fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

I.e., I should not use tpw_mods (the suppresion part of it) with this mod, right? Can enemy units be supressed with bCombat?

Correct. Suppression is modelled by bCombat.

So, just to understand this thread, this is an incomplete addon (as in, not/I] open beta yet) in the complete addon forum? What makes this complete and not WIP?

yeah. While I like the addon itself, the way its release is being handled now is questionable.

So, just to understand this thread, this is an incomplete addon (as in, not/I] open beta yet) in the complete addon forum? What makes this complete and not WIP?

As in there has been a release (albeit a sneaky Xmas one). Yes it is still in beta, and is being further tested (0.15), but this is the cycle that all mods go through.

The thread title will probably drop the [OPEN BETA] part in due course.

@GvsE - are you kidding ? In my opinion the only reason your nose is bent out of shape is because there are closed testers prior to it being opened. Show me another mod that doesn't do this! Fab is doing a superb job.

@Fab - AMBER. Still need some more tests with the AI, especially with LARGE battles to see how bCombat performs. If as before then fine.

Edited by Kremator

As in there has been a release (albeit a sneaky Xmas one). Yes it is still in beta, and is being further tested (0.15), but this is the cycle that all mods go through.

I'm just wondering why there was a need for this thread instead of simply using the WIP thread, given that this is still WIP. If it's a release, then that Xmas release should have been this thread. Waited two days before I said anything to see if there would be a download link posted up. Just my suggestion, but I'd suggest that fabrizio put up at least the X-mas link, because otherwise this thread is misleading. It's not complete. I just don't see any point for this thread over the WIP one.

@GvsE - are you kidding ? In my opinion the only reason your nose is bent out of shape is because there are closed testers prior to it being opened. Show me another mod that doesn't do this! Fab is doing a superb job.

I said, I like, hell, I love the mod itself! Why take it out of WIP section if it's clearly still work in progress, though. Otherwise, yeah, fab is doing fabulous job :)

@Fab - AMBER. Still need some more tests with the AI, especially with LARGE battles to see how bCombat performs. If as before then fine.

Well, I just downloaded the latest version from GitHub (I guess there is a more recent private version). Why not just have that link to the file on gitHub? This link: https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat/blob/master/addons/bcombat.pbo

Look, we know fabrizio_T's been here for many years now, but a private test doesn't constitute a release. Other mods have their closed tests prior to creating a release thread in the Complete Addons Forum. That's the difference! There's no reason for you to insinuate why GvsE calls this release "questionable". Because it's questionable because it's not a release.

yeah. While I like the addon itself, the way its release is being handled now is questionable.

Its on github and in Six network. And as for the WIP terminology... Do you care? Most stuff here is work in progress which is good.

I'm just wondering why there was a need for this thread instead of simply using the WIP thread, given that this is still WIP. If it's a release, then that Xmas release should have been this thread. Waited two days before I said anything to see if there would be a download link posted up. Just my suggestion, but I'd suggest that fabrizio put up at least the X-mas link, because otherwise this thread is misleading. It's not complete. I just don't see any point for this thread over the WIP one.

Welcome aboard Antoine.

This is a complete addon, for open beta purpose.

As far as i know this forum is named "ARMA 3 - ADDONS & MODS: COMPLETE", rather than "ARMA 3 - ADDONS & MODS: RELEASED".

So, despite my limited experience, i suppose this was the right place were posting.

That said, testers' final shakedown is already in progress, it highlighted a couple issues which are already fixed, feedback is positive and you're about to get the mod.

May i ask you a little more patience ? Sorry if i'm abusing it.

---------- Post added at 20:35 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

Thanks for your feedback. Indeed release is taking more time than planned.

This is due mainly to the ironing out (hotfixing) of a couple reported issues and some dayjob duty ( at the time of this writing, i've just got back home after an unplanned 500km car trip. Sometimes it happens, at least in my life. ).

