fabrizio_t

[OPEN BETA] [SP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate AI firing accuracy within bCombat v0.15?

• Way too low
    • A bit low
    • Almost fine
    • A bit high
    • Way too high

*** v0.18 FINAL Available on GitHub & Steam ***

[OPEN BETA] [sP] bCombat infantry AI Mod

image6b.jpg

github.png steam.png withsix.png armaholic.png

DESCRIPTION

bCombat is an ArmA 3 infantry AI enhancement mod in form of addon.

It's currently Single Player only. CBA is this only requirement.

The project home page is: https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat.

bCombat aims to achieve both a more aware and human-alike infantry AI.

It features an unique ecosystem, including an event-driven AI morale / skill system as well as many optional AI enhancements.

Highlights:

• Full-featured morale system: morale affects both AI behaviour and combat effectiveness. AI will act aggressively or passively depending on circumstances.
  • Event driven AI behaviour: any environmental events such as enemies inbound, heard gunfire, suppressive fire, nearby explosions and ricochets or casualties have an effect on AI behaviour.
  • Real-time suppression effects: bCombat relies on (included) bDetect framework for accessing real-time ballistic information on any bullets flying by on the battlefield.
  • Automatic (gunfire aware) stance handling: units will crouch, sprint or go prone according to situation
  • Reduced (excessive) AI firing accuracy.
  • Enhanced fire & movement routines
  • AI units proactively lay suppressive fire and suffer sensible morale / skill penalty when suppressed.
  • Increased AI survivability: better use of cover, movement and suppressive fire lead to longer firefights.
  • Player led AI units require far less micro-management on the battlefield.
  • Modular mod architecture: optional features may be toggled on/off or tweaked at will.

Optional (toggleable) features include:

• Custom move to cover behaviour
  • Mutual covering behaviour
  • Suppressive fire behaviour
  • Specialized suppressive / overwatch behaviour
  • Custom fleeing behaviour
  • Surrendering behaviour
  • CQB enhancements
  • Enhanced hearing: units do hear gunfire and explosions at distance
  • Investigate behaviour: units alerted by casualties or gunfire may move to nearby places to investigate enemy presence
  • Enhanced grenade throwing: very short to long distance, includes blind throwing over obstacles
  • Smoke grenade throwing
  • Automatic formation tightening feature
  • Faster movement feature
  • Friendly fire damage capping
  • Custom damage multiplier
  • And more ...

All this is delivered pre-configured and ready to go, while it can be tweaked at will via its own configuration file (config.sqf).

Except Steam Workshop version.

REQUIREMENTS

Download and install latest CBA distribution, get it from here: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cca/files

INSTALLATION

It is imperative to comply with the installation instructions, in order to avoid any misfunctioning.

Carefully follow instructions reported here:

https://github.com/fabrizioT/bCombat

MEDIA

bCombat v0.15 RC video by ebarstad.

Short video showing OPFOR acting aggressively in CQB.

Group was simply given a GUARD waypoint.

(Player was set captive).

This video shows autoriflemen stopping on height in front of Charkia and providing overwatch / suppression fire while their own groups advance through the village.

NOTICE: autoriflemen are identified by balloons over their heads (other units have no balloons).

bCombat v0.14 - Assault on Charkia footage, you may wish to compare with previously posted video featuring v0.11.

bCombat v0.13 - experiment: units investigating after hearing a nearby explosion

bCombat v0.13 - testing / Sniper in action from 500m.

bCombat v0.13 - CQB grenade throwing

bCombat v0.13 pitched fighting

Preview video, showing some AI groups storming Charkia village.

THANKS

This mod wouldn't have seen the light without the efforts of the following people:

• Mustangdelta
  • Lordprimate
  • ebarstad
  • TheCapulet
  • Mr_Centipede
  • Katipo66
  • gammadust
  • RAINF
  • gagi
  • Kremator
  • SavageCDN
  • stun
  • froggyluv
  • The Hebrew Hammer
  • bravo409
  • GDSN
  • willywonka

Thanks to my dedicated testers, to ARMA community and to BIS.

FEEDBACK

Any constructive feedback is welcome, as long as expressed in a polite and mature manner.

DISCLAIMER

The modification is provided as is, without warranty of any kind.

Author is not responsible for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damage of any kind, without limitation.

github.png steam.png withsix.png armaholic.png

Edited by fabrizio_T
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

just a single word:

EPIC

is it really only working in SP currently or did you never tested MP yet?

v0.15 package is currently being sent to official testers for evaluation.

