Sign in to follow this  
nedley

E-Sports - Permission Required?

Dear Arma community (& possibly arma3 developers),

I'm developing an E-Sports website where users can challenge other members to a match/tournament on any online game title, where the entry fee of the match/tournament contributes towards the prize pool. As a huge fan of the BI games and the Arma series I would like to host a dedicated server to run these e-sports events.

My question is;

Do I require a license or specific permission from BI (or other games for that matter if anyone has the knowledge) to provide the above service; acting as an agent to facilitate users to compete for prizes.

I have a letter from the Gambling Commission in the UK to state that I do not require a license from them as the result depends to a large degree on skill and knowledge, however, I am not sure if I will require permission/license that will allow our users to play the game which they have obtained from another party. I am hoping that this is not the case, as we in no way claim affiliation with the game developers/studios, but I think it would be mutually beneficial to have an agreement/permission in-place.

Can anyone offer an opinion, point me in the right direction or forward my query to the appropriate persons at BI?

Kind Regards,

Rob

go hire a lawyer or read the terms of service, why would you ask regular people?

Arma really isn't even close to an e-sports title to begun with...

Unless you mod it.

I don't give mine permission, because arma and esport don't match =D But i don't think there is anything on eula that say you cannot host a tournament

go hire a lawyer or read the terms of service, why would you ask regular people?

His question included the devs as well and I'm glad he asked it before going ahead with it. Monetizing game play was tried before and it did not end well.

His question included the devs as well and I'm glad he asked it before going ahead with it. Monetizing game play was tried before and it did not end well.

Thanks for the reply. My site is slightly different to this. We act as an agent between users who wish to challenge each-other for cash. We have agreements in-place with various other game titles and it has been seen an mutually beneficial as our focus and interests are vested in the gamer; our goal is to make E-Sports accessible to every gamer and allow users the chance to be remunerated for their skill and dedication to competitive gaming.

Would it be possible to forward my request to a developer, or other appropriate person?

Many thanks.

Is there a contact or department anyone can provide so I can send a written request?