fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

Also, I have a question regarding this mod. I am not sure if this is the case due to the mods I'm using, but does bCombat have a suppression system in place? I am not sure if a recent update messed with TPW EBS, but I am no longer being suppressed by the enemy anymore, and my character is often left breathing heavily until he dies. In fact, outside of the breathing and some additional sway, it's actually tolerable. :P

bCombat includes a full-featured suppression system. AI does suppression fire and gets suppressed.

By running bith bCombat and TPW EBS you get 2 different and colliding systems running, hence issues are extremely likely.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Wish I could increase enemy AI that's preset in group configurations (which is always set too low), rather than placing single units in the editor to form squads. Maybe there's a trick to apply a certain AI value to a group?

Consider that group skill presets were raised ( = doubled!) by BIS not much time ago.

Personally i'm comfortable with current settings.

If you, wish you may alter units skill by script, example:

{ _x setSkill (0.5 +  random 0.2);  } forEach units ( group this );

Put that into some group leader's INIT field, in editor.

It assigns a random skill between 0.5 and 0.7 (= 0.5+0.2) to all group units.

bCombat includes a full-featured suppression system. AI does suppression fire and gets suppressed.

By running bith bCombat and TPW EBS you get 2 different and colliding systems running, hence issues are extremely likely.

---------- Post added at 10:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 ----------

Consider that group skill presets were raised ( = doubled!) by BIS not much time ago.

Personally i'm comfortable with current settings.

If you, wish you may alter units skill by script, example:

{ _x setSkill (0.5 +  random 0.2);  } forEach units ( group this );

Put that into some group leader's INIT field, in editor.

It assigns a random skill between 0.5 and 0.7 (= 0.5+0.2) to all group units.

I figured. Would your mod still function properly if I removed the suppression file from fsm? I personally really dig what TPW EBS offers, but I also love how your mod makes the AI act as if every conflict is one that is incredibly dangerous. Or is suppression a major factor?

I figured. Would your mod still function properly if I removed the suppression file from fsm? I personally really dig what TPW EBS offers, but I also love how your mod makes the AI act as if every conflict is one that is incredibly dangerous. Or is suppression a major factor?

If you go into userconfig "\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\userconfig\TPW_MODS" and edit TPW_MODS.HPP you will see that you can configure everything there.

Im running TPW with bCombat and i turned off EBS and its running smooth and perfect.

If you go into userconfig "\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\userconfig\TPW_MODS" and edit TPW_MODS.HPP you will see that you can configure everything there.

Im running TPW with bCombat and i turned off EBS and its running smooth and perfect.

I get that, but what if I wished to use the TPW EBS features? How do I disable the overlapping variables in bCombat? I've grown really comfortable with the blackening feature in EBS with suppression. I'd like to mix the suppression system with EBS with many of the basic combat changes bCombat offers.

I've just noticed an issue when running bCombat v0.15 on latest stable release of Arma 3. When placing AI units near a campfire they go into prone position, move them further away and they're fine. They ignore behaviour "SAFE" and the unit action ["sitDown", targetUnit] command.

Upon further testing I noticed that even units that move/patrol past a campfire will go into prone position and crawl their way, it seems the affected radius is about 10-20 meters.

Without bCombat I got 99 problems and this aint one. ;)

Edited by LowFlyZone

Ehmm..sorry guys..

I noticed in a post one friend said about bcombat has Radio system (aka enemy groups can communicate//like ASR_AI3)..

but i haven't seen any other reference while i searched.

Is this true?

If yes..i would like to know the radius of which enemy groups are able to communicate..or ANY other technical specification

Ehmm..sorry guys..

I noticed in a post one friend said about bcombat has Radio system (aka enemy groups can communicate//like ASR_AI3)..

but i haven't seen any other reference while i searched.

Is this true?

If yes..i would like to know the radius of which enemy groups are able to communicate..or ANY other technical specification

No radio system at the moment.

I plan to implement it though ( with a editable radius variable of course ).

---------- Post added at 19:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

I've just noticed an issue when running bCombat v0.15 on latest stable release of Arma 3. When placing AI units near a campfire they go into prone position, move them further away and they're fine. They ignore behaviour "SAFE" and the unit action ["sitDown", targetUnit] command.

Upon further testing I noticed that even units that move/patrol past a campfire will go into prone position and crawl their way, it seems the affected radius is about 10-20 meters.

Nice find, i should look into this.

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

I get that, but what if I wished to use the TPW EBS features? How do I disable the overlapping variables in bCombat? I've grown really comfortable with the blackening feature in EBS with suppression. I'd like to mix the suppression system with EBS with many of the basic combat changes bCombat offers.

Sorry, but i think it's pretty hard to have bCombat coping with EBS.

I think you have to pick one.

Can anyone help? when using this mod my AI team during combat will sometimes move with weapons raised which is normal,however at a very slow pace.getting them from cover to cover without them getting shot is impossible.Is this normal for the mod or could something be in conflict?

Thanks

Il also add that many other AI groups tend to not mmove in carelesss mode anymore.Love the mod and would love to resolve this

Il also add that many other AI groups tend to not mmove in carelesss mode anymore.Love the mod and would love to resolve this

This is a BI bug since the last update, campaign

I've had to roll back to my old AI modset because of some issues with bCombat, or possibly just how bCombat interacts with the latest stable version. I had a mission where units parachute from an aircraft, some of the units take damage as they fall, and I've appropriately scripted it so that they are invincible, and as a precaution they are healed while parachuting. I think as a result of taking damage at all, even if they are healed they go into combat mode instead of aware. So when they land, and they need to run in a certain direction, they take a painfully long time because they're bounding, even though there is no threat.

