chortles

F-35B Lightning II

are you planing to make it static only? for realism i mean :rolleyes:

cant wait for it to be finished. keep it up
I didn't reply for long not only because of the move but because I didn't have imagery of the pylons and gun pod having come so far along as to deem worth showing... without that, all I'd have to report would be config tweaks that thusfar don't add much to the gameplay.
I so wanna see this in RAAF markings! Great work Chortles, looking very nice.
mwnciboo previously requested the opportunity to reskin it for RN (800 Naval Air Squadron) and RAF, so I'm checking with Ivan about distributing in PSD format (since the default PAA texture is of course BI's).
are you planing to make it static only? for realism i mean :rolleyes:
Did I miss something, or is this more about the F-35B in real life than our work?
very beautiful! great work
All credit there (beyond providing reference imagery) goes to BusterBlader, I'm mostly working the config side of things; as mentioned on the prior page, mankyle also provided a P3D with both the single lift fan door instead of two and an animated (forward/rearward/sideways) flight stick, both of which you may expect in a future update.

Did I miss something, or is this more about the F-35B in real life than our work?.

Methinks it's a snarky quip about how the F35 is apparently broken in real life or something.

yeah Chortles, mean nothing bad about your job and since the F35 actually will be part of many countries airforces and during the time arma3 take place. Its very good (for arma3) but in real life its more a hangar queen than a fighter plane :)

yeah Chortles, mean nothing bad about your job and since the F35 actually will be part of many countries airforces and during the time arma3 take place. Its very good (for arma3) but in real life its more a hangar queen than a fighter plane :)
It should be better for Arma 3 before too long; the CAS loadout represents the Arma 2 incarnation where all four weapons besides the gun were carried internally, but in the next update I look to add a pair of Skalpel ATGMs... I do recognize that this would result in the F-35B loadouts being mirror images of the A 143 Buzzard's except for a higher-caliber gun, but frankly I don't see how many of us would actually mind this for gameplay's sake?

(I have considered in the future the possibility of adding a "multirole" loadout or two combining ASRAAMs and Zephyrs with Skalpels or GBU-12s.)

For what it's worth, BI already made a complete and otherwise functional weapon bay doors animation but didn't tie it to anything, and frankly the "materializing" of the weapons wouldn't even be noticed except from third-person view; I hope to one day achieve a breakthrough such as previously described (the bay doors opening when cycling to certain weapons and closing when cycling away from them to others) but current development isn't driven by expectation thereof.

Little advice on the texture, can you make the texture like the real USMC one? they are much cooler, thanks. Here is a sample
As said before, I'm checking with Ivan about how to go about answering the reskin requests. :)

By the way, thanks to the dev branch changelog for the 3rd of February including an item about "FIX: maxHoldsterValue also considers weapons directly in the vehicle" and pettka declaring that "it should work not only on weapons assigned to turret, but also for the weapons assigned to "driver" of the vehicle (pilot in case of light helos / planes) :icon_twisted: It should solve the issue with the planes", I look forward to quite possibly finally being able to make headway on the weapon bay doors in the future, although (with work this week being busier than before) I'm not sure just when I'll have the chance.

Well. I can confirm that the problem with the "maxHoldsterValue" animations has been solved with the last update. Now the F-35 opens its weapon bays when the ASRAAMs are selected. The Bombs must be edited (they don't have the line that opens the weapon bays) but thanks to BIS this small (but very inmersive detail) works.

Now as it says in wiki (I know that sometimes you cannot rely on Wiki to obtain accurate info but...) the weapons that can be carried in the internal bays for the F-35 are:

AIM-120 AMRAAM

AIM-132 ASRAAM

the Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM)

Paveway series of bombs

the Joint Standoff Weapon (JSOW)

Brimstone anti-armor missiles

AMRAAMs and ASRAAMS can be simulated with Zephyr and ASRAAMs models that are already ingame

Paveway bombs are also ingame and it is just a matter of adding Proxies

JSOW and JDAM use inertial/GPS guidance so maybe a system using Artillery targets and a dialog similar to that of the artillery computer could be created where you made click on the map and a new target would be created.

Brimstone could be based on the DAGR rockets

Some constructive comments, people?

Brimstone could be based on the DAGR rockets

Looking at the Wikipedia page, they appear to be more similar to the Skalpel ATGMs.

Yep, You are right

Something like THIS

Could be useful for CAS missions

Would you please elaborate on what exactly is wrong with the cockpit View here?

The two joysticks are static in cockpit view, if that could be fixed?

The official independent jet has a dynamic joystick where movement matches input. It's very common in many games, like War Thunder.