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:35 ----------

Well, I just downloaded the latest version from GitHub (I guess there is a more recent private version). Why not just have that link to the file on gitHub? This link: https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat/blob/master/addons/bcombat.pbo

Look, we know fabrizio_T's been here for many years now, but a private test doesn't constitute a release. Other mods have their closed tests prior to creating a release thread in the Complete Addons Forum. That's the difference! There's no reason for you to insinuate why GvsE calls this release "questionable". Because it's questionable because it's not a release.

I respect your opinion, as anybody's.

I am probably failing in make you understand the purpose of this thread, as well as the difference between "completion" and "release".

So it's up to you.

May i suggest you to refrain from downloading incomplete / development / untested / interim stuff before proper announcement ? I say it in your interest.

At least please avoid misleading users.

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Its on github and in Six network. And as for the WIP terminology... Do you care? Most stuff here is work in progress which is good.

Please consider version on SIX networks is v0.14 and broken.

It was not posted by me, nor i was informed about that.

I've already requested its removal yesterday, not to cause hassle to users.

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

If AI group is ambushed, as long as most of them return fire immediately to gain fire superiority not leaving autorifleman to do all the suppression leaving him as easy target on first contact. I have read every post on this thread and I am not suggesting finding cover as a first move is always the "right" move. If it's already coded with these behavior then I apologize for going on and on. In most of my AI vs. AI gameplay on v0.14 in CQB, the autorifleman were the first to die which was a shame.

I appreciate this mod and have not seen this level of detail/options in an AI mod ever.

Hi sttosin,

i wished to reply to your post by giving some more insight on bCombat internals, sadly today was not the day.

Be sure i'll comment on this and we'll better debate the whole matter.

---------- Post added at 20:52 ---------- Previous post was at 20:50 ----------

Let me know about that. ASAP please, or we'll be both sent to the stake ;)

---------- Post added at 20:57 ---------- Previous post was at 20:52 ----------

I would like to thank anybody is still silently waiting for the release.

I'm still awaiting feedback from a few testers, i'm confident i'll get it soon.

Some time was spent yesterday, some will be spent tonight on hotfixing minor issues.

Tomorrow we'll finally get things moving ;)

Edited by fabrizio_T

I posted this on the alive thread and will post here also.

Just some feedback using LAN and not sure if it's related with bcombat, using Alive+bcombat I found I lost control of an injured unit in my group when respawning, medic would move to unit to heal but could not heal and injured unit would give status report but would/could not move anywhere. Again maybe unrelated, maybe someones experienced similar?

UPDATE

Versioning, hotfixing and minor re-balancing ( based on ebarstad feedback ) complete.

According to overall testers' feedback to date light is green.

Unless i'm getting some showstopping feedback here within 12 hours from now, tomorrow is the day.

Thanks to everybody, good night.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Great!

Will it be on play withSIX?

Thanks for efforts.

I've discussed this with Sickboy, who is a nice guy.

Putting it on withSiX now would require coding workarounds in order to get it working without complete pbo packaging (something i'm not willing to do for many reasons).

So i've asked him to temporarily pull bCombat from withSIX, the way it's installed makes mod misfunctioning (it fails loading userconfig from expected path) and i've already had many complaints by withSIX players.

I'll ask him to put it back later, once bCombat is ready to be packaged as regular, signed .pbo.

In the meantime you may do a regular (manual) install, it's quick and easy.

Edited by fabrizio_T

oh yea i have been meaning to post up, Super_Green. I really dont know what to say, the AI dont over do the smoke which is nice. and it seems to be fairly well placed. I have the buildings for cover enabled and i dont see them getting stuck. but maybe its be cause they come into contact and move. As always i tweek the setting a bit after running out the box a few times.

