Sign in to follow this  
Yoshi

[WIP] Challenger 2 MBT UK

Hi, I'd like to make a topic on my second project that is in the works for ArmA 3

20110709_428d15a6a1a67bfc8c5cm4a6A0c5dTUT.jpg

This is my second project in the works.

A Challenger 2 main battle tank.

This just happens to be my favorite tank, mainly because I'm British and that it looks absolutely divine. This mod will have the following included and some extras also, but they are a surprise!

Here is my list of things the tank will have.

Specifications:

Tank : 3 Versions.

Weight: 62.5 tonnes

Crew: Commander, Loader/ Operator, Gunner, Driver

Optics: Thermal, Night Vision

Speed: 37mph

Defense: L8 Smoke Grenade Discharger (White) 50 rounds

Offence: 120mm Cannon, 7.76mm Machine gun, 7.76mm chain gun

MAmmo: HESH, APFSDS - 60 rounds each (Main Cannon)

SAmmo: 7.76mm - 4,000 rounds between them (Secondary Weapons)

Engine: Perkins CV-12 V12 1,200 hp (890 kW)

Visual and Sound:

Camo: Desert, Woodland

Animations: Hatches, View Ports, Recoil

Lights: Front, Back and Strobe lights

Interior: fully modeled if possible

Damage Model: Yes

Sounds: Start up, Shut down, Turret training and Reloading sounds

Here is my first pic of the development

ltm7.jpg

Give any feedback, and suggestions, and also anyone who wants to help, feel free to take part

Edited by Yoshi

Looking forward to this! Would be nice to have a fully modelled modern main battle tank with all it's real life bells and whistles!

How close to real life do you intend the tank to be?

As close as I possibly can, but seeing a game limitations on model sizes have to be considered which really annoys me I guess as close as I can get. Though hopefully the model won't take long to do, I've got tonnes of reference images and plans go off for the most part it's simple, but the challenge is keeping the size down as much as possible.

Maybe look into proxies for getting away with a more detailed interior? With all of the interactive cockpit projects starting to pop up, this should be able to accommodate the same functionality. Hopefully, you will be able to get the features that you are hoping. Good luck with the project.

Maybe look into proxies for getting away with a more detailed interior? With all of the interactive cockpit projects starting to pop up, this should be able to accommodate the same functionality. Hopefully, you will be able to get the features that you are hoping. Good luck with the project.

Can't you use extra LODs as well?

Do you have plans for a British APS for the tank?

---------- Post added at 09:56 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

As close as I possibly can, but seeing a game limitations on model sizes have to be considered which really annoys me I guess as close as I can get. Though hopefully the model won't take long to do, I've got tonnes of reference images and plans go off for the most part it's simple, but the challenge is keeping the size down as much as possible.

Someone should make a feedback tracker for increasing the model sizes.

Edited by ProGamer

I think they should also, the fact that there is a limit like that on a pc game is ridiculous. I just brought a six core computer and it's really powerful, I think we should have a more reasonable size limit, say 100k or so.

Do you have plans for a British APS for the tank?

Challenger 2 don't have any APS, and there are no plans of British MoD to install any kind of such system on this tank for it's planned mid life upgrade.

Not to mention that in reality Challenger 2's fleet is in not good condition, many tanks are worn out, from former British tank crew members that are still close to the loop I heard that 50 tanks were scrapped. There are significant problems with ammunition, effect on not well made decision to arm this tank with rifled gun, new ammunition is not manufactured, old ammunition is in short supply and near end of it's service life.

But there are good news as well, MoD plans to improve or even replace fire control system and sights, perhaps engine, suspension and transmission also, which will bring UK Challenger 2's to Challenger 2E standard (it was only prototype, single build AFAIK). Especially improvements for engine, transmission and suspension is needed, because with the latest addon armor package, vehicles combat weight is 74 metric tons, and these components can barely handle such weight.

Great news! An MBT to keep an eye on, given the dearth of Arma3 armour. Many thanks for this contribution!

Here is a small up date, I have managed to model the upper part of the hull that lies underneath the turret. I am now working on that so please wait for the next update :)

4xy2.jpg

Just curious as to whether your information on the tank comes from Wikipedia or from credible military information?

And I believe Arma only has km/h and not mph.

Also, have you considered Franze's interactive cockpit guide for making the interior of the tank interactive? Unless the tank does not use things that would need that.

Edited by ProGamer

I'll look into the interactive interior and see what it includes, and what I would have to do. But no promises, as I've said on my M4 topic I'm really new to 3d modelling.

I did raptor, thanks for them they are a really help. So much information I can use to better my knowledge on the Challenger 2

d9ij.jpg

Here is my tank with the turret modeled, I am now in the process of doing the treads. I have also set my self a detail goal while still keeping the size down, I have dedicated the last few days to modelling the best way I can to achieve realism, though I have a long way to go, I hope this is enough to keep you interested :)

Added a few more details to the turret over the last few hours, Just wanted to post an update for you guys. I am still trying to model decent looking tracks for the challenger 2 but I don't want them to just to be really flat with a texture, so I've got to find a way to give them some more detail.

wv6i.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Yoshi

If your having problems with detail, you could use proxies to give them basically unlimited detail.

I've been told about proxies, but is that literally just the details in a separate 3d file then? If so then I'm definitely adding as much detail as possible. Would that include the tracks as well, also weapons and stuff like that?

Ok, since my last post I've been hard at work on the model, and with the help of my very skilled friend and family member who also 3d models we have managed to model the following things in the last 32 hrs maybe.

Smoke Dischargers, Basic Side armour, 120mm Cannon, Tool boxes, Vents, Medical Kit and Infantry phone Box, 7.76mm Machine gun mount, and my cousin who helped with most of that to be honest then went over the model of the Lower, Upper hulls and the Turret and added some well needed details and refinement for me. Next on my to do list is the tracks or treads that I will put in their own file to avoid over-sizing the main model.

Here is a pick of the development:

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7819/08y8.jpg (213 kB)

I'm also aiming to add a few things to the Challenger 2, that will make the tank more realistic to play.

AMAZING!!

Thanks for putting all your hard effort into this mod!

Ok, since my last post I've been hard at work on the model, and with the help of my very skilled friend and family member who also 3d models we have managed to model the following things in the last 32 hrs maybe.

Smoke Dischargers, Basic Side armour, 120mm Cannon, Tool boxes, Vents, Medical Kit and Infantry phone Box, 7.76mm Machine gun mount, and my cousin who helped with most of that to be honest then went over the model of the Lower, Upper hulls and the Turret and added some well needed details and refinement for me. Next on my to do list is the tracks or treads that I will put in their own file to avoid over-sizing the main model.

Here is a pick of the development:

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7819/08y8.jpg (213 kB)

I'm also aiming to add a few things to the Challenger 2, that will make the tank more realistic to play.

Thats really looking good man... u gotta show me how u can do this so well lol. Are u adding a turret on top or any extra weapons other then the main 120mm cannon?

The real life Challenger 2 comes with a 7.76mm chain gun just left of the main turret, it also comes with a 7.76mm machine gun on the top of the turret for the commander to use, but I'm going to try and add a 50.cal machine gun to it as a second variant of the tank.