Sign in to follow this  
YutaniDesigns

3D Max 2010 and ArmA3 Terrain

Hi All I am new to modelling terrain in to any of the ArmA games so I am not to sure where to go and what to do or even if my software can export to this engine.

Here is where I am at

korangalvalley_zps87503a4a.png

Above I have the Korangal Valley Afghanistan and surrounding area Is it now possible to export this in the ArmA3 and if so where can I go read about it rather than Double Posting.

I hope and look forward to your replies many thanks for your time YD

Can answer your question, but I'm curious as to where you obtained the data and what format it was?

Simple answer: no, it doesn't really work that way.

More complex answer: you could use that mesh (I see it is a terrain compound 3ds max object, which means it has been done this way using terrain curve levels), to create your hight map, and use that inside visitor.

If you have that data in some sort of vector format (which i assume you have based on the terrain type object), you could in theory feed that into a program that export .xyz file format.

@partick N: google maps has the height data for the entire world, last time i checked it was for every in 10m levels. There are other ways to obtain geo height data (both free and paid).

OK Some really great replies

@Patrick It is a 3D Max Plugin that uses Google earth pro you can grab any part of the world with it I normally use it to Map Race circuits for a game called rFactor2

@Pufu the plugin exports into 3 formats Terragen(*.ter) or VTerrain (*.bt) or Unity(*.utr)

@James2464 Many thanks for your link I will give it a dam good read.

You will need to export the mesh to Mudbox (can be downloaded free) and render a height-map which can be imported into Visitor 3. From there the satellite image can be layered etc.

It's rather complicated for beginners, read this: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2_Terrain_Tutorial

3ds Max can render out height maps just fine. No need for mudbox.

1. max can render height maps just fine

2. please link that plug ins you've used

3. you can always grab the geo data in sketch up and import it in max

Probably this:

seems so cheers

yes It is expensive but if you world model I feel it is well worth the money and you will need to pay as it is linked to your PC and OS

Cost $199

3ds Max can render out height maps just fine. No need for mudbox.

Yes many thanks I am looking at the Process of ArmA3 and map making so I am new to the game engine and what it requires once I have the concept grasped I am looking forward to making some Terrains for the Community

Edited by YutaniDesigns