As soon as they'll give green light open beta will begin.

---------- Post added at 18:39 ---------- Previous post was at 18:27 ----------

just a single word:

EPIC

is it really only working in SP currently or did you never tested MP yet?

Not tested in MP, but i'm pretty sure there would be a few issues.

Waiting anxiously to see AI engaing in CQB efficiently... is there a option in the userconfig for disabling the debbuging icons (overhead balls, arrows n stuff)?

cheers!

;2597354']Waiting anxiously to see AI engaing in CQB efficiently... is there a option in the userconfig for disabling the debbuging icons (overhead balls' date=' arrows n stuff)?

cheers![/quote']

They're already disabled in the open beta package.

Edited by fabrizio_T

Please doublecheck "bcombat_config.hpp" file exists within the path:

<Your Arma 3 main folder>\userconfig\bcombat\bcombat_config.hpp

Has that been changed since 0.14?

In the 0.14 archive bcombat_config.hpp was directly included in the userconfig directory, i.e. there was no subdirectory for the mod.

Has that been changed since 0.14?

In the 0.14 archive bcombat_config.hpp was directly included in the userconfig directory, i.e. there was no subdirectory for the mod.

Yes, it's changed since v0.15.

It's documented into changelog.

Not tested in MP, but i'm pretty sure there would be a few issues.

i played 0.14 mp in 3-4 missions and didnt encounter obvious issues. no real systematic testing though.

Sent from mobile

i played 0.14 mp in 3-4 missions and didnt encounter obvious issues. no real systematic testing though.

Sent from mobile

As long as AI units stay local to server i think it should partly work already ( except for some animations and local commands).

At leaste many people reported that. That said, locality switching is likely to cause problems though.

---------- Post added at 00:13 ---------- Previous post was at 00:10 ----------

If you want help to get it working in MP PM me.

Ottimo lavoro ;)

This is interesting ;)

I'll contact you as soon as i consider SP solid enough to move on.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 00:17 ---------- Previous post was at 00:13 ----------

NOTICE

To those playing on DEV builds:

Please consider that ArmA 3 versions after v1.08 (stable) are plagued by a likely bug affecting selectWeapon scripting command.

see ticket: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16783

If you plan to run bCombat please stick to stable version till the issue is sorted.

---------- Post added at 00:41 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

I see 12 testers out of 20 already downloaded v0.15 RC testing package.

I thank them for their dedication.

Hope to get their feedback ( "fine" or "broken" ) soon.

Good night.

I've tried to play 0.14, but it disables all of TMR's features. Not sure why, other people have used the two together just fine.

Fab is it me or is it the targeting thing have a bug ...I set up same scenario in stratis two snipers me and ai and when I tell him to attackleader or any soldier he takes his time and finally runs to a area and then says target I tell him to fire and sometimes he doesnt should I make video of this to show you or have you seen this? Other then that they move better and more real like also They seem to use cover better.

I've only had time to run a couple tests. Some quick 0.15 feedback (Stable branch, default config):

• The smoke is awesome. The AI actually throws it between themselves and those firing at them and not in some random direction. My frame rate is definitely affected by the smoke, but that's not really a bCombat issue.
  • I'm not a fan of the new AI rolling while prone, often because it looks like they roll without actually moving laterally (i.e., they roll in place), which looks silly and adds no real evasive benefit.
  • First contact behaviour seems a little weird (for lack of a better term). I'll make a video to show what I mean. AI don't seem to be moving to cover; rather, some of them just kneel down where they are until they clue into the firefight. As a result, I'm seeing a lot more dead soldiers at first contact than before. EDIT: Just to elaborate: There's a bit of a reactionary delay when AI makes first contact. Sometimes it's just a second; sometimes it's longer. It's like they're deciding what to do. Previously, it seemed like the AI would either head for cover or start firing almost immediately.
  • AI spot distance doesn't seem to be as far as in previous versions of the mod.

Edited by ebarstad

Great stuff! Looking forward to give 0.15 a go when it's ready.

/KC

[*]First contact behaviour seems a little weird (for lack of a better term). I'll make a video to show what I mean. AI don't seem to be moving to cover; rather, some of them just kneel down where they are until they clue into the firefight. As a result, I'm seeing a lot more dead soldiers at first contact than before. EDIT: Just to elaborate: There's a bit of a reactionary delay when AI makes first contact. Sometimes it's just a second; sometimes it's longer. It's like they're deciding what to do. Previously, it seemed like the AI would either head for cover or start firing almost immediately.

