fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

I bought IF when it was released but didn't really play it that much as there were too many issues. A recent community patch has fixed most of these as far as I can tell.

You can run it now in Arma 3 with a few downloads and a batch file:

https://dev.withsix.com/projects/lib-issue-tracker/wiki/Wiki?version=4

The models, units, etc are very well done.. sounds are just OK. Tanks are awesome!! If you're a WWII buff at all it's worth the $10 or so

I see. Looks like i'm going to buy it. Thanks.

I didn't see it in the changelog, but apologies if it has been mentioned. Has the issue regarding AI awareness of nearby grenade explosions been resolved?

I didn't see it in the changelog, but apologies if it has been mentioned. Has the issue regarding AI awareness of nearby grenade explosions been resolved?

Yes, it has been resolved, or to better say was "worked around", since culprit was a vanilla limitation.

By default now AI units hear grenade explosions up to 200 meters distance.

See, within config.sqf:

bcombat_allow_hearing_grenade_distance = 200;

Tweak at will.

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

This mod is awesome. Finally some AI combat improvements.

You should remove the requirement tag "A3_Characters_..." and contact the SIX team to remove the A2 incompatibility. Because it seems to be pretty compatible.

This mod is awesome. Finally some AI combat improvements.

You should remove the requirement tag "A3_Characters_..." and contact the SIX team to remove the A2 incompatibility. Because it seems to be pretty compatible.

Thank you.

By the way you install bCombat with PwS?

If so what you've got is v0.14 and there are some known issues with PwS installation (e.g. userconfig not loaded properly = accuracy too high).

Then please do a regular manual reinstall, link is within first post of this thread.

Sorry for inconvenience.

@fabrizio_T: No, you got me wrong. I don't like PwS for A2CO, I still use the old one (2.9.7pre), and downloaded the mod via your dropbox. Its just, when I load it into a preset as local mod (not Six-updated, downloaded or dependend), Six is recognizing it as one of the Six database mods for A3, so it will show "incompatible" for A2 and will therefore not load it on launch, even if it is in the preset

What I suggested was that you simply remove the requirement tag in @bcombat/addons/bcombat.pbo/config.cpp and ask the Six team to remove the incompatibilty.

I wanted to try it for A2 and had to rewrite the folder name and, because you use a lot of non-pbo-packed script files, rewrite the execution paths for these in your scripts. I wasn't able to locate the execution command for the debug.sqf, though, and therefore on every mission start I get an ugly error window. So I thought why not ask you to release a simple A2 version. It would only be one line thats to be changed.

@fabrizio_T: No, you got me wrong. I don't like PwS for A2CO, I still use the old one (2.9.7pre), and downloaded the mod via your dropbox. Its just, when I load it into a preset as local mod (not Six-updated, downloaded or dependend), Six is recognizing it as one of the Six database mods for A3, so it will show "incompatible" for A2 and will therefore not load it on launch, even if it is in the preset

What I suggested was that you simply remove the requirement tag in @bcombat/addons/bcombat.pbo/config.cpp and ask the Six team to remove the incompatibilty.

I wanted to try it for A2 and had to rewrite the folder name and, because you use a lot of non-pbo-packed script files, rewrite the execution paths for these in your scripts. I wasn't able to locate the execution command for the debug.sqf, though, and therefore on every mission start I get an ugly error window. So I thought why not ask you to release a simple A2 version. It would only be one line thats to be changed.

Ok i see.

I'm not sure i can remove the requirement, if i recall correctly it ensures bCombat config is loaded after character config, which is a pre-requisite.

debug.sqf is loaded near top of bcombat.sqf (line 31).

Not sure if it's fully ArmA2 compliant though, seems to me some ArmA 3 scripting commands are used too.

That said, it's a while i don't fidlle with ArmA2, i may be wrong.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Ok, I'll see into that. Thanks for the support. I'm no professional, but if you want to load it after the character config, you could either replace it with the A2_Character_whatever or set up an initalization delay in your config.cpp?

I want to know how it affects the bcombat_damage_multiplier parameter.

Thank you for all your hard work i love this mod.

@fabrizio_T: No, you got me wrong. I don't like PwS for A2CO, I still use the old one (2.9.7pre)

Maybe Armarize is for you. It uses the six network.

Ha! Would be great if this could somehow work in A2 also.
Thought there was a A2 version, just not so complete?

Thought there was a A2 version, just not so complete?

It was FlexAI at the time, but it wasn't "production-ready".

---------- Post added at 19:08 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

I want to know how it affects the bcombat_damage_multiplier parameter.

Thank you for all your hard work i love this mod.

Any sustained damage is multiplied by its value.

bcombat_damage_multiplier = 2;

Means twice the damage is applied, all the way.

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:08 ----------

Ok, I'll see into that. Thanks for the support. I'm no professional, but if you want to load it after the character config, you could either replace it with the A2_Character_whatever or set up an initalization delay in your config.cpp?

Not sure it's a clean way to deal with that.

However, let me know about your findings on A2 + bCombat.

I' so glad you have released the mod to the public at large: thanks for sharing your work!

Now, I have 2 questions:

1. I remember reading that you disabled AI movement into houses as they were getting stuck, but that it can be changed in the sqf's. Mind telling which exact value that would be?

2. If I run this mod alongside upsmon what will take precedence? Will upsmon limit the effectiveness of your mod?

Thanks again.

