Sign in to follow this  
Atkins.A

VOIP/VON issues in Arma3

There seem to be a lot of bugs and problems with sounds in Arma3 but now I'll shortly just mention some issues with the VOIP that came up when playing public PvP games with Tactical Battlefield modification but these issues rise from vanilla Arma3:

1. Setting VonCodecQuality to 11 or higher makes the 3D (positional) function of comms to not work

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16789

Atm VonCodecQuality goes up to value 30 but servers can't use any value above 10 if they want to retain the positional effect of the voice comms.

This affects of course Direct Channel but as well other channels which can be heard positionally near the person using the specific channel.

All admins running PvP (well why not other modes as well) should know about this issue and not change the vonquality over 10 if they want to retain the 3D aspect of voice comms. Btw, setting the quality to 30 makes the players sound like chipmunks :)

2. VON/VOIP 3D broadcast attenuates too little over distance

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16790

If a server has a working 3D comms (see 1.) the voice of other player attenuates (diminishes) too little over distance.

Currently the values are roughly:

Direct Communication can be heard to 80 meters with little attenuation.

Other channels: 50 meters with little attenuation.

In other words, enemies hear your voice way to easily and you rather not use any in-game voice comms when u suspect that enemy is within 100 meters.

This just turns ppl to use 3rd party voice apps like TS/Mumble etc. For those interested; If VonCodecQuality is set to 11 or higher (aka breaking the 3dvoip) all channels can be heard to roughly 40 meters with 0 attenuation.

As a TacBF fan I like the PvP action and voice comms are a big part of that mod and I would like to see these issues (at least 2.) looked at.

I know many would say that screw the arma3 voice comms, just use ACRE etc. but atm that is not an option.

What do you guys think about these issues and have you found any other issues with VON that should be reported to feedback.arma3.com?

BI should make good use of that one item that goes beside the GPS. The Radio should be used for chats. Maybe something simple, say the channels are accessed by the Radio, and when someone talks over a certain frequency, it should be coming through the radio that's in your inventory, since the Radio is an actual object in game. Might as well use something with that. However, Direct chat should stay a positional thing. This way, no one has to get a mod just to use the coms properly.

New one I ran into today with a friend. Joined one of the TacBF EU servers (great games by the way!) and my friend could broadcast in VON clearly, could hear all other sounds in the game perfectly but VON (on all channels) were very low volume. We tried cranking up the VON slider, the Effects slider, etc. leaving only the music slider turned down. Never heard of this particular problem before. Checked user profiles and his is more or less the same as mine in the "Volume" entries near the bottom.

Arma VON has always had issues in some way or another.
(Random failures like this really put me in a bad mood.)

-18dB on VON with all settings max high.

Key bindings fine. TS fine. All systems go.

No VON receive; just fine on transmit.

Edited by Tremblay
I shouldn't post while ticked off!

No reason I have to suffer with friction for no reason.

I resent random.

Do I need to expand on that? if I do, I might get life ban or something.

I resent random.

-18dB on VON with all settings max high. (dB ... a measurement of audio volume. Used by people who know their craft. For you: reason to resent me personally, and attack. Otherwise known as allergy to common sense.)

Key bindings fine. TS fine. All systems go.

Oh gee let's have no VON receive. Just for fun. Cuz today ends with a y.

I resent years of random failures in ArmA.

I've invested.

And I write this way because I resent a whole lotta things here. (How this game was designed; rolled out. The community.) Which makes me what ... a traitor? Show me a diagnostic failure indicator and I'll do fault isolation/identification. Would if I could; can't. Don't. Meh ... I'm supposed to smile?

Folk who feel as I do just leave. Without a word.

You lost me pal...

You lost me pal...
Lost myself too.

All settings good; all keybinds ok; all audio fine ... except VON. Way low even when in the same channel and only feet apart.

It really wrecked the session for me.

Addendum: Today I had exactly opposite situation: fine volume, but no transmit. I think it has something to do with the "Let app take exclusive control" in audio settings: I found that my mic level was set to 0. Which is bizarre because it was working find just 18hrs earlier.

All good now. Go figure.

Edited by Tremblay

Arma VON has always had issues in some way or another.

Yea the volume bar in the settings needs to be increased by 10 times so you can start hearing people in direct.

Yea the volume bar in the settings needs to be increased by 10 times so you can start hearing people in direct.

Wasn't the DC affected by the Effect slider only.

