and voila, back to normal. Even if multiple MLRS rounds land ontop of them, they just seem to bleed a little but not die.

Please fix this because it's ruining the game for me when I actually need arty strikes to reduce enemy size. Maybe it's a damaged event handler that I think is being used on all the units, since in the config you can define a damage multiplier (I don't use/touch it)...

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

@Fabrizio..

I noticed this a lot while I was finishing up the Adapt episode, or playing some other random missions. I'm yet to test vanilla AI properly since the last stable patch but with every patch bCombats behaviour changes a little with the default AI changes in the game. There was a time where I felt that the AI would no longer be able to turn around and land one between my eyes at almost any range, sadly that seems to be back with a vengeance.

For one thing, if the enemy are in combat mode kneeling, standing, or lying in a compound behind a wall 10-30m away from you, and you peek around the wall, they will instantly have line of sight even if they are facing the opposite direction, turn around and shoot you fakt up. Not sure if this was more bCombat or vanilla AI fault, will have to test it out later because I've had enough of this problem.

I guess it's the way the game/bCombat makes AI units aware of your presence via knowsAbout, it's like a magic radar. These problems are very bad with the AI's first shot or two, they are deadly accurate, after that they receive some spread. As I said earlier, at some point between game patches and bCombat versions this problem seemed largely gone, but it's back.

I've come across a problem, AI units are pretty much invincible to Artillery strikes. I noticed this in two missions then set up a test with the support module in the editor, same story, then I disabled bCombat and voila, back to normal. Even if multiple MLRS rounds land ontop of them, they just seem to bleed a little but not die.

Please fix this because it's ruining the game for me when I actually need arty strikes to reduce enemy size. Maybe it's a damaged event handler that I think is being used on all the units, since in the config you can define a damage multiplier (I don't use/touch it)...

Friend are you sure you aren't using any other addon?

bcombat (afaik) has totally nothing to do with damage modifiers.

Please check again your command line and/or bcombat's folder for some misplaced (from other mods) .pbo's

Giorgy, I think there is a modifier in there, but it's disabled as default

Friend are you sure you aren't using any other addon?

bcombat (afaik) has totally nothing to do with damage modifiers.

Please check again your command line and/or bcombat's folder for some misplaced (from other mods) .pbo's

Double checked again, ran a test with latest bCombat v0.15 and the latest CBA downloads and it still happens, units are invincible to arty fire including MLRS and cluster mines, they seem to all take damage with blood on clothing but they never die, even after multiple hits and flying through the air. If I run without CBA the problem goes away, but it's a requirement for bCombat. If I remove bCombat and just run CBA the problem goes away, so it must be bCombat or the bCombat/CBA combination.

It's actually quite hilarious watching 4 squads of CSAT all go blood red, flying through the air but still surviving every arty hit.

Double checked again, ran a test with latest bCombat v0.15 and the latest CBA downloads and it still happens, units are invincible to arty fire including MLRS and cluster mines, they seem to all take damage with blood on clothing but they never die, even after multiple hits and flying through the air. If I run without CBA the problem goes away, but it's a requirement for bCombat. If I remove bCombat and just run CBA the problem goes away, so it must be bCombat or the bCombat/CBA combination.

It's actually quite hilarious watching 4 squads of CSAT all go blood red, flying through the air but still surviving every arty hit.

I can confirm this is happening in 0.16RC2, as well, with just bcombat and CBA running.

I can confirm this is happening in 0.16RC2, as well, with just bcombat and CBA running.

I can re-confirm also.

@Fabrizio

Friend..can you please consider to add Radio communication between enemy groups?

This is a very important feature

I can confirm Enemy Arty is killing the AI with bCombat 0.16rc2

I can confirm Enemy Arty is killing the AI with bCombat 0.16rc2

Here's a video of what I'm seeing. I placed down a BLUFOR squad leader (me), an OPFOR rifle team, and the virtual artillery support mod. I called in 8 rounds on the enemy position, and all of them landed on target. OPFOR soldiers were injured, but none were killed as far as I could see.

Hi,

i've been dealing with some illness in the last days.

Nothing big, but annoying enough.

I will look into the arty issue.

It may be a sort of blue-on-blue issue though: friendly fire damage is capped by default and some kind of arty fire may be (wrongly) considered non-enemy.

So please try setting into config.sqf:

bcombat_allow_friendly_capped_damage = false;

and let me know if the issue goes away.

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

@Fabrizio

Friend..can you please consider to add Radio communication between enemy groups?

This is a very important feature

Planned for v0.17.

---------- Post added at 20:16 ---------- Previous post was at 20:11 ----------

Thank you very much lukrop.

Yes it's clearly understandable :)

So...maybe official bcombat's difficulty settings should be standardized/strongly recommended for clients/servers

to ensure close-to-human abilities&&behavior :/

bCombat used to give a pretty balanced experience on ArmA3 v1.08 imho.

Later much changed under the hood (=engine) and it's not easy to catch with undocumented and ongoing changes.

That said anyone's mileage will vary, that's the reason bCombat comes with fully exposed CfgAISkill into user config.

Edited by fabrizio_T