chortles

F-35B Lightning II

like you have to port the F-22 nes4day?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?114226-F-22A-Raptor is possible?

The situation is different. Porting the F-35 to Arma 3 is covered by the license by BIS, because the P3D is one of the liberated P3Ds with the Arma 2 samples pack.

To be able to port the F-22 Raptor... the original autor should give his/her permission. It is a different situation.

- The P3d will probably be changed a little bit so the engine hatches are more like those of the f-35B.

- I have also taken a look to the RAH-99 blackfoot animations to set the weapon hatches like that in the Lightning but no luck enabling this system yet. I will keep it posted

- The HUD is displaced a little bit to the right. This issue will probably be solved in the next version

Any chance a future version would include some better markings and insignia? I would also love to have this plane with external hardpoints because stealth in ArmA doesn't work anyways and it would be useful to have a true multirole platform.

@ wolfgarth: What mankyle said -- nes4day last posted around the time of Arma 3's official release, so nes4day would have had first rights to that work and the choice of porting or not, or who would/could publicly distribute a port. Moreover, without the source files -- most importantly, unbinarized P3Ds and RVMATs -- I do not believe that I could not modify/port over a mod to the same level of quality of even the original.

@ Sakura_Chan: Unfortunately I've no texturing aptitude or experience, so I at least don't see myself producing new markings and insignia. I can safely say -- with the same consideration in mind that Arma doesn't simulate 'radar stealth' anyway -- that external hardpoints are planned. :D The reason you haven't already seen some is that I found the A-10 and AV8B pylons to be too long to simply reuse without model clipping. That is to say, those aircraft don't have leading edge flaps in Arma, only trailing edge flaps, so on the F-35B their pylons would clip through the leading and/or trailing edge flaps when lowered. Moreover, there's quite a few photos showing off the real-world F-35B's pylons, in particular both their roughly trapezoidal shape (I believe they taper more than the Harrier's) and their placement from near wingtip to approximately mid-wing (the "midboard" ones appear to be closer to the outboard ones), with the outboard pylons having the distinct trait of appearing to hold their air-to-air missiles at an outward cant... so authenticity would need seemingly all-new, F-35B-specific pylon models, though I have been privately messaging about that. :)

And that's just for the external hardpoints, to say nothing of the complexities of the real-world F-35B's weapons bays -- the doors do have an animation for opening and closing, by the way -- in comparison to what BI modeled! For starters, in real life it may look like AMRAAMs are attached to the interior doors, but RKSL-Rock's late May 2012 blog post included an illustration of what's actually going on... and yeah, I am not at this time ready to replicate that.

P.S. I appreciate your inquiry for coming from the modder working on the C-130J and MV-22. :D I'd like to ask about the former, in fact...

@Sakura_Chan & @Chortles,

I have a question, "a bit OT", but are the F35 or the F22, still stealht at those short range (WVR), I mean arent they stealht only BVR ?

And many thanks for your addons

@ 87th_Neptune thx

Edited by Hartmann_E
thanks

Stealth technology is about minimising radar signature. So yes it will still work. Especially the older radar types will have trouble with stealth at short range. Aquisition radars are less affected by it though. I say LESS, they still are affected. But WVR its easy to rely on optics to shoot at him anyway.

@ wolfgarth: What mankyle said -- nes4day last posted around the time of Arma 3's official release, so nes4day would have had first rights to that work and the choice of porting or not, or who would/could publicly distribute a port. Moreover, without the source files -- most importantly, unbinarized P3Ds and RVMATs -- I do not believe that I could not modify/port over a mod to the same level of quality of even the original.