The biggest flaw with the AI, and this isn't a fault of bCombat is that sometimes you need AI to cross danger areas quickly. Of course the AI will always choose to prone out rather than dash through the open though, even if it means getting mortars and grenades walked in on them.

No radio system at the moment.

I plan to implement it though ( with a editable radius variable of course ).

---------- Post added at 19:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

Nice find, i should look into this.

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:07 ----------

Sorry, but i think it's pretty hard to have bCombat coping with EBS.

I think you have to pick one.

Is there no way of using the AI enhancements of bCombat but without any of the suppression values? Or are they that central to the framework of bCombat?

I wanted to report that AI are back to using hand grenades in the latest DEV build with bcombat running. I opted out of it some time ago but with Alive supporting the dev build I opted in again today and noticed immediately how deadly and accurate AI was with nades. I guess they have fixed something in one of the builds, eh?

I wanted to report that AI are back to using hand grenades in the latest DEV build with bcombat running. I opted out of it some time ago but with Alive supporting the dev build I opted in again today and noticed immediately how deadly and accurate AI was with nades. I guess they have fixed something in one of the builds, eh?

I don't know about Frags, but smoke grenades still aren't being thrown. The thrown frags may have been vanilla AI, because I think bCombat uses similar code for frags and smokes.

The mod clearly states it's purpose is for single player gameplay. Granted. I would still like to know, for those mavericks who are not bound by such limitations, if you've tried running the mod on a coop mission with friends and your consequent experience-did bcombat actually work?

Edited by chondo999

The mod clearly states it's purpose is for single player gameplay. Granted. I would still like to know, for those mavericks who are not bound by such limitations, if you've tried running the mod on a coop mission with friends and your consequent experience-did bcombat actually work?

Yes it works in MP

Is there no way of using the AI enhancements of bCombat but without any of the suppression values? Or are they that central to the framework of bCombat?

Morale is central to bCombat. It controls unit skill and behaviour.

Morale is affected by events, such as suppression fire, but there's much more: events include hearing of neaby explosions, unit falling under fire or wounded, hearing of close bullet ricochets, enemiesy coming in range or LOS, sight of (friendly) casualties, sight of friendlies being under fire, ...

So basically suppression is one of the many criteria driving unit behaviour, which is designed to be as human-alike as possible, tahnks to a better situational awareness.

It is not possible to skip suppression without breaking the roots of bCombat.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

That's vanilla grenade throwing.

bCombat enhanced throwing should still be broken due to a ArmA 3 v1.10 bug (did not check latest build, but bug report is still pending).

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

I've had to roll back to my old AI modset because of some issues with bCombat, or possibly just how bCombat interacts with the latest stable version. I had a mission where units parachute from an aircraft, some of the units take damage as they fall, and I've appropriately scripted it so that they are invincible, and as a precaution they are healed while parachuting. I think as a result of taking damage at all, even if they are healed they go into combat mode instead of aware. So when they land, and they need to run in a certain direction, they take a painfully long time because they're bounding, even though there is no threat.

The problem with AI stuck in combat mode is unrelated to bCombat, i've commented about it before and was mentioned in the dev branch discussion thread as well, if i recall correctly.

---------- Post added at 10:53 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

Looks so, to some extents.

You may eventually ask SavageCDN for more details, he has quite some experience with this (unsupported) feature.

Sorry for being unable to give more insight on the matter, i haven't tested the mod in MP.

Edited by fabrizio_T

I think there is something in Zeus_AI that over rides that tendency to stay in combat mode. That or I just didnt test enough. I prefer bCombat for regular play. But for that mission which involved a lot of scripting I had to use something else.

@FabrizioT, does using this function help the grenade situation?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=173549

I've tried it, pretty cumbersome to set up.

However the big problem is throwing distance does not work the same way as the usual fire command.

I still hope BIS will fix what they broke.

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Tested and reproduced the issue.

Fixed within bCombat internal development build.

The issue was caused by AI units taking some infinitesimal damage by simply passing close to a burning campfire (even 10 meters).

This happens in vanilla ArmA3 as well, but it's not noticeable.

Within bCombat AI units get scared after taking any damage, hence you notice the problem.

The solution was filtering damage thorugh a (newly introduced) minimum threshold, of about 1%.

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

This issue has been lessened within bCombat internal development build.

This is an experimental change.

AI units won't get scared anymore by damage taken from a non-object source (e.g. damage from falling, damage artificially set via setDamage).

This means AI units won't autonomously enter combat mode anymore when suffering this kind of damage.

This applies also for zero or very low damage ( < 1% ) received from any source.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Hi fabrizio_T. Sorry I'm a bit late to the party with your beautiful mod. I've been having a good play with it and the difference over vanilla is absolutely incredible.

Not sure if this has been reported before but with bCombat running all the fatigue effects disappear - the player can run for kilometers and not breath heavily, no weapon sway, vision blur etc. Is this a design decision or just a consequence of your FSM wrangling?

tpw there is a setting in the config file and with in the bcombat.sqf that you have to change its set to disable fatuge by default. i have it turned back on. its in there cant remember the variable name but its something along the lines of bCombat_enablefatigue

tpw there is a setting in the config file and with in the bcombat.sqf that you have to change its set to disable fatuge by default. i have it turned back on. its in there cant remember the variable name but its something along the lines of bCombat_enablefatigue

Thanks LP, trying it out now!