Sign in to follow this  
dayglow

Combined Arms Showcase

I find this mission is hit or miss. You have to kill all the defenders in the camp you are assaulting to continue the mission. Often times a single guy will retreat up the valley to the SE and it causes the mission to stall. The squad leader gives the all clear, but since there is a single guy somewhere in the hills away from the camp it won't stall. I find to advance it I have to go alone into the valley and flush him out.

This has never happened for me, but I haven't played the mission in months. After an excruciating time clearing the camp, during which the attack chopper dive-bombs the camp like an idiot and gets blown up 100% of the time, and the Marshall places itself on an exposed point in clear view of enemy AT and gets blown up 90% of the time, we have to defend the camp against CSAT reinforcements attacking the camp from the SE valley (and an APC which sometimes comes from NE valley), and are sometimes ordered to retreat. I have never seen CSAT retreat from the camp up that valley. Once the all clear is given, always the reinforcements come from that valley. Are you saying that the reinforcements will not come until you pursue and kill the lone guy who retreats from the camp? Has the mission or AI changed to allow fleeing from the camp?

Yes the counter attack doesn't trigger until all opfor is dead. I've had that happen, but sometimes a single opfor seems to hide up the SE valley outside the camp.

Interesting. I guess the only thing to do is to hunt him down. :icon_twisted:

While we're on problems with this mission - I always get a 'mission failed' on the current Dev branch as #1 fails to board the helicopter at the end (i.e. Squad leader tells us all to board, but then never does so himself. Helo waiting eventually times out).

Did you try it with stable branch?

What a hell of a mission. I'm just about to finish it without retreat. Lost all men and just killed the last loon, as ever. What's your story ?

Edited by gambla

What a hell of a mission. I'm just about to finish it without retreat. Lost all men and just killed the last loon, as ever. What's your story ?

Yeah, this is a difficult one, especially you easily lost both armor and helo early on in the mission.

Let me start by emphasizing the positive things: Arma is great. I love so many aspects of the game that it surprises me. Everything from the helicopter flight to content creation.In fact, what i like best of all is that it is a game that encourages the involvement of players in the development of content. I am motivated and excited to learn the programming necessary to make ARMA even better. It was a particularly smart move by the game developers to enable players in this way. I myself am not disappointed and will continue to play.

There is something, however, that I wonder about. I have read that it is good to play through the showcases in order to be "all you can be." This seems very reasonable. However, sometimes I find them impossible. I get killed when surrounded by rock, for example. There is an interesting contrast to my experience however: I have read that many players complete the INFANTRY or the COMBINED ARMS showcases on elite mode and find it "fun" when they succeed. It leads me to wonder if I am completely retarded. I played the INFANTRY showcase on regular mode at least 100 times and failed every time. I tried everything...really. Finally I succeeded...why? I don't know.

Now I am having a similar experience with COMBINED ARMS. I flank left. I flank right. I charge in. I stay back. Just like the infantry showcase, everything I try fails. I have not made it past the first stage and I have tried at least 75 times on regular mode.

Are these players that complete the showcases on elite mode gods or am I just stupid? Stupidity is certainly a possibility but all evidence points to me being completely average.

My question: What is other players' honest experience of these things? Am I alone in my experience?

Combined arms is bloody difficult, I've managed the infantry showcase on veteran many times but I don't think I've ever successfully completed combined arms, so I don't think it's just you.

Oh yeah, this mission is quite difficult. At the end there were only two survivors (me included). The most important thing is the tank. If you are able to protect it until you an your men are in the base you have chance.

I tried this one at least a dozen times, didn't have half as much trouble on any other showcase. My recommendation is to push quick and stay low! If you can keep the tank alive, it makes it a breeze!

It's a lot more feasible with the new weapon resting and recoil changes since you'll actually be able to hit stuff at the ranges you're saddled with. Getting behind a rock on higher ground and nailing MGs and ATs makes all the difference.