Sign in to follow this  
stapler8

Battlefield-Esque mission

I'm currently working on a mission to make an ArmA 3-BattleField crossover.

I loved how games like BattleField 2 and ArmA 3 feel; smooth and fun, but I found that both were lacking in the other's features. ArmA 3 lacks that instant in, play for 20 minutes feel, and BF2 lacks realism.

Downloads:

0.05 Alpha version. -Unstable

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214365494

0.06 Alpha -Unstable

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/75813533/BF%20Unstable%20builds/bf.stratis.rar

Features:

Respawning attack choppers, ATV's, and armored offroads.

Player Respawns.

Vehicle abandoning (Walking 50M away from MOST vehicles will cause them to explode. Note: Explosion may be changed in the future to prevent team damage, I'll see what I like more.

TDM-style gameplay

OpFor vs BluFor. BluFor vs Greenbacks / OpFor vs Greenbacks may happen if there's a demand for it.

No addons required! Everything is done inside ArmA 3, without ANY scripts!

Planned:

Conquest-style gamemode

The ability to pick loadouts

Altis map if it feels necessary, although Stratis should do for now.

AI support (Maybe)

Jets

"Party" gamemodes. (Tank battle, dogfight, etc...)

All suggestions are welcome! I could use help with a lot of things I may be asked to implement, so if possible, please include instructions on how to include the feature you want in it, without using scripts/mods.

Changelog:

0.06:

-Completely redone game

-Removed helicopters

-Zone restriction

-Fixed respawning

-TDM

-Notable bug: Zone restriction only works before respawning

0.05:

-Playable Alpha!

-Added Attack Chopper to OpFor

-Added ATV's to OpFor

-Published to Workshop

-Fixed Bug: Not being able to leave spawn as OpFor

-Fixed Bug: AI Moving if accidentally left enabled.

-Notable bug: Respawning not working during SP testing (All Teams)

-Notable bug: Vehicles respawn oddly. Unnoticeable unless you're within close range of the vehicle spawns.

0.04a:

-Added OpFor

-Added gamemode "TDM"

-Shortened Mission Name, reducing annoying symbols.

-Added OpFor Offroad (Armed)

-Added MSE3 Marid

-Fixed Bug: Vehicles clipping through walls

-Fixed Bug: Players being in the same squad (Undid my change in 0.03a)

-Fixed Bug: BluFor AI moving around during SP testing

-Removed M5 Sandstorm MLRS

-Added AMV-7 Marshall

-Notable bug: Respawning not working during SP testing (All Teams)

-Notable bug: Vehicles respawn oddly. Unnoticeable unless you're within close range of the vehicle spawns.

-Note: Next version should be a public release! I'm all excited for it!

0.03a:

-Added player respawning and tweaked vehicle respawning, should run a lot better now.

-Removed explosions on abandoning vehicles

-Increased the amount of players to 7, a nice prime number for testing.

-Fixed the players being in the same squad, causing messages upon death. (eg: 2, KIA)

-Added M5 Sandstorm MLRS

-Removed test vehicles

-Fixed bug: Vehicles not respawning properly

-Fixed bug: Vehicle explosions damaging player when abandoned

Edited by stapler8
Version update

Hi, can I ask what style of game play it will incorporate? Eg ive played a bit of king of the hill TDM online as there's not much other choice for me, it's a lot of fun but it's very run and gun and it becomes tiring quickly, in my head I've always imagined playing BF type missions but at an Arma pace so to speak but I have come to the realization that this will probably never happen, the thing that completely put me of BF was spawn die x 1000 every minute.

So maybe there could be a bit more of a hardcore mode with limits on respawn for both player and vehicle, the inability for a player to just take a vehicle and go off on his/her own, so in order to use a vehicle you would require at least 2 or 3 players etc.. I don't mean completely hardcore but somehow get that balance right.

