fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

Just ran a similar test, different house in downtown Stratis -exact same result. Fired a few shots at enemy team some 100m out then crouched to cover in corner of room. Switched to a civilian to follow the assaulting team and not only did they seem to surround the house from different angles but one guy went around the other side, entered took the stairs straight to the room. Sadly the guy was already dead because a clever AI had found a really good angle on him from a window.

ok so here is a video of Ai hunting me down in a building http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO5gkxoUBWM

Seeing that makes me feel kind of giddy. Some of my most memorable moments in Arma 2 (using ChrisB's Smart AI mod mix) were when I'd go onto the roof of a building to take out enemies from higher ground only to have a guy sneak into the building and kill me while my back was turned. I laughed every time because it seemed so unexpected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=natI1cWaKoU enjoy this another video of ai stacking on the house (security contractors )

This is awesome :-D, was it achieved with or without allowing ai taking cover in buildings by second parameter in config? Cause the sec parameter indeed like to cause trouble just like fabrizio said. With it on, AI loves to get stuck in guard towers :-).

Love it! Thanks for sharing those videos! Arma AI never looked SO good! :D

was achieved with bcombat_allow_cover = true; // (Boolean) Toggle feature on / off

bcombat_cover_mode = 1; // (0,1) 0 = apply only to leader, 1 = apply to all units

bcombat_cover_radius = [15,0]

Would be cool when the AI was not able to see through walls. I noticed (with and without mod, doesnt matter) the AI is always following with the gun the player position. A month ago i´ve managed it to have a squadmember on the first floor in a building, as outside the enemy was surrounding. My AI squadmember was always following with his gun the by me ordered target, through walls, of course^^

That´s why u never can peek around a corner, u will always get the first bullet into the head. And this is sucking hard

Nice video, bravo.

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

Would be cool when the AI was not able to see through walls. I noticed (with and without mod, doesnt matter) the AI is always following with the gun the player position. A month ago i´ve managed it to have a squadmember on the first floor in a building, as outside the enemy was surrounding. My AI squadmember was always following with his gun the by me ordered target, through walls, of course^^

That´s why u never can peek around a corner, u will always get the first bullet into the head. And this is sucking hard

Most likely they hear through walls, rather than see. I guess ostacles don't reduce hearing, but this is a long shot.

However AI ability to pinpointing at close distance by hearing has always been a problem.

Great video Bravo! would have been awesome if he lobbed a grenade in the room :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=natI1cWaKoU enjoy this another video of ai stacking on the house (security contractors )

Is there a reason you are using spectator instead of camera?

Most likely they hear through walls, rather than see. I guess ostacles don't reduce hearing, but this is a long shot.

However AI ability to pinpointing at close distance by hearing has always been a problem.

Yeah, AI hearing has always been weird and really needs to be looked at.

Ciao Fabrizio, This is the best AI mod I've ever come across. Finally the word intelligence is appropriate, and I can more or less leave my squad to take care of themselves rather than having to spend all my time trying to keep them alive, which is how the game should be by default.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve the major annoyance in SP which is the ridiculous amount of damage that the ai can absorb, it's worse than Battlefield games, and certainly worse than Arma 2. I even manage to knock enemies down with my rounds only to have them get up again and hit me with accurate fire, even when they are being suppressed.

If I pump 3 or 4 rounds into an enemy he should at least be badly disabled, but sometimes they seem almost invulnerable!

cosa ne pensi, any thoughts?

Ciao Fabrizio, This is the best AI mod I've ever come across. Finally the word intelligence is appropriate, and I can more or less leave my squad to take care of themselves rather than having to spend all my time trying to keep them alive, which is how the game should be by default.

Unfortunately it doesn't solve the major annoyance in SP which is the ridiculous amount of damage that the ai can absorb, it's worse than Battlefield games, and certainly worse than Arma 2. I even manage to knock enemies down with my rounds only to have them get up again and hit me with accurate fire, even when they are being suppressed.

If I pump 3 or 4 rounds into an enemy he should at least be badly disabled, but sometimes they seem almost invulnerable!

cosa ne pensi, any thoughts?

Yes, try this for your killing problem :)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?171382-NATO-5-56-and-7-62-adjustor

Okay, thanks, I've also downloaded Lao Fei Mao 3rd person mod, which incorporates the originate bullet damage mod. Off to give them a try :-)

Is there a reason you are using spectator instead of camera?

yeah it was just easier and wanted to show my position....normally I use camera but just felt easier at the time less hassle to shot if need be.

Nice video, bravo.

---------- Post added at 09:42 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

I wonder if we could use some scripted behaviour here, in the same way that sound modders add reverb if inside a room - only the opposite! If inside a room/house, the scripts looks for a roof above you and reduces your hearing by 90%?

As I'm not a scripter I don't know how to implement something like this.

I wonder if we could use some scripted behaviour here, in the same way that sound modders add reverb if inside a room - only the opposite! If inside a room/house, the scripts looks for a roof above you and reduces your hearing by 90%?

Not sure you can solve the issue this way.