I' so glad you have released the mod to the public at large: thanks for sharing your work!

Now, I have 2 questions:

1. I remember reading that you disabled AI movement into houses as they were getting stuck, but that it can be changed in the sqf's. Mind telling which exact value that would be?

2. If I run this mod alongside upsmon what will take precedence? Will upsmon limit the effectiveness of your mod?

Thanks again.

1. Within config.sqf, bcombat_cover_radius accepts a > zero second argument. That's the radius of search for cover into buildings.

2. I guess they will just collide on some feaures.

You may choose to run UPSMON with "noAI" setting, or alternatively run bCombat in "barebone" mode by just commenting / removing everything into config.sqf: This way you disable all optional feaures and run core logic only, but you get more compatibility. Not sure what happens with morale though, since it's a bCombat core feature (not possible to disable).

Thanks for your interest.

@fabrizio_T: I notice the AI shout "frag out" when tossing smoke -- is this a vanilla bug or something introduced by bCombat?

Also, in my video, which you linked to, at about 1:06, a BLUFOR soldier tosses a frag grenade even though he's about 200m from the closest enemy. The grenade hits his own guys (which I assume is why they don't die, since you capped friendly damage). Is it possible that was supposed to be a smoke grenade?

@fabrizio_T: I notice the AI shout "frag out" when tossing smoke -- is this a vanilla bug or something introduced by bCombat?

Also, in my video, which you linked to, at about 1:06, a BLUFOR soldier tosses a frag grenade even though he's about 200m from the closest enemy. The grenade hits his own guys (which I assume is why they don't die, since you capped friendly damage). Is it possible that was supposed to be a smoke grenade?

The fact units shout "frag out" when throwing smoke is a shortcoming.

I had to use frag animation instead of smoke throwing animation, because the latter is awkward.

So a frag grenade is created, then intercepted and removed by some special fired EH, finally the smoke grenade is created.

Regarding the 1:06 issue, i'll look into it, what you say is possible.

I tried it with my favorite map "Whole Lotta Altis" from SaOk, it didnt work, it disables SaOk´s respawn function. When this will be fixed i will play with bcombat too

Fab is there a way to make a 4 man team into 2 separate groups and have each man follow higher ranked guy as team mate where ever he goes?....Basically just not splitting up into one man fights a army on his own. Like I see them follow one guy but then they split and never follow as a team. I see that happen a lot and what generally happens after that is they get mowed down.

Fab is there a way to make a 4 man team into 2 separate groups and have each man follow higher ranked guy as team mate where ever he goes?....Basically just not splitting up into one man fights a army on his own. Like I see them follow one guy but then they split and never follow as a team. I see that happen a lot and what generally happens after that is they get mowed down.

Already works that way in vanilla ArmA3, maybe is not easy to notice.

As long as leader commands 2 or more units at once on the same target they move in formation, whith highest ranked man being formation leader.

If you observe carefully you'll see that happening at times.

I have considered enforcing some 2-men movement whenever possible, so the second one watches first one "six".

It's quite delicate to get this working effectively though. I have some ideas, which i'll further develop.

---------- Post added at 20:42 ---------- Previous post was at 20:41 ----------

I tried it with my favorite map "Whole Lotta Altis" from SaOk, it didnt work, it disables SaOk´s respawn function. When this will be fixed i will play with bcombat too

Sad to know, i'm curious about the cause, bCombat is not supposed to fiddle with respawn.

Do you run only bCombat or other mods too?

can you better describe the issue?

Any informations can matter.

Man I just have to say -just had my first spin with this 'just for fun" as opposed to testing and it's just great. Some nice fireteam on fireteam in downtown stratis, we had an enemy 4 squad Blufor suppressed on a hill while we were laying heavy fire and grenades at them -some took cover in a building (changed config). The shooting stopped and I went to check the cabin they were ducking around but couldn't see jack due mostly to Blastcore smoke grenade effects, I entered the house than heard in 3d space "fire at that soldier" -meaning me! A enemy was stopped on the stairwell and took me out fast. The way they quickly ducked for cover on first contact than scattered was just juicy and the wherewithall to lay that smoke down, made it dangerous :)

Man I just have to say -just had my first spin with this 'just for fun" as opposed to testing and it's just great. Some nice fireteam on fireteam in downtown stratis, we had an enemy 4 squad Blufor suppressed on a hill while we were laying heavy fire and grenades at them -some took cover in a building (changed config). The shooting stopped and I went to check the cabin they were ducking around but couldn't see jack due mostly to Blastcore smoke grenade effects, I entered the house than heard in 3d space "fire at that soldier" -meaning me! A enemy was stopped on the stairwell and took me out fast. The way they quickly ducked for cover on first contact than scattered was just juicy and the wherewithall to lay that smoke down, made it dangerous :)

Good to know, time for me too to get slaughtered again.

So you've suppressed enemy from lower ground ? Then enjoy your easy victory, it won't last long, high ground will matter more ;)

By the way, you're on today's "official" build, right?

Due to hotfixing and rebalancing it's actually a bit less forgiving, compared to RC version i've sent on sunday.

Especially in CQB.

Sad to know, i'm curious about the cause, bCombat is not supposed to fiddle with respawn.

Do you run only bCombat or other mods too?

can you better describe the issue?

Any informations can matter.

Sure, here is a list of active mods

arma1ewd1q.jpg