Also I hear on these forums public servers suck, no team work etc etc so I've thought of ways (if I could script) to encourage players to at least move together in a reasonably tight group or groups and one way maybe is in the respawn area, for example if you die within a certain radius of other players then you have the ability to be revived on the spot, it's hard to explain what I mean but it's something like if there is a group of say 4-5 players within a 20meter radius and one dies he then has the ability to be revived there on the spot, if you wish to lone wolf you simply respawn back at base with a one minute (or some painfully long time) respawn etc.

Anyway I'm just rambling man, good luck with it :)

Edited by Katipo66

Also I hear on these forums public servers suck, no team work etc etc so I've thought of ways (if I could script) to encourage players to at least move together in a reasonably tight group or groups and one way maybe is in the respawn area, for example if you die within a certain radius of other players then you have the ability to be revived on the spot, it's hard to explain what I mean but it's something like if there is a group of say 4-5 players within a 20meter radius and one dies he then has the ability to be revived there on the spot, if you wish to lone wolf you simply respawn back at base with a one minute (or some painfully long time) respawn etc.

A bit off topic but give the AW Invade and Annex a try sometime. For public server play I think it trumps Domination pretty well ;)

@stapler8 It's a great goal you have there! I own and play BF4 as well but end up in A3 most nights just for the lack of spawn & die and the other more obvious reasons. Watching your thread with interest!

At first, you can't launch your mission without searching for it in documents folder and replacing to arma 3 MPMissions folder.

Second, WHERE'S DESCRIPTION FILE?! Respawn don't work.

Third, bases placement is awful, where the buck must players fight?

If first and second problems are my fault (i'm doing something wrong maybe), tell me about it. If it isn't, well, you know your mistakes now.

Also, If someone know how to make zone restricion (or make zone restricion module work) TELL MEH D:

Also x2, I'm interested in BF like mission too, so, maybe, we can help each other.

Also x3, With corrections. But, I think, you can't make whole mission just using arma standart scripts. Sadly.

At first, you can't launch your mission without searching for it in documents folder and replacing to arma 3 MPMissions folder.

If first and second problems are my fault (i'm doing something wrong maybe), tell me about it. If it isn't, well, you know your mistakes now.

Also, If someone know how to make zone restricion (or make zone restricion module work) TELL MEH D:

Also x2, I'm interested in BF like mission too, so, maybe, we can help each other.

Also x3, With corrections. But, I think, you can't make whole mission just using arma standart scripts. Sadly.

No, you're not doing anything wrong.

Steam does not place the file in your MPMissions folder, and there isn't a workaround. This is a recurring problem.

The respawning I can not test, as I am the only person working on the project, and when all players are dead, I keep getting a "You have lost -All players are dead" screen.

Thirdly, I am going to finish up the bases and make it the entirety of Stratis, this was a test build for feedback.

Thanks for the feedback, I found it very useful!

Stapler8

PS: Add me on steam, if you would like to assist me in working on this.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SilentSniperUT

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

I haven't tried A&A before in ArmA 3, I'd be einterested in trying it though, I'll give it a shot and see if I can incorporate it into the mission.

Thanks for the feedback,

stapler8

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

If you know how to incorporate those (Scripts would be fine, as I guess I need to use them at some point... :/), please let me know, as they seem like great ideas

---------- Post added at 21:49 ---------- Previous post was at 21:46 ----------

This will be more focused on squad-based objective gameplay like ArmA. You will end up dying less if you're doing your job right. It will still have the tactical realism, albiet at a much more relaxed level. The spawns are 2.5-3KM apart (Will be in the full version) meaning that getting killed 1000x a minute won't be possible. As for a hardcore mode, that seems logical, let me know if this seems like a good idea.

The game will check to see if there's more than 30 players on. If there is, hardcore mode will be enabled, meaning that you must have a passenger in your vehicle if you're on the winning side, with the exception of the littlebird and ATV's.

I have no idea how to add this to my game, but if anyone is willing to give me a hand, it would be amazing.

Thanks for posting,

stapler8

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:49 ----------

Holy shit, thanks a lot for that .pbo. I'm terribad with scripting, so any help is nice.