I got a question. Do you have any plans to add the ability for AI to use flares at night upon enemy contact for illuminating enemy pos? Targeting the Enemy and poping flares on their Pos. Just asking because it seems like a good fit. you got the ai using grenades, and now smoke. Once you have refined the smoke and the grenades, are they any plans for the flares? And same thing with static defense teams. IE units with backpacks for deployable static weapons. any plans to have a unit that has a deployable weapon be able to deploy it and use it agains players? or is this completely outside the scope of this mod? probably, well thought i would ask anyway.

Curious if you plan to stay with Stable until next full patch as the current Dev patch seems to have made some nice upgrades to AI?

Good morning to all.

Thanks to testers for (positive) feedback and my praise for the dedication shown across over 2 months.

I'm currently managing to commit hotfixes to master branch to get package ready for release.

You'll get bCombat today.

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Curious if you plan to stay with Stable until next full patch as the current Dev patch seems to have made some nice upgrades to AI?

I'd like to, but this problem ( http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16783&nbn=1 ) is going to significatively break this mod as well as many others.

Sadly its resolution is out of my control.

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 ----------

I got a question. Do you have any plans to add the ability for AI to use flares at night upon enemy contact for illuminating enemy pos? Targeting the Enemy and poping flares on their Pos. Just asking because it seems like a good fit. you got the ai using grenades, and now smoke. Once you have refined the smoke and the grenades, are they any plans for the flares? And same thing with static defense teams. IE units with backpacks for deployable static weapons. any plans to have a unit that has a deployable weapon be able to deploy it and use it agains players? or is this completely outside the scope of this mod? probably, well thought i would ask anyway.

Flares seem a reasonable addition.

deployable weapons look a bit out of bCombat scope though.

Something i'm willing to consider adding is AI units manning nearby static weapons, give some type of waypoint (e.g. HOLD).

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

UPDATE

To keep it short, bCombat v0.15 was just released.

Enjoy.

Edited by fabrizio_T

I've just added a poll on AI accuracy.

Please participate with your vote, your feedback is going to influence next release.

Edited by fabrizio_T

I felt maybe just a bit too high, just a bit.. Probably could be almost fine for me, not much in it, guess it's down to personal taste.

EDIT: I changed to almost fine, I think thats more how I feel about.

Edited by Katipo66

I felt maybe just a bit too high, just a bit.. Probably could be almost fine for me, not much in it, guess it's down to personal taste.

Yes it's a matter of taste (and settings), but yet it may be fine tuned in order to make majority of people comfortable with it.

---------- Post added at 12:18 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

Now finally cooling down a bit after a few hectic days ...

OT: i'm considering buying IRON FRONT, anybody considering it worth? How well is going its ArmA 3 port? Any opinions? Ty.

Edited by fabrizio_T

just finished a fun test. i turned the ai's accuracy way down and shake up. I had a med range enguagment as an enemy group had to cross a road in the open view of my squad. as they ran across we opened up and lay'd down a blanket of bullets. it was funny! the enemy layed down and continued to crawl evading our fire by rolling left and right occasionally. so picture one by one as each unit in the enemy squad came to the road they would lay down and crawl, and roll back and fourth.. I dont think we killed a single one... it was just fun to watch!!

why are you not using CfgFunctions class?

why are you not using CfgFunctions class?

You mean adding to it?

It's something i've recently considered.

At first i had a few functions and it seemed overkill.

Now it would make sense indeed.

I'm even considering some architectural revision for bCombat, e.g. moving to scripted fsm for most stuff.

Sadly this is off-limits for now due to job / time constraints.

Edited by fabrizio_T

OT: i'm considering buying IRON FRONT, anybody considering it worth? How well is going its ArmA 3 port? Any opinions? Ty.

I bought IF when it was released but didn't really play it that much as there were too many issues. A recent community patch has fixed most of these as far as I can tell.

You can run it now in Arma 3 with a few downloads and a batch file:

https://dev.withsix.com/projects/lib-issue-tracker/wiki/Wiki?version=4

The models, units, etc are very well done.. sounds are just OK. Tanks are awesome!! If you're a WWII buff at all it's worth the $10 or so