fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

Fabrizio,

Is there a way to exclude a unit from the effects of bcombat? For instance, I have sniper placed with init this setPosATL by a small window and was using this setUnitPos "UP" but the unit always went back to crouch.

you sir are f***** genius and i sincerely love you!!!!

this + jsrs + blastcore + damage multiplier makes this game as awesome is i hoped it would be from the beginning!

Pretty much this. I'm playing through the SP campaign now and its very enjoyable with the enhanced AI!! While Fire-Fight Improvement System is a good AI mod, it broke the campaign due to messing with waypoints, and so far I've had no issues with bCombat v0.16. A very well coded and well thought out mod. Congratulations on the excellent work.

The holy trinity of mods are now complete - commence with true unabashed enjoyment of Arma 3!!!

I just saw the AI side-rolling, is that bCombat doing or the recent change in dev branch patch?

Its BCombat. A tribute to TonyRanger ;)

Pretty much this. I'm playing through the SP campaign now and its very enjoyable with the enhanced AI!! While Fire-Fight Improvement System is a good AI mod, it broke the campaign due to messing with waypoints, and so far I've had no issues with bCombat v0.16. A very well coded and well thought out mod. Congratulations on the excellent work.

The holy trinity of mods are now complete - commence with true unabashed enjoyment of Arma 3!!!

Same here. First real run thru of the 1st campaign and im literally having a blast. These AI hunt me down like that pair of velociraptors! Running this with 4th wall (awesome), SoS sound (gritty and bloody), Blastcore (nuff said) a quick mix of control mods (jump, scroll to stance, switch weapon on move), StHud and this (godsend).

Good stuff.

Edit: Currently on the Assault Girna portion of Episode 1 and I don't even know if it's possible to win with BCombat enabled -it's THAT hard!

Edited by froggyluv

Just an heads-up:

as of v0.15 you'll find, near top of config.sqf:

bcombat_dev_mode = true;	

Set it to false and you'll see no more stats nor balloons, without the hassle of commenting the lines at the bottom of the file.

Shame :(. Where is Suma?

I'd suggest sticking to stable for now.

In stable branch, this works for the most part. But there still seemed to be a baloon above my toons head. Didn't see any dev info aside from that though.

In dev branch, none of it works. Always shows debug balls and info on right side no matter what.

Im on Dev branch and .16 and its all off for me.

Weird. Just downloaded .16 to try it. Same results. I'm editing the config.sqf, making sure it's false.

// Description: toggle debugging information on (true) or off (false)

bcombat_dev_mode = false;

Still get debug info. Both the balls and the debug panel on the right.

Im on Dev branch and .16 and its all off for me.

same. Had issues running .15 in dev branch but .16 seems to be perfectly fine.

I don´t know if the 1.16 Version is working correctly for me. The files I downloaded from github are all without Newlines. Is it supposed to be like that?

@fabrizio - really great so far. I would suggest one of your goals should be that this mod is compatible with the SP campaign because it really adds so much to the experience.

I'm playing through the Survive Campaign at the moment from the very start with bcombat 0.16. A lot of the time I think I've encountered a game breaking bug, but its just some enemy prone in a building somewhere hiding that I can't find. I've found only two game-breakers so far;

• Wet Work - after leaving the submersible, the other 3 divers just stayed static in the water. Restarting the mission fixed this issue.
  • Maxwell (after Crossing Paths) - this is the scene where the camp is busted up. Completely broken with bcombat - the cut scene doesn't play out and the surviving NPCs are dead. Task menu and map can't be opened. I had to disable the mod to get past this mission.

@fabrizio - really great so far. I would suggest one of your goals should be that this mod is compatible with the SP campaign because it really adds so much to the experience.

I'm playing through the Survive Campaign at the moment from the very start with bcombat 0.16. A lot of the time I think I've encountered a game breaking bug, but its just some enemy prone in a building somewhere hiding that I can't find. I've found only two game-breakers so far;

• Wet Work - after leaving the submersible, the other 3 divers just stayed static in the water. Restarting the mission fixed this issue.
  • Maxwell (after Crossing Paths) - this is the scene where the camp is busted up. Completely broken with bcombat - the cut scene doesn't play out and the surviving NPCs are dead. Task menu and map can't be opened. I had to disable the mod to get past this mission.

Well, i've played both missions with bCombat before (on stable v1.08),without a hitch.

I have some doubts these problems are bCombat related, maybe somebody may confirm or exclude that.

The first issues resembles alot the typical trigger not fired showstopper. THe fact was random seems confirming it.

If you are playing on DEV build, then consider there are already many known -vanilla- issues.

Too many in my opinion to exclude something is broken into campaign too.

By the way, in order to achieve good compatibility with campaign, i'd suggest putting off investigate, fleeing and surrender.

---------- Post added at 18:26 ---------- Previous post was at 18:25 ----------

I don´t know if the 1.16 Version is working correctly for me. The files I downloaded from github are all without Newlines. Is it supposed to be like that?