[*]AI spot distance doesn't seem to be as far as in previous versions of the mod.

Yeah did some more testing and I see what Ebarstad is saying there reaction isn't fast enough in fact they stay on the road or out in the field and not run for immediate cover when bullets start flying. Also I haven't seen any smoke thrown so dont know what thats about also I'm running my test with DEV VER...So that could be some of the problem tomorrow will test with stable Ver. I test DEv because I read that they did some ai fixing so thought I would give it a go,probably not wise to do.So yeah Reaction could be faster and the spotting is not as far too So Ebarstad is spot on about these.

Here's a 3:45 video of my test scenario (both teams are trying to reach the red ball in the centre of town - MOVE, SAFE waypoint). Not sure how the guy survived the grenade at 1:07 or so. You get to see a lot of smoke and some overwatch. A lot of good movement.

This is most promising. Thanks for your hard work!

Hmmm, the AI I was watching seem to grab cover very fast < 5 seconds first contact. http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m594/froggyluv/BCombat_zpsfb49cbbf.jpg

Replayed it approx 8 times and this AI squad which starts around but not in that enclave take up nice defensive stance pretty well each time. This was a fully AI controlled squad and if I made myself their commander they simply do not utilize the enclosure as well -perhaps due to formation issues. I notice that when under my control, they take a little longer deciding where to go for cover and split up more -which lends itself well to their survival should they survive the first push. Bad side was advancing toward enemy with my too loose group who didn't help me much -lol -but kept themselves alive.

Overall I really like the quick movement, stances, a move to cover -now if we could only convince them to actually STAY in cover! IMO the mod works best with smaller fireteams in Urban combat -large fireteams can get messy and stop making sense. Lastly I will say that I may continue to use the suppression balls etc... I know they give away exact location but as we are lacking proper audio/visual clues of what a soldier's thinking -the graphical emote reminds me of turn based tac shooter games -and that ain't a bad thing.

Also this was on Stable build -no real performance hit that I could see between native and BCombat.

I've only had time to run a couple tests. Some quick 0.15 feedback (Stable branch, default config):

• The smoke is awesome. The AI actually throws it between themselves and those firing at them and not in some random direction. My frame rate is definitely affected by the smoke, but that's not really a bCombat issue.
  • I'm not a fan of the new AI rolling while prone, often because it looks like they roll without actually moving laterally (i.e., they roll in place), which looks silly and adds no real evasive benefit.
  • First contact behaviour seems a little weird (for lack of a better term). I'll make a video to show what I mean. AI don't seem to be moving to cover; rather, some of them just kneel down where they are until they clue into the firefight. As a result, I'm seeing a lot more dead soldiers at first contact than before. EDIT: Just to elaborate: There's a bit of a reactionary delay when AI makes first contact. Sometimes it's just a second; sometimes it's longer. It's like they're deciding what to do. Previously, it seemed like the AI would either head for cover or start firing almost immediately.
  • AI spot distance doesn't seem to be as far as in previous versions of the mod.

Thanks for reporting back, ebarstad.

The "fancy" rolling animation can be disabled altogether by setting. bcombat_fancy_moves = false.

Alternatively you may further reduce its frequency setting bcombat_fancy_moves_frequency lower (as default its probability is 10% ).

It's mainly a "cosmetic" addition supposed to add a small bit of variety, nothing really functional.

About first contact:

i'm not sure it's the case, but i suppose units showing the weird behaviour were not fired upon at first and they basically stayed in formation.

If so, it is likely that they didn't switch to combat mode.

The threshold distance for automatic danger kicking-in was 250 meters for v0.14, 200 meters for v0.15. So the 200-250m. range shows a different behaviour.

This was done to avoid groups slowing down much far from target (groups in danger mode mive at about 1/2 - 2/3 pace).

As you noticed spotDistance was indeed reduced in order to limit some stealth issues affecting vanilla as well.

Minimum spotDistance was reduced about 30%, maximum spotDistance was cut 20%.

Both settings need careful balancing. Since you spotted issues, may i ask you to put in v0.14 settings and check whether the issue is gone?

You may achieve this by changing bcombat_danger_distance to 250 instead of 200, within config.sqf;

Then you have to set back spotDistance[] = {0,0.3,1,0.6}; instead of spotDistance[] = {0,0.2,1,0.5};, within bcombat_config.hpp (Game restart required).