The two joysticks are static in cockpit view, if that could be fixed?

The official independent jet has a dynamic joystick where movement matches input. It's very common in many games, like War Thunder.

As mentioned on the prior page the right stick is now animated thanks to mankyle, that update simply hasn't gone out yet. :)

Although I've already linked the image of the F-35B with underwing pylons, here are some images of the WIP version(s), thanks to BusterBlader who created and contributed them. :) As previously said, the current plan is to move the ASRAAM proxies over to the outermost ones as per the screenshot on the prior page, then add four new proxies underneath for the other four pylons.

Wonderful! And btw, sorry if it sounded like I wanted updates, I meant as to what you will go on to do with the plane. Looks great though! Any ideas for new textures?

Since it's using the Arma 2 textures, it seems that I'm allowed to redistribute them, though based on a remark of Gnat's the old PAA plugin for Photoshop doesn't work properly, so I'd somehow have to get said textures into PSD...?

Beyond the pylons and attempts at revising the HUD (thusfar none of my attempts at properly centering the HUD have worked, and considering that the FOV is outright different from the A2 version I'm wondering if the proxy is an issue*) though, I'm expecting that future changes will depend on the state of the upcoming CSAT CAS jet.

* The proxy being used in my F-35B port is "\a3\data_f\proxies\Plane_Fighter_01\Pilot".

Create the PSD as normal, then save as either a 32-bit .tga or a .png.

Download the BI Community tools for Arma 2, the version 2.5 which has Texview. And so on...

Since it's using the Arma 2 textures, it seems that I'm allowed to redistribute them, though based on a remark of Gnat's the old PAA plugin for Photoshop doesn't work properly, so I'd somehow have to get said textures into PSD...?

Beyond the pylons and attempts at revising the HUD (thusfar none of my attempts at properly centering the HUD have worked, and considering that the FOV is outright different from the A2 version I'm wondering if the proxy is an issue*) though, I'm expecting that future changes will depend on the state of the upcoming CSAT CAS jet.

* The proxy being used in my F-35B port is "\a3\data_f\proxies\Plane_Fighter_01\Pilot".

Sorry about deviating from the thread subject but i thought youd find this interesting. I believe ive identified the upcoming CSAT CAS jet. From what we can see in the blurry picture they posted, the aircraft is a MiG-35, a prototype based on the MiG-29. Since its still a prototype today, it would be the perfect setup 20 years later in 2035 (also since BI put alot of prototypes and futuristic vehicles in the game).

IMG_5618_sm.jpg

Compare the instruments (mostly the MFDs and the hud)

I love this....But is it possible to pull out the skin direct into a Photoshop Compatible File or is it because it's from BIS Source PBO we cannot extract it? If so I will create a Royal Navy and RAF Version you can add into the pack? I don't want credit I just would love it look right, especially as I'm former Royal Navy myself. I would make it 800 NAS and base it on this Model.

Once I get the Template, I can do Dutch, USMC, USAF, USN whatever...If you do want to share the skin in Photoshop I will get on it immediately. Send it to mwnciboo@gmail.com

To be honest the changes are tiny, it's 95% there, it just needs some minor colour grey tweaks and the markings.

Seriously dude, that is not really doing justice to the guys that actually do or have done real texturing work from scratch. "If I get the base files, I can do almost anything" Well, that's like getting the blueprints for a BMW and building one yourself - calling it something new. Clicky Me. So MWNCHIBOO - I hope you will try to get involved full-on and learn that texturing can take HOURS of drawing and finishing work. If you need examples, I'm here!

Give it a try, you might like it.

@Chortles - If you want, I got some skins that are easily adaptable. Click this link to my own texturing project for ArmA2!

Cheers,

Kaz

Edited by Kazimierz

Seriously dude, that is almost offensive to the guys that actually DO or have done real texturing work from scratch. "If I get the base files, I can do almost anything" No shit sherlock, that's like getting the blueprints for a BMW and building one yourself - calling it something new. Clicky Me. So MWNCHIBOO - please try to get involved instead and learn that texturing can take HOURS of drawing and finishing work. Unless you wanna f**ck (read copy paste magic wand) around in PS of course. Oh, and yeah - my standard is higher than just adding a few roundels on a plane to change its nationality.

Give it a try, you might like it.

@Chortles - If you want, I got some skins that are easily adaptable. Click this link to my own texturing project for ArmA2!

Cheers,

Kaz

I sort of agree with you, but I think your'e overreacting a littlebit, this guy or gal just wants to help out. Maybe he/she is new with texturing, than its great he's/she's trying to bet started somehow.