Are you using notepad to open them? Looks that's the case.

Try notepad++ or wordpad (the former is WAY better).

Edited by fabrizio_T

The first issues resembles alot the typical trigger not fired showstopper. THe fact was random seems confirming it.

Yeah could be just a mission issue...

If you are playing on DEV build, then consider there are already many known -vanilla- issues.

Too many in my opionon to excluded something is broken into campaign too.

I am running DEV so it could be that - anyone care to confirm?

PS God am I struggling with the last part of Tipping Point (the final Survive mission)!!

Weird. Just downloaded .16 to try it. Same results. I'm editing the config.sqf, making sure it's false.

// Description: toggle debugging information on (true) or off (false)

bcombat_dev_mode = false;

Still get debug info. Both the balls and the debug panel on the right.

This looks strange indeed.

Please check the config.sqf file you are editing is the one into the right path: <arma 3 folder>\@bcombat\config.sqf, not any copy.

Please double check you have only a single bcombat folder into <arma 3 folder> and no other leftovers.

If this does not help, please paste here the contents of your config.sqf .

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:53 ----------

I am running DEV so it could be that - anyone care to confirm?

Yes please anybody confirm.

By the way, by running DEV you are most likely missing some bCombat features, like CQB grenade throwing and smoke throwing.

reason being: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16783#bugnotes

Is hearing related to vehicles at all? I ask because I did a helicopter insertion for a mission about a mile south of where the enemy was. They began sprinting south down the road towards the LZ.

It was weird because I was using taskPatrol and they shouldn't have done that.

Is hearing related to vehicles at all? I ask because I did a helicopter insertion for a mission about a mile south of where the enemy was. They began sprinting south down the road towards the LZ.

It was weird because I was using taskPatrol and they shouldn't have done that.

No. Hearing is improved for bullets, grenades.

Also the investigate behaviour is capped to 200 meters radius, so it cannot trigger at about 1 mile.

Spotdistance is slightly increased though (+20% on max).

However spotting an enemy at distance is usually not enough to make a unit moving towards it (unless the group has special waypoint such as GUARD).

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

For geeks only

Further tweaks committed to bCombat DEV branch.

https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat/commit/5e27c5b17ca99a3ce62bf1f9f0a5f8505db827d8

Edited by fabrizio_T

No. Hearing is improved for bullets, grenades.

Also the investigate behaviour is capped to 200 meters radius, so it cannot trigger at about 1 mile.

Spotdistance is slightly increased though (+20% on max).

However spotting an enemy at distance is usually not enough to make a unit moving towards it (unless the group has special waypoint such as GUARD).

---------- Post added at 19:52 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

For geeks only

Further tweaks committed to bCombat DEV branch.

https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat/commit/5e27c5b17ca99a3ce62bf1f9f0a5f8505db827d8

I tested further and it seems like an issue with the BIS Fnc. Anything with a value lower than 50 would become irratic.

This looks strange indeed.

Please check the config.sqf file you are editing is the one into the right path: <arma 3 folder>\@bcombat\config.sqf, not any copy.

Please double check you have only a single bcombat folder into <arma 3 folder> and no other leftovers.

If this does not help, please paste here the contents of your config.sqf .

Ah, forgot, folder issue. I run my mods from the MyDocuments folder, so when it goes looking for the sqf files, it's looking in the Arma 3 folder rather than the mydcoments/arma3 folder.

(Haven't had a chance to confirm this yet though)

(Edit: Just confirmed this. It's fixed.)

Yes please anybody confirm.

By the way, by running DEV you are most likely missing some bCombat features, like CQB grenade throwing and smoke throwing.

reason being: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16783#bugnotes

It seemed to me that AI were randomly throwing HE nades while getting in fights. But they were frequently missing their targets by huge spans. They weren't bothering with smoke at all though, it seemed.

I will say this: aside from being broken in those ways, it's a game changer in the new campaign episode. Haven't even managed my way past the first mission with bCombat enabled. (And that's a good thing.)

Edited by TheCapulet

Quick update on my tests with your mod in Arma 2 OA: Debug will not work. Combat behavior is far better than any AI mod I've seen so far.

BUT the AI is severly bugged DURING (sometimes) and especially AFTER a firefight. Looks like they're jerking and twitching around, often stuck in a position for half a minute before moving again. Twitching noted during walking, and standing.

So: No advise to try this atm. Will test with upcoming versions.

Edited by Dar

Well, i've played both missions with bCombat before (on stable v1.08),without a hitch.

I have some doubts these problems are bCombat related, maybe somebody may confirm or exclude that.

Too many in my opinion to exclude something is broken into campaign too.

By the way, in order to achieve good compatibility with campaign, i'd suggest putting off investigate, fleeing and surrender.

Hey Fabrizio!

First of, I´d like to really congratulate you, your mod REALLY puts new life on ArmA3 (bCombat+MCC latest version made the game the perfect experience I was looking for since A3 was out...), it´s amazing how bots behave lifelike now... keep it up!

