chortles

F-35B Lightning II

Did someone want some FIXED wing? Because as per the WIP thread, "look who's baaaaaaaack":
pL23AXxl.jpgnVZKGn9l.jpg

This is a port of the F-35B from Arma 2 using the Arma 2 source files released by Bohemia Interactive, with differences such as having both air-to-air and air-to-ground loadouts using Arma 3 weapons, having a helmet-mounted display (HMD) in the style of the A-164 Wipeout, and possibly more differences in the future. For further information, please read the included readme; a BISIGN and a BIKEY are both included as well for multiplayer use.

DOWNLOAD v1.1 CURRENT (EDIT: Now with fixed mod.cpp)
Download v1.0

I would like to pay special thanks to mankyle for providing me with a config for the HMD as well ongoing config advice, and to NouberNou for providing me with a breakthrough in resolving my problems with the model config.

Changelog:
v1.1

• Changed AA and CAS loadouts:
    • Added weapons to both loadouts, as per the above reference in the Classnames section
    • Now using custom classnames for the loadouts, weapons, and magazines
  • Added LGB loadout
  • Added a script to enable the weapon bays to open when selecting internally-carried weapons, and to automatically close when they are expended or the pilot selects externally-carried weapons or the gun pod
  • Enabled hiddenSelectionsTextures arrays for each loadout (currently only "f35_co.paa") to facilitate future retexturing.
  • Enabled VTOL via "auto-hover" (toggled via action menu or default keybind "X") and short take-off
  • Replaced the AH-99 Blackfoot-derived HMD with an A-164 Wipeout-derived HMD
  • Tweaked model:
    • Added underfuselage gun pod and six underwing pylons
    • Pilot point of view was adjusted
    • Removed various textures that were no longer needed, i.e. gear light is now handled via config and memory points instead of via texture
    • Right-hand flight stick and hand now moves when pitching or diving, and banking/rolling
  • Various additional config tweaks

Known Issues:

• The aircraft tends to pitch upward and roll/list leftward when taking off via auto-hover, should adjust once speed and altitude are gained
  • HUD is off-center relative to "game" crosshair, keep the latter enabled
  • Vehicular sound bug that seems to have appeared with v1.18
  • Wingtip collision lights aren't appearing
Edited by chortles
Updated to v1.1

fucking amazing thank you for bringing this back... Noticed that there are missiles underneath the plane when its pay load is suppose to be internal. Also have u thought of using the actual US Navy airforce colors for the plane? i saw a few pics people have posted of it on here...

Excellent work! Thanks for this! We get the Raptor to complete the set and I'll be a happy man :D

Awesome! Now with the SU-35 and F-18 by Saul and John Spartan we can finally bring some action to the skys :yay: :yay:

Hi I know that this mod doesn't mention the USS Nimitz mod but when I went to take off with the aircraft from the nimitz using the catapults, the player would move around for some reason and then die moments later. The only thing I have found to make it not do this is going ahead and making the plane go into "Auto Hover Mode" which removes the moving and allows you to take off fine.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

What the hack are Zephyr missiles

Missles that when you fire them they go ZEPHYRRRRRR!!!!

Missles that when you fire them they go ZEPHYRRRRRR!!!!

so Sci-Fi missiles?

Nope in all seriousness unused missiles, may have been from A2

Like the aircraft but we need a new F-35 mod made from scratch (not asking you or anything, just saying). The Arma 2 anims, textures and VTOL are terrible because the aircraft was bad in that game (nothing against your work). Thanks for porting it though :)

Thanks Chortles. Good to see this bird back.

the idea is to change some hatches so the plane looks more like the F-35B. I have already done some preliminary changes that I will pass to chortles soon.

I'm also trying to enable the "opening hatches when certain weapons are selected" animation source.

I have started a new thread in the A3 Editing forums.

looks very good, Chortles!!!!!!

I think maybe with some editing of the UI and maybe some graphical upgrades, it would be a brilliant mod, also a loadout editor like something from the F-18 and SU-35 mods, or u could try to collab with John Spartan and Saul.

Tried this mod Yesterday and I like it very much so thanks for porting it and for your work

2 short considerations:

it is just me or the bird can't target ground target?

I agree with IceKracks: a loadout editor like something from the F-18 and SU-35 mods and some graphical upgrades would bring this plane in my topo favorities add-on

@ mankyle: Thank you for your ongoing contributions!

@ LT_Ryan, @ EricJ: The Zephyrs are the longer-range missiles used by the A-143 Buzzard (AA).

@ Lala14: I've since asked TeTeT to give a look at the F-35B with the Nimitz mod in hopes that he'll be able to provide some insight that I don't have, since my Nimitz mod experience is all as a player. For what it's worth, I found that the jet can take off and land in auto-hover mode with Gnat's FSF if it's stationary:

Aul5w76l.jpg

Unfortunately when the FSF was under way the wheels didn't have traction with the flight deck, both with and without simulation="airplaneX", though if immediately performed I found that the F-35B could do a vertical takeoff in time to not end up "in the drink".

@ Icekraks: What sort of "editing of the UI" do you have in mind?

@ Eymerich: At this time the F-35B (CAS) variant is essentially the Arma 2 loadout and uses a pair of GBU-12s, which require "third party" laser designation.

if you want to fix it so the F-35 can stay on gnats boat you might want to talk to the guy making the Canadian Armed Forces pack, because his CH147 Chinook stays on the boat while its moving.

Unfortunately from what I understand the issue comes down to simulation of helicopter class vs. simulation of any other class, i.e. characters.