Sign in to follow this  
tinemem

[wip]updated vest mod

these are based on the bis vests released on public license from baf. they're not straight ports, since they're heavily modified to the standard of a3, including updated rigging, weights, and positioning to better fit the models. i originally designed them for use with the oa coverall since it has a larger waist and required a thicker vest model, but they work well on almost all other combatant models. they're a little too big on civilians.

as far as i know these are the first arma 3 mods to eschew shadow volumes completely, and to only use shadow mapping. i'm trying to popularize that method so future mods will all have this superior form of shadow rendering. i include the mlod so modders can study my named properties section to learn about shadows.

sNrNuNvl.jpg

YgDnfDxl.jpg?1

current wip release featuring beta version of the osprey as mlods to give users option to edit it to version without shemagh or do other edits and improvements. config files already properly set up in folder, the class name is "osprey_shemagh":

http://www.gamefront.com/files/23954491/osprey_shemagh.rar

teaser:

CJN3A0vl.jpg

Glad you're doing a proper port of these! I can't wait to get ahold of the IOTV especially. Now if only it didn't have the nut flap :)

direct link doesn't work

i think you have to download via gamefront here

thanks for the download, might help me. How did you rig them? Did you do it in O2 or by an external program? I'd like to avoid using O2 for that ^^

edit: i noticed that 1st LOD misses the right magazine pouch, but is in every other LOD+pilotview. just in case you haven't already noticed.

Edited by Fennek

What is difference between shadow volumes and shadow mapping?

heeeeeeeellll yes.

Especially that IOTV is gonna be great, even if it'll just be one variant.

Thanks for this :>

they were already rigged, i just needed to reposition them and then adjust some of the weights so the body doesn't clip through. i also needed to consolidate textures to minimize sections and save performance. i'm going to release both vests in mlod format so people can study it and make their own variations.

shadow mapping is a technique where they use the generated z buffer or depth image of an object to calculate casting of shadows. intead of the shadow volume technique used by default, it is calculated by the gpu, taking strain off the cpu, and can do soft gradient shadow fading and transitions, whereas the shadow volume completely fails at this.

i'm trying to popularize shadow mapping in arma 3 because it is a largely unused and undocumented technique, yet there is strong demand for it. it's as simple as adding a few values in the named properties under the geometry lod, but it has the potential to save performance and improve image quality.

i changed the iotv to tan and retextured some parts, it looks fairly similar, but a high quality version would require more work with the shape. also, there are still weighing issues with iotv that need to be sorted.

i changed the iotv to tan and retextured some parts, it looks fairly similar, but a high quality version would require more work with the shape. also, there are still weighing issues with iotv that need to be sorted.

If it uses the same texture as the OA soldiers have for it, I have a template lying around somewhere I think. I could whip up a multicam version for this, or US4CES, if you would want to include another version of it?

i think they use different uv layouts though. i generated a tan texture form the normal map, then texturized it for the fabric look, and contrasted it. some parts still need retexturing,but generally, i think it looks good. here's a screenshot:

doG2Mzql.jpg?1

About the shadow technique.

it's as simple as adding a few values in the named properties under the geometry lod, but it has the potential to save performance and improve image quality.

Would you mind posting what each of your geo LOD properties are? I'm interested.

well,I think these vests seem strange when equip with the Arma3 uniforms.Maybe need suitable uniforms to equip with these vests.But I have to say I love these vests,so keep on it,I will wait for the releaseï¼:)

About the shadow technique.

Would you mind posting what each of your geo LOD properties are? I'm interested.

just "prefershadowvolume=0" to switch from stencil to shadow mapping. it still uses shadow lods to draw the shadow.

"sbsource=visual" works for some models, if you delete lodnoshadow=1 in each visual lod entry. and you don't need shadow lods with this method. but i found out if some models are too complex, it breaks, basically. this method can be used for vests, helmets, accessories, small stuff.

What is difference between shadow volumes and shadow mapping?

Shadow volumes are the normal way. (Wierdly enough)

Each model put into any ArmA game always consists of multiple layers with information. A few for level of detail from different distances, where to attach gear, hitpoints etc. The normal way of doing shadows for ArmA is with the ShadowVolume layers. It's basically a model that is used to cast shadows, instead of the one you're looking at in-game. It's usually of a much lower quality and it has an impact on your CPU resources instead of the GPU. The shadow generated by ShadowVolumes are sharp and often ugly and can clip through your model where it should not, ending up looking really weird in places.

The other way is by using Shadow Buffer. It uses GPU resources.

It can completely ignore the layers you've created to use as a shadow, and instead create a soft shadow generated from the model you are looking at in-game. Basically like any game-engine can that has dynamic lightning effects. It's what should've been used on almost all hings in ArmA, but isn't because I suppose it's not a 100% developed feature.

Shadow volumes are the normal way. (Wierdly enough)

Each model put into any ArmA game always consists of multiple layers with information. A few for level of detail from different distances, where to attach gear, hitpoints etc. The normal way of doing shadows for ArmA is with the ShadowVolume layers. It's basically a model that is used to cast shadows, instead of the one you're looking at in-game. It's usually of a much lower quality and it has an impact on your CPU resources instead of the GPU. The shadow generated by ShadowVolumes are sharp and often ugly and can clip through your model where it should not, ending up looking really weird in places.

The other way is by using Shadow Buffer. It uses GPU resources.

It can completely ignore the layers you've created to use as a shadow, and instead create a soft shadow generated from the model you are looking at in-game. Basically like any game-engine can that has dynamic lightning effects. It's what should've been used on almost all hings in ArmA, but isn't because I suppose it's not a 100% developed feature.

Well explained Alex thank you!

Dear Sir

"File not found, you will be redirected to .........."

Please advise on a correct download link.

Respectfully

Ted

He probably took the files down. He was banned awhile ago so dont expect to get another link.

He probably took the files down. He was banned awhile ago so dont expect to get another link.

How is it that the most creative of the authors are Banned? Ive been playing this game for years and just started trying to learn to mode and so many of the links are broken. Or the Authors have gone missing.

How is it that the most creative of the authors are Banned? Ive been playing this game for years and just started trying to learn to mode and so many of the links are broken. Or the Authors have gone missing.

They get banned for breaking the forum rules, its that simple. This thread has run its course as the author is banned, closing :padlock: