Sign in to follow this  
ynefel

No enemy AI on custom map when run on server

Hey guys,

Question regarding enemy AI on a custom/modified map on my dedicated server.

I've exported the Escape from Altis mission from the ArmA3 PBO files, made some modifications - just added some vehicles and a crate full of goodies to the starting area.

For some reason, when I preview the map in the editor, it works perfectly - the AI is present, hostile, working fine. When I export the mission to MP, copy it over and run it on my dedicated server box - there's no AI anywhere to be found. The map loads fine, everything's there - no errors. Just no enemy AI anywhere to be found. Except for a helo and some NPC civvies. Clearly missing something fundamental here. I'm aware the respawn systems can not work properly until out of editor, but enemy AI disappearing? Not sure what the go is.

Interestingly, I did the same thing with Escape from Stratis and that works just fine. Enemy are present on my dedicated server, no worries. That was the same thing - exported the file, added vehicles and a crate at spawn, and all was fine.

Anyone know why Escape from Altis isn't doing the same?

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Why that specific mission isn't working, I couldn't help you. In a general sense though, the problem you're describing is due to locality, and given whats happening, the misuse of a machine limiting command.

My guess is that the mission that is not working was created only with local hosting in mind, where the Host isServer and isClient, but not isDedicated (probably no mention of Dedicated). My money is on this: The scripts that are creating the AI were fixed executed !isServer or !isDedicated, then further down the line executed as isServer or even isDedicated, but since those were eliminated, nothing spawns.

Long story short, your AI enemies need to be spawned by the server, be it you as host or the DS as server. If they are spawned by every client, well, it'll end up like my mission, where instead of 1 vehicle spawning on a marker, 8 did, and 7 of them became asteroids. Amazing to watch, might I add. Best mistake I've ever made.