I´ve read that CBA is quite messed with the latest dev mode due to eventhandlers loading up before or way later they should, as bCombat relies on CBA, could be CBA the root of this randow issues you guys (you and your .16 playtesters) are experiencing? Just my 2cc...

I´m quite happy with .15, but any improvements are better (the more, the merrier lol)

cheers!

Quick update on my tests with your mod in Arma 2 OA: Debug will not work. Combat behavior is far better than any AI mod I've seen so far.

BUT the AI is severly bugged DURING (sometimes) and especially AFTER a firefight. Looks like they're jerking and twitching around, often stuck in a position for half a minute before moving again. Twitching noted during walking, and standing.

So: No advise to try this atm. Will test with upcoming versions.

Nice to know.

Even if it's a bit OT here, care posting a video of units "twitching"?

I'd like to get an idea of the issue.

By debug not working you mean balloons ?

In that case i know the solution (object name to be changed for ball).

---------- Post added at 00:31 ---------- Previous post was at 00:24 ----------

;2602353']Hey Fabrizio!

First of' date=' I´d like to really congratulate you, your mod REALLY puts new life on ArmA3 (bCombat+MCC latest version made the game the perfect experience I was looking for since A3 was out...), it´s amazing how bots behave lifelike now... keep it up!

I´ve read that CBA is quite messed with the latest dev mode due to eventhandlers loading up before or way later they should, as bCombat relies on CBA, could be CBA the root of this randow issues you guys (you and your .16 playtesters) are experiencing? Just my 2cc...

I´m quite happy with .15, but any improvements are better (the more, the merrier lol)

cheers![/quote']

Not sure. Personally i had no CBA errors in logs.

I've read other people indeed had errors.

What i'm sure is that recent DEV builds have many issues, ranging from compatibility, to performance, to bugs. Basically anything.

I'm staying clear from those, for the moment. I'd suggest the same to anybody. Just let the dust settle a bit.

Speaking of bCombat, v0.16 is mainly a maintenance release, meaning it fixes many bugs and issues.

Combat wise it is similar to v0.15, with morale penalties impacting units behaviour more.

Some minor features were added, such as lower ground morale hits.

---------- Post added at 00:33 ---------- Previous post was at 00:31 ----------

It seemed to me that AI were randomly throwing HE nades while getting in fights. But they were frequently missing their targets by huge spans. They weren't bothering with smoke at all though, it seemed.

I will say this: aside from being broken in those ways, it's a game changer in the new campaign episode. Haven't even managed my way past the first mission with bCombat enabled. (And that's a good thing.)

Probably it was default grenade throwing? AFAIK CQB greande throwing should not work at all on DEV build.

No smoke seems confirming that.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Yeah, it's looking like it was the default behavior. On the other hand, it's fun to watch them react to my smoke grenades. Heh. I've never had more fun dying.

Anyone playing the 1st campaign with this as well as an upped damage modifier? Everything was going great but now at what appears to me midway, my cutscenes at base has gone wonky and pretty damn macabre as just about everyone save Miller is dead -weird shopping at my resupply point with a corpse folded up below it :(

Using Damage modifier of 2 but thinking it may be a bit high, I like lethal but maybe 1.5 is better -interested on feedback there. Im on .16 and Dev branch and yes there is next to no smoke grenade tosses but I did hear a few grenades.

Just wanted to thank you for bcombat, Fabrizio. It's working well in both SP and MP for me. Best AI i've seen yet in the Arma series.

Anyone playing the 1st campaign with this as well as an upped damage modifier? Everything was going great but now at what appears to me midway, my cutscenes at base has gone wonky and pretty damn macabre as just about everyone save Miller is dead -weird shopping at my resupply point with a corpse folded up below it :(

Using Damage modifier of 2 but thinking it may be a bit high, I like lethal but maybe 1.5 is better -interested on feedback there. Im on .16 and Dev branch and yes there is next to no smoke grenade tosses but I did hear a few grenades.

Had the same issue - I think its dev branch related but yet to verify. Just turn off bcombat at Maxwell and then turn it back on for the next mission (Tipping Point I think).

Had the same issue - I think its dev branch related but yet to verify. Just turn off bcombat at Maxwell and then turn it back on for the next mission (Tipping Point I think).

Now that's interesting. So maybe the culprit of the issue is damage multiplier (i'm on default and can't replicate the problem).

As of v0.16 i fixed a strange bug preventing player to respawn properly in some missions.

It was caused by the handleDamage EH firing twice (or damage not being reset), hence causing player to die immediately after respawn.

This issue seems pointing at handleDamage EH again, since it is responsible for applying the damage multiplier.

I'll investigate this.

---------- Post added at 09:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 ----------

Just wanted to thank you for bcombat, Fabrizio. It's working well in both SP and MP for me. Best AI i've seen yet in the Arma series.

Thank you, nice to hear.

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

Poll is about to close (2 days left).

Please pick your preference.

Accuracy for v0.16 will be adjusted accordingly to feedback.