@ Sakura_Chan: Unfortunately I've no texturing aptitude or experience, so I at least don't see myself producing new markings and insignia. I can safely say -- with the same consideration in mind that Arma doesn't simulate 'radar stealth' anyway -- that external hardpoints are planned. :D The reason you haven't already seen some is that I found the A-10 and AV8B pylons to be too long to simply reuse without model clipping. That is to say, those aircraft don't have leading edge flaps in Arma, only trailing edge flaps, so on the F-35B their pylons would clip through the leading and/or trailing edge flaps when lowered. Moreover, there's quite a few photos showing off the real-world F-35B's pylons, in particular both their roughly trapezoidal shape (I believe they taper more than the Harrier's) and their placement from near wingtip to approximately mid-wing (the "midboard" ones appear to be closer to the outboard ones), with the outboard pylons having the distinct trait of appearing to hold their air-to-air missiles at an outward cant... so authenticity would need seemingly all-new, F-35B-specific pylon models, though I have been privately messaging about that. :)

And that's just for the external hardpoints, to say nothing of the complexities of the real-world F-35B's weapons bays -- the doors do have an animation for opening and closing, by the way -- in comparison to what BI modeled! For starters, in real life it may look like AMRAAMs are attached to the interior doors, but RKSL-Rock's late May 2012 blog post included an illustration of what's actually going on... and yeah, I am not at this time ready to replicate that.

P.S. I appreciate your inquiry for coming from the modder working on the C-130J and MV-22. :D I'd like to ask about the former, in fact...

Your F-35 is also very nice looking. I am loving the color of the plane and cockpit glass is a orange color but not to dark

Did some test Yesterday... and found this bug.

This is for reproduce it:

0) plane on the ground; pilot in it;

a) enable autohover (don't turn on the engine);

b) get out from plane (while the plane is on the airfield)

c) get in the airplane again.

--> you don't have anymore the access to the "Autohoover" action

@ Eymerich: Could you provide a repro mission and a list of enabled mods? I just followed your steps exactly, with both the (AA) and (CAS) loadouts on both Altis and Stratis, with no mods enabled* except for the F-35B, and I could not reproduce your reported error with either the action menu or the auto-hover hotkey (X). In all cases the "Auto-hover off" option remained in the action menu and the "Auto-hover" indicator was present in the vehicle HUD; in one case I even re-enabled "Auto-hover" after turning it back off.

* The F-35B mod is designed specifically to be standalone with no mods required except for itself.

I love this....But is it possible to pull out the skin direct into a Photoshop Compatible File or is it because it's from BIS Source PBO we cannot extract it? If so I will create a Royal Navy and RAF Version you can add into the pack? I don't want credit I just would love it look right, especially as I'm former Royal Navy myself. I would make it 800 NAS and base it on this Model.

MG1784_1_Large.jpg

557996195.png

Once I get the Template, I can do Dutch, USMC, USAF, USN whatever...If you do want to share the skin in Photoshop I will get on it immediately. Send it to mwnciboo@gmail.com

To be honest the changes are tiny, it's 95% there, it just needs some minor colour grey tweaks and the markings.

Edited by mwnciboo

@ Eymerich: Could you provide a repro mission and a list of enabled mods? I just followed your steps exactly, with both the (AA) and (CAS) loadouts on both Altis and Stratis, with no mods enabled* except for the F-35B, and I could not reproduce your reported error with either the action menu or the auto-hover hotkey (X). In all cases the "Auto-hover off" option remained in the action menu and the "Auto-hover" indicator was present in the vehicle HUD; in one case I even re-enabled "Auto-hover" after turning it back off.

* The F-35B mod is designed specifically to be standalone with no mods required except for itself.

please accept my apologies.

I don't know neither how or why, but this evening I have tried again and the action autohoover is there.

Also: I have not changed anything so I did a wrong report (which is better).

only thing that i see can be fixed and improved is the cockpit View and also ading an Eject animation similar to the F18/SU-35 mods by saul

otherwise Everything looks amazing. (did notice bug with the missiles )

only thing that i see can be fixed and improved is the cockpit View and also ading an Eject animation similar to the F18/SU-35 mods by saul

Its a direct port of the Arma 2 F-35, i dont think he will modify it in any way, shape or form.

only thing that i see can be fixed and improved is the cockpit View
Would you please elaborate on what exactly is wrong with the cockpit View here? If you're referring to the fact that the 'helmet HUD' (HMD) is off-center relative to the vanilla game crosshair, that's a known issue and a solution is being looked into; that's as much as I can confirm at this time about the HMD. If you're talking about something else... you're gonna have to enlighten me here.
Please provide a 'repro mission' with instructions? That is to say, if you noticed a bug with the missiles, please send me a mission from which I can follow clearly listed steps, without any other mods but the F-35B enabled, and if I play this multiple times and follow the steps exactly each time I can on each time see this bug.

