Sign in to follow this  
sancron

AMD Mantle Support possible?

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/amd-on-mantle-we-want-our-gaming-api-to-become-the-industry-standard-1218560

"After that phase is done, we do hope that Mantle becomes an industry standard. We'll be releasing a public SDK later this year, and hope that others adopt it. If they don't adopt it itself, then we hope they adopt APIs similar to it that become an industry standard for PC gaming."

I'm so sick of Nvidia resisting to cooperate in every possible way and causing huge drawbacks in the general development of graphics, while AMD keeps working on industry standards and open source. It's time to vote with feet - my next GPUs will be AMD and I hope that others will do the same...

I'm so sick of Nvidia resisting to cooperate in every possible way and causing huge drawbacks in the general development of graphics, while AMD keeps working on industry standards and open source. It's time to vote with feet - my next GPUs will be AMD and I hope that others will do the same...

If you don't know the reference here

If you don't know the reference here

... really nice video, sometimes one gesture can say more then 1000th words :D

Let's hope that BI is less arrogant. And of course, an minimal-overhead api, like MANTLE, should unload our overused mainthread a lot (arma, dayz, ......).

Edited by Fred41

again when it's available and widely usable we will take look on it ...

as i repeatedly pointed out, it's not available and it has limited userbase support (GPU list)...

Available it is, although you're right about the GPUs supporting it.

not for usual developers, only selected few ...

They (AMD) were saying more and more devs are approaching them, so I've thought if you ask them (as a developer), implementation and help from their part would be possible. After all, it's not only in your best interest, but also AMD stands to gain more PR image.

Edited by calin_banc

yeah, dont hesitate, AMD has an interest to bring this into the world :D the sooner the better!

Sent from mobile

and what makes you think we didn't contacted AMD right when Mantle was first mentioned ?

again if you read, only very narrow group of selected developers gets and will get access ...

until there is some widely avaiable SDK or so ...

I didn't knew that, only saw the response in which the lack of Mantle support was mainly due to GCN arch for the moment and AMD also wasn't clear about this. Thank you for the update. :)

Thanks Dwarden for commenting on this topic! Its good to see you guys are taking the community seriously.... I haven't been aware of this situation either but of course AMD calls it BETA right now, so it makes kind of sense and might change soon.

Regarding the GCN availability, I don't think that is a true reason. You can't play ARMA3 on much below that level anyway and as said before, upgrading to GCN would not be a prob for most people. upgrading to GCN/Nvidia 7 + Hasswell + Board + RAM + ... is what holds people back.

Thanks again!

Ned

Edited by nedflanders

Regarding the GCN availability, I don't think that is a true reason. You can't play ARMA3 on much below that level anyway.

you don't need gcn/kepler to play arma, runs fine on my gtx 470, it should run similar on a 5870 or 6870, more than fine on a 6970. I've even seen someone on this forum claim he runs it on the 3770K onboard video, if that's tolerable it'll probably still be very playable on gtx280 and 4890.

Anyway, supposedly they'll have a new round of devoper invites soon-ish with mantle, public sdk "later this year" is not very specific unfortunately.

haha thanks dwarden. i know we are quite a bunch of unpatient bastards but we are grateful for every provoced answer which kinda confirms optimization efforts on your side :D

Sent from mobile

Yeah we appreciate you commenting on this topic dwarden, Optimization is one area we would all love to see an improvement on:D

Some video from the steam dev days, they talk about mantle in the end.

nvidia advocates modern opengl to reduce driver overhead

probably interesting, but I dont understand most of it :P

Knowing that there would be mantle support would quite drastically affect my next gpu purchase. Im just one person, but just saying, I know many ppl buy stuff just for the sake of arma :)

Several missions on MP last night I (and most of the other 10-12 players) were only getting 15-20fps. I'm not sure Mantle is going to help here, as I understand that it's the AI running on the server which bogs it down and this results in low fps on the clients.

I think even in SP lots of AI results in low fps, certainly in A2 it did but I haven't played much SP in A3 yet.

Just tested mantle on BF4 on my kids pc with 2 7950 stock and amd phenom ii x4 970 at 4.0 ghz and: 89 fps on high to 124. And 89 fps on high to 104 on ultra! So its a pretty nice boost for free! I dont thing i would get this much for less than $600-1000 changing hardware. So any gains in performance in arma is always good (for free even better!), specially for low end pcs!

both directx and opengl will add "closer to metal" coding features in the future, so who knows what might happen

t depends on settings, if you're on a little island offshore with 500m viewdistance it's really low, but fps will still be low if there's a big battle going on a few km away.

sry for mp is this bullshit - ultra or low - you have the same worst terible fbs. i have testet this in the last 3 days in only pvp missions with no ai !!!

both directx and opengl will add "closer to metal" coding features in the future, so who knows what might happen

This was also one of the goals of Mantle; to get the current industry standards to enhance their architechture at least, if Mantle itself won't become industry standard. We can thank AMD for that!

Lower cpu overhead has been possible with opengl for years, but switching to opengl gets you a bunch of other problems apparantly, so everybody keeps using dx11.

Yeah, Microsoft kept saying how good they're gonna be with the PC community since.... I dunno, forgot it myself. Probably make DX12 exclusive to win9 so producers may have a new reason not to go with closer to the metal stuff. Anyway, once you go Mantle, you never come back! :D

This was also one of the goals of Mantle; to get the current industry standards to enhance their architechture at least, if Mantle itself won't become industry standard. We can thank AMD for that!

this. one way or the other, AMD must be hailed for getting things moving. be it some better DX12 :j:, Mantle or something yet unknown. The future holds more drawcalls. Hopefully for our beloved ARMA3 too.