Probably one way around would be lowering spotDistance within CfgAISkill and control / increase audible range by script.

Which sounds pretty inefficient ...

---------- Post added at 15:51 ---------- Previous post was at 15:50 ----------

Okay, thanks, I've also downloaded Lao Fei Mao 3rd person mod, which incorporates the originate bullet damage mod. Off to give them a try :-)

Or you may try the poor man solution: increasing bcombat_damage_multiplier within bCombat config.sqf ;)

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:51 ----------

The point is i'm sure you can actually reduce it by script.

Edited by fabrizio_T

I played with this addon a little bit and I´m amazed.

There are a few things that bother me though:

I ran some tests where I just observed two AI groups fighting for a small town. I noticed that some units had an extremely low precision. The were shooting at a guy only a few meters away and couldn´t hit him. It looked very funny because the other guy couldn´t hit either. It seemed as if most shots went over their heads. Maybe their morale was extremely low?

Units seems to be very agressive, always trying to storm and overwhelm your position. This is fine in CQB but sometimes seems a bit out of place at mid distances.

I played with this addon a little bit and I´m amazed.

There are a few things that bother me though:

I ran some tests where I just observed two AI groups fighting for a small town. I noticed that some units had an extremely low precision. The were shooting at a guy only a few meters away and couldn´t hit him. It looked very funny because the other guy couldn´t hit either. It seemed as if most shots went over their heads. Maybe their morale was extremely low?

Low morale causes sometimes accidents like that, which are usually tied to suppressFor constraints.

EDIT: just a general heads-up: bCombat is supposed to be played on stock ArmA difficulty settings, with aimingPrecision reduced in game options this issue may be worsened.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Low morale causes sometimes accidents like that, which are usually tied to suppressFor constraints.

EDIT: just a general heads-up: bCombat is supposed to be played on stock ArmA difficulty settings, with aimingPrecision reduced in game options this issue may be worsened.

Any idea what the stock settings are? I probably changed mine before using bCombat.

Any idea what the stock settings are? I probably changed mine before using bCombat.

Unless you changed settings directly within .profile file you may simply set back difficulty to Regular in game options. Veteran if you want to be more challenged.

If you tweaked the profile file, here are (my) default .profile values:

Regular

skillFriendly=0.69999999;

skillEnemy=0.69999999;

precisionFriendly=0.45999998;

precisionEnemy=0.45999998;

Veteran

skillFriendly=0.85000002;

skillEnemy=0.85000002;

precisionFriendly=0.72999996;

precisionEnemy=0.72999996;

Mileage may vary, but in my opinion these presets cope well with bCombat.

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:14 ----------

When 0.16 will be released? Cant wait to use this with Whole Lotta Altis^^

Development version is being staged on GitHub bCombat project page.

Due to bugfixes and tweaks, morale penalties need further rebalancing (they're a bit too much on the high side).

I think v0.16 stable may be released by the end of next week.

For geeks and enthusiasts ONLY

I hope i'm not creating confusion with this, but you may try and run the DEV version of bCombat.

Remember that's NOT a production-ready version, as it usually lacks polish, balancing and testing.

It may have bugs as well.

If you still want to try it, then download the master branch ZIP file from GitHub ( https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat ).

You have to extract it and rename "bCombat-master" folder to "@bcombat".

Then follow usual installation instructions (see readme.txt).

Changelog is usually up-to-date.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Cheers for posting your profile -- that's what I was after.

I set the damage multiplier up to 2 and ran some more tests -- that's the Arma I love! Does the damage multiplier affect the player as well?

Cheers for posting your profile -- that's what I was after.

I set the damage multiplier up to 2 and ran some more tests -- that's the Arma I love! Does the damage multiplier affect the player as well?

Not sure on v0.15, definetely not on v0.16.

---------- Post added at 23:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:38 ----------

Currently playtesting v0.16.

Overall an improvement over v0.15, i'd say.

Hearing and investigate behaviour were improved (more fuzzy) and some bugs fixed.

Volume of fire matters more, now is easier to temporarily get enemy suppressed by briefly concentrating fire.

This applies especially when on higher ground.

AI units are more sneaky, slightly more prone to move into cover when feeling threatened.

They're also panicking and fleeing more (not sure this is good though).

All in all v0.16 is shaping well, some more days and it will be ready to adequately replace v0.15.

Most likely they hear through walls, rather than see. I guess obstacles don't reduce hearing, but this is a long shot.

I noticed this as well when testing the 'AI squad following me into a house' scenario. I started behind the house with the enemy squad on the other side maybe 70m away across one of those small Startis bridges. At no time could the AI have seen me yet while I made my way through the house, after passing the first window (the kind with only 1 shutter open) the AI opened up on that position immediately. I then went upstairs to start firing on them and again it was just about instantaneous enemy fire. I don't think it was them hearing me its just that the moment your torso pixels are visible to the enemy via a small opening in the window -it's as if your a glowing neon billboard saying "Shoot me!!".

I doubt this type of AI visual (and audio) occlusion could ever be implemented but would be pretty big. Now, off to try .16 :)

@LSD: He posted how to grab it above