Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator_2k

Spawning Groups, Vehicles and Site Modules to Minimise Lag?

The mission I have created is a Stratis map, although it's fully loaded with AI, AI occupied static vehicles (to save on performance), 3 mobile aircraft and a mobile tank. The AI at the military sites have simulation managers so there's not a lot going on unless you're the set 1KM within range. I've found the map playable averaging 28 FPS, although a friend who has an inferior Xeon CPU that hits about 2.7K on CPU Benchmark is struggling averaging between 9-15 FPS. He's moaning because on other people's maps he can get close to 35-40 FPS.

I've checked my map's the RPT log but can't find anything obvious. I use to run my mission's tasks one by one, meaning task 2 would popup once the player(s) completed task one, but as there AI units were already spawned I though it was unpractical to control the order players were tasked to complete missions. My question is what's the best way to spawn new assets at different sites when a trigger has completed a designated task. I ask this because I figure it will safe on performance. Not only that, but as I've created a MP mission if I have 8-10 players all over the map the simulation management isn't going to much use when all the players could potentially be within range of the 8-10 different sites thus cancelling out the performance saving feature.

I've learnt how to spawn site modules via its trigger option, I'm just wondering the most practical way of spawning the sites additional assets, i.e. vehicles, items and additional AI soldiers. Will I have to create the spawn scripts that run on the same trigger that activates spawning the site module? Also, if that's the case will I have to create say 10 separate scripts for spawning assets at 10 different sites? or can it be done with one script?

One more question: I have a lot of empty vehicles on my map to simulate vehicle depots, does this cause performance issues?

Cheers

Ian

Probably will get some much more experienced mission makers / scripters replying to this but here's my two cents worth having made many missions for our private dedi server that would be considered ai heavy but run very well.

Firstly go through your buddies GFX settings if he hasnt already - A couple of our guys were getting bad FPS while others were hitting 50+ in a fully populated CQB fight through Kavala after going through their gfx settings and basically knocking it all back a bit both of them were amazed at how well it ran. Not going to go into what settings to use as everyone will have their own idea but for the slight reduction in quality is well worth the increase FPS. Oh and ULTRA anything is a no no on MP missions unless you have some nasa esque stylye PC.

I think the easiest way to gain performance is looking at using some sort of ai cacheing script and spawning stuff in as and when you need it, Personally I would recomend EOS by bangabob for spawning infantry (not so good for vehicle IMHO) but for infantry its very good. We are using it (ver 1.8) in our current mission and all of us agree with 10 players and up to about 50-60 ai the performance is stunning. Occasionally it gets up to 80 - 100 ai and in larger towns we start to notice a performance drop.

View distance can be a killer maybe limit it or turn the grass off.

I dont think empty vehicles will cause too much of a perfomance drop.

Probably will get some much more experienced mission makers / scripters replying to this but here's my two cents worth having made many missions for our private dedi server that would be considered ai heavy but run very well.

Firstly go through your buddies GFX settings if he hasnt already - A couple of our guys were getting bad FPS while others were hitting 50+ in a fully populated CQB fight through Kavala after going through their gfx settings and basically knocking it all back a bit both of them were amazed at how well it ran. Not going to go into what settings to use as everyone will have their own idea but for the slight reduction in quality is well worth the increase FPS. Oh and ULTRA anything is a no no on MP missions unless you have some nasa esque stylye PC.

I think the easiest way to gain performance is looking at using some sort of ai cacheing script and spawning stuff in as and when you need it, Personally I would recomend EOS by bangabob for spawning infantry (not so good for vehicle IMHO) but for infantry its very good. We are using it (ver 1.8) in our current mission and all of us agree with 10 players and up to about 50-60 ai the performance is stunning. Occasionally it gets up to 80 - 100 ai and in larger towns we start to notice a performance drop.

View distance can be a killer maybe limit it or turn the grass off.

I dont think empty vehicles will cause too much of a perfomance drop.

Looking into trigger spawning site modules is easy enough, but trigger spawning objects and additional AI, vehicles is going to be a balls ache and too labour intensive. I think the simulation managers should suffice. There's something causing the drop in FPS. Saying that, I often let him host and when I researched server lag the person's PC build will determine the hosted game's performance. If he's got a weal CPU it'll be best that I host. An i7 920 @ 4.0Ghz still seems to cut the mustard :)