---------- Post added at 09:37 ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 ----------

Hmmm, the AI I was watching seem to grab cover very fast < 5 seconds first contact. http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m594/froggyluv/BCombat_zpsfb49cbbf.jpg

Replayed it approx 8 times and this AI squad which starts around but not in that enclave take up nice defensive stance pretty well each time. This was a fully AI controlled squad and if I made myself their commander they simply do not utilize the enclosure as well -perhaps due to formation issues. I notice that when under my control, they take a little longer deciding where to go for cover and split up more -which lends itself well to their survival should they survive the first push. Bad side was advancing toward enemy with my too loose group who didn't help me much -lol -but kept themselves alive.

Overall I really like the quick movement, stances, a move to cover -now if we could only convince them to actually STAY in cover! IMO the mod works best with smaller fireteams in Urban combat -large fireteams can get messy and stop making sense. Lastly I will say that I may continue to use the suppression balls etc... I know they give away exact location but as we are lacking proper audio/visual clues of what a soldier's thinking -the graphical emote reminds me of turn based tac shooter games -and that ain't a bad thing.

Also this was on Stable build -no real performance hit that I could see between native and BCombat.

I think both ebarstad and you may be right, actually.

At short range (urban combat) or when under fire, as long as much cover is close, units are likely to move into cover fine.

Compared to v0.14 the problematic ranges may be 200-250m. (becaused of reduced bcombat_danger_distance value), or over 400m. (reduced maximum spotDistance).

As a sidenote, v0.15 adds another small feaure: whenever a group is being fired upon by unknown enemies, its units resort moving into close cover as top priority.

This as long as some cover is close. Cover search radius, as you may have noticed, is capped to 15 meters for convenience.

Your observation about small fireteams is spot on. Usually 4-6 men groups are best in combat, in my experience.

Anything bigger is worse due to pathfinding issues making units moving back and forth endlessly, while group movement itself is slowed to a crawl.

It's interesting thats you saw no noticeable overhead compared to vanilla.

I'm seeing that as well, that's good news since i was expecting some drawback after addition of CQB hi-frequency code.

Forgot to write that debug may be turned on by setting bcombat_dev_mode = true; within config.sqf.

I think you already found it ;). By the way, it would be possible to hide debug balloons for enemy side, would that help ?

I'll wait it on Play withSIX.

or you can help debug and test it... ....

FAB downloaded .15 already. about to fire it up and test

Edited by Lordprimate

Fab is it me or is it the targeting thing have a bug ...I set up same scenario in stratis two snipers me and ai and when I tell him to attackleader or any soldier he takes his time and finally runs to a area and then says target I tell him to fire and sometimes he doesnt should I make video of this to show you or have you seen this? Other then that they move better and more real like also They seem to use cover better.

bravo, the issue is likely to be linked to the spotDistance reduction i wrote about above, as long as you haven't colliding mods installed.

Then 2 important things:

1) please play on stable version, as i wrote DEV builds are "broken"

2) When you posted this video, a while ago, i forgot to mention a matter: you're playing on very low FPS even with a handful of units on the ground.

bDetect is auto-adaptive and on low fps (under 15) it degrades its perfromance till almost switching off.

In the video the S.DELAY readings were in average at 1.9 - 2.0, which mean bDetect almost shut off ( 2.0 is the minimum).

Since optimal S.DELAY is about 0.1, this means you may lose up to 95% of the bullets tracking in a crowded environment.

bDetect is the backbone of bCombat, so this fact alone leads to lesser suppressiojn penalties being applied, missed AI reactions and more.

Not to mention that even ArmA 3 vanilla AI should degrade itself on low FPS.

I think you need a faster PC, or you may try lowering your game resolution and removing AA.

Try to get at least 20 FPS average and both vanilla and bCombat AI will behave generally better.

Edited by fabrizio_T

^^^ Yes I too noticed that AI got pretty dumb in the Charkia mission as I had lousy performance due to forgetting to both OC my CPU, lower some settings and running Blastcore -FPS was suffering and all over the place.

By the way, it would be possible to hide debug balloons for enemy side, would that help ?

Yes, would be much appreciated if not too much work. Really enjoying the evolution of this addon which is quickly becoming a must have.

I'll wait it on Play withSIX.

Beware, at the moment bCombat needs to be installed as per-instructions.

(Actually it's very easy to install, as you haven't even to fiddle with ArmA shortcut).

Not ranting, but recently i've had many people complaining about bCombat v0.14 after having installed it via the SIX client.

Sadly the culprit in the majority of cases was an installation not in accordance with provided instructions (so configuration hpp was not properly loaded).

This was quite frustrating for me and led to a massive waste of time ...

Edited by fabrizio_T