Anyway, so far if there has been a volume issue either with DC or other channels, it has always been mic/windows/arma volume settings problem. DC can be heard really well usually to the point that you don't want to use it if don't u want to reveal ur position within 80 meters as stated in this ticket:

You are joking right? They took a voice over net feature and implemented it on general effects? Please tell me you are joking.

He is not. Putting effects down, so you can actually hear people on the means that your directional audio sound is low as well. Anything not coming over the radio channels is controlled by the effects slider.

Sent from my MI 2S using Tapatalk

Does BIS have anyone even looking into VON issues?

Feedback tracker has 9 tickets in VON category and not a single one of them is assigned, reviewed, acknowledged or resolved by BIS.

If I would like to bring more attention to the VON issues, who should I try to contact from BIS to even take a look at these tickets?

Here is yet another VON issue, or in this case lack of feature that 3rd party voice comms have but Arma3 doesn't:

0017517: Team VOIP Channel

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=17517

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?173689-Team-VOIP-Channel-amp-Teams-in-general-%28Feature-Request%29

The issues in this topic are all related in the aspect that 3rd party comms don't have these issues which is why players/modder are moving away from vA3 voice comms cos BIS don't seem to look into these issues, at all.

1. Setting VonCodecQuality to 11 or higher makes the 3D (positional) function of comms to not work

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16789

If a server has a working 3D comms (see 1.) the voice of other player attenuates (diminishes) too little over distance.

I haven't started Arma3 for awhile and actually can't even play it atm cos I don't have a external gpu.

I was just wondering if there has been any development in the 3D voip/audio issues with Arma3 after this was announced:

http://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-audio-roadmap

VON is still the same thats why we wont even use it on or servers. we just use plainold teamspeak with simple mods as Task Force Radio or ACRE (simple as in easy to instal)

I haven't started Arma3 for awhile and actually can't even play it atm cos I don't have a external gpu.

I was just wondering if there has been any development in the 3D voip/audio issues with Arma3 after this was announced:

http://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-audio-roadmap

Hi Atkins..., von got broke afew patches ago. Now we got studders & skips. Seems to be a netcode issue, losing packets or something.

Be worth testing it again because sometimes it works for some people.

VON is truly stuffed and not priority as its been outstanding since they broke it in May or there abouts, ive pretty much given up with the game as I play mainly public servers so need the ingame VON to work but its now so unreliable you just cant use it especially if you have command, side or group chats, sure possibly direct chat may be better but how can that work on a full multi squad mission.

5 months with the same issue = low on priority

Makes me think that this will happen to any DLC that may break, any new additions that may break, depending on who's driving what means it may or may not get any priority especially (in my case) if its game break breaking. Still at least they can sell a few helicopter DLC's in the interim. Voting with my feet. :)

VON is definitely an essential tool for public servers that has been neglected for a while now. The odd thing is that some channels skip more than others. Since some realism is starting to be applied to Arma 3 (weapon inertia, fatigue, advanced rotorlib, marksman dlc, etc) the community would like to see the devs fix the voice chat to an acceptable level and then take it a step further. It would be fantastic if server admins had the option to enable an "advanced voice communications" feature similar to what Task Force Radio (TFR) is already doing. It doesn't even have to be as advanced as TFR but I know many folks would love to have communications that reflect real world physics. Voice comms based on what sort of radio you're using (are you talking on foot on a small radio, a vehicles radio, or in a plane?) and the physical barriers around you that could interfere in the comms (mountains, buildings, inside bunkers, etc) would be fantastic. How great would it be to hear your teammates asking for help but coming in slightly broken (not because of shitty desync but due to the distance from each other) and then have a fellow player in a heli relay the information to the necessary folks, it would really add another dimension to the game. This isn't theoretical banter either, this is shit that happened on our server when we forced users to install and use TFR. The problem we ran into (and reason I had to unforce it) is that many users didn't know how to install TFR (which is a problem on a public server). 100% of the people who took the time to install and use TFR loved it, I just wish this sort of thing was a vanilla concept.

Does BIS have anyone even looking into VON issues?

Feedback tracker has 9 tickets in VON category and not a single one of them is assigned, reviewed, acknowledged or resolved by BIS.

If I would like to bring more attention to the VON issues, who should I try to contact from BIS to even take a look at these tickets?

There are now 12 tickets about VON in the feedback tracker and still not a single one of them is assigned, reviewed, acknowledged or resolved by BIS.

BIS, why?

Edited by Atkins.A