If you're talking about the ASRAAMs appearing under the fuselage, their placement is intentional for now, and so long as they're flying off into the wild blue yonder when you launch them, I don't consider that to be a bug.

For me the hud doesn't align with the crosshair, If I were to fire using the HUD, everything would be far off to the left

Would you please elaborate on what exactly is wrong with the cockpit View here? If you're referring to the fact that the 'helmet HUD' (HMD) is off-center relative to the vanilla game crosshair, that's a known issue and a solution is being looked into; that's as much as I can confirm at this time about the HMD. If you're talking about something else... you're gonna have to enlighten me here.Please provide a 'repro mission' with instructions? That is to say, if you noticed a bug with the missiles, please send me a mission from which I can follow clearly listed steps, without any other mods but the F-35B enabled, and if I play this multiple times and follow the steps exactly each time I can on each time see this bug.

If you're talking about the ASRAAMs appearing under the fuselage, their placement is intentional for now, and so long as they're flying off into the wild blue yonder when you launch them, I don't consider that to be a bug.

Sorry let me clear what i meant.

The missle bug is the one that is noted is known bugs. It shows the missile floating a few inches from the actual aircraft.

What i meant by the cockpit is i feel the texturing can be a little more advanced. No real bugs just would like it to look more smooth and like it would in the real aircraft....

So far so good!

Edited by hockeymanjs

hey man i really would love to see the actual real paint scheme for the F-35... some people have posted pics on here of the actual textures. If u dont mind i know someone who can reskin the plane for u

For me the hud doesn't align with the crosshair, If I were to fire using the HUD, everything would be far off to the left
I'll add this as a known issue, but at this time I don't yet have a fix, sorry. :( I've done a bunch of experimenting with the HMD when I could fit it into my schedule, but to date I've had no luck.
The missle bug is the one that is noted is known bugs. It shows the missile floating a few inches from the actual aircraft.
Thanks for being clear here. :) Since you're already aware that I pointed this out, I'll note that once I have external underwing pylons for the F-35B, I can move the missile proxies over to the outermost pylons' launch rails.
hey man i really would love to see the actual real paint scheme for the F-35... some people have posted pics on here of the actual textures. If u dont mind i know someone who can reskin the plane for u
I was actually busy with a move earlier this month and didn't have time to really work on it since; I have however made some non-texture changes to the jet thusfar, mainly config tweaking (i.e. the aforementioned HMD experimenting), changing texture/RVMAT file paths in the model, and thanks to mankyle changing the dorsal side-hinged lift fan doors to a single rear-hinged door (and adding forward/rearward/sideways movement for the right-hand flight stick). I hope to release an update incorporating these model changes soon! As far as your reskin offer/request, I'm currently checking with Ivan about how I can facilitate that, since this is after all a port of official content and thus all of the textures in the mod thusfar are under BI's purview.

Also, re: your comment about how the "missiles stay outside the plane and doors dont open to launch its payload", I'll tell you the same thing that I told hockeymanjs: that's an intentional placeholder in lieu of either AH-99 Blackfoot-style "weapon bays open when internal weapons are selected" (for the doors) or external underwing pylons, but the former has not been achieved while the latter is WIP; once said external underwing pylons are ready the missiles will be moved over to the outermost pylons.

For what it's worth, in Arma 2 the weapons would just materialize in the fighter's centerline and then fall (GBU-12) or fly out the nose (AIM-9L)... so I feel that even "missiles stay outside the plane" is an improvement on that. :p

On account of our very own BusterBlader... not only are there now underwing pylons for external weapons with the ASRAAMs moved over to the outermost ones, but also an under-fuselage gun pod!

tptCm3bl.jpg

Higher-res here, although I must note that the textures are WIP.